27 replies to this topic

#1 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

While we must give Ozzie in company credit for finding the Ravens good players, no one is without a mistake, and these ten players are among his largest In writing this list I have also heavily taken into account what we gave up for the player: a lot of money, draft picks, etc. Here are the ten biggest free agent/trade acquisition busts in team history:

10) Donte Stallworth, WR, 2010. The Ravens paid him $900,000, had to go out of their way to express support in him, and in return received a mere two catches for 82 yards, and five rushes for 45 yards. He also lost a fumble. We easily could have gotten some undrafted rookie free agent to do that for three times as less and without the drama.

9) Stoney Case, QB, 1999. He started three games and threw 3 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.

7/8) Michael Huff (FS), Marcus Spears (DT), 2013. Can’t really separate them. Both were given a lot of money prior to the 2013 season, part of an array of signings for a defense which had taken an uncharacteristic slip the previous season. Huff embarrassed himself in a 49-27 smacking at the hands of the Broncos in week 1, and his role was mainly reduced to special teams, as rookie safety Matt Elam moved into a starting role. Spears was often injured, and both were released after week 7.

6) Frank Walker, CB, 2008-2009.  :bag: 

5) Dominique Foxworth, CB, 2009-2011. In 2009, he was signed for a 4-year, $28 million contract. He, alongside fellow free agent acquisition Chris Carr and rookie Lardarius Webb, was expected to fill the void left at cornerback that season by the departure of unreliable veterans Chris McAlister and Corey Ivy. Foxworth intercepted four passes in ’09, yet was consistently outrun on deep passes. He tore his ACL in the following minicamp and missed the entire 2010 season. He played two games in 2011 and, after an awful showing in a 26-13 loss in Tennessee, was put on IR, with the story that his knee had still not recovered. He was released. While probably one of the most articulate and intelligent players to players in team history, football-wise, Foxworth was a complete waste of valuable time and money.

4) L.J. Smith, TE, 2009. Smith was signed to a $1.5 million contract, but he recorded only two catches for 32 yards in an injury-plagued season.

3) Scott Mitchell, QB, 1999. One of three QBs in 1999 to start for the Ravens (with Stoney Case and Tony Banks). Banks was the only one to achieve success. Mitchell started two games early in the season, throwing only one touchdown and four interceptions. This was his only season in Baltimore.

2) Elvis Grbac, QB, 2001. He was signed to a 5 year contract, and Brian Billick expected him to give one of the most conservative offenses in NFL history a boost. Yet he started only 14 games in 2001, throwing 15 touchdowns and a disappointing 18 interceptions. He retired following the season.

1) Lee Evans, WR, 2011. Acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Bills, 2011. We paid him a fairly hefty salary and gave up a 4th round pick, thinking he could be the #2 receiver alongside Anquan Boldin. Yet in the first two games of the season he recorded only two catches. Rookie Torrey Smith soon took over the starting role, and Evans finished the season with only 4 catches, and he also dropped a pass or two. He finally seemed to be catching on in the playoffs, but he let a potential touchdown pass in the AFC Championship that would almost certainly have sent Baltimore to the Super Bowl get knocked out of his hands by New England Patriots cornerback Sterling Moore in a loss. He was released in the offseason.

Thanks for reading.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#2 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,543 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

If those are our biggest busts, we're doing okay
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#3 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I'll never forget Scott Mitchell. While he was getting sacked it reminded me of a water buffalo getting dragged down by a pack of hyenas.

Elvis Grbac would have been my #1 since he replaced a SB winng QB. Cunningham was my favorite QB on that team. Grbac stunk!!

I personally liked Stoney Case. He had some moxie and I think injuries took him out. Haven't heard that name in a while. Lol.

#4 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

I'll never forget Scott Mitchell. While he was getting sacked it reminded me of a water buffalo getting dragged down by a pack of hyenas.

Elvis Grbac would have been my #1 since he replaced a SB winng QB. Cunningham was my favorite QB on that team. Grbac stunk!!

I personally liked Stoney Case. He had some moxie and I think injuries took him out. Haven't heard that name in a while. Lol.

Personally I wouldn't have put Grbac so high. Sure he gets a lot of grief, but Jamal went down and was out for the year. Grbac at least kept us competitive and got us into the playoffs. IMO, no way Dilfer does anything with that team if we kept him.

