Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

childsgame

Please get Kyle Shanahan - Edit: hired by the Cleveland Browns

55 posts in this topic

With no more oc jobs, we need to get him back.

We should make QB or WR coach, just make it work.

If Kubiak leaves at the end of next year he could take over and be OC.

This would be great for us.  Cmon Ozzie, Harbs, Biscotti reach out to this guy!!

He lives right down I-95.

This would be great for us.  Cmon Ozzie, Harbs, Biscotti reach out to this guy!!

Its kinda pointless now. We already have a QB coach and there are better WR coaches we can reach out to. If Kubiak leaves, we could promote Dennison to OC anyway.

Unfortunately, he wants nothing less than an OC job.....

The only reason I might agree is if Kubiak is snatched up next year, we would already have a replacement OC with basically the same system in place.

The only reason I might agree is if Kubiak is snatched up next year, we would already have a replacement OC with basically the same system in place.

Ding ding ding!

Revisit his situation in a few days, and if he settles for WR coach, hire him. 

Then when Kubiak leaves (it's inevitable), we have Shanahan. 

Bravens292, on 30 Jan 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

... If Kubiak leaves, we could promote Dennison to OC anyway.

If Kubiak leaves he will take Dennison with him. They have played together and worked together since forever. No way Dennison stays if Kubiak leaves.

Ding ding ding!

That's my dream scenario. Sure we could keep Dennison, but he didn't call plays as the OC in Houston. Shanahan has become known as a play caller and could step right in if/when Kubes moves on to a HC gig.

The only question marks are how Shanny would handle an effective demotion, and how well he would mesh under Kubiak and the rest of the staff.

Ding ding ding!

Thats a good idea but is he really a good Wr coach? He probably would be better as  offensive consultant or  a pass game coordinator( i doubt that happens) .

Thats a good idea but is he really a good Wr coach? He probably would be better as  offensive consultant or  a pass game coordinator( i doubt that happens) .

Consultant would be okay, but WR coach would fill a vacancy too. And, it would be good to have someone who's already worked for Kubiak as WR coach

Thats a good idea but is he really a good Wr coach? He probably would be better as offensive consultant or a pass game coordinator( i doubt that happens) .

I think he'd be fine. I also think as fans, we tend to overestimate the effect of position coaches, we tend to give them too much blame (I'd say too much credit too, but I've never seen a fan praise a position coach).

Of course, I'd want the top coaches we could get, but we stashed Mike Nolan as WR coach until he could take over as DC and the world didn't end. I think if Shanny wants to come aboard, we fit him in wherever...even RB coach.

TXRavensFan, on 31 Jan 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:TXRavensFan, on 31 Jan 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

...The only question marks are how Shanny would handle an effective demotion, and how well he would mesh under Kubiak and the rest of the staff.

Coaches take promotions and demotions all the time and Kyle worked under Kubiak in Texas for 3 yrs before joining his father in Washington.

Coaches take promotions and demotions all the time and Kyle worked under Kubiak in Texas for 3 yrs before joining his father in Washington.

While that is true, the dynamic in this case is pretty unusual:

-Shanahan worked for Kubiak 4 years ago in a higher position

-Shanahan is a finalist for this OC position only to have Kubiak swoop in a the last second to take the job

-To take a job with the Ravens, Shanahan would have to take a demotion and effectively be in the same spot he started in 8 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, is love for it to happen, and with no other OC positions, it might, just don't know how happy he'd be about it. Also, don't know if the fact that Kubes has known Shanahan since he's been in diapers would help or hurt lol.

Consultant would be okay, but WR coach would fill a vacancy too. And, it would be good to have someone who's already worked for Kubiak as WR coach

They could change Dennison's title to that if Kyle comes on board so he can be the QB coach.  It's not like they're locked into things, and Dennison will be floating anyway.

Shanahan is more younger and energetic it would be a huge safety net if kubiak's health gets worse or he leaves.  QB coach and let dennison do something else. 

Ding ding ding!

Its really no brainer. They need to think of the future.  Shanahan should jump on this its like wait a year and its yours

They could change Dennison's title to that if Kyle comes on board so he can be the QB coach.  It's not like they're locked into things, and Dennison will be floating anyway.

