Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitalize

The Left Tackle Situation

79 posts in this topic

My gut instincts tells me that Eugene Monroe maybe too small to be the Ravens style at left tackle. He not big enough to maul people like what J. Ogden did in the pass and run game, which is what made him great. The O-line didn't get any better after the acquisition of Monroe.

Defensive ends now a days are a lot bigger and stronger. So it make sense if there are more better bigger and stronger options.

My solution in Free Agency: Jared Valdheer. His size 6'8" and 321 he can easily maul people having him and KO on the left side will make our O-Line  considerably better.

If we sign Valdheer our O-line would be the nastiest in the NFL. Valdheer - K.O.  - Yanda  and whoever our Center and Right Tackle is will be along for the ride. 

Please, Please, Please, strongly consider getting Jared Valdheer to be our left tackle!

Our O-line will be in better shape if we have maulers so we can get back to Ravens style of Smashmouth football!

My gut instincts tells me that Eugene Monroe maybe too small to be the Ravens style at left tackle. He not big enough to maul people like what J. Ogden did in the pass and run game, which is what made him great. The O-line didn't get any better after the acquisition of Monroe.

Defensive ends now a days are a lot bigger and stronger. So it make sense if there are more better bigger and stronger options.

My solution in Free Agency: Jared Valdheer. His size 6'8" and 321 he can easily maul people having him and KO on the left side will make our O-Line  considerably better.

If we sign Valdheer our O-line would be the nastiest in the NFL. Valdheer - K.O.  - Yanda  and whoever our Center and Right Tackle is will be along for the ride. 

Please, Please, Please, strongly consider getting Jared Valdheer to be our left tackle!

Our O-line will be in better shape if we have maulers so we can get back to Ravens style of Smashmouth football!

He is a free agent. Came off Triceps surgery but started the last 5 games of the season giving up no sacks.

He's averaged about 1 sack every 4 games but that is diminishing as he matures.

Agree he'd be a vast improvement.  We'd be very lucky to even have a chance to acquire him.

This is absurd, there are plenty of 6'8" bums in the league that prove that size and strength don't make a great LT. The only thing Valdheer has on Monroe is height and he's coming off a year on the shelf. 

Monroe gives up two sacks in a game and everyone loses their minds.

I am much more concerned about the right tackle situation than left tackle.  Monroe played pretty well this season having to come in, learn a new scheme, and then losing his starting left guard, not to mention working with a first time starter at center.  The line works together, and Eugene I think did the best that could be expected given the fluidity of the situation.  And just for comparisons sack, Joe Thomas 6'6", Ryan Clady 6'6", Russell Okung 6'5", Joe Staley 6'5", Duane Brown 6'4" - I'm pretty sure nobody would complain about any of those guys being Joe's blindside protector.

I'm not sure you realize just how good Eugene Monroe is. If we don't re-sign him or tag him he's going to be the top LT in free agency this year. Now Jareed Valheer is no slouch either don't get me wrong but he doesn't have the athleticism that Monroe has to handle the speed off the edge as efficiently. Plus he's coming off an injury riddled season in which he tore his tricep. I prefer Monroe but I dont think we could go wrong with Valheer either. Problem is they're both going to come at a hefty price. Luckily for us we have Monroe's rights and the ability to Franchise Tag him.

8c513_ORIG-denis_11.jpg  

*Flab to abs in one offseason*...AS-TER-RIKKKK, AS-TER-RIKKK mark-of-the FRAUDDDD

The big difference is we lose a compensatory pick if we don't resign Monroe and sign Veldheer, so you're giving up a player.

I don't know if we'll just let him go elsewhere and loose those 2 picks. Aren't we trying to be a finesse blocking team anyway ?

Well we know how that worked out this season!

The grass isnt always greener on the other side. We already know what we have in Monroe and that's a very good LT. I'm sure he is priority #1 for the FO as he should be.

u dont trade for someone to release him in the offseason. ozzie will strike a deal with monroe and add depth thru FA and draft.

Just because Monroe is on the shorter side doesn't mean he's small, he's SHORT.

He's big enough and strong enough to play LT in this league and he's PROVEN that.

If we don't keep Monroe our line is screwed.  A new LT, who knows how KO is, a new C and a new RT.

How do you expect Flacco to be protected next year if thats the case?

I think resigning Monroe should be priority #1. Even over Pitta and Daryl Smith, who should be a close #2A and #2B.

I think resigning Monroe should be priority #1. Even over Pitta and Daryl Smith, who should be a close #2A and #2B.

Agreed - of the three he'd be the hardest to replace.

This is absurd, there are plenty of 6'8" bums in the league that prove that size and strength don't make a great LT. The only thing Valdheer has on Monroe is height and he's coming off a year on the shelf. 

Monroe gives up two sacks in a game and everyone loses their minds.

7 allowed sacks in 10 games.

Running game did not improve once he became starter.

Overall Winning Percentage worsened after he became starter.

Not gonna get hung up on the stats. What's more important is the fact that is Oz is in panic mode. This player was a panic acquisition.  That alone is reason to be careful. Not so fast.

7 allowed sacks in 10 games.

Running game did not improve once he became starter.

Overall Winning Percentage worsened after he became starter.

Not gonna get hung up on the stats. What's more important is the fact that is Oz is in panic mode. This player was a panic acquisition. That alone is reason to be careful. Not so fast.

he let up 5 sacks all year. Stop making things up

he let up 5 sacks all year. Stop making things up

Making things up?  You're accusing this avid fan of not doing the homework?  Really?

This fan has asked others to do a little digging to make the colloquy bilateral but they aren't inclined.  This fan does the homework, especially when there's a dichotomy between what is said and what was done. The view here is that Monroe was a Panic Acquisition and is not even as effective as his stats. 

The stats are out there. You'll find them if you're truly interested in whether Monroe is going to make a difference!

On the other hand, one can just defer to Oz.  Be careful with that.

Making things up?  You're accusing this avid fan of not doing the homework?  Really?

This fan has asked others to do a little digging to make the colloquy bilateral but they aren't inclined.  This fan does the homework, especially when there's a dichotomy between what is said and what was done. The view here is that Monroe was a Panic Acquisition and is not even as effective as his stats. 

The stats are out there. You'll find them if you're truly interested in whether Monroe is going to make a difference!

On the other hand, one can just defer to Oz.  Be careful with that.

monroe let up 5 sacks all year. Not 10 like you say. Your making stuff up.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_player.php?tab=by_player&season=2013&surn=Monroe&playerid=4931&pre=REG

5 sacks.