19 replies to this topic

#1 Capitalize

Capitalize

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

I see something really specail in John Simon. He's got the speed to run sideline to sideline , he can tackle well, and stuff the run. And oh yeah he can be a leader on the defense.

He is too good to just be a Rush OLB. Why not put him in the middle of the defense? It only makes sense!

And he's got too much talent to not be on the field at the same time with Suggs and Dumervil.

He's got to be a Middle Linebacker plain and simple.

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

No.  Simon's best attribute is pass rushing.  He's very poor in coverage right now, and probably average at best in run stuffing. Is that a guy you want in the middle of the defense?

#3 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,846 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

I think his frame and physical attributes would be best used in the middle, but his skill set forces him outside. 

I think we might see him get reps at ILB in OTAs and maybe even camp and preseason, but I doubt he leaves the OLB spot, especially with Suggs potentially getting cut. 

Edited by The Raven, 13 January 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#4 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

How exactly is John Simon a better ILB than Daryl Smith or Arthur Brown again?

#5 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

The title is misleading.  Usually when someone makes a title like that there are facts to support their title, not them hoping it happens.  I would like Arthur Brown to strong safety, Oher to guard or Castillo to another team, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

And no, he's fine where he is now and don't think he has the skill set to play mlb in our system.

#6 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

The title is misleading. Usually when someone makes a title like that there are facts to support their title, not them hoping it happens.

Agreed and it's changed
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#7 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

he doesnt have the speed for it, i dont know what sideline to sideline speed youre seeing, but its not there, hes got an explosive burst off the ball and some straight line speed, but he doesnt have the lateral speed, nor the shiftiness to play MLB, not to mention he has potential to be a dangerous pass rusher in the next few years, which is THE most valued position on defense maybe after a man covering shutdown corner. there is zero reason to make him a MLB

#8 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Agreed and it's changed

My main man B is on Johnny on the spot! :D

@Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#9 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Completely disagree, especially with the outside chance that Suggs could wind up as a cap casualty. We need him rushing the passer and everyone else pretty much already hit on the reasons why he doesn't need a positional change.

#10 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

No!!!

#11 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

He is a pure pass rusher currently, he has a problem setting the edge and covering. He does have an explosive burst off the snap and relentless attitude I think he is best for the role Paul Kruger had his last 2 years here and that's coming in on pure pass rushing downs.

#12 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Going to take a college 43 DE and magically turn him into a MLB?  It took McClain, what 3 full NFL seasons to learn the position?

Not only that but you're going to take a potential pass rusher, who actually faired well in that role in college, from the defense when we have no one under the age of 30 who can actually pass rush?

Brutal recipe.  ILB in a 34 defense is the lowest position on the 34 front 7 food chain.  Its literally the position you can have a guy who can do nothing well and still get away with it (ie Bynes).

#13 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

I've been thinking that since we drafted him.I think its a good idea that we should atleast try.It's not like he'll be seeing the field as an OLB anytime soon.He is stuck behind Doom,Suggs,McPhee and Upshaw.He's the perfect size and weight for an ILB.Also,contrary to what Joeyflex said,he has the speed for it.Heres some numbers I found in a post by LEGEN-wait for it-DARY.

He's actually just as fast as Navorro Bowman, matching his 4.62 pro day 40 yard dash while posting numbers similar to Bowman in other tests as well including the vertical and broad jumps, so I hope the team does try him at ILB.

EDIT: While doing some more looking, Simon actually matched Patrick Willis' pro day 3 cone drill at 7.10 seconds and came very close to his 20 yard shuttle time running it in 4.42 compared to Willis' 4.37.

Turning OLB Lawrence Timmons into an ILB worked out perfectly for the steelers so it could work for us too....

#14 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

Speed is the only thing that won't keep him from playing MLB. He's not the fastest guy in the world but ILB usually aren't that fast, he's probably faster than a lot of ILB in the league. So I don't think that should be an issue. That said he's a natural DE/OLB, makes no sense to move him to MLB especially if all you go by is "he's fast" or "he can tackle". A lot of players are fast and can tackle, that doesn't mean they're suited to play MLB. Comparing DE to MLB is like comparing QB to WR, they're 2 totally different positions. A lot of receivers can throw the ball well, that doesn't mean they can play QB either. Let's move on from this "idea", it's a waste of time...

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#15 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

I'm sure a topic like this was made last season but it doesn't make anymore sense, watch his tape when he moves in the open field, he's not exactly fluid in motion.

I do think he will eventually start and be a more productive pass rusher than Upshaw, who can't generate pressure and walks around at 300 during the offseason.

#16 Robbo15

Robbo15

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

I've been thinking that since we drafted him.I think its a good idea that we should atleast try.It's not like he'll be seeing the field as an OLB anytime soon.He is stuck behind Doom,Suggs,McPhee and Upshaw.He's the perfect size and weight for an ILB.Also,contrary to what Joeyflex said,he has the speed for it.Heres some numbers I found in a post by LEGEN-wait for it-DARY.

Turning OLB Lawrence Timmons into an ILB worked out perfectly for the steelers so it could work for us too....

its worth a try

#17 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Simon does not have fluid hips.

Lets give him a season or 2 to do what hes best at before trying to fit a square peg into a pencil sharpener.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK, 15 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

Google me.

#18 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

This exact topic was made when he was drafted and most people agreed that he should not be converted to an ILB. He has shown pass rush ability and a high motor. He's also one of the hardest workers. I think he is best suited as an OLB and I think he'll be a darn good one in a year or two.

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#19 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

This exact topic was made when he was drafted and most people agreed that he should not be converted to an ILB. He has shown pass rush ability and a high motor. He's also one of the hardest workers. I think he is best suited as an OLB and I think he'll be a darn good one in a year or two.

Harbaugh was even asked about moving Simon and said he wasn't an inside linebacker type of guy.

#20 EdReedFTW

EdReedFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Every year we have the "what olb should convert to a middle linebacker."

Anyone remember the "Should JJ convert" conversations?

"I wanted to make the moves Reed does when he has the ball. I couldn’t do that. He can."-Ronnie Lott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users