91 replies to this topic

#1 radicals

radicals

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

I know there are a few threads on wide receivers, but I wanted to bring free agents to attention. I think there is a possibility we don't use our early round draft picks on a WR. Now, I'm not saying we will not draft weapons for Flacco, but it would not surprise me to see the Ravens find guy that already proven in the NFL 

Jeremy Maclin is a talented, solid wide receiver, but sat out all of 2013 with a knee injury. He put up just under 900 yards in both 2011 and 2012, and is only 25 years old. Maclin is speedy and can also be used as a returner, which would take care of a void if the Ravens let Jacoby Jones walk. Also he is a smart receiver, scoring a 25 on his Wonderlic test, which is higher than average for WRs. If the Ravens sign him, it may only be to a 1 to 3 year deal. It would be a high-risk, high-reward as he will still be recovering when free agency hits. It would be fantastic to see Maclin as a Raven and he would be a great wide receiver next to Torrey Smith.

What receivers do you think the Ravens could pick up? Here is a full list 

http://overthecap.co...on=WR&Year=2014

Edited by radicals, 29 January 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#2 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Don't think I'd be interested in any of them.

Maclin shies away from contact. He's been often injured and seems to me (being from the Philadelphia market) that he nurses injuries when he comes back from them which causes him to either re-injure himself or create a different one.

I know a lot of people are high on Decker but I think he's going to be a bust outside of Denver. I just don't think he can be the man. He plays a good 3rd or 4th fiddle, but he's going to command a pretty penny and I don't think its worth it.

and aside from that idk if theres anyone worth even bringing in.

Maclin will end up back in Philly on a 1-2 year prove it deal. He likes it there and loves his team mates.

If Denver loses the super bowl, decker will take a home town discount to stay in Denver on a 1 or 2 year deal to try and get back. If they win it, he goes to the highest bidder, most likely a bottom dweller in desperate need of a #1 guy, or a quality, complimentary #2.
Google me.

#3 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,383 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Some of those guys have a ton of injury history.  There is one name there that does intrigue me though - Kevin Walter.  He's obviously older and coming off an injury, but he knows Kubiak's system and will probably ask for vet minimum or right around there.  I'd rather draft a young receiver and let the guys we have compete, but if we were to bring in a FA, might as well be a guy with great hands and who has familiarity with what Kubiak wants to do.

#4 juanman7

juanman7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Here's my list of the top 8 FA receivers (I tried to do 10 but there isn't 2 other receivers I'd consider signing and I would rather just get a WR in the draft_:

1. Eric Decker - This would be EXTREMELY unlikely to happen because of the cap and contract it would require to sign him. But he is the best receiver in the FA class. A lot of people don't think so and think he is just a product of the powerful Broncos offense under Peyton Manning, but with Tim Tebow under center, he was able to haul in 8 touchdowns and 612 yards in his second season. Playing with Peyton has taught him a lot and I think his best years are ahead of him regardless of where he plays. He finds the ball and makes plays with it. Also showed great return skills this past season.

2. Hakeem Nicks - If it wasn't for the cap issue, this would be the best possible signing we could make in the offseason. I feel like he still has a lot to prove and he has shown some brilliance in his years as a Giant. Last year would have been better for him but the Giants offense had a lot of the same issues our offense had. He can make contested catches and can make a 5 yard reception into a 30-40 yard one with his ability to get more after the catch. He is awesome.

3. Julian Edelman - I want him solely to take a weapon away from the Patriots but he is also a great slot receiver and much like Hakeem Nicks, he showed the ability to convert 3rd downs and get extra yards after the catch. He had a breakout season and would command a big contract so it would be tough to sign him but he would be a great addition.

4. Riley Cooper - He would be a cheaper option and he isn't a home run like the top 2 guys on this list but he can make a big play at any given time and is only getting better. I don't know how good of a route runner he is but he was able to stand out in a powerful Eagles offense and I saw him on a lot of Curl routes and he was successful with the deep pass which is one of Flacco's strengths so he could fit in.