This makes sense, Dennison was presented as the offensive assistant, and QB coach only in title. 

I agree with this, Kyle can be hired as QB coach and Dennison's title to change to senior offensive assistant also looking over running backs

"Unfortunately Kyle, working for your father has knocked your career back 4 years. Now accept the WR coach position and like it."

titles dont seem to mean much anyways.

if he wants to here there is a place on the ravens.

call him the pass game coordinator but secretly be the QB coach while dennision is called the QB coach but installs the offense and serves as glue and kubiak oversees everything on offense as the offence HC.

all in secret of course.

should make some sense.

I'm pretty happy he's not here. If the Ravens or Kubiak wanted him, he would already be here.

I believe Kubiak may not want another head coaching job. He probably doesn't need it financially and last year it had a negative impact on his health.

I'm pretty happy he's not here. If the Ravens or Kubiak wanted him, he would already be here.

I don't know. Maybe he felt he could get work somewhere else for OC and declined an offer from us. Now that he sees no team appears interested he could come to his senses and accept a job here. But no team wanting him is kind of strange, maybe he wouldn't be an excellent find.

I don't know. Maybe he felt he could get work somewhere else for OC and declined an offer from us. Now that he sees no team appears interested he could come to his senses and accept a job here. But no team wanting him is kind of strange, maybe he wouldn't be an excellent find.

yeah, but this also emerged as process of signing Kubiak unveiled lol

"Ozzie Newsome was never involved in the coaching discussions (regarding Kubiak)*. Steve Bisciotti wanted to hire Kyle Shanahan. Seeking feedback on Shanahan, John Harbaugh called Rick Dennison with whom he had a previous relationship. During that conversation Dennison shared that Gary Kubiak wanted the Ravens OC job and only that job."

Really like this idea, seems Dennison was hired more because he will be another mouth to quickly spread Kubiak's system and help the players understand it faster. Besides, if Kubiak was the playcaller anyway in Houston, it seems Dennison would be much better suited to an offensive assistant, letting him float and spread the message, and let Shannahan deal directly with Flacco. Besides, again, Kubiak is going to have a ton of input with Flacco anyway so not sure any of these titles other than Kubiak and OC matter anyway...just get the best coaches you can 

I really like the kubiak entourage here, but I do think after that mini stroke,  teams did back off and I feel he will use this year wisely he will show his health and display our new offense.He will be gone next year,maybe the following year along with his crew.We have an easy schedule So what do we need A BACK UP PLAN .we really need kyle shan here.  And for fun what team will KUBIAK  go to,,,he was born in HOUSTON TEXAS so I see him as the dallas cowboys HC  ,,,,

That's not true. When the Ravens were working on getting Kubiak, Shanahan was a reported piece of the coaching "dream team". He just didn't want a lower role. With the Browns passing on him (which I don't understand since they want Manziel), there aren't any other openings other than us possibly in a year or two.

I think the Ravens want him and that's why there's news on him in the LFW article and all

That's not true. When the Ravens were working on getting Kubiak, Shanahan was a reported piece of the coaching "dream team". He just didn't want a lower role. With the Browns passing on him (which I don't understand since they want Manziel), there aren't any other openings other than us possibly in a year or two.

I think the Ravens want him and that's why there's news on him in the LFW article and all

There was also news about Norv Turner in the LFW the other day - but we reportedly never reached out to him - it was because he was leaving the Browns (AFCN). Actually, there were several articles about him and he got a few headlining pictures. Similarly, Shanahan got a 21 word mention (tweet) because the Browns are apparently turning him down and he'd been linked to us before.

He may still come here, I was under the impression that he was going to but was glad to hear he would not be.

There was also news about Norv Turner in the LFW the other day - but we reportedly never reached out to him - it was because he was leaving the Browns (AFCN). Actually, there were several articles about him and he got a few headlining pictures. Similarly, Shanahan got a 21 word mention (tweet) because the Browns are apparently turning him down and he'd been linked to us before.

He may still come here, I was under the impression that he was going to but was glad to hear he would not be.

Norv Turner kept popping up because people thought we should contact him. Kyle Shanhan is popping up because we did contact him and I think people still feel this is a good fit for him. 

