1232 replies to this topic

#1 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Do we really need to make an individual thread for every single prospect?  I think not.

One of the guys I'd like to call attention to is Gabe Jackson, OG from Mississippi State.  He's really big and really really strong for a guard.  I'm not necessarily a fan of taking an OG early, since we have so many 'developmental' guys there right now, but I'd make an exception for him in the second.  It's not like KO is a sure thing with the back issues, we know how that goes from Gaither.  Even if he was, he has not been overly impressive during his short career and I wouldn't have a problem moving him back to RT.  Jackson is a guy who can definitely come in right away and help the run came, he is a beast.  He's improved his technique during his senior season, and is solid in pass pro and dominant as a run blocker.  He simply can't be overpowered.  I worry about his mobility a bit and the scheme fit, but he has the look of a dominant guard to me.  He's one of the guys I'll be keeping track of at the Senior Bowl.  

If we want to go back to having a dominantly powerful OL, I say take Jackson in the second and Morgan Moses in the third.  I'd like to add a TE, but those guys are big and strong enough to have an immediate impact on our team's truly problematic area.

#2 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:01 AM

He's the best guard in this class, kind of like a more powerful and slightly less mobile KO.

Every prospect discussion thread should just be merged by position, all the receivers together, tight ends together etc

#3 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Every prospect discussion thread should just be merged by position

Moderator I, II or III ,,, sounds like a great idea to me; any chance of this happening with say the last months worth of posts???

#4 Stephenjr

Stephenjr

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Do we really need to make an individual thread for every single prospect?  I think not.

One of the guys I'd like to call attention to is Gabe Jackson, OG from Mississippi State.  He's really big and really really strong for a guard.  I'm not necessarily a fan of taking an OG early, since we have so many 'developmental' guys there right now, but I'd make an exception for him in the second.  It's not like KO is a sure thing with the back issues, we know how that goes from Gaither.  Even if he was, he has not been overly impressive during his short career and I wouldn't have a problem moving him back to RT.  Jackson is a guy who can definitely come in right away and help the run came, he is a beast.  He's improved his technique during his senior season, and is solid in pass pro and dominant as a run blocker.  He simply can't be overpowered.  I worry about his mobility a bit and the scheme fit, but he has the look of a dominant guard to me.  He's one of the guys I'll be keeping track of at the Senior Bowl.  

If we want to go back to having a dominantly powerful OL, I say take Jackson in the second and Morgan Moses in the third.  I'd like to add a TE, but those guys are big and strong enough to have an immediate impact on our team's truly problematic area.

After watching the Patriots O-line dominate yesterday, I am now in Favor of drafting a O-lineman in the first round. We need to go back to power football. Castillo is not a Power football guy. I'm afraid that no matter who we draft, Castillo will screw there head up! Shame on HarBoo for having so much Pride, that he won't do what is best for this organization. He is digging his own grave. Hand me a shovel, so we can get the hole dug faster! Lol

#5 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

He's the best guard in this class, kind of like a more powerful and slightly less mobile KO.

Every prospect discussion thread should just be merged by position, all the receivers together, tight ends together etc

The receiver one should be separate, but these individual clutter threads have got to stop.

Jackson is my top guard right now too though.

#6 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

The receiver one should be separate, but these individual clutter threads have got to stop.

Jackson is my top guard right now too though.

you should change the name of this thread to "2014 Draft OG Prospects Thread" or something like that so you don't have to change your description, then you or someone else can make another one for another position and do it like that for our need positions or just every position in general

I think people think that no enough attention is being called to the players they think need to be looked at with this kind of format, as someone who is guilty of making a thread for an individual player (Chris Borland) I think that's why individual player threads are being started and may not be stopped just because of the position threads, I'll stop, but I don't think it'll be stopped completely

#7 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,624 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

I think individual player threads are fine. Each positional thread will likely end up focusing on two or three guys anyway

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#8 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

I think individual player threads are fine. Each positional thread will likely end up focusing on two or three guys anyway

2jdf8jm.jpg

That's why we've traditionally had one for all the prospects.

#9 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Darqueze Dennard is being grossly overrated at the moment.  I don't see him testing well at the combine.  He's going to get burned a lot by certain schemes, he's really slow.  And his physicality will result in penalties.  I've seen most people peg him as a first rounder, but he's not that IMO.

