60 replies to this topic

#1 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

In an article posted here a few days ago that I must have missed it talked about Ozzie being confident he will get "his coveted WR"...but who exactly is that? Ozzie says he already knows who he wants and that they will be available over the next few months of the offseason. However Ozzie leaves specifics out of the equation.

It sounds to me like Ozzie has his mind set on a FA WR that he wants...but he could just be talking about Mike Evans or a potential draft choice he has his sights on...or maybe BOTH!!! :) Lord knows we need all the receivers we can afford.

So who could this coveted mystery WR be?

My guesses:

1. Julian Edelman: He had a career year posting 100/1000/6TD and could come at a cheaper price too. You might say the Patriots would want to retain him, but they have Danny Amendola with 4 years left under contract and up and comers Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson. Julian Edelman would be a huge upgrade to our passing game and could be that weapon that oz was talking about who could move the chains and get some yards after the catch too. Edelman would be a great fit for us.

2. Miles Austin- The Cowboys are set to release Miles Austin this offseason, and if he is, Ozzie has another talented and cheaper option to consider. Austin is definitely a playmaker and a great all around WR...when he is healthy. But sometimes with injury prone players who have a lot of talent and potential, you have to take a shot on them.  Austin had a good year in 2012 and thats what you have to bank on, I feel like Miles Austin would definitely help out our team. The Patriots took a shot on Danny Amendola last year on a pretty big contract given his injury concerns...although amendola missed some games...he still finished with respectable stats and made some big catches against the Colts in the playoffs. And Austin would come some where around a 2 year contract not worth much.

3. Big name WR- Dont be surprised if Ozzie does go after someone like Hakeem Nicks or Eric Decker.

4. Rookie WR- All in all I believe Ozzie will sign a free agent receiver  AND draft one. But in the situation where ozzie doesnt make too big of a splash in FA there are a lot of good WRs in the draft. I like Mike Evans with our 1st rounder, or maybe BeckhamJR with the 2nd rounder.

So with Ozzie leering at WRs this offseason who do you think he is targeting for our team? Free agent...rookie draft prospect...both???

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 13 January 2014 - 03:06 PM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#2 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

highly doubt signing a FA WR is the goal. we plain and simple dont have the cap space for a receiver who will be anything special. 

#3 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Maybe I misinterpreted Ozzie, but I'm not sure he had a specific player in mind, more of a specific type of player.

@gabefergy

#4 gooftroop

gooftroop

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

It seemed to me Oz was referring to a type of receiver than a specific player.

#5 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,601 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Edelman makes me sick but he's a nice player

I agree that Ozzie was looking more for a type but there have to be names attached to that
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#6 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Typical  press conference talk if you ask me.  I'm just waiting to see and not falling for or getting caught up in all of this off season hype of what the Ravens offense will look like next season!  Been there...done that....heard it all before and look at us now!  Just be about and stop talking about it FO.  Smh!

#Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"Hunt!  Hunt!  Hunt!  Keep Hunting!  Until You Put'em on Your Wall!"

- Ray Lewis

#7 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

As much as Edelman irks me, I really wanted him last year and think he'd still be useful.  I'm not sure what this breakout year does to his price, though.  I'll pass on Austin.  The guy has rubber bands for hamstrings nowadays.  I don't think Nicks, Decker, etc. are options due to their price tags.  I think if we do pick someone up in FA, it's someone in the James Jones price range or less.  I think it's more than likely that we're targeting a few guys through the draft than we are to pick someone up in FA.

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,460 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

My concern with Edelman is that he had a breakout year due to being force fed the ball, not because he's actually good. His numbers were very average (and maybe less than that) until this season, when he was one of two respectable receiving threats. 

#9 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Maybe I misinterpreted Ozzie, but I'm not sure he had a specific player in mind, more of a specific type of player.

This. I see the FO targeting a specific type of WR and they will likely get him in the draft. 

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#10 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

As much as Edelman irks me, I really wanted him last year and think he'd still be useful.  I'm not sure what this breakout year does to his price, though.  I'll pass on Austin.  The guy has rubber bands for hamstrings nowadays.  I don't think Nicks, Decker, etc. are options due to their price tags.  I think if we do pick someone up in FA, it's someone in the James Jones price range or less.  I think it's more than likely that we're targeting a few guys through the draft than we are to pick someone up in FA.

I don't think James Jones is gonna be that cheap.

I think is looking for a slot receiver. I'm still hollerin for Beckham Jr. Oz can trade back maybe 6 spots and regain a 4th.

I really believe they thought Doss was gonna be that guy.

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I don't think James Jones is gonna be that cheap.

