Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TonyTone1192

Biggest Loss From Our SB Roster

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you feel that we missed the most in 2013?

• Ray Lewis
    • Ed Reed
    • Bernard Pollard
    • Dannell Ellerbe
    • Paul Kruger
    • Matt Birk
    • Anquan Boldin
    • Dennis Pitta (14 games)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

240 posts in this topic

With a complete season after our SB run I honestly don't think that we performed bad (besides our Run game, it was pathetic!) 

After all that we lost from our 2012 team, we definitely took a few hits, which showed on the field this season.

We lost: our general Ray Lewis, best FS to ever play the game in Reed, an upcoming LB in Ellerbe, a productive pass rusher entering his prime in Kruger, our hammer/enforcer in Pollard, Glue to our O-line in Birk, Big time receiver in Boldin. I'll even add Pitta to the list, out for 14 games, I'll consider that the entire season. 

I know that I'm going to take some heat for this(I took a lot earlier this season lol) but IMHO our biggest loss was our General Ray. I'm almost certain that you guys read the post or listened to the press conference where Ozzie and Harbaugh stated that if we were to get off of the field late in the game on a few occasions then we'd be in the post season. Our defense didn't perform lousy at all this season, except for in clutch moments. Ozzie even stated that we lacked that leadership presence on defense to get off of the field when it mattered most. I'm not stating AT ALL that if we had Lewis we would've gotten off of the field on EVERY late game situation (against GB, Chi, Cle & Pit) but I'm almost certain that AT LEAST one of the four we would've come up big. One more regular season win this year is the difference between 6 appearances in a row rather than an earlier off-season then we're accustomed to.

Lewis was great and all, but last year he was almost at the point where his biggest contribution was in pre-game speeches. On the field, especially before going down against Dallas, he was a liability.

It was time. That being said, I voted for Boldin. I'm sure he would have been open on a lot of those plays that ended up in interceptions.

I actually voted for Ray. His leadership and just the power he exuded was definitely missed. He was the best.

Birk and Boldin wouldv'e both been 1A.

Birk's line calls and D recognition obviously were solely missed and the loss of the 3rd down chain mover  is causing us now to have to look at WR in the draft. Thank God the draft is deep at this position.

Lewis was great and all, but last year he was almost at the point where his biggest contribution was in pre-game speeches. On the field, especially before going down against Dallas, he was a liability.

It was time. That being said, I voted for Boldin. I'm sure he would have been open on a lot of those plays that ended up in interceptions.

That's understood.. If I had to pick my #2 it would've been Pitta, for that same exact reason.

I'm almost certain that Boldin was traded in hopes that Pitta would've proved to the league that he's a top 3 TE (behind Graham and a healthy Gronk)

Three for me Birk Boldin Pitta , I think we could have ended the season differently wih those three guys. I definitely underestimated the value of an experienced center til this year.

That's understood.. If I had to pick my #2 it would've been Pitta, for that same exact reason.

I'm almost certain that Boldin was traded in hopes that Pitta would've proved to the league that he's a top 3 TE (behind Graham and a healthy Gronk)

Agreed, and a great thing about Boldin was that he was more of a tight end than Pitta. Not taking anything away from the latter's contributions to this team, but he was more of a receiver. Boldin was physical. I miss that.

With a complete season after our SB run I honestly don't think that we performed bad (besides our Run game, it was pathetic!) 

After all that we lost from our 2012 team, we definitely took a few hits, which showed on the field this season.

We lost: our general Ray Lewis, best FS to ever play the game in Reed, an upcoming LB in Ellerbe, a productive pass rusher entering his prime in Kruger, our hammer/enforcer in Pollard, Glue to our O-line in Birk, Big time receiver in Boldin. I'll even add Pitta to the list, out for 14 games, I'll consider that the entire season. 

