Ravens at Bengals      Pro Bowl Voting      #RavensPumpkin      Game Rewind   

Photo

Should extending Jimmy Smith and Torrey Smith be other priorities this offseason?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Jimmy Smith emerged as a great CB this season and is poised to continue to get better

he will be a FA following this coming season, if he puts up another season like the one he just put up, he may be too expensive after next season

so, should we lock him up now? or wait and take our chances after next season

Torrey Smith has become our #1 receiver this season eclipsing 1100 yards, the second most yards in a single season in Ravens history, and the first Raven receiver to break 1000 yards since Mason in 2009 

he is set to make a big contract after next season, especially if he puts up big numbers again

Extending both could pay off or be horrible moves, there is obviously some risk involved. Paying them now will mean that we wont be able to hang on to as many players because of cap, we may have to say good bye to a few more players than we want to, but I think it would pay off long term to go ahead and extend these guys while they won't cost insane money, waiting also involves big risk if these two mimic their success from this season

I understand that we already have our back against the cap at the moment and we still need to resign a couple players, but as I see it - the only absolutely must sign player is Monroe.

Pitta and Jones will be sorely missed, but letting them walk won't make as big an impact as letting Monroe walk. People say that we don't do enough to help Flacco out, resigning Torrey would be huge for Flacco. And locking Jimmy up will greatly enhance our secondary for years to come, in my opinion, there is more risk with extending Jimmy than Torrey, but I think Jimmy will continue his great play and this year wasn't just a fluke.

Edited by hn68wb4, 19 January 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#2 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

If like to have at least one of them locked up. Jimmy preferably.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#3 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,716 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'm not sure we get to keep either.  They have the same agent, and it's the sleaziest agent in the business.  Rosenhaus won't settle for small deals, and the Ravens aren't going to overpay these guys.

But I don't think we're going to worry about them until next off-season.  Too many other concerns at the moment.

#4 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

I think they're going to do their best to get something done with Torrey before this season begins, and wait on Jimmy until next offseason.  When you look at our 2015 free agents, the only guys that matter right now are Torrey, Jimmy, and Suggs.  Suggs will almost certainly be handled this offseason.  If you can knock one of the Smiths out soon, next offseason's focus should really only be on the other Smith.

#5 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Jimmy has a fifth year option which would be worth $8 million, so they'll use that if they have to.

#6 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Jimmy will be the best player on this team In a few years time. Key cog to our future success. Torrey, I'm in the offer him a deal probably wants more and will move on camp

#7 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Jimmy will be the best player on this team In a few years time. Key cog to our future success. Torrey, I'm in the offer him a deal probably wants more and will move on camp

Torrey doesn't really strike me as that type of guy, he won't want top receiver money, well he will WANT it, but he won't demand it, he doesn't seem like the Mike Wallace type, more like the Fitzgerald type, the humble guy that will only ask for what he's earned and won't demand a huge contract

Edited by hn68wb4, 19 January 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#8 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Torrey doesn't really strike me as that type of guy, he won't want top receiver money, well he will WANT it, but he won't demand it, he doesn't seem like the Mike Wallace type, more like the Fitzgerald type, the humble guy that will only ask for what he's earned and won't demand a huge contract

didnt fitz get the biggest wideout deal in history when he signed his?

And regards torrey you realise who his agent is correct?

#9 wayne

wayne

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

IMO yes...... Jimmy will only get better and Torrey is still a dangerous threat to get behing the defense but we just need to a possession WR in here to work the middle while Torrey goes deep. Losing those two will be a set back at the positions to me.

#10 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

I remember when what seemed like the majority of the board gave up on Jimmy.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#11 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

I'm not sure we get to keep either. They have the same agent, and it's the sleaziest agent in the business. Rosenhaus won't settle for small deals, and the Ravens aren't going to overpay these guys.

But I don't think we're going to worry about them until next off-season. Too many other concerns at the moment.

That would be Joe Linta. Never had a agent talk so much crap about ravens in my life. He needs to be banned from ever doing business w/ ravens

#12 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

but not me, even drafted him in our little game! lol...

#13 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

yup things change fast.

both should be extended and chances are both will.

dq0w81.gif

#14 playlikeawhat

playlikeawhat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

The board was justified in giving up on Jimmy after watching him consistently eat shake and bake the first couple seasons.  Nobody wished failure on him.  He did it to himself.  Now he's a become a premier back for the defense.  Who wouldn't be happy for him?  He did very well this year and I look forward to seeing him get better.

Edited by playlikeawhat, 20 January 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#15 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

The board was justified in giving up on Jimmy after watching him consistently eat shake and bake the first couple seasons. Nobody wished failure on him. He did it to himself. Now he's a become a premier back for the defense. Who wouldn't be happy for him? He did very well this year and I look forward to seeing him get better.

I respectfully disagree that giving up on him was justified.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#16 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hopefully we can get some sort of hometown discount w/ Torrey.  He's from this area, all of his family is in this area, and the Ravens have been nothing but great to him.

Of course, with his agent, that could all go to hell in a hand basket very quickly.  But a boy can dream, right?

#17 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Resign jimmy now. Torrey after we find out what he can do with guys beside him he needs a procession wr to get open. Yes he had 1000 yards but was targeted over 70 times. we get a wr to play along side him like If we can get Evans. Jimmy is shut down material.

#18 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Lock up Jimmy, negotiate with Torrey but don't pay him yet. Not until he proves he can consistently do something other than nine routes.

You can get fast undrafted guys to run nine routes and lead the NFL in drops, just saying. Until Torrey proves he can develop his game and remain consistent, we should not give him big money.

Edited by The Raven, 20 January 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#19 playlikeawhat

playlikeawhat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

I respectfully disagree that giving up on him was justified.

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone expected an MVP performance out the gate.  I just think a lot of fans were disappointed with seeing a "1st round" draft pick struggle to Jimmy's extent.  I think that's what hurt perceptions of him the most.  Had he been a later round pick, I don't think early criticisms of him would've been as frequent or as harsh.  That being said, Jimmy deserves every ounce of praise he's gotten this past season.  I vote to extend Jimmy over Torrey by a slim margin.  Torrey started the year on a fast track but kind of tapered off at the end.  Jimmy was consistent for the most part.

#20 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

My thing about Jimmy, and I don't mean to be negative is he's really bad at off coverage.

So much so it concerns moving him at LCB because he'd see so much motion it would limit his effectiveness.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users