3 Hiring the Right OC  

4 Identifying a Our Starting Center  

5 Identifying a Our Starting Right Tackle  

6 Adding a New Offensive Weapon  

7 Dealing with Suggs and his 2014 Cap Hit

8 Managing Potential ILB Changes  

9 Finding FS to Allow Elam to Slide to SS

10 Retaining or Filling the Void Left by Art Jones

What else is there more important than these? 

What items do you feel are out of order? 

I've just stated what decisions need to be made ... discuss what you think those decisions should be. 

Edited by balfan23, 25 January 2014 - 03:00 PM.

25p4y07.jpg

#2 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Since FA haven't started yet, I would put OC search @ 1.

I would add retaining Daryl Smith.

Edited by bMore Heathen, 25 January 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#3 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Since FA haven't started yet, I would put OC search @ 1.

I would add retaining Daryl Smith.

Yeah, I considered Daryl Smith as a part of #8 Managing potential ILB changes.

I agree on the way to start to manage it is having to retain Smith. I am afraid it is going to need to be a relatively short and low-cost contract for it to work for us. Brown is ultimately who we want to take over there, but from a leadership standpoint and understanding how to call out opposing offenses, he's not ready yet and needs to learn from Smith for the next year or two before he's able to fill that role. 

What do you think of McClain? If we retain Smith, is McClain a cap casualty? 

25p4y07.jpg

#4 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, I considered Daryl Smith as a part of #8 Managing potential ILB changes.

I agree on the way to start to manage it is having to retain Smith. I am afraid it is going to need to be a relatively short and low-cost contract for it to work for us. Brown is ultimately who we want to take over there, but from a leadership standpoint and understanding how to call out opposing offenses, he's not ready yet and needs to learn from Smith for the next year or two before he's able to fill that role.

What do you think of McClain? If we retain Smith, is McClain a cap casualty?

Absolutely. There is no reason to pay McClain if we keep Smith. Actually, I would say the money we save by cutting McClain would go to Smith directly!!!

#5 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

1. Offensive Coordinator.

2. Hire QB Coach

3. Eugene Monroe

4. Cut/Restructure Suggs, Leach, McLain

5. Art Jones

6. Dennis Pitta

7. Scout some WR, TE, OL

8. Don't sign any free agents

9. Sign cut players

10. Rock the draft and get some STARTERS! We can't have a lack of starters come out like we did this year. Elam was the only one and that was because Huff was THAT bad.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#6 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

8. Don't sign any free agents

10. Rock the draft and get some STARTERS! We can't have a lack of starters come out like we did this year. Elam was the only one and that was because Huff was THAT bad.

I'm focusing on your #8 and #10. I don't think I agree with #8, simply because we have a need for more starers than it is reasonable to expect from #10. We have a better shot at getting a couple starters from the draft due to our elevated pick this year, but while it would be great to think we'll get a starter in round 3 or higher, I don't think we should bet our season on it.

I do believe we shouldn't be very active on the FA, there is one position I firmly believe we need to address via FA, and that is the position of center. I put addressing our starting center as my #4 and honestly, it perhaps should be higher. Even if we draft the best center available this year, I just don't think that player will be capable of coming in and being the lynchpin of the offensive line as a stater in game 1.

We simply cannot have even remotely close to the performance at that position as we had last year and we can't risk another trial run of a rookie or 2nd year player with zero starting experience. We need a proven vet - either one that is young enough to take us into the future or one that is older that we can rely on for a couple years, with a real plan to replace him with someone who has the chance to be a viable starter in the NFL in a year or two. 

25p4y07.jpg

#7 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

1. OC

2. Fix the O line

3. Pitta

4. Daryl Smith

5. Monroe

6. Fix the O line

7. Draft well (T/G, TE, WR)

8. Extend Suggs or cut

9. Find a way to keep Jacoby

10. Fix the O line!

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#8 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

1. OC

2. Fix the O line

3. Pitta

4. Daryl Smith

5. Monroe

6. Fix the O line

8. Extend Suggs or cut

10. Fix the O line!

I like 2, 5, 6 and 10 ... 3 of my top 5 were about the O line. I put Monroe #1 because I think the only way we can fix the O line is to nail down the LT position. If we have to go get a new LT on top of everything else, that will just be too much to address with new parts for 2014.