I know that I'm going to take some heat for this(I took a lot earlier this season lol) but IMHO our biggest lost was our General Ray. I'm almost certain that you guys read the post or listened to the press conference where Ozzie and Harbaugh stated that if we were to get off of the field late in the game on a few occasions then we'd be in the post season. Our defense didn't perform lousy at all this season, except for in clutch moments. Ozzie even stated that we lacked that leadership presence on defense to get off of the field when it mattered most. I'm not stating AT ALL that if we had Lewis we would've gotten off of the field on EVERY late game situation (against GB, Chi, Cle & Pit) but I'm almost certain that AT LEAST one of the four we would've come up big. One more regular season win this year is the difference between 6 appearances in a row rather than an earlier off-season then we're accustomed to.

I actually voted for Ray. His leadership and just the power he exuded was definitely missed. He was the best.

Birk and Boldin wouldv'e both been 1A.

Birk's line calls and D recognition obviously were solely missed and the loss of the 3rd down chain mover  is causing us now to have to look at WR in the draft. Thank God the draft is deep at this position.

Yup! Making this post, I realized that Birk's impact was ASTRONOMICAL!!! Our o-line, as well as Gino looked confused ALL season. Part of our porous run game.

Three for me Birk Bolding Pitta , I think we could have end the season differently wih those three guys. I definitely underestimated the value of an experienced center til this year.

Yup! Silly ol me thought that Gino would come in and pick up right where Birk left off  :th_shame: 

Making this post, I realized that Birk's impact was ASTRONOMICAL!!! Our o-line, as well as Gino looked confused ALL season. Part of our porous run game.

Went with Birk too. I think his impact on the line was the most glaring hole on the team. Couldn't run or pass protect which sunk the offense from the get go.

We Left Our Heart in San Francisco

A Healthy Pitta is certainly an asset to the Ravens but never bought into the hype that he was the difference maker.

Granting that he couldn't be 100% after he returned to the field, he certainly was not dominant.

Like Pitta and think he should be retained, but would exchange him in a heartbeat for the offensive heart of the Raven's currently beating in San Francisco. 

I don't think Oz will sign him. Why would he when he wouldn't even pay the contract of a more valuable receiver?

We Left Our Heart in San Francisco

A Healthy Pitta is certainly an asset to the Ravens but never bought into the hype that he was the difference maker.

Granting that he couldn't be 100% after he returned to the field, he certainly was not dominant.

Like Pitta and think he should be retained, but would exchange him in a heartbeat for the offensive heart of the Raven's currently beating in San Francisco. 

I don't think Oz will sign him. Why would he when he wouldn't even pay the contract of a more valuable receiver?

Missing the entire preseason and 14 regular season games, you're not completely in game shape. Especially when your competition has been playing for the entire season, it's like trying to play catch up. 

So you're perfectly fine with letting a top 5 TE go for... Dickson????

Ray's absence took a huge chunk away from the team's spirit.  He has and will always be considered the leader of the Ravens throughout his tenure.  Birk's knowledge of reading defenses and holding the OL together was desperately missed last season.  Boldin was missed due to his obvious fortitude at his position being a hard-nosed physical receiver who fought tooth & nail for the ball.  Pitta left a serious hole in our offense as everyone over-depended on him to be Joe's man/blanket.  

All in all, the four players I mentioned have all been missed to equal degrees.  But, you know how opinions go....

No offense but I don't even know how it's possible for someone to look at this team, the offense, and specifically the offensive line and even think that Ray was the biggest loss.

News flash! Ray Lewis doesn't play center, guard, or tackle!

Birk and maybe Boldin or a healthy Pitta are the only ones that could have made a difference. 

Missing the entire preseason and 14 regular season games, you're not completely in game shape. Especially when your competition has been playing for the entire season, it's like trying to play catch up. 

So you're perfectly fine with letting a top 5 TE go for... Dickson????

I don't think Oz will pay Pitta Fair Market Value.  My belief is that they intend to draft a big athletic tight end as the Receiver everyone is talking about.

You know the reason Oz likes to trade down don't you?  It's because he values additional picks more than his own expertise to pick the right guy. 