Either way, I would prefer him. I don't see why you don't like him. Does it have to do with his tenure in Washington?

I really like the kubiak entourage here, but I do think after that mini stroke, teams did back off and I feel he will use this year wisely he will show his health and display our new offense.He will be gone next year,maybe the following year along with his crew.We have an easy schedule So what do we need A BACK UP PLAN .we really need kyle shan here. And for fun what team will KUBIAK go to,,,he was born in HOUSTON TEXAS so I see him as the dallas cowboys HC ,,,,

I think Dennison is more than capable if something were to happen with Kubiak, either health wise or leaving for another job.

Shanahan was passed on for reasons.

Norv Turner kept popping up because people thought we should contact him. Kyle Shanhan is popping up because we did contact him and I think people still feel this is a good fit for him. 

Either way, I would prefer him. I don't see why you don't like him. Does it have to do with his tenure in Washington?

In short, yes. Outside of 2012, with an RG3 who took the NFL by storm, Shanahan's offenses were really bad. Poor selection and growth of QBs, mediocre offenses when you look at it as a whole. There are reports that he was a whiner, divisive, in his father's pocket, and hired unqualified assistants. Fans were calling for his head. He's too tied in with his father and what happened in D.C. was frankly a disaster.

yeah, but this also emerged as process of signing Kubiak unveiled lol

"Ozzie Newsome was never involved in the coaching discussions (regarding Kubiak)*. Steve Bisciotti wanted to hire Kyle Shanahan. Seeking feedback on Shanahan, John Harbaugh called Rick Dennison with whom he had a previous relationship. During that conversation Dennison shared that Gary Kubiak wanted the Ravens OC job and only that job."

If John under Jerry or Snyder, he would be on the street right now if he goes ahead with his decision....lol

Steve has been repeating that he is just a fan like all of us but he has special treatment that he can get his answer from John or Ozzie.....

What a badass owner.......

Kyle is going to find a OC job somewhere.  His not settling down for anything lower than that.   

He actually had HC asperation after year1 with RG3 and his stock was pretty hot then.   

I think Dennison is more than capable if something were to happen with Kubiak, either health wise or leaving for another job.

From how I understand it, Shanny was mainly passed on because Kubes is a viewed as the better OC and teacher of this offense he is bringing in. It like the teacher vs the student. Yes the student might add his own flavor and creativity on the system, but is he the better teacher of the system. Kubiak imo was the right selection and judging from Harbs was probably the early favorite before the Ravens learned he was dead set on a HC job. So if you can't get Kubes then you certainlylook to Shanny, but I'm not sure we were completelyy sold on Shanny or else the search would have ended as quickly as it did with Kubes.

Shanny may have been passed on for a reason, but with Harbs saying he wanted to name a OC by Monday and admitting that his initial intent for interviewing Dennison was to get info on Shanny, I think he was probably the favorite at that point. So the same can be said to the extent that he was a favorite for a reason. If you can get him on the staff, surrounded by better coaches and in a top flight organization, it seems like a win for all parties involved. You get to basically give Shanny a 1-2 year trial run and if Kubes does leave, you basicallyy know all you need to know about Shanny and if he's fit to be the OC.

Hire him as a senior offensive assistant/OC in waiting type position. Allow him to do the advance scouting and gameplaning for future opponents. Basically the same role Spags had last season before getting the DB job.

Kyle is going to find a OC job somewhere.  His not settling down for anything lower than that.   

He actually had HC asperation after year1 with RG3 and his stock was pretty hot then.

It's all fine to say that but the problem is just like with Kubes HC search, there has to be available positions. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Browns OC job is the last open spot. Unless one of the OCs from the Super Bowl teams get the Browns job and need to be replaced.

If this is true, there is a reason Kyle was passed up for so many OC position and he probably needs todo some damage control on his career and needs a stable organization to do so. His stock my have been hot then but it's clearler low now. I mean Caldwell and Hostler both got promotions after the worse offensive season in Ravens history, so if someone wanted Kyle I'm sure he would have been hired by now. I think at this point he has to do take the best available job or sit out a year.

