#61 ravensnick

ravensnick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Yes he is.

Irrelevant to us though, because I am 99.9% certain we are going to trade back and draft Matthews

I would love this. Matthews, Landry, or Robinson would be are ideal wr, for us at least. I think Watkins is obviously going to be the best wr in the nfl of all these guys, but matthews, robinson, beckham, and landry wouldn't be far behind. Evans/Benjamin are MAJOR boom/bust, we need a devolped wr that can start day #1, not a high risk project. its just such a great wr draft

#62 RavensIQ13

RavensIQ13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

every players has there down moments in games but can you tell me what cornerback did Mike Evans faced last season whom  was pretty good?

I don't know against which particular CBs per se, but I can drop some stats against some of the top ranked defenses in College football this year:

-Mike Evans had 7 catches for 279 yards and a touchdown against Alabama who finished 5th in defense and 10th (out of 125) in passing defense...to put that in context their defense only gave up 180 passing yards per game.

-Mike Evans  had 6 catches for 84 yards and 2 touchdowns against Rice who finished 18th (out of 125) in passing defense

-Mike Evans had 5 catches for 116 yards against Mississippi State who finished 21st (out of 125) in passing defense

-Mike Evans had 5 catches for 77 yards and 2 touchdowns against Vanderbilt who finished 22nd (out of 125) in passing defense.

-Mike Evans had 11 catches for 287 yards and 4 touchdowns against Auburn who played in the National Championship this year.

Mike Evans is no slouch. Come draft time all the haters and doubters will learn more and more about this guy and will finally start to understand what all the hype is about. If he runs anything in the 4.4 range he'll be drafted before Watkins.

#63 Robbo15

Robbo15

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

I will second and Co sign this statement

yeah I came over also

#64 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,976 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

I don't know against which particular CBs per se, but I can drop some stats against some of the top ranked defenses in College football this year:

-Mike Evans had 7 catches for 279 yards and a touchdown against Alabama who finished 5th in defense and 10th (out of 125) in passing defense...to put that in context their defense only gave up 180 passing yards per game.

-Mike Evans  had 6 catches for 84 yards and 2 touchdowns against Rice who finished 18th (out of 125) in passing defense

-Mike Evans had 5 catches for 116 yards against Mississippi State who finished 21st (out of 125) in passing defense

-Mike Evans had 5 catches for 77 yards and 2 touchdowns against Vanderbilt who finished 22nd (out of 125) in passing defense.

-Mike Evans had 11 catches for 287 yards and 4 touchdowns against Auburn who played in the National Championship this year.

Mike Evans is no slouch. Come draft time all the haters and doubters will learn more and more about this guy and will finally start to understand what all the hype is about. If he runs anything in the 4.4 range he'll be drafted before Watkins.

Numbers don't tell the whole story.  Evans is a guy that has benefited greatly from Manziel's crazy ability to extend plays.  I'm not denying that Evans has talent, but put him against press and put some pressure on the QB, and he can be shut out of the game.  You've been preaching in other threads that we need guys that can separate.  That guy is not Evans.  He's slow.  He won't come close to a 4.4, and he won't come close to supplanting Watkins as the top WR.  Evans needs work, and a lot of it.  He uses his body well, but that's about it.  He can't beat press coverage.  He can't separate.  He can't run many routes.  He's a guy I'd love to have in any other year, but in this year when we need immediate contributors, we shouldn't take Evans.  He's too much of a work in progress.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#65 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,351 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

If Mike Evans played for Wyoming, who essentially has the same QB as A&M except taller, then we wouldn't be talking about him.

#66 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

If Mike Evans played for Wyoming, who essentially has the same QB as A&M except taller, then we wouldn't be talking about him.

Hey I bought up a Wyoming receiver in one message in another thread so you never know

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

#67 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,351 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hey I bought up a Wyoming receiver in one message in another thread so you never know

The fast kid that drops everything?  Didn't hear his name once before the Senior Bowl, and I've actually seen Wyoming play a bit.  Mike Evans, much like Manziel, is more of a product of flash than talent.  The media came up with this narrative that they're the greatest duo to ever grace college football, and everyone else has run with it.