Oz won't be able to trade down and acquire the receiver he believes he needs though

Has to be Birk.  Once he got that shoulder (or was it knee) taken care of after the 2011 season he was rock solid and went toe to toe with Wilfork in round 2 and held the line like a champ when the whole world knew Belichick was going to send him after him on the line.

Our offensive line this year was one of the worst combined blocking lines (in terms of both pass and run) that I've ever seen with my own two eyes.

Voted Boldin, he brought a toughness to the offense that obviously wasn't there all season.  I watch Niners games just to see him get in defenders faces sometimes.  This team missed that kind of fire this year.

I don't think Oz will pay Pitta Fair Market Value.  My belief is that they intend to draft a big athletic tight end as the Receiver everyone is talking about.

You know the reason Oz likes to trade down don't you?  It's because he values additional picks more than his own expertise to pick the right guy. 

Oz won't be able to trade down and acquire the receiver he believes he needs though

We are short two draft picks.

Can I say
"Ray Birkbolden "

On field I think we have done just fine with out Ray.
I think as a coach, teacher, leader, mentor, I feel we have really missed him.

On field Birk and Bolden absence is impossible to argue.

With me it is not even close....Ray Lewis!  I still miss that cat!  Damn!  lol!

#Mili

From a playing viewpoint, I'd say Boldin and Birk due to our lack of production on offense. 

But I'd also have to mention Lewis, Pollard and Boldin from the point of view of leadership and motivation.  A lot of times people like to dismiss leadership and motivation, but at times this season it looked like we lacked passion.  The fact that C. Brown was listening to one of Ray's speeches on his ipad before a game "trying to get pumped up" kind of speaks to that fact.  Sometimes I wonder how much better our receivers would have been with Boldin's tutelage for a season as leadership comes in more than just one form.  Several of our departed veterans were great teachers too.

Birk & Q . Huge losses that cost us at least 2 games this year . We would have been 10-6 instead of 8-8 this year and in the playoffs with them on the roster in my opinion .

We are short two draft picks.

With the loss / purge of all the starters last year, a light draft was the last thing the Ravens needed.  You never know when a 4th or 5th round draft pick is going to hit for the winner.

Just additional evidence of what really needs to be done.

the defense looked to be improved alot better overall except a few drives in the 4th.

the unit that took the biggest hit was the offense and thus my pick comes from that side.

when you look at brown actually picking up more TDs  and some of the yards replacing boldin id say that wasent the issue.

that o-line i think is more scheme related with also injuries and players playing injured.

i remember everyone calling for birk head prior to the sb season and we might have been better if he was still around but im not sure how much.

id say missing pitta hurt us the most.

he was flacco security blanket and after the sb season he was on everybody radar and thus teams would had to account for him.

i would have expect him to open up the offense in the passing game and made it easier to run if teams had to account for him.

someone else said in another thread said the blocking seemed to improved at the end of the season and id say a small part of it was because of the treath of pitta.

i wonder why leach wasent an option btw.

technicially he is still on the team but hardly played.

i think if we ran behind him alot more we would have more success.

What a great question! From a leadership standpoint its a no brainer - we miss Ray the most. From an impact on the field standpoint, its close between Ray and Q but I'd still give an edge to Ray. When folks like Ray, Q, Ed and Matt Birk leave, it makes you appreciate their talent that much more. 

As it was evident that this team lacks leadership, I was going to go with Ray. But instead, I said Birk because our offensive line could of used a veteran like him.

Birk and there's really no argument.

Yeah, it's close for me between Pitta and Matt, but if you look at overall impact it has to be Birk. Our O line was pitiful and was probably the source of most offensive issues. And even though his physical skills had diminished he was the consummate qb of the line.

I was torn between Birk and Ray. I chose Birk.

Was surprised to see that Birk is the consensus so far.

I was torn between Birk and Ray. I chose Birk.

Was surprised to see that Birk is the consensus so far.

Shows you what people think of the job the OLine did this year. Now lets just hope they can fix this preferably with a veteran.