78 replies to this topic

#1 Capitalize

Capitalize

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

My gut instincts tells me that Eugene Monroe maybe too small to be the Ravens style at left tackle. He not big enough to maul people like what J. Ogden did in the pass and run game, which is what made him great. The O-line didn't get any better after the acquisition of Monroe.

Defensive ends now a days are a lot bigger and stronger. So it make sense if there are more better bigger and stronger options.

My solution in Free Agency: Jared Valdheer. His size 6'8" and 321 he can easily maul people having him and KO on the left side will make our O-Line  considerably better.

If we sign Valdheer our O-line would be the nastiest in the NFL. Valdheer - K.O.  - Yanda  and whoever our Center and Right Tackle is will be along for the ride. 

Please, Please, Please, strongly consider getting Jared Valdheer to be our left tackle!

Our O-line will be in better shape if we have maulers so we can get back to Ravens style of Smashmouth football!

#2 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

My gut instincts tells me that Eugene Monroe maybe too small to be the Ravens style at left tackle. He not big enough to maul people like what J. Ogden did in the pass and run game, which is what made him great. The O-line didn't get any better after the acquisition of Monroe.

Defensive ends now a days are a lot bigger and stronger. So it make sense if there are more better bigger and stronger options.

My solution in Free Agency: Jared Valdheer. His size 6'8" and 321 he can easily maul people having him and KO on the left side will make our O-Line  considerably better.

If we sign Valdheer our O-line would be the nastiest in the NFL. Valdheer - K.O.  - Yanda  and whoever our Center and Right Tackle is will be along for the ride. 

Please, Please, Please, strongly consider getting Jared Valdheer to be our left tackle!

Our O-line will be in better shape if we have maulers so we can get back to Ravens style of Smashmouth football!

He is a free agent. Came off Triceps surgery but started the last 5 games of the season giving up no sacks.

He's averaged about 1 sack every 4 games but that is diminishing as he matures.

Agree he'd be a vast improvement.  We'd be very lucky to even have a chance to acquire him.

<p>John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#3 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

This is absurd, there are plenty of 6'8" bums in the league that prove that size and strength don't make a great LT. The only thing Valdheer has on Monroe is height and he's coming off a year on the shelf. 

Monroe gives up two sacks in a game and everyone loses their minds.

Edited by BloodRaven, 18 January 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#4 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

I don't know if we'll just let him go elsewhere and loose those 2 picks. Aren't we trying to be a finesse blocking team anyway ?

#5 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

I am much more concerned about the right tackle situation than left tackle.  Monroe played pretty well this season having to come in, learn a new scheme, and then losing his starting left guard, not to mention working with a first time starter at center.  The line works together, and Eugene I think did the best that could be expected given the fluidity of the situation.  And just for comparisons sack, Joe Thomas 6'6", Ryan Clady 6'6", Russell Okung 6'5", Joe Staley 6'5", Duane Brown 6'4" - I'm pretty sure nobody would complain about any of those guys being Joe's blindside protector.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 18 January 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#6 RavensIQ13

RavensIQ13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'm not sure you realize just how good Eugene Monroe is. If we don't re-sign him or tag him he's going to be the top LT in free agency this year. Now Jareed Valheer is no slouch either don't get me wrong but he doesn't have the athleticism that Monroe has to handle the speed off the edge as efficiently. Plus he's coming off an injury riddled season in which he tore his tricep. I prefer Monroe but I dont think we could go wrong with Valheer either. Problem is they're both going to come at a hefty price. Luckily for us we have Monroe's rights and the ability to Franchise Tag him.

8c513_ORIG-denis_11.jpg  

*Flab to abs in one offseason*...AS-TER-RIKKKK, AS-TER-RIKKK mark-of-the FRAUDDDD

Edited by RavensIQ13, 18 January 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#7 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

The big difference is we lose a compensatory pick if we don't resign Monroe and sign Veldheer, so you're giving up a player.

Edited by izvoodoo, 18 January 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#8 Capitalize

Capitalize

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

I don't know if we'll just let him go elsewhere and loose those 2 picks. Aren't we trying to be a finesse blocking team anyway ?

Well we know how that worked out this season!

#9 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

monroe over veldheer is not really that close TBH........

dq0w81.gif

#10 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Well we know how that worked out this season!

Well it's not my plan but I think that's the way we're headed.

#11 Jamal

Jamal

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

The grass isnt always greener on the other side. We already know what we have in Monroe and that's a very good LT. I'm sure he is priority #1 for the FO as he should be.

#12 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

u dont trade for someone to release him in the offseason. ozzie will strike a deal with monroe and add depth thru FA and draft.

#13 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Just because Monroe is on the shorter side doesn't mean he's small, he's SHORT.

He's big enough and strong enough to play LT in this league and he's PROVEN that.
Banned

#14 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Keeping Monroe is arguably our biggest priority.

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

There is no situation. Monroe has it covered.

#16 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

If we don't keep Monroe our line is screwed.  A new LT, who knows how KO is, a new C and a new RT.

How do you expect Flacco to be protected next year if thats the case?

#17 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

For all you... saying monroe was poor take a read at this.
http://russellstreet...-line-analysis/

#18 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Certain people like to find fault in everything the FO does. No one actually bothers to do any research.

#19 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

That made me sad - it seems like Monroe and Yanda should be the only returning starters on that line next season, and even then it was noted Yanda might be reaching the age of decline.

#20 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Monroe is 6'6 and he's not tall enough? Wowwwwwwww

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users