103 replies to this topic

#1 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

It has been reported that Caldwell will be taking him along to be his Defensive Coordinator.

I get the feeling that he was next in a long line of ravens defensive position coaches to become a great defensive coordinator.

Pees has done a good job as coordinator but I'd prefer a more aggressive scheme and coach like former coaches Pagano and Rex Ryan. Will Austin fit this mold? I for one will be happy for him but upset by our loss if he goes on to have success in making the Lions defense respectable.

But aside from hypotheticals and possibilities, what would his potential loss mean to the ravens defense? Who becomes the new defensive backs coach? And how do you think he will fare as a d coordinator?
Google me.

#2 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

Has that actually been announced???  or is it still speculation???  Our secondary was a strength this year.  Ihedigbo had a good season, Elam actually had a very good season considering he played out of position, and Webby (playing through a sports hernia) had a decent season, all things considering...  Jimmy Smith showed his development, and I love Corey Graham...  it will be a shame to lose him.   Hopefully, we have the coaches and skill to maintain our better offense.

117hd79.jpg

#3 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

I like Pees. I think his style is very balanced between aggressive and passive. He reminds me of Pagano in a way. 

Don't know too much about Austin, but I do know that our secondary has come on late in the season for the past two seasons. Maybe he's had something to do with that. 

But Pees will be up for a HC coaching job within the next few seasons if our defense can stay healthy and make CLUTCH plays. 

bleed P U R P L E!

#4 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

I like Pees. I think his style is very balanced between aggressive and passive. He reminds me of Pagano in a way. 

Don't know too much about Austin, but I do know that our secondary has come on late in the season for the past two seasons. Maybe he's had something to do with that. 

But Pees will be up for a HC coaching job within the next few seasons if our defense can stay healthy and make CLUTCH plays. 

Pees has said before that he isn't interested in a HC job at this stage in his career.

#5 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

Has that actually been announced???  or is it still speculation???  Our secondary was a strength this year.  Ihedigbo had a good season, Elam actually had a very good season considering he played out of position, and Webby (playing through a sports hernia) had a decent season, all things considering...  Jimmy Smith showed his development, and I love Corey Graham...  it will be a shame to lose him.   Hopefully, we have the coaches and skill to maintain our better offense.

Still speculation at this point.
Google me.

#6 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

I think this coaching turnover and re-positioning will cause issues.

#7 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Sometimes Pees' play calling baffles me, but the fact that our defense didn't struggle mightily after all of the losses last post season, I think the man deserve at least a bit of credit.

I think the main things that hampered our defense were:

1. The offense not being able to stay on the field consistently.  Numerous 3 and outs in a row in almost every game, as well as giving up far too many turnovers putting our defense in bad field position and often right after they got off the field
  2. Boneheaded play calling as well as sometimes playing it far too safe (only rushing 3 or 4 towards the end of the games when we were winning)

#8 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

Don't think he can.   I think coach Austin's contract dictate he can't get a job elsewhere unless its a HC job

#9 Jon_21

Jon_21

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Don't think he can.   I think coach Austin's contract dictate he can't get a job elsewhere unless its a HC job

Where did you get this from?  That would be fantastic news as he is a great coach to have around.  Now we just need to convince Ed Reed to retire and come be the assistant DB coach and we will have the most prepared DB group in the league.

#10 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Offer Austin the Defensive coaching job here.  Pees is weak and predictable. 

#11 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Offer Austin the Defensive coaching job here.  Pees is weak and predictable. 

As evidenced by..?

#12 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

As evidenced by..?

What Hiring Austin? Or pees is weak and predictable?

Edited by RBates, 15 January 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#13 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

What Hiring Austin? Or pees is weak and predictable?

"Pees is weak and predictable. "

#14 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

"Pees is weak and predictable. "

4th quarter meltdowns along with us losing to every good offense we played this season.  I don't know what else you need.

I can call our defense and who's coming on blitzes just about every game. 

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:46 AM

4th quarter meltdowns along with us losing to every good offense we played this season.  I don't know what else you need.

I can call our defense and who's coming on blitzes just about every game. 

Cool story bro. I bet you can guide an NFL defense to the top ten in points allowed too.  :Cool_408:

4th quarter meltdowns had everything to do with lack of pressure and missed tackles and very little to do with Pees. 

Edited by The Raven, 15 January 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#16 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

The Db's have looked good since hiring Austin.  He turned our first round CB selection into a beast.  

He also got Webby back up to speed after major surgery.  I can't think of one player that has looked terrible in the secondary. 

Austin for DC 

#17 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

I don't even know where to look for a new secondary coach. Maybe Reed will come to his senses, retire, and come here to coach. 

Seriously though, who could we hire? I guess it would have to be a college position coach or something like that.

Edited by The Raven, 15 January 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#18 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

Cool story bro. I bet you can guide an NFL defense to the top ten in points allowed too.  :Cool_408:

4th quarter meltdowns had everything to do with lack of pressure and missed tackles and very little to do with Pees. 

Don't forget the fact that our "offense" gets off the field after 3 downs leaving the defense gassed.....

Pees is "average". I'll give him blame when I'm mad, but overall he's not terrible. We can live with him.

Banned

#19 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Pees play calling with the amount of talent he had at his disposal is good but i need great.  You keep saying top ten defense. Well how about you look at the amazing offenses that we played all year.  We played five good offenses all season.  Two of the five we played, our defensive performance, probably help them get into the top five. 

Pees is vanilla with his play calling and it gets on my nerves.

#20 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

Don't forget the fact that our "offense" gets off the field after 3 downs leaving the defense gassed.....

Pees is "average". I'll give him blame when I'm mad, but overall he's not terrible. We can live with him.

I kindly disagree, we shouldn't accept "average", we are known for having a "nasty" D and we should abide by it (and by the way Ozzie put the blame on the D for missing out on 3-4 games this season, I bet there's going to be "movement" to rectify that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users