Brandon22

Terrell Suggs extended

286 posts in this topic

so apparently the front office is talking about cutting him why not call around the league to see if we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him

I don't think the going rate for an older pass rusher would be a second round pick. I floated that around before. Maybe getting a third would be good depending on the team

I don't think the going rate for an older pass rusher would be a second round pick. I floated that around before. Maybe getting a third would be good depending on the team

As Long As Its A Pick We Can Be Good

so apparently the front office is talking about cutting him why not call around the league to see if we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him

I know he's a big cap hit, but... source for this? 

I'd trade Ngata before I would trade or cut Suggs. We could get more for him and would free up more cap space.

Cutting or trading Ngata only frees up $1M in cap space.

Trading him, if the team picks up the duration of his contract as well, frees us from virtually his entire cap hit does it not?

Getting a +10-15 sack guy isn't easy. We basically had no one next to suggs for over +5 years until one year of kruger.

We need to find a cap friendly deal or trade him

I'd definitely rather trade Suggs instead of outright cutting him. He does have value. Of course, I'd rather get him to a cap friendly deal, but I doubt he takes a pay cut. 

Replacing him is the challenge. It's not easy to replicate an 80 tackle, 10 sack season. 

Trading him, if the team picks up the duration of his contract as well, frees us from virtually his entire cap hit does it not?

No, you're still responsible for the guaranteed money and signing bonus.

It's concerning though how dramatically his play dropped off in the second half last year, given his age.

Did he get hurt again, did teams adjust or has he hit the wall?

Cut Suggs? What are you smoking? They'll re-do his deal if that's what needs to be done. You don't cut DPOY type players, especially guys that are leaders and still in their prime. That'd be idiotic.

A cut could happen, but I think an extension to lower his cap number is more likely. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a trade either if the contract talks don't get anywhere.

A cut could happen, but I think an extension to lower his cap number is more likely. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a trade either if the contract talks don't get anywhere.

Depending on how high the draft pick is, that might be the best option.

Depending on how high the draft pick is, that might be the best option.

I think Rex Ryan would be very interested in him.

It frees up $8 million post June 1st. I've been saying this is an option cause Jimmy Smith and Torrey Smith would be coming up in the next year and that $8 million could be rolled over to have those two signed. If the Ravens exercise Jimmy's fifth year clause, that's $8 million right there.

Edited by BmoreBird22

can probably get two 1st rounders from Oakland for him.

Aren't they super happy with Sio Moore or what ever his name is? I don't think they'd give up a first round pick at all for Suggs, although you might be acting sarcastic.

Edited by BmoreBird22

It frees up $8 million post June 1st. I've been saying this is an option cause Jimmy Smith and Torrey Smith would be coming up in the next year and that $8 million could be rolled over to have those two signed. If the Ravens exercise Jimmy's fifth year clause, that's $8 million right there.

It also leaved 8M on the books for next year so that's not really ideal.

can probably get two 1st rounders from Oakland for him.

I could actually see Suggs' fitting in nicely in Oakland.

Realistically would like to just extend him and lower the cap hit.  I think the neck injury might've affected him or maybe he just got lazy as the season went on.  I don't see how someones play just drops of that drastically for no reason.

It also leaved 8M on the books for next year so that's not really ideal.

What would be the cap hit for 2015 if we cut him post June 1st?

I just read it would be $8 million for this year and next year, but that still may be better than $16 million both years if we can get some value for him.

Edited by BmoreBird22

What would be the cap hit for 2015 if we cut him post June 1st?

I think it would be 7.5M. Not sure right now, but something close.

Edited by gabefergy

I think it would be 7.5M. Not sure right now, but something close.

That is correct. I just looked it up. 

We're talking about Terrell Suggs getting traded (who I think has a better chance of getting extended than Ngata), but why not look to trade Ngata? He has a higher cap hit and it would save us like the same amount of money in either scenario. It's just, at least Suggs' heart is still in it and he is playing more consistently than Ngata.