However, "Fix the O line" is pretty general. What is your thought on how we are going to (or how we should) address the Center position?

Edited by balfan23, 25 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

25p4y07.jpg

#9 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

1 sign monroe

2 sign monroe

3 sign monroe

4 give whoever becomes the OC the freedom to implement creative plays

5 get daryl smith back

6 extend suggs

7 make a reasonable offer to pitta but for god sake not top 10 money, he isent a 3 down complete TE.

8 find out what the market is for corey graham and jacoby jones but dont over pay.

9 round 1 and 2 should be BPA WR,FS or TE.

10 next rounds BPA o-line and whatever holes are left.

11 dont care what anyones says if oher is cheap keep him. emphasis on cheap.

12 if juan castillo is as good as advertised he should be able to work on gino and oher and such so dont waste a pick on an o-liner in first 2 rounds.

13 hire zorn back

Edited by Tru11, 25 January 2014 - 07:34 PM.

dq0w81.gif

#10 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

1. OC

2. Fix the O line

3. Pitta

4. Daryl Smith

5. Monroe

6. Fix the O line

8. Extend Suggs or cut

10. Fix the O line!

I agree with the first part.  Let's get our OC and figure out what kind of o-line needs to be built after we get an idea of what direction they want to take the offense first.  Pitta, then I'd say Monroe.  Even though I said get the OC first, we've already given up too much for Monroe not to keep him.  Agree with 6.  I don't know if 7 is the order you want, but I agree.  The o-line needs to be able to do it's job for the rest of the offense to function.  Thought it was funny you didn't mention C, but I'd definitely look for a C before a guard or RT.  I'd put my faith in KO to come back healthy and work around LG.  Will be interesting to what happens with Suggs, though I hope we extend his contract and I agree with the last two.

#11 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

1) Hire OC

2) Fill vacant coaching slots (running backs, defensive backs, quarterback, possibly wide receivers)

3) Sign fa center (Goodwin stop gap center/ long term Ohrmberger ), Monroe, Pitta, Graham , Smith .

4)figure out what to do with Suggs ) he's a raven hoping we extend him

5)Draft day  do not trade the number 16 or 17 pick whichever we get  go after a wideout who can start day one .. no developmental pass catchers  .

6) we need a fs, te, and oline depth. Draft bpa.

7) maybe unrealistic but try to resign Jacoby Jones .

#12 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

I like 2, 5, 6 and 10 ... 3 of my top 5 were about the O line. I put Monroe #1 because I think the only way we can fix the O line is to nail down the LT position. If we have to go get a new LT on top of everything else, that will just be too much to address with new parts for 2014.

However, "Fix the O line" is pretty general. What is your thought on how we are going to (or how we should) address the Center position?

Not sure, but it's obviously key to any fix. I think they probably will keep an open book on possibilities, draft and FA.

#13 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

I agree with the first part.  Let's get our OC and figure out what kind of o-line needs to be built after we get an idea of what direction they want to take the offense first.  Pitta, then I'd say Monroe.  Even though I said get the OC first, we've already given up too much for Monroe not to keep him.  Agree with 6.  I don't know if 7 is the order you want, but I agree.  The o-line needs to be able to do it's job for the rest of the offense to function.  Thought it was funny you didn't mention C, but I'd definitely look for a C before a guard or RT.  I'd put my faith in KO to come back healthy and work around LG.  Will be interesting to what happens with Suggs, though I hope we extend his contract and I agree with the last two.

Yeah, C wasn't a purposeful omission, but I'm not sure we draft there before any of the other positions.

#14 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

1. OC

2. Fix the O line

3. Pitta

4. Daryl Smith

5. Monroe

6. Fix the O line

8. Extend Suggs or cut

10. Fix the O line!

10a.    Put RR in the Wayback Machine.     :P

#15 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, C wasn't a purposeful omission, but I'm not sure we draft there before any of the other positions.

It is just my opinion that there is no center available in the draft that can come in here and effectively start for us game 1. That's why I'm of the mind that we need to fill that need in FA. I'd love to see us nail Evan Dietrich-Smith (GB) or Brian De La Puente (NO), but I'm not sure we're going to be able to afford either of them (and De La Puente may be the only one of them to actually hit the market) and I don't know if the organization is throwing in the towel on Gino.