I think is looking for a slot receiver. I'm still hollerin for Beckham Jr. Oz can trade back maybe 6 spots and regain a 4th.

I really believe they thought Doss was gonna be that guy.

I view him as a $3.5-4M per year type of guy.  I don't see him coming here anyway, but if Ozzie does look to the FA market, I'd expect around that amount to be the limit.

#12 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

I view him as a $3.5-4M per year type of guy. I don't see him coming here anyway, but if Ozzie does look to the FA market, I'd expect around that amount to be the limit.

If that's our budget, I would rather it be for James Jones than Jacoby Jones. That said, I doubt James leaves GB. They tend to keep their players unless they decide to go ahead and lock up Jordy instead.

@gabefergy

#13 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

It seemed to me Oz was referring to a type of receiver than a specific player.

This.

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

If that's our budget, I would rather it be for James Jones than Jacoby Jones. That said, I doubt James leaves GB. They tend to keep their players unless they decide to go ahead and lock up Jordy instead.

Yeah that budget is just a guess on my part.  If Suggs is gone, we should be able to afford $4M annually.  I really doubt we hit WR in free agency, though.

On James Jones, GB is apparently going to let him walk because they believe Boykin can step up into that role behind Nelson and Cobb.

#15 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Judging the WR in the draft Marqis Lee should be a beast in the slot. He has great routes body control and so elusive. That fits Ozzie YAC perfectly.  If he isn't there Jarvis Landry looks like he could play that role also.

I would love Edleman but someone will be able to out bid us.

#16 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

My concern with Edelman is that he had a breakout year due to being force fed the ball, not because he's actually good. His numbers were very average (and maybe less than that) until this season, when he was one of two respectable receiving threats.

edelman was a product of the system but he is still a damn good receiver. He's more athletic than Wes welker, he's also bigger stronger and tougher. Not sure if he has the brainpower or the consistent hands, but he is actually good and would be a respectable 8-900 yard receiver annually on most teams

#17 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Joe Flacco could force feed Tandon Doss or anyone of our WRs the ball and I guarantee he wouldnt have the output Julian Edelman had. He is always open over the middle and is a pretty reliable target. The big picture is that Edelman is better than the majority of our WRs except maybe Torrey. He would be a big upgrade on what we got and could be a center piece in our passing game specifically where we were horrible last year which was converting 3rd downs. 

In my opinion Julian Edelman is worth only about $4M per year given this was by far his only productive season with the Pats, however the FA market will likely make him overpaid as per usual. But I feel like ozzie could pull another Elvis Dumervill type deal and give him around $30M on 5 years, with the right structuring it could get done.

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 13 January 2014 - 04:36 PM.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#18 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Doubt we sign anyone, unless they come cheap, so i wouldn't expect any big name signings. I doubt Edelman leaves the Patriots, and no thanks to Miles Austin. I really believe they know the type of WR they want, and that WR is in the draft. 

Edited by bauer77, 13 January 2014 - 04:45 PM.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#19 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,460 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

edelman was a product of the system but he is still a damn good receiver. He's more athletic than Wes welker, he's also bigger stronger and tougher. Not sure if he has the brainpower or the consistent hands, but he is actually good and would be a respectable 8-900 yard receiver annually on most teams

Joe Flacco could force feed Tandon Doss or anyone of our WRs the ball and I guarantee he wouldnt have the output Julian Edelman had. He is always open over the middle and is a pretty reliable target. The big picture is that Edelman is better than the majority of our WRs except maybe Torrey. He would be a big upgrade on what we got and could be a center piece in our passing game specifically where we were horrible last year which was converting 3rd downs. 

In my opinion Julian Edelman is worth only about $4M per year given this was by far his only productive season with the Pats, however the FA market will likely make him overpaid as per usual. But I feel like ozzie could pull another Elvis Dumervill type deal and give him around $30M on 5 years, with the right structuring it could get done.

I'm not so sure, guys. Idk if it's because of injury or what, but this was Edelman's only 1000 yard season, and he's 27. His second best season was his rookie year, when he caught 37 for 359. 

I understand that he has bounced between CB and WR, but it doesn't appear to me that he's that great. I want to sign him for competition and depth, but I doubt he's any kind of savior. We'll see though. He's a talented guy, just not sure if he's as good as his production shows. 

#20 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Yeah that budget is just a guess on my part. If Suggs is gone, we should be able to afford $4M annually. I really doubt we hit WR in free agency, though.

On James Jones, GB is apparently going to let him walk because they believe Boykin can step up into that role behind Nelson and Cobb.

That makes sense. Boykin was pretty good for them this year. I wouldn't mind Jones here, but I doubt it happens. Its much more likely we address WR via the draft.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users