Edited by BmoreBird22

We're talking about Terrell Suggs getting traded (who I think has a better chance of getting extended than Ngata), but why not look to trade Ngata? He has a higher cap hit and it would save us like the same amount of money in either scenario. It's just, at least Suggs' heart is still in it and he is playing more consistently than Ngata.

Its hard to say Suggs is playing more consistent than Ngata after the disappearing act he pulled in the second half of 2013. More-so it comes down to the contract though. We would eat 15M by cutting or trading Ngata. With Suggs its only 4.6M because he is in the last year of his contract.

Because another team would have to want to trade for him. I doubt many teams will be lining up for Ngata and his $16 million dollar cap number at this point in his career. Suggs at least has some value from the outside looking in. I doubt either gets traded though. Restructure is much more likely.

Because another team would have to want to trade for him. I doubt many teams will be lining up for Ngata and his $16 million dollar cap number at this point in his career. Suggs at least has some value from the outside looking in. I doubt either gets traded though. Restructure is much more likely.

Well if a team traded for Ngata it would only be taking on his 8.5M base salary, which is reasonable. The Ravens would get stuck with 15M in dead money which is why it has zero chance of happening.

Honestly IMO we should keep Suggs. He's pretty much the biggest leader on team right now. The guy averaged a sack per game in the first half of the season, i kno after that his game started to decline but as some mentioned on one of these forums before teams are still game planning against him, between him and Dumervil, Suggs got most of the chips and double teams. We only have couple of true ravens left. I think if Suggs stayed in shape this whole season and played 70 percent of the snaps instead of 45 50 % He would of had 15 sacs intead of ten. If we let him go that will just open up another hole in are team, when this offseason when we should be looking for offensive players. If we did let him go and we do not acquire starter, who will start in Suggs place Upshaw, I really like the kid but  i had high expectation for the guy coming out college, he was a animal at bama but just isnt the same. He has Like 3 sacs in two years, in run game he gets abused sum times and barley gets off blocks he's average player ri now. Pernel is ok too has more sacs then upshaw, but he is really inconstant. Would sum of  you actually want those guys starting for us,no disrespect to Upshaw and Pernel but they aint ready doe       

Yeah I know that.  I think too many people are looking at cutting Suggs to keep Jones or sign a big name FA.  It's not going to happen.  If we cut him, it will be the post June 1st designation and that would be used for Torrey or Jimmy only.  I still highly doubt it happens.

If we trade Ngata, the bonus accelerates and we're on the hook for $15M to not have him on the team.  The only way Ngata isn't going to be on the team next year is if they really want to designate him as a post June 1st cut for an extension for one of the Smiths.

Edited by rmw10

Its hard to say Suggs is playing more consistent than Ngata after the disappearing act he pulled in the second half of 2013. More-so it comes down to the contract though. We would eat 15M by cutting or trading Ngata. With Suggs its only 4.6M because he is in the last year of his contract.

Yeah I know that.  I think too many people are looking at cutting Suggs to keep Jones or sign a big name FA.  It's not going to happen.  If we cut him, it will be the post June 1st designation and that would be used for Torrey or Jimmy only.  I still highly doubt it happens.

If we trade Ngata, the bonus accelerates and we're on the hook for $15M to not have him on the team.  The only way Ngata isn't going to be on the team next year is if they really want to designate him as a post June 1st cut for an extension for one of the Smiths.

Suggs may have pulled a disappearing act as a pass rusher, but he was pretty good in run defense throughout the entire year.

And, I never said eat $15 million in cap. I have only ever referred to post June 1st as a move to keep the Smiths next offseason

Suggs can still play the game at a high level as an all around solid OLB. We need to keep this guy. To lose Lewis, Reed and Suggs in consecutive off seasons is really too much. Sizzle brings that Ravens style of football confidence or 'swagger' that Ray Lewis built. He's the only guy left from the old guard and I know for sure, all the young guys coming in (Like an Elam) see that and feed off of it. 

The market out there for Suggs in Free Agency would be ok, not great. I think he and the FO know that. Best situation for both parties is to keep our man in Baltimore where he belongs. 

