Jimmy Smith emerged as a great CB this season and is poised to continue to get better
he will be a FA following this coming season, if he puts up another season like the one he just put up, he may be too expensive after next season
so, should we lock him up now? or wait and take our chances after next season
Torrey Smith has become our #1 receiver this season eclipsing 1100 yards, the second most yards in a single season in Ravens history, and the first Raven receiver to break 1000 yards since Mason in 2009
he is set to make a big contract after next season, especially if he puts up big numbers again
Extending both could pay off or be horrible moves, there is obviously some risk involved. Paying them now will mean that we wont be able to hang on to as many players because of cap, we may have to say good bye to a few more players than we want to, but I think it would pay off long term to go ahead and extend these guys while they won't cost insane money, waiting also involves big risk if these two mimic their success from this season
I understand that we already have our back against the cap at the moment and we still need to resign a couple players, but as I see it - the only absolutely must sign player is Monroe.
Pitta and Jones will be sorely missed, but letting them walk won't make as big an impact as letting Monroe walk. People say that we don't do enough to help Flacco out, resigning Torrey would be huge for Flacco. And locking Jimmy up will greatly enhance our secondary for years to come, in my opinion, there is more risk with extending Jimmy than Torrey, but I think Jimmy will continue his great play and this year wasn't just a fluke.
Edited by hn68wb4, 19 January 2014 - 06:51 PM.