Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitalize

Free Safety Jairus Byrd

51 posts in this topic

I say we should do everything in our power the get Free Saftey Jairus Byrd.

First of all, I do not want to wait to develop a free safety. The main reason why is becuase we should not be rebuilding we should be Reloading. We need to win now and should be trying to win more superbowls.

There is no shame in trying to Buy a Superbowl. We did it with the 2000 defense so why not do it again?

Second, Byrd will complete an already Solid Secondary. Smith, Webb, Elam, and Byrd. We will be right there with the Seahawks as the 1-2 best Secondary in the NFL.

Couple that with a healthy pass rush from Doom and Sizzle you you got a special defense.

Thrid, if we have an opportunity to assemble another great defense even close to the one of 2000. You gotta do it!

Let's face it Joe Flacco is not the guy to carry a team on his shoulders and he will never be an MVP (in the Regualr season that is).

We can dream, but its not gonna happen. Not enough cap room,  and if it would happen, it would create too many holes at other positions (since we probably won't be able to resign Monroe/Pitta/Smith, etc then)

that would be a great move to our defense but his buying price would be entirely more than we're willing to spend on one person.

Chill with so many new threads, man.  I know you're new, but keep it to a minimum.

To answer the thread, it's not going to happen.  He's going to cost too much and we have too many of our own guys that are due for contracts.

Im tired of the mentally that we can't afford to draft a playmaker and let him starter because we in a win right now mode . Tell me what team isn't in a win right now mode?  Believe it or not the Ravens wont be able to afford Jairus Byrd at all unless he seriously decides to accepts to be paid less money .

Not to mention that ownership wants to keep this team competive every year. Buying a Super Bowl by adding a bunch of high price free agents means they'll have to blow up the team in a year or two and totally rebuild.

Remember 2002-2008?

I agree in part, even when we were beating up QB's up front the backend wasn't holding up because neither Huff or Elam can play deep coverage. With that said we are in cap hell and Byrd is a pipe dream.

Yeah man,our offense struggled last year and ranked bottom 5 in every category so lets just say screw them and go spend all our cap money on the most expensive db on the market.DEFENSE!!!Flacco can't carry us,man.Lets not even bother putting talent around him....     

Would we pay Byrd if the bogus salary cap did not exist?

Ummm
wow.
Is that question for real?

Yeah man,our offense struggled last year and ranked bottom 5 in every category so lets just say screw them and go spend all our cap money on the most expensive db on the market.DEFENSE!!!Flacco can't carry us,man.Lets not even bother putting talent around him....     

I guess that's it for this topic. There's literally nothing you can add to that post. +1

I say we should do everything in our power the get Free Saftey Jairus Byrd.

First of all, I do not want to wait to develop a free safety. The main reason why is becuase we should not be rebuilding we should be Reloading. We need to win now and should be trying to win more superbowls.

There is no shame in trying to Buy a Superbowl. We did it with the 2000 defense so why not do it again?

Second, Byrd will complete an already Solid Secondary. Smith, Webb, Elam, and Byrd. We will be right there with the Seahawks as the 1-2 best Secondary in the NFL.

Couple that with a healthy pass rush from Doom and Sizzle you you got a special defense.

Thrid, if we have an opportunity to assemble another great defense even close to the one of 2000. You gotta do it!

Let's face it Joe Flacco is not the guy to carry a team on his shoulders and he will never be an MVP (in the Regualr season that is).

we dont go after high priced players in FA, we will draft somebody .

We're not bringing in any new safeties. Ihedigbo will be re-signed and Elam will be next to him. Harbaugh made it clear in the press conference that they'll both be back next season. The safety play was ok, not great or bad. No need to spend all our dough to upgrade the safety position, it's not that important. Guys like Art Jones and other FA's are a priority.

I doubt the Ravens get him in free agency this year. The safety position in the draft is really weak this year, so that naturally would increase his worth.With the ravens to many other needs to get locked up by one guy.  He would probably got a much better contract with teams with more cap room.

We're not bringing in any new safeties. Ihedigbo will be re-signed and Elam will be next to him. Harbaugh made it clear in the press conference that they'll both be back next season. The safety play was ok, not great or bad. No need to spend all our dough to upgrade the safety position, it's not that important. Guys like Art Jones and other FA's are a priority.

Hogwash. They made it clear that FS was a priority. We lacked playmakers.

Hogwash. They made it clear that FS was a priority. We lacked playmakers.

How about you watch the PC first, then comment.

We all know you would like to keep Elam at FS.

:D

Lets just say he wasnt ed reed or rod woodsonesque. He was terrible in coverage. Played every snap since game 2 and had 2 PD all season...

Id be happy with clemons but it would be nice to have a true playmaker back there.

We'll be getting a FS (Ozzie explicitly made that a priority, though following up on it's another question), but don't expect the FO to go breaking any signing records for whoever we get. We need to spend a lot of time and money building around Joe, especially with how close we got to the playoffs this past season. A solid, stop-gap FS should be fine as they'll let Elam move back to his natural SS and round off our defence.

