40 replies to this topic

#1 stm85

stm85

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Everyone on this board seems pretty resigned to losing him in FA but are we sure about this? He should command a pretty nicely sized contract but I'd also imagine that he's gonna be a massive priority for Ozzie. He was easily our best DL this year and could be a huge part of our defense going forward. There are a couple of options to keep him onboard. I like the idea of offering a market value contract, but with a large portion of the cap hit down the road, after Ngata's contract comes off the books. I know Flacco's cap hit rises astronomically at this time but his deal was always meant to be restructured in an extension. With Suggs, Ngata, and potentially Rice off of the books in the next 2 years we could manage to keep Jones as well as work out extensions for Torrey and Jimmy. Art is just a monster and I can't stand the though of losing him because of massive contracts for declining veterans and I am holding out hope that Ozzie will make it work. Thoughts?

"It's not the critic who counts. It's the man who's in the arena whose face is covered with blood, sweat and dust. He will never be with those poor and timid souls that know neither victory nor defeat."

- John Harbaugh 

andre.jpg

Proud Owner of the Andre Cried While Watching Jumanji's

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

He's gone.  Some team is going to come in and give him a nice sized contract, and it seems that we're confident that Tyson, Williams, and Lewis-Moore will step up.  While he was a good player, there are bigger priorities in Torrey and Jimmy for the future in addition to Monroe and Pitta.  The Ravens have a pretty good track record of developing defensive lineman.  Art is a guy that I'll really miss because he's a good player and a good guy, but he's the odd man out and he honestly deserves the contract he's going to get from someone else.

#3 stm85

stm85

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

He's gone.  Some team is going to come in and give him a nice sized contract, and it seems that we're confident that Tyson, Williams, and Lewis-Moore will step up.  While he was a good player, there are bigger priorities in Torrey and Jimmy for the future in addition to Monroe and Pitta.  The Ravens have a pretty good track record of developing defensive lineman.  Art is a guy that I'll really miss because he's a good player and a good guy, but he's the odd man out and he honestly deserves the contract he's going to get from someone else.

I agree with what you are saying here but an important question that we have to ask is who is more important for our future, Ngata or Jones? If we could work out a deal like I described above it would mean not re-signing Ngata and probably cutting him next year but also keeping Jones. I like Tyson but he isn't nearly the same caliber of player. None of the guys you mentioned bring Jones' well rounded game; they are all run stuffers. I'm worried that if he walks we won't have any pass rush from our DL.

"It's not the critic who counts. It's the man who's in the arena whose face is covered with blood, sweat and dust. He will never be with those poor and timid souls that know neither victory nor defeat."

- John Harbaugh 

andre.jpg

#4 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

I like Jones but in my opinion I think the ravens will be fine with Tyson,Williams, and Lewis  -Moore, also cant forget Mcphee. The Ravens probably have the best defensive line coach in the league  and I strongly believe he will be able  coach up these guys well enough to take Jones place..

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

I agree with what you are saying here but an important question that we have to ask is who is more important for our future, Ngata or Jones? If we could work out a deal like I described above it would mean not re-signing Ngata and probably cutting him next year but also keeping Jones. I like Tyson but he isn't nearly the same caliber of player. None of the guys you mentioned bring Jones' well rounded game; they are all run stuffers. I'm worried that if he walks we won't have any pass rush from our DL.

It sounds nice in theory, but that money that is coming off the books from Ngata and company is going to be used for the next wave in Monroe, Pitta, Torrey, Jimmy, etc.  It's certainly possible that they try to do as you're describing, but I don't think he's a priority.  Run stuffers or not, the guys I mentioned have performed very well and they are clearly confident in their abilities to step up.  There's also the possibility of getting a much cheaper option through the draft.

While it's unfortunate to not have Arthur Jones, the Ravens have done very well at either finding cheap, quality free agents or developing late round picks.  They save the big contracts for the elite guys like Ngata, even if he isn't so elite now.

#6 I-70WestRaven

I-70WestRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

I know some other team is going to give him a huge pay day. I love Art and would love to keep him but we would have to cut too many players to pay him what he will get. Gonna miss him, but it has to be, it's the "nature of the beast."
The Baltimore Ravens! 'Nuff said!!