6ooenb.jpg

#68 Valid1

Valid1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

At least everyone doesn't predict us taking the Manziel part of the equation. At least Evans has a chance. 

#69 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

The fast kid that drops everything?  Didn't hear his name once before the Senior Bowl, and I've actually seen Wyoming play a bit.  Mike Evans, much like Manziel, is more of a product of flash than talent.  The media came up with this narrative that they're the greatest duo to ever grace college football, and everyone else has run with it.

Yeah I saw him in the senior bowl practice make a great move to get open and then looked into him and saw the drops. 

In Ozzie we Trust

Dallas Cowboys GM

#70 RavensIQ13

RavensIQ13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Evans is a guy that has benefited greatly from Manziel's crazy ability to extend plays.  I'm not denying that Evans has talent, but put him against press and put some pressure on the QB, and he can be shut out of the game.  You've been preaching in other threads that we need guys that can separate.  That guy is not Evans.  He's slow.  He won't come close to a 4.4, and he won't come close to supplanting Watkins as the top WR.  Evans needs work, and a lot of it.  He uses his body well, but that's about it.  He can't beat press coverage.  He can't separate.  He can't run many routes.  He's a guy I'd love to have in any other year, but in this year when we need immediate contributors, we shouldn't take Evans.  He's too much of a work in progress.

What are you talking about? Go watch his games from this season.

Johnny Manziel had the numbers he had this year because of Mike Evans.

Mike Evans accounted for 1/3 of Manziel's passing yards.

Johhny Manziel often just threw the ball up for grabs (double coverage, triple coverage, sometimes 4 men around the ball) and Mike Evans would go up and make the contested catch. He bailed Manziel out sooo many times over the course of the last two years. Mike Evans was Johnny footballs security blanket, not the other way around. 

About that other stuff...He's slow? He cant beat press? He cant separate? He cant get open?

I want you to watch this entire video of Mike Evans (6 games in 2012) when he was a freshmen and tell me what happens when he gets pressed? What happens when he gets single man coverage? Does he get open in any of the routes he runs? Does he appear slow when he's running into the endzone? Pretty much everything you just claimed he couldn't do, I want you tell me if you were right after watching that video.

Deal?

#71 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

What are you talking about? Go watch his games from this season.

Johnny Manziel had the numbers he had this year because of Mike Evans.

Mike Evans accounted for 1/3 of Manziel's passing yards.

Johhny Manziel often just threw the ball up for grabs (double coverage, triple coverage, sometimes 4 men around the ball) and Mike Evans would go up and make the contested catch. He bailed Manziel out sooo many times over the course of the last two years. Mike Evans was Johnny footballs security blanket, not the other way around. 

About that other stuff...He's slow? He cant beat press? He cant separate? He cant get open?

I want you to watch this entire video of Mike Evans (6 games in 2012) when he was a freshmen and tell me what happens when he gets pressed? What happens when he gets single man coverage? Does he get open in any of the routes he runs? Does he appear slow when he's running into the endzone? Pretty much everything you just claimed he couldn't do, I want you tell me if you were right after watching that video.

Deal?

If you read what I wrote, I clearly said that Mike Evans is talented.  Evans certainly helped out Manziel, but it went the other way too.  Manziel extended plays long enough until coverage broke down, and Evans benefitted greatly from that.  I'm not saying that every single yard Evans had was a result of Manziel, but the numbers are inflated.

To your second point, I'm not even going to watch that video.  The first reason is because I've already watched extensive video on Evans, both good and bad.  The second reason is because you're going to reference his freshman year.  He's picked up weight along the way.  Go watch Evans tape vs. Mizzou, Duke, among others.  It's clear as day that if you press him at the line, he doesn't have the speed or elusiveness to avoid being shut out of the game.  He's talented when he finds the time to get down field.  If you jam him at the line, he's done.  He doesn't use his size or strength well getting off of the line.  Going up for the catch?  He absolutely knows how to use his body.  On the line?  Nope.