5. Jeremy Maclin/Kenny Britt - I couldn't decide who to put at number 5 so I picked both of these guys. Maclin was injured and did not play all of 2013, but Britt was benched but I don't think it had to do too much with him not performing. I think it was more of a problem with the coach, Mike Munchak who got fired, and some off the field issues. This might be alarming and it might seem like he's immature but I think a fresh start would work for him. He has expressed interest in joining the Ravens in the past during the trade deadline and he would be a cheaper option who I think could pay off. Maclin has shown the ability to be one of the better number 2 receivers in the league and if he comes back from his injury well, he could also pay off for whatever team he joins.

6. James Jones - He's getting older but could make those necessary catches on 3rd down and just be a converter like Brandon Stokely was supposed to be before getting hurt. Jones is healthy and could be that guy for us.

7. Emmanuel Sanders - Taking a player from the Steelers should always feel good. Sanders is an okay receiver but would fit in really well as a number 3 if Jacoby left. I don't know how much he would command though.

8. Santana Moss - He is getting old but can still play and wouldn't be too expensive. I'd rather not sign him though because of his age, we want younger more athletic receivers. He makes the list just because there really aren't any other FA receivers that I would rather sign that getting a rookie from the draft.

I didn't put Anquan Boldin on here because if I did he would be at number one or two, but it isn't happening and honestly shouldn't happen because it would be like the Ravens admitting they made a mistake and I don't think he would come back. It's better to just move on from him. But if somehow he wanted back in, then I would obviously not mind/love it!

#5 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Here's my list of the top 8 FA receivers (I tried to do 10 but there isn't 2 other receivers I'd consider signing and I would rather just get a WR in the draft_:

1. Eric Decker - This would be EXTREMELY unlikely to happen because of the cap and contract it would require to sign him. But he is the best receiver in the FA class. A lot of people don't think so and think he is just a product of the powerful Broncos offense under Peyton Manning, but with Tim Tebow under center, he was able to haul in 8 touchdowns and 612 yards in his second season. Playing with Peyton has taught him a lot and I think his best years are ahead of him regardless of where he plays. He finds the ball and makes plays with it. Also showed great return skills this past season.

2. Hakeem Nicks - If it wasn't for the cap issue, this would be the best possible signing we could make in the offseason. I feel like he still has a lot to prove and he has shown some brilliance in his years as a Giant. Last year would have been better for him but the Giants offense had a lot of the same issues our offense had. He can make contested catches and can make a 5 yard reception into a 30-40 yard one with his ability to get more after the catch. He is awesome.

3. Julian Edelman - I want him solely to take a weapon away from the Patriots but he is also a great slot receiver and much like Hakeem Nicks, he showed the ability to convert 3rd downs and get extra yards after the catch. He had a breakout season and would command a big contract so it would be tough to sign him but he would be a great addition.

4. Riley Cooper - He would be a cheaper option and he isn't a home run like the top 2 guys on this list but he can make a big play at any given time and is only getting better. I don't know how good of a route runner he is but he was able to stand out in a powerful Eagles offense and I saw him on a lot of Curl routes and he was successful with the deep pass which is one of Flacco's strengths so he could fit in.

5. Jeremy Maclin/Kenny Britt - I couldn't decide who to put at number 5 so I picked both of these guys. Maclin was injured and did not play all of 2013, but Britt was benched but I don't think it had to do too much with him not performing. I think it was more of a problem with the coach, Mike Munchak who got fired, and some off the field issues. This might be alarming and it might seem like he's immature but I think a fresh start would work for him. He has expressed interest in joining the Ravens in the past during the trade deadline and he would be a cheaper option who I think could pay off. Maclin has shown the ability to be one of the better number 2 receivers in the league and if he comes back from his injury well, he could also pay off for whatever team he joins.

6. James Jones - He's getting older but could make those necessary catches on 3rd down and just be a converter like Brandon Stokely was supposed to be before getting hurt. Jones is healthy and could be that guy for us.

7. Emmanuel Sanders - Taking a player from the Steelers should always feel good. Sanders is an okay receiver but would fit in really well as a number 3 if Jacoby left. I don't know how much he would command though.

8. Santana Moss - He is getting old but can still play and wouldn't be too expensive. I'd rather not sign him though because of his age, we want younger more athletic receivers. He makes the list just because there really aren't any other FA receivers that I would rather sign that getting a rookie from the draft.

