63 replies to this topic

#1 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

I saw Jameson Hensley write an article in which he mentioned the Ravens either were going to or should consider extending Ngata to reduce his cap hit. What are the chances this happens? He still has two years(?) left, so it'd be a risk to extend him for much longer, given his age and injury concerns.
How likely is it that he is extended? The only other cap friendly option would be to cut him post June 1st, but I highly doubt that happens, so am extension seems to be the only smart option.

#2 BBRavens

BBRavens

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

It depends on what they want to do this off-season, and if they can execute those plans with Ngata at his current number. At this stage, unless absolutely necessary I feel as though extending him is the wrong move. His play dropped significantly this season, and that alone is cause for concern. I personally wouldn't do it unless we had to.

#3 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Extending him would only extend his signing bonus numbers which would make it very difficult to cut him. His injury history is a concern.

#4 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

It depends on what they want to do this off-season, and if they can execute those plans with Ngata at his current number. At this stage, unless absolutely necessary I feel as though extending him is the wrong move. His play dropped significantly this season, and that alone is cause for concern. I personally wouldn't do it unless we had to.

Extending him would only extend his signing bonus numbers which would make it very difficult to cut him. His injury history is a concern.

The injury history is the only thing that would concern me about extending him. When healthy, he's dominant, but how often is he truly healthy? Not too often.

#5 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,314 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

Giving Ngata an extension would spread out his bonus, thus reducing his cap number each year... he and/or Suggs are candidates for such a move. I think it'll happen.

2550rra.jpg

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Pretty much 0.  We're stuck with him at his current number for this year, and you'll likely see him cut next year.  He's talked about retirement quite often in the past couple of years.  Despite him being pretty young in NFL terms, his heart doesn't seem to be in it.  I don't think we can take that risk, even if the retirement talk is all smoke and mirrors.

#7 TheRavenNest

TheRavenNest

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I think it is safe to say that evryone on the team last year had lost there heart to play the game. I am not trying to beat a dead horse but since Ray Lewis and Reed left the locker room just isn't the same.... maybe they will come around with this new coaching blood and play like the Ravens of ole'....

#8 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Pretty much 0.  We're stuck with him at his current number for this year, and you'll likely see him cut next year.  He's talked about retirement quite often in the past couple of years.  Despite him being pretty young in NFL terms, his heart doesn't seem to be in it.  I don't think we can take that risk, even if the retirement talk is all smoke and mirrors.

Yea i agree.  I don't think his heart is in it anymore.   Seems to me he wants to just get the paycheck and move on.

#9 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,776 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

I thought cutting him was out of the question? Pretty sure it would leave us with $15 M in dead money. If anything, him and Suggs get extended. Though, if it wasn't for the dead money Ngata carries, cutting him in favor to re-sign Art Jones would be the best move Ozzie could do.

#10 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

it honestly happened as soon as he got his big contract. Its sad as I feel we never really saw the best of ngata. Yes even though in 2009-2010 he played epic I feel he could have been even better.

he basicaly is the cost of 2 pro bowl calibre players in his position.

#11 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

I think we should cut suggs and re-sign art. Suggs is a declining player with so many miles and recent injuries. It happens to them all. We need cap. Cutting suggs could help us land some good free agents.I didnt watch much college football in recent years but I hope KLM is ready as Im not sold on brandon williams.

Edited by Sami84, 29 January 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#12 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

I thought cutting him was out of the question? Pretty sure it would leave us with $15 M in dead money. If anything, him and Suggs get extended. Though, if it wasn't for the dead money Ngata carries, cutting him in favor to re-sign Art Jones would be the best move Ozzie could do.

Post June first saves $8 million, and considering not many big name free agents are available, it'd likely be rolled over to open up money for Jimmy and Torrey Smith

#13 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think it is safe to say that evryone on the team last year had lost there heart to play the game. I am not trying to beat a dead horse but since Ray Lewis and Reed left the locker room just isn't the same.... maybe they will come around with this new coaching blood and play like the Ravens of ole'....

Loss of some key players? Super Bowl Hangover? Injuries? Those things can do it.

#14 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

I am fairly sure that either Ngata or Suggs will be asked to extend their contract and lessen the cap hit this year. If we let Suggs go we will need to keep Art Jones. But the timing is going to be part of the problem as Art is a UFA and will be available before we see what kind of shape Suggs and Ngata are in for this next year and what kind of money deals can be worked out with them. The one thing I do not foresee is us letting Suggs, Ngata and Art Jones all go. 

Edited by ravens533, 29 January 2014 - 04:49 PM.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#15 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Can't see it. Hes an injury and retirement risk. You dont push of dollars on that kind of player

#16 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

I wouldn't extend him. He hasn't lived up to his contract at all, he's played at a level deserving half that much at best. Just suffer through next year and possibly the year after.

#17 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

I am fairly sure that either Ngata or Suggs will be asked to extend their contract and lessen the cap hit this year. If we let Suggs go we will need to keep Art Jones. But the timing is going to be part of the problem as Art is a UFA and will be available before we see what kind of shape Suggs and Ngata are in for this next year and what kind of money deals can be worked out with them. The one thing I do not foresee is us letting Suggs, Ngata and Art Jones all go.

I don't know why we would need to resign Art if Suggs is cut. They play different positions and on opposite sides of the formation, most of the time. No correlation between the two.

#18 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Eh, don't think he's worth extending given that he's hinted at early retirement and injuries have piled up the last few years. We'll be looking for his replacement, along with Jones and Canty pretty soon. 

Suggs is who I think we'll ultimately cut. Oz cut Boldin after the delivering the playoff performance of a lifetime. Suggs has a higher cap hit than Boldin had and he was a non-factor the last half of the season. Don't think he will be kept. We've seen what moves Ozzie made after he cut Boldin. He could probably do the same after cutting Suggs. 

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.."-- EAP

CJ_Mosley.jpg

#19 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I want to do whatever it takes to keep Suggs and resign Arthur Jones.

#20 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Eh, don't think he's worth extending given that he's hinted at early retirement and injuries have piled up the last few years. We'll be looking for his replacement, along with Jones and Canty pretty soon.

Suggs is who I think we'll ultimately cut. Oz cut Boldin after the delivering the playoff performance of a lifetime. Suggs has a higher cap hit than Boldin had and he was a non-factor the last half of the season. Don't think he will be kept. We've seen what moves Ozzie made after he cut Boldin. He could probably do the same after cutting Suggs.

Does anybody think that after last year Newsome may may be saying those things to scare Suggs but knows that he made a mistake with Boldin and doesn't want to do it again. Lets be honest even a healthy Pitta all year would not have got us to the playoffs. We spent our money on players that didnt finish the year with us and Boldin had a great year. You cant count Doom because we got lucky with him and he was an after thought after we cut Boldin and got Spears and Huff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users