Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brandon22

Terrell Suggs extended

286 posts in this topic

so apparently the front office is talking about cutting him why not call around the league to see if we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him

I don't think the going rate for an older pass rusher would be a second round pick. I floated that around before. Maybe getting a third would be good depending on the team

I don't think the going rate for an older pass rusher would be a second round pick. I floated that around before. Maybe getting a third would be good depending on the team

As Long As Its A Pick We Can Be Good

so apparently the front office is talking about cutting him why not call around the league to see if we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him

I know he's a big cap hit, but... source for this? 

I'd trade Ngata before I would trade or cut Suggs. We could get more for him and would free up more cap space.

Cutting or trading Ngata only frees up $1M in cap space.

Trading him, if the team picks up the duration of his contract as well, frees us from virtually his entire cap hit does it not?

Getting a +10-15 sack guy isn't easy. We basically had no one next to suggs for over +5 years until one year of kruger.

We need to find a cap friendly deal or trade him

I'd definitely rather trade Suggs instead of outright cutting him. He does have value. Of course, I'd rather get him to a cap friendly deal, but I doubt he takes a pay cut. 

Replacing him is the challenge. It's not easy to replicate an 80 tackle, 10 sack season. 

Trading him, if the team picks up the duration of his contract as well, frees us from virtually his entire cap hit does it not?

No, you're still responsible for the guaranteed money and signing bonus.

It's concerning though how dramatically his play dropped off in the second half last year, given his age.

Did he get hurt again, did teams adjust or has he hit the wall?

Cut Suggs? What are you smoking? They'll re-do his deal if that's what needs to be done. You don't cut DPOY type players, especially guys that are leaders and still in their prime. That'd be idiotic.

A cut could happen, but I think an extension to lower his cap number is more likely. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a trade either if the contract talks don't get anywhere.

A cut could happen, but I think an extension to lower his cap number is more likely. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a trade either if the contract talks don't get anywhere.

Depending on how high the draft pick is, that might be the best option.

Depending on how high the draft pick is, that might be the best option.

I think Rex Ryan would be very interested in him.

It frees up $8 million post June 1st. I've been saying this is an option cause Jimmy Smith and Torrey Smith would be coming up in the next year and that $8 million could be rolled over to have those two signed. If the Ravens exercise Jimmy's fifth year clause, that's $8 million right there.

can probably get two 1st rounders from Oakland for him.

Aren't they super happy with Sio Moore or what ever his name is? I don't think they'd give up a first round pick at all for Suggs, although you might be acting sarcastic.

It frees up $8 million post June 1st. I've been saying this is an option cause Jimmy Smith and Torrey Smith would be coming up in the next year and that $8 million could be rolled over to have those two signed. If the Ravens exercise Jimmy's fifth year clause, that's $8 million right there.

It also leaved 8M on the books for next year so that's not really ideal.

can probably get two 1st rounders from Oakland for him.

I could actually see Suggs' fitting in nicely in Oakland.

Realistically would like to just extend him and lower the cap hit.  I think the neck injury might've affected him or maybe he just got lazy as the season went on.  I don't see how someones play just drops of that drastically for no reason.

It also leaved 8M on the books for next year so that's not really ideal.

What would be the cap hit for 2015 if we cut him post June 1st?

I just read it would be $8 million for this year and next year, but that still may be better than $16 million both years if we can get some value for him.

What would be the cap hit for 2015 if we cut him post June 1st?

I think it would be 7.5M. Not sure right now, but something close.

I think it would be 7.5M. Not sure right now, but something close.

That is correct. I just looked it up. 

We're talking about Terrell Suggs getting traded (who I think has a better chance of getting extended than Ngata), but why not look to trade Ngata? He has a higher cap hit and it would save us like the same amount of money in either scenario. It's just, at least Suggs' heart is still in it and he is playing more consistently than Ngata.

We're talking about Terrell Suggs getting traded (who I think has a better chance of getting extended than Ngata), but why not look to trade Ngata? He has a higher cap hit and it would save us like the same amount of money in either scenario. It's just, at least Suggs' heart is still in it and he is playing more consistently than Ngata.

Its hard to say Suggs is playing more consistent than Ngata after the disappearing act he pulled in the second half of 2013. More-so it comes down to the contract though. We would eat 15M by cutting or trading Ngata. With Suggs its only 4.6M because he is in the last year of his contract.

Because another team would have to want to trade for him. I doubt many teams will be lining up for Ngata and his $16 million dollar cap number at this point in his career. Suggs at least has some value from the outside looking in. I doubt either gets traded though. Restructure is much more likely.

Because another team would have to want to trade for him. I doubt many teams will be lining up for Ngata and his $16 million dollar cap number at this point in his career. Suggs at least has some value from the outside looking in. I doubt either gets traded though. Restructure is much more likely.

Well if a team traded for Ngata it would only be taking on his 8.5M base salary, which is reasonable. The Ravens would get stuck with 15M in dead money which is why it has zero chance of happening.

Honestly IMO we should keep Suggs. He's pretty much the biggest leader on team right now. The guy averaged a sack per game in the first half of the season, i kno after that his game started to decline but as some mentioned on one of these forums before teams are still game planning against him, between him and Dumervil, Suggs got most of the chips and double teams. We only have couple of true ravens left. I think if Suggs stayed in shape this whole season and played 70 percent of the snaps instead of 45 50 % He would of had 15 sacs intead of ten. If we let him go that will just open up another hole in are team, when this offseason when we should be looking for offensive players. If we did let him go and we do not acquire starter, who will start in Suggs place Upshaw, I really like the kid but  i had high expectation for the guy coming out college, he was a animal at bama but just isnt the same. He has Like 3 sacs in two years, in run game he gets abused sum times and barley gets off blocks he's average player ri now. Pernel is ok too has more sacs then upshaw, but he is really inconstant. Would sum of  you actually want those guys starting for us,no disrespect to Upshaw and Pernel but they aint ready doe