From how I understand it, Shanny was mainly passed on because Kubes is a viewed as the better OC and teacher of this offense he is bringing in. It like the teacher vs the student. Yes the student might add his own flavor and creativity on the system, but is he the better teacher of the system. Kubiak imo was the right selection and judging from Harbs was probably the early favorite before the Ravens learned he was dead set on a HC job. So if you can't get Kubes then you certainlylook to Shanny, but I'm not sure we were completelyy sold on Shanny or else the search would have ended as quickly as it did with Kubes.

Shanny may have been passed on for a reason, but with Harbs saying he wanted to name a OC by Monday and admitting that his initial intent for interviewing Dennison was to get info on Shanny, I think he was probably the favorite at that point. So the same can be said to the extent that he was a favorite for a reason. If you can get him on the staff, surrounded by better coaches and in a top flight organization, it seems like a win for all parties involved. You get to basically give Shanny a 1-2 year trial run and if Kubes does leave, you basicallyy know all you need to know about Shanny and if he's fit to be the OC.

Hire him as a senior offensive assistant/OC in waiting type position. Allow him to do the advance scouting and gameplaning for future opponents. Basically the same role Spags had last season before getting the DB job.

From what I have heard, shanahan was not going to be the guy. It would have been Hostler if Kubiak didn't become available.

In short, yes. Outside of 2012, with an RG3 who took the NFL by storm, Shanahan's offenses were really bad. Poor selection and growth of QBs, mediocre offenses when you look at it as a whole. There are reports that he was a whiner, divisive, in his father's pocket, and hired unqualified assistants. Fans were calling for his head. He's too tied in with his father and what happened in D.C. was frankly a disaster.

John Beck was a possible starter at one point, if that tells you how bad the situation was. It's not like the Redskins ever had talent. Didn't they start Rex Grossman (sp) at one point? No offense can operate without a quarterback unless you have a stellar offensive line and running back. They had neither. Even then, I've only seen it happen in Minnesota.

When he had talent to work with, he did great things.

I can imagine he might be whiny and unhappy in one of the most dysfunctional organizations in the NFL. I haven't heard anything bad from his time in Houston

he know his job and he is good at it,I see shanahan as an arrogant young man and anything short of an OC position he may feel slighted,I get that. Do you think Dennison will stay? I think he is out with kubiak before the ink drys... if we want to talk consistency or continuity then it has to be shanahan ,, he is of the same system,,,,  

he know his job and he is good at it,I see shanahan as an arrogant young man and anything short of an OC position he may feel slighted,I get that. Do you think Dennison will stay? I think he is out with kubiak before the ink drys... if we want to talk consistency or continuity then it has to be shanahan ,, he is of the same system,,,,

I can see why you would think Dennison would leave with Kubiak, but Kubiak could be just as likely to hire Shanahan who was his OC in Houston.

Its too late now though. Shanahan had his chance to join Kubiak here and decided not to.

From what I have heard, shanahan was not going to be the guy. It would have been Hostler if Kubiak didn't become available.

I think at this point no one will ever know unless Harbs actually comes out with his true intentions. I don't know about yourself, but I know I don't have any inside info lol, so I just basically go off of reports and peicing together what makes sense. Hostler very well may have been the guy, but I think it's clear with Dennison being brought in to talk about Shanny that he was at least a legit option. So there had to be something Harbs liked about the guy to give him 2 interviews and do a thorough background search on the guy that lasted up to the 11th hour of his decision. I can't really see the downfall to adding the guy, unless of course Dennison's view of him was poor which led to him dropping Kubiak's name in the first place.

I think at this point no one will ever know unless Harbs actually comes out with his true intentions. I don't know about yourself, but I know I don't have any inside info lol, so I just basically go off of reports and peicing together what makes sense. Hostler very well may have been the guy, but I think it's clear with Dennison being brought in to talk about Shanny that he was at least a legit option. So there had to be something Harbs liked about the guy to give him 2 interviews and do a thorough background search on the guy that lasted up to the 11th hour of his decision. I can't really see the downfall to adding the guy, unless of course Dennison's view of him was poor which led to him dropping Kubiak's name in the first place.

Anything is possible I suppose, but I think that boat has sailed.

