Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

Offensive System/Scheme for 2014

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Offensive System/Scheme for 2014 (98 member(s) have cast votes)

What offensive system would you like to see run in 2014

1. Air Coryell (stick with the same framework) (16 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

2. Voted West Coast (Walsh) (38 votes [38.78%])

Percentage of vote: 38.78%

3. Erhardt-Perkins (26 votes [26.53%])

Percentage of vote: 26.53%

4. Run N Shoot (15 votes [15.31%])

Percentage of vote: 15.31%

5. Read Option (3 votes [3.06%])

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Now that Jim Caldwell has been hired by the Lions, the Ravens will look to find a new OC. Given that the person we bring in will run a variant of one of the five main offensive systems these days. So I was curious to see what kind of system Ravens fans would like to see run in the 2014 season (which will also influence who the choice of OC would be.

So just for fun, what system do you think the Ravens should run?

Edited by TXRavensFan, 14 January 2014 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Earhart-Perkins please. Balanced strategy. Run the ball, pass the ball, and suck up TOP. I love it. The EP offense with some Coryell and Walsh sprinkled in is perfect.

#3 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Earhart-Perkins please. Balanced strategy. Run the ball, pass the ball, and suck up TOP. I love it. The EP offense with some Coryell and Walsh sprinkled in is perfect.

I agree, I think that this is the best apprach to take and would lend itself to the most versatility on offense. EP was originally known as a ground and pound type offense, but can also fit with an up-tempo passing attack as well.

Posted Image

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

I agree, I think that this is the best apprach to take and would lend itself to the most versatility on offense. EP was originally known as a ground and pound type offense, but can also fit with an up-tempo passing attack as well.

The problem with the EP is that you need receivers that are capable of running short routes and occasionally making catches in traffic. You also need an offensive line that can actually open a hole. I do think Torrey would be a good fit. If we switch to this scheme, I'd keep Doss, too. This offense is built to be efficient instead of the stupid inefficient offense we've been running. 

#5 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

I'd like a west coast offense. Short passing game Attack the middle the field. Put it Joe's hands. Of course that would require a slot receiver so it's all about what we plan to do in FA/draft.

Bring in a Childress or Shanahan. Someone familiar with the system and has experience. I wouldn't mind a younger gun though, all I want is change.

Draft an LSU receiver. Beckham Jr or Landry. I'd be happy with Beckham in 1st, Landry in 2nd.

Earhart-Perkins would be great too. All I know is we need some new personnel and I don't want to stay in the Air Coryell.

#6 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

I see a couple votes for the Run N Shoot offense. I know some college teams run it, but it generally has fallen out of favor in the NFL. Anyone care to comment why they voted that way? I just think it's interesting to see other fans' thoughts on the topic.

Posted Image

#7 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

I think we should wait to see what the draft and free agency brings us to decide on a system.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)

Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP

Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#8 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

That said, we should steal the Saints playbook

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)

Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP

Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#9 redrum52

redrum52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

I like that.  The constant personnel shifting and a pretty balanced game plan.  They attack EVERY part of the field and keep defenses guessing.  Also good to see a nice mix of route combos to help get guys open.

Edited by redrum52, 14 January 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#10 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Hey, that one's probably closest to what The Raven described above lol

Posted Image

#11 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

I've been in favor of the Erhardt-Perkins since 2011 because after seeing what happened after Ben Grubbs got hurt, I realized we are never going to have the O-line that is stout enough to run the Air Coryell. Same goes for our WRs/TEs/RBs as none of them are perfect fits for the AC either.

Edited by PerpetuallyBored74, 14 January 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#12 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I think we should wait to see what the draft and free agency brings us to decide on a system.

That actually brings up an interesting point. Should we hire an OC that we hink is creative and get the offense on track, then look for player who fit the system he likes to run, or do we go find someone with a system more suited to the players we already have?

Almost like the football version of the chicken and the egg.

Posted Image

#13 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Did someone really vote read option? Haha

#14 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Did someone really vote read option? Haha

I didn't know Tyrod read these message boards...

Posted Image

#15 voxendu864

voxendu864

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Nobody even knows what this stuff means. Let's use the offense that wins us more games than everybody else so I can change my profile pic!

Edited by voxendu864, 14 January 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#16 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Get a bruiser back and big Olinemen and ground and pound, play action, use personnell correctly utilizing all routes in the route tree and fibd a solid posession receiver for 3rd down
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#17 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

I would like to see more short and midrange passing - and I don't want to here anything about how Flacco isn't good at that stuff, that's what he did his entire career at Delaware and his first 3 years here - we didn't start emphasizing the deep passing until 2011 when we drafted Torrey.  Now I think that's brought more big plays and something a bit harder to scheme against, but I feel the last 3 seasons we've gotten away from what was working pretty well in the first 3.  I'd like a good balance of moving the chains and big plays.

#18 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

air coryell in a sense. not that we just take shots every 2 to 3 plays, but keep our emphasis on the big play, focus our offense around that, make that be the thing that teams gameplan for, scare them into thinking a big play could come at anytime, take the shots when theyre available, and take advantage of defenses playing deep to prevent the big play, throw in lots of slants and crossing routes and pick plays, design plays for your guys to get open, instead of hoping one of your wr's will win a one-on-one with a cb. and once again, take the deep shots as often as possible, as long as it is productive.

#19 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

I see a couple votes for the Run N Shoot offense. I know some college teams run it, but it generally has fallen out of favor in the NFL. Anyone care to comment why they voted that way? I just think it's interesting to see other fans' thoughts on the topic.

I voted for it and I didn't want pure Run N Shoot but something of that nature. I was between that and EP though. I'll elaborate later when I get a chance.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#20 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Any system can be effective, it's more important to create matchup issues and be smart in the playcalling.  I think the importance of having a specific 'system' is over emphasized.

Just as a side note to the anti-West Coast crowd, McNabb was a less accurate QB than Flacco who had major success in that system because Andy Reid schemed it correctly.  Well, kind of.  He should have run more, but it's clear that it wasn't the strength of the team.  He proved he'll commit to the run in KC.  There must've been other factors at play there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users