25 replies to this topic

#1 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Just wanted to create a place to discuss ways to improve the oline. Coaching is one way and that's difficult for us as fans to discuss, but available personnel is something we can.

Chances are Oher will be gone. KOs health is a question mark and Gino is mostly as well.

Who can we target in FA or draft that will get our level of talent to where it needs to be and who fits the new stretch run scheme that will likely be implemented.

One target I think we should go after is Jonathan Martin. Talented, young, classy and intelligent but likely will find it tough to find work.
I'd take a chance on him.
Google me.

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

I'm not in favor at all of signing Martin. I'm sorry to hear about his being bullied but he's not Raven material, not to mention he doesn't really have the toughness to be an NFL offensive lineman. His lack of toughness is documented back to his college days. An offensive linemen that lacks toughness is no bueno.

I'm not yet sure if we decide to go to FA to solve the RT or C issue. We have Jensen and Wagner under contract and they haven't been given a shot yet. Reid is going to be cut, in my opinion. Doesn't fit the scheme, and... well... he sucks in any scheme, sorry! Shipley is under contract for another year, but I doubt we retain him if we add a veteran center. We need a veteran Considering we just drafted Jensen and Wagner, I'm not altogether sure if we draft more linemen. If we acquire more, they will likely be free agents. We usually one keep 8 linemen, so it'll be tight. Here's how I see the roster looking:

LT: Eugene Monroe, Wagner/Vet/Draft Pick

LG: Kelechi Osemele, Ryan Jensen

C: Gino Gradkowski, AQ Shipley/Veteran center

RG: Marshal Yanda, Ryan Jensen

RT: Rick Wagner, Eric Winston or draft pick

Our line is dependent on Gino's growth and whether or not Wagner and Jensen can get up to speed. I doubt Wagner and Jensen get cut since they were just drafted,  and the starters are just about set, too. That bring us to six players guaranteed a spot. Then we get to Shipley and Reid, which is eight. I think we sign a vet at RT, probably Winston, and Reid gets cut. 

The only problem is finding a backup left tackle. Unless we want to name Wagner the swing tackle, who starts at RT and fills in at LT in case of injury, we may need a LT backup. 

TL;DR? Monroe, KO, Gino, Yanda, Wagner and Jensen are guaranteed a spot. After that, the roster is in flux, but I think the last two spots will be Eric Winston (or another vet) and AQ Shipley (or a vet center).

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,888 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I wouldn't sign Martin either.  He's too soft, and as said above, that dates back to before this whole bullying incident.

Right now, the guys under contract are Yanda, Osemele, Gradkowski, Wagner, Shipley, Jensen, Reid, Stephens, and Mims.  I doubt you'll see the last 3 on the team next year.

Assuming Monroe is re-signed, we should have 3 of 5 spots filled pending KO comes back healthy.

LT - Monroe, Wagner

LG - Osemele, Shipley

C - Gradkowski, Jensen

RG - Yanda

RT - Wagner

C and RT are the obvious positions that need to be filled.  KO could also possibly kick back out to RT making LG and C the big needs.  I maintain that C will be solved via FA, while RT will be through the draft or internally.  Winston may change that with Kubiak here, but C is the position we should be focused on in FA since the draft class is pretty weak there.  Mack is probably a pipe dream, but there are some other quality options that would be an improvement over Gino.  De La Puente, Dietrich-Smith, Cook, Velasco, Ohrnberger, Smith, Walton, etc.  I don't see us going into camp without one of those guys signed.

Edited by rmw10, 29 January 2014 - 07:04 PM.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#4 radicals

radicals

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

I feel we need to resign Eugene Monroe to a long-term deal. That will be the start of things turning around. We need to let Oher walk. I would like to give Gradkowski more time but I can't see things getting better right away. We need another veteran, at either center or right tackle to improve things.

Edited by radicals, 29 January 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#5 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up Eric Winston.

Posted Image

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,888 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

I feel we need to resign Eugene Monroe to a long-term deal. That will be the start of things turning around. We need to let Oher walk. I would like to give Gradkowski more time but I can't see things getting better right away. We need another veteran, at either center or right tackle to improve things.

I don't think they're interested in giving Gino more time.  There was a report that they like Gino, but feel he's better served as a reserve lineman than a starter.  There's a reason they said they wanted to get bigger in the interior.  We already have KO and Yanda there, so that leaves one man that is likely to be replaced.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#7 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

We need to sign a vet centre at least to push Gino, preferably overtake him. Again, I'd do all I can to sign Alex Mack

#8 Stephenjr

Stephenjr

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Just wanted to create a place to discuss ways to improve the oline. Coaching is one way and that's difficult for us as fans to discuss, but available personnel is something we can.

Chances are Oher will be gone. KOs health is a question mark and Gino is mostly as well.

Who can we target in FA or draft that will get our level of talent to where it needs to be and who fits the new stretch run scheme that will likely be implemented.

One target I think we should go after is Jonathan Martin. Talented, young, classy and intelligent but likely will find it tough to find work.
I'd take a chance on him.

Was just thinking the same thing. I just watched his interview with Dungy 10 minutes ago Lol. He did pretty well at RT towards the end of his rookie season. Have Dolphins cut him yet? If not, Would they want a draft pick for him?

#9 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

I like Goodwin  if he plans to play this year or Ohrnberger @ center . I would not be opposed to Martin I think in a decent locker room like ours he could do well . Jensen or wagner could be a viable option too just not sure where.