#7 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

I just hope he doesn't end up on a team in our division or the Texans.  Would love to have him back, but I'm just hoping he keeps up his play so we can hopefully get a 3rd round comp for him.

#8 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

he gone

#9 stm85

stm85

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Guys, I know that it is more likely than not that Jones is gone. If someone overpays for him then the right decision will be to let him walk (just like Ellerbe). I was hoping to get a discussion going about some options to keep him around and some creative strategies to do so. I still think Ozzie will try to make it work; whether he is successful or not we will see. I do think that keeping him could actually help our cap flexibility in the long term, as building our DL around him will be cheaper than building it around Ngata, who is more expensive and declining.

- John Harbaugh 

andre.jpg

#10 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Guys, I know that it is more likely than not that Jones is gone. If someone overpays for him then the right decision will be to let him walk (just like Ellerbe). I was hoping to get a discussion going about some options to keep him around and some creative strategies to do so. I still think Ozzie will try to make it work; whether he is successful or not we will see. I do think that keeping him could actually help our cap flexibility in the long term, as building our DL around him will be cheaper than building it around Ngata, who is more expensive and declining.

That's the issue. There's pretty much no feasible way to retain him unless someone like Monroe or something is signed by someone else.

#11 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Gone. Hopefully overpaid by a division rival.

#12 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

Teams with franchise QBs can only afford about 8 franchise players at most under the salary cap. That's why we play musical teams each year with the veteran players. It's critical to maintain financial discipline and Ozzie and Pat Moriority do a good but thankless job to keep the Ravens out of Salary Cap Hell.

Edited by Bruce_Almty, 10 January 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#13 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

It sounds nice in theory, but that money that is coming off the books from Ngata and company is going to be used for the next wave in Monroe, Pitta, Torrey, Jimmy, etc. It's certainly possible that they try to do as you're describing, but I don't think he's a priority. Run stuffers or not, the guys I mentioned have performed very well and they are clearly confident in their abilities to step up. There's also the possibility of getting a much cheaper option through the draft.

While it's unfortunate to not have Arthur Jones, the Ravens have done very well at either finding cheap, quality free agents or developing late round picks. They save the big contracts for the elite guys like Ngata, even if he isn't so elite now.

Yup, if we dont do something bout Suggs, Ngata & Webb we wont have the room for Jimmy &Torrey. Arthur Jones will get that Kruger money from another team....

Edited by PurpleCityLights, 10 January 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#14 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Whaaaat?!!!  I hope he goes somewhere in the NFC so we don't have to see but every 4 years. Dude's a beast.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#15 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

I just hope he doesn't end up on a team in our division or the Texans.  Would love to have him back, but I'm just hoping he keeps up his play so we can hopefully get a 3rd round comp for him.

I've got a feeling a team with some cap space like the Patriots wouldn't mind getting their hands on him, unfortunately. 

#16 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

So he can wreck the interior of our Oline? 

Hopefully you meant, so it would cripple the team cap wise.

#17 Jillester

Jillester

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

I've got a feeling a team with some cap space like the Patriots wouldn't mind getting their hands on him, unfortunately. 

Would that make the Patriots the first team in the NFL to have brothers on the same roster?

That which does not kill me... will be the basis for my revenge.

#18 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

Art Jones had a breakout year, but this year is packed with serviceable Defensive Linemen. Ozzie will and should only sign him for the right price. Look at how Paul Kruger performed after the Browns gave him a big contract. Art Jones has already played beyond his 5th round status and contract, so I say he deserves to get the big money. As for us, I say we have plenty of options to reload our D-Line with the available free agents and draftees.

#19 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,439 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

I'm actually not too worried about losing him. I'd love to have him back but it wouldn't be devastating IMO.

He deserves a big contract for all the work he's put in. Each year he's consistently improved and he's going to cash in this offseason. For some reason I can't see longevity out of him. I wish him the best but I really hope and know we won't over pay for him.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#20 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

So he can wreck the interior of our Oline? 

Hopefully you meant, so it would cripple the team cap wise.

He's good, but he's no pro-bowl player. He'll be paid more than he's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users