I think Rex Ryan would be very interested in him.

If the Jets have the cap space, that's a very likely option.

Suggs may have pulled a disappearing act as a pass rusher, but he was pretty good in run defense throughout the entire year.

And, I never said eat $15 million in cap. I have only ever referred to post June 1st as a move to keep the Smiths next offseason

You questioned above why we don't look to trade Ngata.  If we do trade him, we eat $15M this year.  That's all I was saying.

You questioned above why we don't look to trade Ngata.  If we do trade him, we eat $15M this year.  That's all I was saying.

Post June 1st trade. Why is that so hard to get? We would save $8 million and eat $8 million

Post June 1st trade. Why is that so hard to get? We would save $8 million and eat $8 million

My bad.  I misunderstood you.  Either way, we'd still be eating that $7.5M the following year.  I just don't see it happening.

You still eat the money, it just postpones it to the next season. Either way its not a smart move.

I'd definitely rather trade Suggs instead of outright cutting him. He does have value. Of course, I'd rather get him to a cap friendly deal, but I doubt he takes a pay cut. 

Replacing him is the challenge. It's not easy to replicate an 80 tackle, 10 sack season. 

and on top of that we would be able to choose (somewhat) where he would go, we wouldn't want to cut him and have him ending up on a team in our division....the Bengals want a rush LB

It would suck if we had to let him go. Hopefully we can get him to agree to a 1 to 2 year extension, but with the same overall salary- but less per year. It would allow one of the best Ravens ever to retire with the team, and otherwise our pass rush would really be taking a hit, because it's difficult to replace a 10-sack guy, even though 9-9.5 sack guys have been on our team for the past two seasons.

But I agree with those who said that simply cutting him will do no good.

My bad.  I misunderstood you.  Either way, we'd still be eating that $7.5M the following year.  I just don't see it happening.

You still eat the money, it just postpones it to the next season. Either way its not a smart move.

The Ravens would eat $8 million, then $7.5 million, which I think better than two straight seasons of $16 million if we can get draft picks. I'm just thinking about resigning the two Smiths

The Ravens would eat $8 million, then $7.5 million, which I think better than two straight seasons of $16 million if we can get draft picks. I'm just thinking about resigning the two Smiths

You can cut him after this season and only eat 7.5M and then we can still sign them then.

I think they can find a way to make it work without cutting/trading Ngata.  It's certainly possible that we could sign one of them to a deal that simply kicks in after 2014, with the 2014 salary staying the same.  Even if we don't, there's always ways you can work with the structure to make things work.  I don't see anyway Ngata isn't on the team in 2014, but 2015 is when it becomes questionable.

You can cut him after this season and only eat 7.5M and then we can still sign them then.

I think they can find a way to make it work without cutting/trading Ngata.  It's certainly possible that we could sign one of them to a deal that simply kicks in after 2014, with the 2014 salary staying the same.  Even if we don't, there's always ways you can work with the structure to make things work.  I don't see anyway Ngata isn't on the team in 2014, but 2015 is when it becomes questionable.

I think he'll be cut next season if he has a repeat of 2013, but I do see him on the team next year. I'm just confused why don't hear the possibility of that happening over cutting Suggs

It's concerning though how dramatically his play dropped off in the second half last year, given his age.

Did he get hurt again, did teams adjust or has he hit the wall?

He was playing through a neck injury he got in practice. Don't know if it stayed with him since then but since he got it his play declined big time.

From a WNST interview with Harbs

Harbaugh on Suggs in 2014: "Ozzie and Terrell's people will get it done..I'd like to see him finish as a Raven...and get a statue."

Edited by rmw10

From a WNST interview with Harbs

Harbaugh on Suggs in 2014: "Ozzie and Terrell's people will get it done..I'd like to see him finish as a Raven...and get a statue."

They want Suggs, pass rushers are hard to come by, and we'd like not to have another whole.

i'd add two more years to current contract, level the money down (cap wise) as much as possible and we're all smiling happily ever after

Edited by Mr. Nobody