If we can't afford him, or if we just still hold hope for Gino, then perhaps Dominic Raiola or Roberto Garza, but someone who knows what an NFL defense looks like and doesn't get manhandled is critical if we expect to improve this year. 

I feel like it is possible to draft someone to play LG (and possibly move KO back to RT) or a RT and have that player compete with Wagner for the RT opening that seem inevitable, given that Oher is not likely to return. But not center. 

I think how we work this situation is far more critical than what shiny new weapon we propose to add to the offense. 

Edited by balfan23, 25 January 2014 - 08:23 PM.

25p4y07.jpg

#16 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

1 sign monroe

2 sign monroe

3 sign monroe

4 give whoever becomes the OC the freedom to implement creative plays

5 get daryl smith back

6 extend suggs

7 make a reasonable offer to pitta but for god sake not top 10 money, he isent a 3 down complete TE.

8 find out what the market is for corey graham and jacoby jones but dont over pay.

9 round 1 and 2 should be BPA WR,FS or TE.

10 next rounds BPA o-line and whatever holes are left.

11 dont care what anyones says if oher is cheap keep him. emphasis on cheap.

12 if juan castillo is as good as advertised he should be able to work on gino and oher and such so dont waste a pick on an o-liner in first 2 rounds.

13 hire zorn back

Great post ... and I totally agree on your first 3 (as it was my #1 as well). For your #12, the "if" that leads that statement should be capitalized. See my previous post to see what I think we need to do to deal with the center position. Gino perhaps needs another chance, but we can't afford to watch him learn on the job with such tragic results. That would dictate we go with a short contract on a 30 something vet with experience and strength that is superior to what we saw out of Gino in 2013. 

25p4y07.jpg

#17 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

1) Hire OC

2) Fill vacant coaching slots (running backs, defensive backs, quarterback, possibly wide receivers)

3) Sign fa center (Goodwin stop gap center/ long term Ohrmberger ), Monroe, Pitta, Graham , Smith .

4)figure out what to do with Suggs ) he's a raven hoping we extend him

5)Draft day  do not trade the number 16 or 17 pick whichever we get  go after a wideout who can start day one .. no developmental pass catchers  .

6) we need a fs, te, and oline depth. Draft bpa.

7) maybe unrealistic but try to resign Jacoby Jones .

If you've seen any of my previous posts - I agree 100% with #3. Having Gino compete with Shipley and Jensen for the center spot will be dangerous. Like your mention of Goodwin as a stop gap. I threw out the names Raiola and Garza, but Goodwin would fit the bill as well. 

25p4y07.jpg

#18 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

I think how we work this situation is far more critical than what shiny new weapon we propose to add to the offense. 

If we fix the O line we'll find some shiny new weapons already on the squad.

#19 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Great post ... and I totally agree on your first 3 (as it was my #1 as well). For your #12, the "if" that leads that statement should be capitalized. See my previous post to see what I think we need to do to deal with the center position. Gino perhaps needs another chance, but we can't afford to watch him learn on the job with such tragic results. That would dictate we go with a short contract on a 30 something vet with experience and strength that is superior to what we saw out of Gino in 2013. 

we got gino who is in his 3rd year in the nfl and has 1 year starting experience in the new scheme.

we also has jensen who has been with the team for a full year as well and we have shipley.

now i dont expect much from shipley but both gino and jensen are young and castillo should be able to improve them.

its a waste of money to spend try get a stop gap veteran in FA.

i rather not give up on either.

i know alot of people dont want to hear it but a QB who can read defenses can really help out a young center to make sure the protection is set.

now flacco should be able to do this to a certain degree but hiring zorn or another QB coach should help him out.

dq0w81.gif

#20 Donte19

Donte19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

i know alot of people dont want to hear it but a QB who can read defenses can really help out a young center to make sure the protection is set.

now flacco should be able to do this to a certain degree but hiring zorn or another QB coach should help him out.

I agree, Flacco should be at the point where he should be able to help with the protection, Peyton always comes to mind and every time I am always thinking "why doesn't Flacco do that as much"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users