102 replies to this topic

#1 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

CBSSports.com's Doug Gottlieb not only thinks Flacco won't succeed with the bootleg, but he thinks the offense will be worse next season under Kubiak. "You need a really athletic quarterback because you're running a lot of bootlegs, and that's not really Joe Flacco," Gottlieb said in this video. "It's not that Joe Flacco isn't a good athlete, he's actually a really good athlete, but he's not somebody you want to roll out, plant his feet and throw the ball. He's a down-field thrower. "This to me strikes me as a guy who is a really good offensive coordinator with a really good quarterback with a really bad fit for each other. I don't see them getting better. I see them fighting over the play calling and the set up and the depth of the drops."

what is everyone thought about the comment.

#2 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

My thought is that the comment bears no resemblance to reality in any way.

Posted Image

#3 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Flacco is a better athlete than Schaub, in near every way.

Schaub worked the bootleg fine.  Schaub was at his worst when in the pocket for long stretches.

#4 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,327 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

CBSSports.com's Doug Gottlieb not only thinks Flacco won't succeed with the bootleg, but he thinks the offense will be worse next season under Kubiak. "You need a really athletic quarterback because you're running a lot of bootlegs, and that's not really Joe Flacco," Gottlieb said in this video. "It's not that Joe Flacco isn't a good athlete, he's actually a really good athlete, but he's not somebody you want to roll out, plant his feet and throw the ball. He's a down-field thrower. "This to me strikes me as a guy who is a really good offensive coordinator with a really good quarterback with a really bad fit for each other. I don't see them getting better. I see them fighting over the play calling and the set up and the depth of the drops."

what is everyone thought about the comment.

What are YOUR thoughts on the comment?

I think Gottlieb is clueless and should stick to college basketball.

2550rra.jpg

#5 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Flacco is much more athletic then Schaub. Also if you take the time to actually watch Flacco he's a much better QB when he's allowed to move around, plus he throws really well on the run, so I don't see how rolling out, "planting" his feet and throwing would be a problem.

I didn't read the article but it strikes me as a guy who doesn't watch much of Flacco, he's just operating on the thoughs that Joe is a stationary guy who wants to just chuck the ball down field.

mj5v69.jpg

#6 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,486 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

It appears that Mr. Gottlieb is unaware that Flacco is a good athlete AND that Kubiak would adjust the scheme if need be. 

Kubiak is great for Joe, simple as that. 

#7 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

I Hope both of them find a way to get the offense better. "I don't like this, I don't like that". Thats BS. You do whatever to score points.

Edited by Ravensfan23, 28 January 2014 - 12:42 PM.
no need to open that can of worms

#8 yogismo

yogismo

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Flacco and Kubiak... Kubiak and Flacco...

tumblr_m1iz9zJqvO1qb1hsso1_400.gif

haha sorry but it's the first thing that came to mind.

I don't think this article's assesment is too accurate.  Joe is as mobile (or moreso) than any of the other QBs Kubiak has had success with.  This guy is just going against the grain the get page hits.

#9 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Guys let's keep this about how Flacco and Kubiak will work together in this system. It's not about Flacco's.....

Contract
Super Bowl win,
Pervious stats
Ranking compared to other QBs
Wins
Leadership
Personality

Let's stay on topic or this will be yet another Flacco thread shut down and that's getting old. No personal attacks, no hater vs support battles. Stay on topic and do not hijack this thread.

mj5v69.jpg

#10 chaos_md

chaos_md

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

If anything I thought Joe excelled while on the move last year.

#11 MARYLANDMIKE21224

MARYLANDMIKE21224

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

I just hope he can teach joe how to read defenses !!! (maybe cut down on the romo's too)

#12 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,486 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

I love how Kubiak attacks all three levels of the defense, and I love love love his use of crossing routes. I think we might see him call the offense similar to the Texans offense, but with maybe a bit more deep stuff, since we have Joe. I definitely don't want it turning into Cam 2.0, and I know it won't, but while Schaub is limited in the deep passing game, Flacco is strong in it. So, we'll see a bit more of it, but not too much more. We'll definitely build it up more with a lot of slants and crosses

#13 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I wouldn't say Flacco is a better athlete than Schaub. Nothing really to compare them too but I will say if the Kubiak can establish a run game for the Ravens it will make Flacco better for the 2014 season. Kubiak is pretty good at making a team a run team to say.

#14 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Haters are gonna hate.
welcome to life as a Ravens fan.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

#15 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

At least, we won't get stuffed at 1yd line......

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#16 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

I love how Kubiak attacks all three levels of the defense, and I love love love his use of crossing routes. I think we might see him call the offense similar to the Texans offense, but with maybe a bit more deep stuff, since we have Joe. I definitely don't want it turning into Cam 2.0, and I know it won't, but while Schaub is limited in the deep passing game, Flacco is strong in it. So, we'll see a bit more of it, but not too much more. We'll definitely build it up more with a lot of slants and crosses

Couldn't agree more. Being able to attack all 3 levels will open things up so much. We've never really attacked all 3 levels together. We either focused on the low percenatge deep ball(11"-13") or the mid range game(10") or the short game/dumpoff("08-"09). We've never had a offense that attacked all levels, despite having a QB more then capable.

I can't wait to see that first PA stretch, throw back across the field to Pitta play.

mj5v69.jpg

#17 Gorillaz MD

Gorillaz MD

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

I always though Joe looked pretty good at running the bootleg stuff, rolling out to the right, etc. 2011-12 AFC Championship game comes to mind.

#18 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

He can run it and run it well. I would like for Joe to work on his play fake more though.  Maybe it's the view when watching, but it doesn't seem like he sells it well.  It's small things like that can help get a receiver some separation for a big play.  Will also make the throw easier on him if the defense actually bites.  Excited to see how the o line plays next year.  One thing I noticed about the Texans o line before this year was they really seemed to move as a single unit.  Don't see that often where the whole line seems in sync. 

I also think the bootleg has a lot to do with how the o line moves.  If they do their job, you don't need to be the most athletic because the defensive front will be following them.

Edited by redrum52, 28 January 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#19 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

Well considering Shaub NEVER ran around at all when running Houston's offense whereas Joe takes off quite often when he has to, I don't see how moving outside the pocket for a bootleg is going to be an issue.  Joe does have issues setting his feet when throwing, but quite often when I've seen that it's when he's under duress and flushed from the pocket.  If it's a designed bootleg, Joe should have no problem with it.

#20 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

I wouldn't say Flacco is a better athlete than Schaub. Nothing really to compare them too but I will say if the Kubiak can establish a run game for the Ravens it will make Flacco better for the 2014 season. Kubiak is pretty good at making a team a run team to say.

You might not say Joe's a better athlete than Schaub but he clearly is. Beyond simply watching them play, the stats bear that out. Flacco has run for a higher clip than Schaub during his career, picked up more first downs and had bigger gains. 

As others have said, I'm looking forward to watching Joe work with Kubiak. 

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users