John Beck was a possible starter at one point, if that tells you how bad the situation was. It's not like the Redskins ever had talent. Didn't they start Rex Grossman (sp) at one point? No offense can operate without a quarterback unless you have a stellar offensive line and running back. They had neither. Even then, I've only seen it happen in Minnesota.

When he had talent to work with, he did great things.

I can imagine he might be whiny and unhappy in one of the most dysfunctional organizations in the NFL. I haven't heard anything bad from his time in Houston

Yet when you consider that they actually traded for Beck (from the Ravens), mostly at the behest of Kyle Shanahan then you can start to hold him accountable. Shanahan on Beck:

"My first year as a position coach in the league, Houston had me scout all the quarterbacks coming out that year," Kyle Shanahan said. "That was the JaMarcus Russell year, with Brady Quinn, Trent Edwards, Kevin Kolb and Beck. So they asked me who I'd pick if I had the 10th pick in the draft. I told them Beck. They said he's not worth the 10th pick in the draft. I was standing on the table for him. I've never seen a guy play that well in college."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/1.html

They felt comfortable going into the 2011 season with either Rex Grossman or John Beck as their starting QB...

The same guy that recommended, and got, the Redskins to sign Rex Grossman 4 times to 1-year deals. Went out and got Donovan McNabb only for him to turn from a Pro Bowler to benchwarmer - McNabb later spoke out against the Shanahans. Then RG3 fell in their lap, was excellent for a year, and then the debacle of 2013 where RG3 ended up benched.

Also, he choose to jump ship to DC to work with daddy. Made a lateral move.

Yet when you consider that they actually traded for Beck (from the Ravens), mostly at t

he behest of Kyle Shanahan then you can start to hold him accountable. Shanahan on Beck:  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/1.htmlThey felt comfortable going into the 2011 season with either Rex Grossman or John Beck as their starting QB...The same guy that recommended, and got, the Redskins to sign Rex Grossman 4 times to 1-year deals. Went out and got Donovan McNabb only for him to turn from a Pro Bowler to benchwarmer - McNabb later spoke out against the Shanahans. Then RG3 fell in their lap, was excellent for a year, and then the debacle of 2013 where RG3 ended up benched.Also, he choose to jump ship to DC to work with daddy. Made a lateral move.

In all fairness, nor everyone is a good talent evaluator. Even Ozzie has had his fare share of busts, so it's not like Kyle Shanahan is alone. Remember, JaMarcus Russell went first overall.

However, Joe Flacco showed that with a piss poor offensive line, no run game, and bad receivers, you will not succeed. Kyle Shanahan had little to no help.

RGIII didn't just fall into their laps, although, I'm not sure who advocated for that trade. I will say he was not worth the second overall pick. He's a streaky passer and a poor decision maker, but Kyle was able to tailor the offense to him and make him the OROY after the Redskins decided to get some talent on the offense. 2013 should have been seen coming from a mile away. Without the read option, RGIII is a bad quarterback. Remember, Kyle couldn't force passes or throw passes right to the defender. Kyle can just try to put RGIII in a position to succeed. Alfred Morris did fairly well, though.

I would refer back to Houston. That's a team that valued their offense and always had something to work with. Kyle took everything and turned Matt Schaub, who we know to be a very sporadic passer, and turned him into the NFL's leading passer.

His tenure in Washington may not have been great, but that's more the result of bad decision making on the quarterback and a lack of good running backs. I wouldn't say Kyle is a bad play caller because the players couldn't execute

I've said this before, but I wouldn't put a great deal of stock in that La Canfora piece; it wasn't corroborated by any other outlets or beat reporters, and comes off as sour grapes out of that circus of a franchise. There are more articles about how the players liked him and his offense.

I saw that the browns have hired Kyle to be their offensive coordinator.

They did, just to spite us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

They did, just to spite us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I guess you can say that but he was clearly the best offensive coordinator left . 

I guess you can say that but he was clearly the best offensive coordinator left . 

I know I was just joking

berad, on 31 Jan 2014 - 5:44 PM, said:

... RG3 fell in their lap...

RG3 is the gift that keeps on giving...to St. Louis   :)