Schedule      Roster     

Photo

Biggest Loss From Our SB Roster

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

Poll: Biggest Loss From Our SB Roster (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you feel that we missed the most in 2013?

1. Voted Ray Lewis (25 votes [16.03%])

Percentage of vote: 16.03%

2. Ed Reed (1 votes [0.64%])

Percentage of vote: 0.64%

3. Bernard Pollard (1 votes [0.64%])

4. Dannell Ellerbe (1 votes [0.64%])

5. Paul Kruger (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Matt Birk (63 votes [40.38%])

Percentage of vote: 40.38%

7. Anquan Boldin (55 votes [35.26%])

Percentage of vote: 35.26%

8. Dennis Pitta (14 games) (10 votes [6.41%])

Percentage of vote: 6.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

With a complete season after our SB run I honestly don't think that we performed bad (besides our Run game, it was pathetic!) 

After all that we lost from our 2012 team, we definitely took a few hits, which showed on the field this season.

We lost: our general Ray Lewis, best FS to ever play the game in Reed, an upcoming LB in Ellerbe, a productive pass rusher entering his prime in Kruger, our hammer/enforcer in Pollard, Glue to our O-line in Birk, Big time receiver in Boldin. I'll even add Pitta to the list, out for 14 games, I'll consider that the entire season. 

I know that I'm going to take some heat for this(I took a lot earlier this season lol) but IMHO our biggest loss was our General Ray. I'm almost certain that you guys read the post or listened to the press conference where Ozzie and Harbaugh stated that if we were to get off of the field late in the game on a few occasions then we'd be in the post season. Our defense didn't perform lousy at all this season, except for in clutch moments. Ozzie even stated that we lacked that leadership presence on defense to get off of the field when it mattered most. I'm not stating AT ALL that if we had Lewis we would've gotten off of the field on EVERY late game situation (against GB, Chi, Cle & Pit) but I'm almost certain that AT LEAST one of the four we would've come up big. One more regular season win this year is the difference between 6 appearances in a row rather than an earlier off-season then we're accustomed to.

Edited by Grapple Raven, 10 January 2014 - 10:43 PM.
Fixed the title for ya!

bleed P U R P L E!

#2 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Lewis was great and all, but last year he was almost at the point where his biggest contribution was in pre-game speeches. On the field, especially before going down against Dallas, he was a liability.

It was time. That being said, I voted for Boldin. I'm sure he would have been open on a lot of those plays that ended up in interceptions.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#3 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

I actually voted for Ray. His leadership and just the power he exuded was definitely missed. He was the best.

Birk and Boldin wouldv'e both been 1A.

Birk's line calls and D recognition obviously were solely missed and the loss of the 3rd down chain mover  is causing us now to have to look at WR in the draft. Thank God the draft is deep at this position.

#4 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Lewis was great and all, but last year he was almost at the point where his biggest contribution was in pre-game speeches. On the field, especially before going down against Dallas, he was a liability.

It was time. That being said, I voted for Boldin. I'm sure he would have been open on a lot of those plays that ended up in interceptions.

That's understood.. If I had to pick my #2 it would've been Pitta, for that same exact reason.

I'm almost certain that Boldin was traded in hopes that Pitta would've proved to the league that he's a top 3 TE (behind Graham and a healthy Gronk)

bleed P U R P L E!

#5 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Three for me Birk Boldin Pitta , I think we could have ended the season differently wih those three guys. I definitely underestimated the value of an experienced center til this year.

Edited by Jokerraven, 10 January 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#6 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,954 posts

That's understood.. If I had to pick my #2 it would've been Pitta, for that same exact reason.

I'm almost certain that Boldin was traded in hopes that Pitta would've proved to the league that he's a top 3 TE (behind Graham and a healthy Gronk)

Agreed, and a great thing about Boldin was that he was more of a tight end than Pitta. Not taking anything away from the latter's contributions to this team, but he was more of a receiver. Boldin was physical. I miss that.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#7 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

With a complete season after our SB run I honestly don't think that we performed bad (besides our Run game, it was pathetic!) 

After all that we lost from our 2012 team, we definitely took a few hits, which showed on the field this season.

We lost: our general Ray Lewis, best FS to ever play the game in Reed, an upcoming LB in Ellerbe, a productive pass rusher entering his prime in Kruger, our hammer/enforcer in Pollard, Glue to our O-line in Birk, Big time receiver in Boldin. I'll even add Pitta to the list, out for 14 games, I'll consider that the entire season. 

I know that I'm going to take some heat for this(I took a lot earlier this season lol) but IMHO our biggest lost was our General Ray. I'm almost certain that you guys read the post or listened to the press conference where Ozzie and Harbaugh stated that if we were to get off of the field late in the game on a few occasions then we'd be in the post season. Our defense didn't perform lousy at all this season, except for in clutch moments. Ozzie even stated that we lacked that leadership presence on defense to get off of the field when it mattered most. I'm not stating AT ALL that if we had Lewis we would've gotten off of the field on EVERY late game situation (against GB, Chi, Cle & Pit) but I'm almost certain that AT LEAST one of the four we would've come up big. One more regular season win this year is the difference between 6 appearances in a row rather than an earlier off-season then we're accustomed to.