Posted Image

#5 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

Frank Walker was by far the worst player we have ever had. I remember a play where he got called for holding AND PI on the same play!! And STILL gave up a 40 yard TD!!!! I have never seen a single player get flagged twice on the same play!!!! Horrible.

#6 B-more Ravor

B-more Ravor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Agreed. Most of those were minor signings (Case, for instance was brought in to be the 3rd QB).

IMO, Grbac has to be the top dog because of the cost and what he was supposed to be - and wasn't.

I'd also add Leon Searcy and Frank Sanders to the list based on the contracts they received and the role they were expected to play.

“Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter - @RavensSalaryCap

#7 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,872 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Huff and Spears were very minor busts compared to these guys.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#8 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Definitely Spears/Huff when you consider the money we gave to them that could have gone to keeping around a certain WR still playing in the playoffs ... 

#9 edthehead

edthehead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

My number 1 is ,,ELVIS GRBAC, he came in to help our offense instead he helped himself to a fat paycheck and then ladies and gentlemen "Elvis left the building"( could not resist)

#10 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

From  what my old man and his buddies tell me, it's Grbac. He could have been the difference that would have made that team a dynasty. 

#11 Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Erik Williams, only because he was such an animal and not THAT old.  Grbac and Foxworth I knew weren't that great, much like the rest.

You knew something was up with Lee Evans other than just the emergence of Steve Johnson in Buffalo.  He was their guy for a while, then they're suddenly willing to part with him?  It's rarely that easy. 

Huff and Spears were both basically first round busts and we didn't give them big contracts.  I think we were just testing whether they were good after all and just hindered in Oakland and Dallas.  Nah, just not great players.

Frank Walker should've  never had any expectations or much playing time.  Scott Mitchell was well known to be the beneficiary of Herman Moore, Jonnie Morton, and Barry Sanders in Detroit and not anything special himself.  LJ Smith had some success in routes down the seam in Philly but, again, if they're suddenly willing to part with him there's likely a reason, and there was.  Injuries/bad hands.  Donte Stallworth, I think, had some ability for big plays but we only tried it once all year, did 4 end arounds, and that was it.  He was coming back to football so you temper your expectations.

Grbac had big passing numbers in KC; it seemed like if you added that to our 2000 defense, we'd win about 5 straight Super Bowls.  Running with Jason Brookings, Moe Williams, and Terry Allen was ok but certainly not Jamal Lewis, the defense wasn't as dominant, and nobody's putting up big numbers with the likes of Travis Taylor, Patrick Johnson, and an injured Stokley.

Posted Image

#12 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

In my mind Elvis has always been the biggest bust. It was painful to watch. But I have to agree with the op. Evans came with so much promise, hardly played and was responsible for the worst play in Ravens history. Makes me cringe to think about it. argggghhhh!!!

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#13 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

It tells how good are front office is. Not catastrophically huge FA busts. If lee evans was truly are biggest FA mistake, the ravens are magic.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#14 rezarxt

rezarxt

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Frank Walker. Name still gives me nightmares.
Posted Image

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

This.  If these are the worst acquisitions we've had, we're doing pretty well.  Most were low dollar, 1 year pacts that just didn't work out.  Only a few were truly bad contracts that hurt for a couple of years.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#16 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Dominique Crapworth should be #1. Considering the size of his salary.

#17 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Frank Walker. Name still gives me nightmares.

And yet he lasted two years.
15fqib6.jpg

#18 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,543 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

And TJ Houshmandzadeh was a far bigger bust than Stallworth. We actually had expectations for TJ
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#19 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Foxworth should be #1 imo. Sure Lee Evans cost us the AFC championship game, but Foxworth cost us a lot of money and did jack.

And then Evans would be #2, Grbac would be #3 for me, and then Mitchell.

Still extremely disappointed in Huff. Thought he could at least somewhat replace Reed. I was very wrong. lol. And i'm not really sure why LJ Smith is so high. He only signed the small 1 year, 1.5 million, and wasn't expected to start. I didn't really expect him to produce tbh.

Edited by bauer77, 11 January 2014 - 05:20 PM.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#20 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Anyone remember Keydrick Vincent??? I would take down guys like Frank Walker and LJ Smith because these were basically guys who needed to compete for a roster spot not guys who were expected to start for multiple years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users