Regarding his speed, Evans is a classic build up speed guy.  He starts slow and picks up in space.  The hard part is getting him to open space in the first place.  Watch his 10 yard splits at the combine when/if he runs.  That's what you should be paying attention to.  The overall time is important, but please take note of how slow he starts and how long it takes him to build to full speed.  That's not going to work in the NFL.

Edited by rmw10, 26 January 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#72 RavensIQ13

RavensIQ13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

If you read what I wrote, I clearly said that Mike Evans is talented.  Evans certainly helped out Manziel, but it went the other way too.  Manziel extended plays long enough until coverage broke down, and Evans benefitted greatly from that.  I'm not saying that every single yard Evans had was a result of Manziel, but the numbers are inflated.

To your second point, I'm not even going to watch that video.  The first reason is because I've already watched extensive video on Evans, both good and bad.  The second reason is because you're going to reference his freshman year.  He's picked up weight along the way.  Go watch Evans tape vs. Mizzou, Duke, among others.  It's clear as day that if you press him at the line, he doesn't have the speed or elusiveness to avoid being shut out of the game.  He's talented when he finds the time to get down field.  If you jam him at the line, he's done.  He doesn't use his size or strength well getting off of the line.  Going up for the catch?  He absolutely knows how to use his body.  On the line?  Nope.

Regarding his speed, Evans is a classic build up speed guy.  He starts slow and picks up in space.  The hard part is getting him to open space in the first place.  Watch his 10 yard splits at the combine when/if he runs.  That's what you should be paying attention to.  The overall time is important, but please take note of how slow he starts and how long it takes him to build to full speed.  That's not going to work in the NFL.

Thank God we have real talent evaluators running the draft.

#73 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Good to see you were able to come up with a counterargument.  

#74 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

I know right. Your idiotic obsession with Mike Evans and inability to accept his weaknesses is ridiculous.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#75 bmorepizzy

bmorepizzy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Honestly I'm not sure I think he will be a bust, but I think with our system i.e receivers just running verticals if we were to continue with that mantra then he will have high bust ability on the ravens. The NFL is all about the system your in and if your right system you soar if not bust ability.

#76 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

every players has there down moments in games but can you tell me what cornerback did Mike Evans faced last season whom was pretty good?

Nameless rice CB lmao!

#77 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Honestly I'm not sure I think he will be a bust, but I think with our system i.e receivers just running verticals if we were to continue with that mantra then he will have high bust ability on the ravens. The NFL is all about the system your in and if your right system you soar if not bust ability.

Yeah I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but he has a lot of work to do.  I think he needs to be picked by a team that is able to have some patience while he develops his overall game.  I don't think the Ravens have that luxury to wait on a guy to develop in our current state.

#78 kennygee90

kennygee90

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I can't believe people are complaining about this guy...He'll be a monster in the NFL with all these midget corner backs compared to him..Combined with some really good coaching this dude can terrorize defenses and his ability to make contested catches and shield his body away from the defender is almost unmatched in college football.....I really think this dude will put up over 1000yds his first year, NFL corner backs won't be able to handle him just as college corner backs can't either

#79 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Yes he is.

Irrelevant to us though, because I am 99.9% certain we are going to trade back and draft Matthews

Or if matthews speed isn't that great @ combine, we might grab him @ 2nd round.

That gives us room to grab the best #3/#4 lineman @ draft  Lewan/Robinson for OT   at 16/17th pick

then grab Matthews @ 2nd round.

That seems like a typical solid ravens pick right there.

#80 KeenansAnalysis

KeenansAnalysis

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I agree he does have deceptive speed, and takes advantage of positioning in zone coverage, but we have to remind ourselves that he had a very athletic qb, who could run around and extend plays better than anyone. i'd say atleast 60% of his catches were a result of Manzel's explosive scrambling keeping defensives in certain coverages to keep him contained and him extending the plays. He is not a fit at All with the RAVENS system and i dont see him a day one contributer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users