I didn't put Anquan Boldin on here because if I did he would be at number one or two, but it isn't happening and honestly shouldn't happen because it would be like the Ravens admitting they made a mistake and I don't think he would come back. It's better to just move on from him. But if somehow he wanted back in, then I would obviously not mind/love it!

2014 is pretty much his last year of NFL cuz of his age, and he would go to whoever pay him the most, just like Ed Reed or Mason.  It's all about business.....

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#6 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'd like the idea of Riley Cooper playing in the slot for us for a cheap 1-2 year deal if we don't adress WR in the draft. Which I don't think will happen.

#7 juanman7

juanman7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I'm not so sure about Boldin retiring soon. He had one of his best seasons this past season and I can see him staying in the league for about 3 more seasons.

Edited by juanman7, 29 January 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#8 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

look..edlemen is a product of brady. Brady makes scrubs better. We need great recievers to make flacco better.  Flacco cannot make scrubs better.

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'd like the idea of Riley Cooper playing in the slot for us for a cheap 1-2 year deal if we don't adress WR in the draft. Which I don't think will happen.

I would rather Marlon Brown continue to develop in the slot. How much of Riley Cooper had to do with Chip Kelly's offense and the unknown surrounding it and how much is skill?

#10 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

look..edlemen is a product of brady. Brady makes scrubs better. We need great recievers to make flacco better.  Flacco cannot make scrubs better.

I know there's no reasoning with you, but Edelman and Brady are a product of the EP system, and the Ravens aren't looking to run that, and I doubt Edelman would be good without it.

#11 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

I dont want any free agents. I am fine with a draft pick and resigning Doss. A new system will help everyone. Doss will be cheap and can be a kick returner. Depending on how the draft falls we may be able to come away with a good wr and lineman or te in in the first 2 rounds. Or some scenario... lineman te etc.

Edited by ravensfan520, 29 January 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#12 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I would rather Marlon Brown continue to develop in the slot. How much of Riley Cooper had to do with Chip Kelly's offense and the unknown surrounding it and how much is skill?

True true. All I'm saying is I think he would be the best value for us. (Money and skillset wise). Don't think it happens though.

Edited by Gordo52, 29 January 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#13 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Edelman and Decker are my top two picks, if we decide to go to FA for WR. 

#14 edthehead

edthehead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

we are better off without them,, marlon brown steps up after a good freshman year, mallette will play like he has something to prove and then there is jordan matthew (predicting)  who have seen what brown has done and he will aslo want to get that rookie WR record  ,,,,, save that money and get a CENTER

#15 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,383 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Clearly you've never heard of Mark Clayton or Kelley Washington.

#16 radicals

radicals

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

It would be interesting to see Hakeem Nicks as a Raven, most of my family are Giants fan and would like that too. I want to just assume 2013 was a down year for him. Was he struggling with an injury the entire year? Either way, it would be nice to sign him to an affordable contract

#17 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,206 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I'm not really enamored with the FA class.  The ones I like either cost too much or would be short term fixes.  We're better off solving the WR issue in the draft with a very deep draft class where a WR is bound to be BPA early.

#18 Robbo15

Robbo15

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

In a deep wr draft naw we can pass

#19 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Clearly you've never heard of Mark Clayton or Kelley Washington.

No because they're scrubs...

#20 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

James Jones and Kenny Britt are the 2 guys I like.Jones is a great route runner and fights for balls like Boldin.I think he would complement Brown and Smith well and fits the "makes tough 3rd down catches and gets yac" description Ozzie gave.He's also fast enough to be a deep threat unlike Boldin was for us.As for Kenny Britt,he has everything needed to be a #1 wr.Hate on him all you want for the trouble he got into when he first came into the league,but I 100 percent guarantee he'll outperform any contract he signs as long as there's a good qb there.I'm willing to bet money on it.He's gonna be cheap and could be the Andre Johnson that Kubiac had in Houston.If you plugged him into this offense Flacco would fall in love with throwing to a big bodied guy like him who actually plays big.He would be a 1,000 yard receiver here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users