I love Ihedigbo, but I don't think he's our long-term future. A nice comp pick would help though.

I duno what press conference you watched but they emphasised a coverage safety. And I didn't get any kind of impression art Jones was a priority

We'll be getting a FS (Ozzie explicitly made that a priority, though following up on it's another question), but don't expect the FO to go breaking any signing records for whoever we get. We need to spend a lot of time and money building around Joe, especially with how close we got to the playoffs this past season. A solid, stop-gap FS should be fine as they'll let Elam move back to his natural SS and round off our defence.

I love Ihedigbo, but I don't think he's our long-term future. A nice comp pick would help though.

Ihedigbo I believe is 29, we won't be getting much long term value out of him if he does re-sign. 2-3 years tops. He'll probably move on like Pollard. Guys like that are not that hard to replace especially since we have a solid box safety in Elam.

We all know you would like to keep Elam at FS.

:D

Elam is awful in coverage, he has been ever since he stepped on the field and it showed in the preseason. He's a classic box safety, and he needs to wrap up properly otherwise he's not gonna last more than a year as a starter.

Ihedigbo I believe is 29, we won't be getting much long term value out of him if he does re-sign. 2-3 years tops. He'll probably move on like Pollard. Guys like that are not that hard to replace especially since we have a solid box safety in Elam.

you just said on the previous page he will be re signed because harbs guaranteed it in the press conference?

you just said on the previous page he will be re signed because harbs guaranteed it in the press conference?

Where exactly did I use the word guaranteed? Please don't put words in my mouth. I went by what I felt they were saying.  They didn't say we will sign a new starting safety nor did they say we will re-sign Ihedigbo. Some of what they're saying is them trying to get some leverage when it comes to talking money and re-signing guys. Ozzie brought up the Boldin situation when he referred to Suggs.

its Chris Clemons S form the Dolphins good coverage S or i think Antrel Rolle. now antrel is not a FA but he might be a Cap Casualty. he is 31 ,he's a ballhawk and he can play run support so if he is cut it makes alot of since. plus cheap money something we gave the other guy we though would be good, that kind of deal.

My guess is that Diggs remains. There may be some minor FA signing or later round picks to bolster the D, but the majority of resources are going into the O line, WR and TE.

My guess is that Diggs remains. There may be some minor FA signing or later round picks to bolster the D, but the majority of resources are going into the O line, WR and TE.

he might stay, but I can't see him and Elam starting next season, well playing the majority of snaps. We need to draft or sign a coverage guy. Notice I didn't say will. The front office also believe this and if you think back to last years PC they got every position they said they were looking at, so I believe they will again

If he stays, I think Ozzie made it clear that it won't be as a starter.  He wants Elam at SS and more of a playmaker at FS.  I think Ihedigbo has a good chance of getting a starting job somewhere, so I really doubt he's back unless he's comfortable with the backup role.  While this is clearly going to be an offseason focused on the offense, the one position Ozzie made clear that he'll be prioritizing on defense is FS.

If he stays, I think Ozzie made it clear that it won't be as a starter.  He wants Elam at SS and more of a playmaker at FS.  I think Ihedigbo has a good chance of getting a starting job somewhere, so I really doubt he's back unless he's comfortable with the backup role.  While this is clearly going to be an offseason focused on the offense, the one position Ozzie made clear that he'll be prioritizing on defense is FS.

Could be correct, but I think any defensive moves depend upon what $ are left after the O is retooled.  It may be that Diggs turns out to be the best option unless Ozzie finds a nugget later in the draft.  After all, Elam was a rookie and could improve at FS.

FS is a clear hole on our roster, but it's one of those positions that you don't NEED a great player at, considering how well our cbs play, we can do fine with a stop gap type player at FS. he's gonna command way too much money for a player we can live without, pair that with our glaring holes on offense, and it's a no brainer that he probably isn't even in consideration by the FO

Spend the resources on retooling the offensive line and continuing to get more weapons for Joe.

Byrd is too pricey and I would rather keep Jones if it was possible.

Could be correct, but I think any defensive moves depend upon what $ are left after the O is retooled.  It may be that Diggs turns out to be the best option unless Ozzie finds a nugget later in the draft.  After all, Elam was a rookie and could improve at FS.

I would venture to guess that bringing Ihedigbo back is a "last resort" type of option.  It's clear that he wants a more qualified FS back there.

Say goodbye to suggs...ask that oversized tongan to take a paycut too. Get byrd and shields. Done.

Say goodbye to suggs...ask that oversized tongan to take a paycut too. Get byrd and shields. Done.

Even with Suggs leaving the ravens wont be able to sign Byrd

tell flacco and ngata to take a paycut that would be a better representation of their talents. Im sure for the good of the team they wouldnt mind. lol

mercenaries.