#10 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

I think you all nailed our options. And with our new OC, bigger may not necessarily be better.

However, everyone knows the center is a tough position. I can't see the Ravens giving up on Gino after only 1 season. Bringing in a FA as comp for Gino -- yes but who can we affort? Not someone that is going to take his job. And there really is NO draftable center that is going to start for the Ravens. Swanson is the only one worth taking in the 1st 3 rounds and I don't see Ozzie targeting him.

With our 3 meaningful draft picks we go after, OL, TE, WR, FS but not a center. And I can see us going FS 1st round cuz after that, no one is worthy of selection if we pick our other priorities.

Good topic.

Edited by Bruce_Almty, 29 January 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#11 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

I would trade a late pick for Marcus Cannon, he's in his final year and can compete at RT or LG.

I'd also look at Bengals FA swing tackle Anthony Collins, he's a great pass blocker and strong at the LOS but the market wasn't there for him last time so I'm sure he's looking for a contract and starting role.

For centre I would look at Goodwin or Wendell, Goodwin is old and far from dominating but he won't make mistakes, Wendell is one of the best run blockers at the position but not much better than Gino at pass pro. 

I'd stay away from Martin and Winston, Martin was soft before the bullying fiasco and Winston has been on the decline and has been terrible the last two seasons. 

#12 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

a Dark horse for our C positon is Fernado Velasco we played against him last year he was a ( i hate them)  Steelers and he played pretty good for them 6'4 312 much bigger and taller than Gino would also be cheap pick up but vaulable one.

#13 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

If we want to have a solid o line Gino can't be our starting center.Like rmw10 said,Ozzie already acknowledged that when he said we need bigger interior lineman.Find a center,resign Monroe,get back Osemele and then throw in Yanda and that should take care of 4/5ths of our line.Idk what we'll do about the rt spot.Hopefully reality will slap Oher in the face and he'll come back for cheap.Andre Smith was looking around for about 2 months before he settled for the $6 mil a year deal the bengals gave him.If we could get Oher back for $2-4 mil I'd be ok with that.

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,268 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Why on earth would any team bring in Martin after that fiasco in Miami? Not only is he soft but he's terrible to boot.

Eric Winston is a possibility as are a number of veteran FAs like Anthony Collins, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Ryan Harris, Geoff Schwartz etc.

I would also be shocked if we don't spend an early draft pick on the OL.

@gabefergy

#15 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

a Dark horse for our C positon is Fernado Velasco we played against him last year he was a ( i hate them)  Steelers and he played pretty good for them 6'4 312 much bigger and taller than Gino would also be cheap pick up but vaulable one.

he got a pretty bad injury didnt he?

#16 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

I was going to say the same thing they should have pouncey back and he did a good job for them . I really don't see us drafting another rookie center.

Edited by runamuk, 29 January 2014 - 08:31 PM.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#17 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

I was hoping we would pick him up this season, he's a mauler and plays smart but he's really slow and heavy footed.

#18 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I think you all nailed our options. And with our new OC, bigger may not necessarily be better.

However, everyone knows the center is a tough position. I can't see the Ravens giving up on Gino after only 1 season. Bringing in a FA as comp for Gino -- yes but who can we affort? Not someone that is going to take his job. And there really is NO draftable center that is going to start for the Ravens. Swanson is the only one worth taking in the 1st 3 rounds and I don't see Ozzie targeting him.
With our 3 meaningful draft picks we go after, OL, TE, WR, FS but not a center. And I can see us going FS 1st round cuz after that, no one is worthy of selection if we pick our other priorities.

Good topic.

Center is part of the OL, every bit as important as the other positions, as we just saw this past year. In my little dream world, we leave the draft/FA with a WR, RT and center who can all start right away
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#19 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Absolutely, the most pressing issue of the offseason is getting our O line in order. 

1. We have to nail down LT. I pray that means Monroe signs a long-term, but reasonable deal. We know our FO. There is no guarantee we'll sign him if he wants more than we think he's worth. That would be a disaster. As many question marks as we have on the O line, we don't need to add having to find who our LT is

2. Agree with others who say that rolling with Gino as the starting Center, only to be pushed by Jensen is a crap shoot and if we lose, we put the entire offense that we now have so much hope for in jeopardy. Perhaps we won't give up on him yet ... if we do, then we could make a push for De La Puente (he would be the best option at a price we might be able to afford). If we still think he could be our future, we'll still bring in a 30 something vet that won't require a ton of cash and will be the odds on favorite to start this season. 

3. I just don't see Oher in our future. I see him in a similar situation as Dickson. We are disappointed enough in his decline that we're just ready to part ways. So - how do we replace him? There are a multitude of options. We could potentially draft this position and who ever we draft could be competing for a job with Wagner on the outside. It is also possible that we could draft a big guard and push KO back to RT.  We could also bring in a low cost RT like Winston or someone else to compete. 

In my mind, without question, at a minimum we bring in a center with experience and draft in the top 3 at least 1 maybe 2 O linemen and that guy could be a tackle, guard or both. 

Edited by balfan23, 29 January 2014 - 08:41 PM.

25p4y07.jpg

#20 JEEPercreepermd

JEEPercreepermd

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

I think we definitely have to sign a FA Center, re-sign Monroe, and then they'll probably draft a RT or roll with Wagner.

There's also always the possibility of finding a cap casualty guy..like in 08 when they brought in Willie Anderson or Mckinnie...a vet on the cheap who can be average at the very least.
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users