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,995 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Darqueze Dennard is being grossly overrated at the moment.  I don't see him testing well at the combine.  He's going to get burned a lot by certain schemes, he's really slow.  And his physicality will result in penalties.  I've seen most people peg him as a first rounder, but he's not that IMO.

I completely disagree. He's a great coverage corner who erases the guy he is on. He is physical, but not overly grabby. I think there is a difference, and for all the talk about him being slow I don't see him getting beat deep. He knows how to control his receiver which is a very special talent, shades of Revis. My one complaint with Dennard is he is not very strong in run support.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,995 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

As for Gabe Jackson, I do like him but not in the first round. He's more of a 2nd-3rd round prospect as he is a bit limited athletically and probably is only suited for a power run scheme. I would take Cyril Richardson, David Yankey, Xavier Su'a-Filo, and Zack Martin ahead of him personally.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#12 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,977 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

I completely disagree. He's a great coverage corner who erases the guy he is on. He is physical, but not overly grabby. I think there is a difference, and for all the talk about him being slow I don't see him getting beat deep. He knows how to control his receiver which is a very special talent, shades of Revis. My one complaint with Dennard is he is not very strong in run support.

I agree with this.  If there's one knock on his play, it's that he's overaggressive when going for the tackle and misses quite often.  I think he's clearly the top CB in this class.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#13 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,162 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

I have Dennard as my #1 CB in the class closely followed by Justin Gilbert os Oklahoma State.  I like my corners to be physical, press man coverage guys and Dennard fits the bill in my opinion.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#14 Kaiowas

Kaiowas

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

The Stanford guys:
OG: David Yankey (6'5 314)
DE: Murphy (6'6 261), Gardner (6'4 277) and Mauro (6'6 282)
ILB Shayne Skov (6'2 245)
Fs: Ed Reynolds (6'2 206)

I would be happy with any of them.

Play Like a Raven
This is Baltimore, gentlemen......
The Gods Will Not Save You 

#15 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Verrett is my favorite corner in the class right now, but I understand why he's rated as a later first compared to the other guys.  If he was a few inches taller or even just a bit more physical he'd probably be the top corner on everyone's board.  I think he's balanced and has good cover skills though.

Athletically I can see why Gilbert is ranked by most where he is, but he's another guy that I'm not too impressed with.  He reminds me a little of Antonio Cromartie.  He gets lost from time to time, but size and speed will push guys up the boards.

I'll agree to disagree with you guys on Dennard.  I watch a lot of B1G football and haven't been overly impressed with him, but I could be wrong.  I worry about the cheerleader effect with some of those Michigan State guys.  I don't think he's a bad player by any means, I'm just not as high on him as some other people are.  I have seen him get beat deep by guys who aren't that fast though.  Poor QB play might have kept it from resulting in much, like against Iowa, but he still got beat and those are throws you'd expect a NFL QB to make.

#16 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:05 AM

As for Gabe Jackson, I do like him but not in the first round. He's more of a 2nd-3rd round prospect as he is a bit limited athletically and probably is only suited for a power run scheme. I would take Cyril Richardson, David Yankey, Xavier Su'a-Filo, and Zack Martin ahead of him personally.

I like Richardson, he has great athleticism for the position.  He'd definitely be a plug and play left guard, he's another one of those dancing bear types.  We're on the same page with the value spot on these guys though, although our rankings are a bit different.  Yankey, Martin, and Richardson are all fine with me in the second if we're going guard.

Edited by T3hRaven, 16 January 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#17 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,106 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

George Uko anyone? DL USC

I'd take him in the 4th. Nice interior pass rusher but horrible against the run. I think it mostly because of his technique which could be fixed and once he adds more strength. His first year he'd probably only play on passing downs but I think he's got potential. Also versatile lining up all over the DL.

It's so hard to find tape of him though. I know it's random I've just been working on a mock.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#18 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

I'd take him in the 4th. Nice interior pass rusher but horrible against the run. I think it mostly because of his technique which could be fixed and once he adds more strength. His first year he'd probably only play on passing downs but I think he's got potential. Also versatile lining up all over the DL.

It's so hard to find tape of him though. I know it's random I've just been working on a mock.

He's a hot head and undisciplined. Don't want him

#19 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,977 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

No thanks.  He's another tweener type of guy that doesn't really fit here, in my opinion.  He's probably too big to be an OLB, but too small to play DL.  He reminds me a lot of Pernell McPhee in the fact that he wouldn't really have much of a spot.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#20 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,106 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Well then..
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users