I actually voted for Ray. His leadership and just the power he exuded was definitely missed. He was the best.

Birk and Boldin wouldv'e both been 1A.

Birk's line calls and D recognition obviously were solely missed and the loss of the 3rd down chain mover  is causing us now to have to look at WR in the draft. Thank God the draft is deep at this position.

Yup! Making this post, I realized that Birk's impact was ASTRONOMICAL!!! Our o-line, as well as Gino looked confused ALL season. Part of our porous run game.

bleed P U R P L E!

#8 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Three for me Birk Bolding Pitta , I think we could have end the season differently wih those three guys. I definitely underestimated the value of an experienced center til this year.

Yup! Silly ol me thought that Gino would come in and pick up right where Birk left off  :th_shame: 

Making this post, I realized that Birk's impact was ASTRONOMICAL!!! Our o-line, as well as Gino looked confused ALL season. Part of our porous run game.

bleed P U R P L E!

#9 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Went with Birk too. I think his impact on the line was the most glaring hole on the team. Couldn't run or pass protect which sunk the offense from the get go.

Posted Image

#10 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Birk and there's really no argument.

#11 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

We Left Our Heart in San Francisco

A Healthy Pitta is certainly an asset to the Ravens but never bought into the hype that he was the difference maker.

Granting that he couldn't be 100% after he returned to the field, he certainly was not dominant.

Like Pitta and think he should be retained, but would exchange him in a heartbeat for the offensive heart of the Raven's currently beating in San Francisco. 

I don't think Oz will sign him. Why would he when he wouldn't even pay the contract of a more valuable receiver?

John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#12 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

We Left Our Heart in San Francisco

A Healthy Pitta is certainly an asset to the Ravens but never bought into the hype that he was the difference maker.

Granting that he couldn't be 100% after he returned to the field, he certainly was not dominant.

Like Pitta and think he should be retained, but would exchange him in a heartbeat for the offensive heart of the Raven's currently beating in San Francisco. 

I don't think Oz will sign him. Why would he when he wouldn't even pay the contract of a more valuable receiver?

Missing the entire preseason and 14 regular season games, you're not completely in game shape. Especially when your competition has been playing for the entire season, it's like trying to play catch up. 

So you're perfectly fine with letting a top 5 TE go for... Dickson????

bleed P U R P L E!

#13 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Birk

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

I guess we can all agree Crush is the best then lol

Twitter

#14 Jillester

Jillester

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Ray's absence took a huge chunk away from the team's spirit.  He has and will always be considered the leader of the Ravens throughout his tenure.  Birk's knowledge of reading defenses and holding the OL together was desperately missed last season.  Boldin was missed due to his obvious fortitude at his position being a hard-nosed physical receiver who fought tooth & nail for the ball.  Pitta left a serious hole in our offense as everyone over-depended on him to be Joe's man/blanket.  

All in all, the four players I mentioned have all been missed to equal degrees.  But, you know how opinions go....

That which does not kill me... will be the basis for my revenge.

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,563 posts

No offense but I don't even know how it's possible for someone to look at this team, the offense, and specifically the offensive line and even think that Ray was the biggest loss.

News flash! Ray Lewis doesn't play center, guard, or tackle!

Birk and maybe Boldin or a healthy Pitta are the only ones that could have made a difference. 

#16 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Missing the entire preseason and 14 regular season games, you're not completely in game shape. Especially when your competition has been playing for the entire season, it's like trying to play catch up. 

So you're perfectly fine with letting a top 5 TE go for... Dickson????

I don't think Oz will pay Pitta Fair Market Value.  My belief is that they intend to draft a big athletic tight end as the Receiver everyone is talking about.

You know the reason Oz likes to trade down don't you?  It's because he values additional picks more than his own expertise to pick the right guy. 

Oz won't be able to trade down and acquire the receiver he believes he needs though

John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#17 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Has to be Birk.  Once he got that shoulder (or was it knee) taken care of after the 2011 season he was rock solid and went toe to toe with Wilfork in round 2 and held the line like a champ when the whole world knew Belichick was going to send him after him on the line.

Our offensive line this year was one of the worst combined blocking lines (in terms of both pass and run) that I've ever seen with my own two eyes.

#18 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Voted Boldin, he brought a toughness to the offense that obviously wasn't there all season.  I watch Niners games just to see him get in defenders faces sometimes.  This team missed that kind of fire this year.

#19 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

I don't think Oz will pay Pitta Fair Market Value.  My belief is that they intend to draft a big athletic tight end as the Receiver everyone is talking about.

You know the reason Oz likes to trade down don't you?  It's because he values additional picks more than his own expertise to pick the right guy. 

Oz won't be able to trade down and acquire the receiver he believes he needs though

We are short two draft picks.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#20 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

Can I say
"Ray Birkbolden "

On field I think we have done just fine with out Ray.
I think as a coach, teacher, leader, mentor, I feel we have really missed him.

On field Birk and Bolden absence is impossible to argue.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users