Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stm85

Arthur Jones

41 posts in this topic

Everyone on this board seems pretty resigned to losing him in FA but are we sure about this? He should command a pretty nicely sized contract but I'd also imagine that he's gonna be a massive priority for Ozzie. He was easily our best DL this year and could be a huge part of our defense going forward. There are a couple of options to keep him onboard. I like the idea of offering a market value contract, but with a large portion of the cap hit down the road, after Ngata's contract comes off the books. I know Flacco's cap hit rises astronomically at this time but his deal was always meant to be restructured in an extension. With Suggs, Ngata, and potentially Rice off of the books in the next 2 years we could manage to keep Jones as well as work out extensions for Torrey and Jimmy. Art is just a monster and I can't stand the though of losing him because of massive contracts for declining veterans and I am holding out hope that Ozzie will make it work. Thoughts?

He's gone.  Some team is going to come in and give him a nice sized contract, and it seems that we're confident that Tyson, Williams, and Lewis-Moore will step up.  While he was a good player, there are bigger priorities in Torrey and Jimmy for the future in addition to Monroe and Pitta.  The Ravens have a pretty good track record of developing defensive lineman.  Art is a guy that I'll really miss because he's a good player and a good guy, but he's the odd man out and he honestly deserves the contract he's going to get from someone else.

He's gone.  Some team is going to come in and give him a nice sized contract, and it seems that we're confident that Tyson, Williams, and Lewis-Moore will step up.  While he was a good player, there are bigger priorities in Torrey and Jimmy for the future in addition to Monroe and Pitta.  The Ravens have a pretty good track record of developing defensive lineman.  Art is a guy that I'll really miss because he's a good player and a good guy, but he's the odd man out and he honestly deserves the contract he's going to get from someone else.

I agree with what you are saying here but an important question that we have to ask is who is more important for our future, Ngata or Jones? If we could work out a deal like I described above it would mean not re-signing Ngata and probably cutting him next year but also keeping Jones. I like Tyson but he isn't nearly the same caliber of player. None of the guys you mentioned bring Jones' well rounded game; they are all run stuffers. I'm worried that if he walks we won't have any pass rush from our DL.

I like Jones but in my opinion I think the ravens will be fine with Tyson,Williams, and Lewis  -Moore, also cant forget Mcphee. The Ravens probably have the best defensive line coach in the league  and I strongly believe he will be able  coach up these guys well enough to take Jones place..

I agree with what you are saying here but an important question that we have to ask is who is more important for our future, Ngata or Jones? If we could work out a deal like I described above it would mean not re-signing Ngata and probably cutting him next year but also keeping Jones. I like Tyson but he isn't nearly the same caliber of player. None of the guys you mentioned bring Jones' well rounded game; they are all run stuffers. I'm worried that if he walks we won't have any pass rush from our DL.

It sounds nice in theory, but that money that is coming off the books from Ngata and company is going to be used for the next wave in Monroe, Pitta, Torrey, Jimmy, etc.  It's certainly possible that they try to do as you're describing, but I don't think he's a priority.  Run stuffers or not, the guys I mentioned have performed very well and they are clearly confident in their abilities to step up.  There's also the possibility of getting a much cheaper option through the draft.

While it's unfortunate to not have Arthur Jones, the Ravens have done very well at either finding cheap, quality free agents or developing late round picks.  They save the big contracts for the elite guys like Ngata, even if he isn't so elite now.

I know some other team is going to give him a huge pay day. I love Art and would love to keep him but we would have to cut too many players to pay him what he will get. Gonna miss him, but it has to be, it's the "nature of the beast."

I just hope he doesn't end up on a team in our division or the Texans.  Would love to have him back, but I'm just hoping he keeps up his play so we can hopefully get a 3rd round comp for him.

Guys, I know that it is more likely than not that Jones is gone. If someone overpays for him then the right decision will be to let him walk (just like Ellerbe). I was hoping to get a discussion going about some options to keep him around and some creative strategies to do so. I still think Ozzie will try to make it work; whether he is successful or not we will see. I do think that keeping him could actually help our cap flexibility in the long term, as building our DL around him will be cheaper than building it around Ngata, who is more expensive and declining.

Guys, I know that it is more likely than not that Jones is gone. If someone overpays for him then the right decision will be to let him walk (just like Ellerbe). I was hoping to get a discussion going about some options to keep him around and some creative strategies to do so. I still think Ozzie will try to make it work; whether he is successful or not we will see. I do think that keeping him could actually help our cap flexibility in the long term, as building our DL around him will be cheaper than building it around Ngata, who is more expensive and declining.

That's the issue. There's pretty much no feasible way to retain him unless someone like Monroe or something is signed by someone else.

Teams with franchise QBs can only afford about 8 franchise players at most under the salary cap. That's why we play musical teams each year with the veteran players. It's critical to maintain financial discipline and Ozzie and Pat Moriority do a good but thankless job to keep the Ravens out of Salary Cap Hell.

It sounds nice in theory, but that money that is coming off the books from Ngata and company is going to be used for the next wave in Monroe, Pitta, Torrey, Jimmy, etc. It's certainly possible that they try to do as you're describing, but I don't think he's a priority. Run stuffers or not, the guys I mentioned have performed very well and they are clearly confident in their abilities to step up. There's also the possibility of getting a much cheaper option through the draft.

While it's unfortunate to not have Arthur Jones, the Ravens have done very well at either finding cheap, quality free agents or developing late round picks. They save the big contracts for the elite guys like Ngata, even if he isn't so elite now.

Yup, if we dont do something bout Suggs, Ngata & Webb we wont have the room for Jimmy &Torrey. Arthur Jones will get that Kruger money from another team....

Gone. Hopefully overpaid by a division rival.

Whaaaat?!!!  I hope he goes somewhere in the NFC so we don't have to see but every 4 years. Dude's a beast.

I just hope he doesn't end up on a team in our division or the Texans.  Would love to have him back, but I'm just hoping he keeps up his play so we can hopefully get a 3rd round comp for him.

I've got a feeling a team with some cap space like the Patriots wouldn't mind getting their hands on him, unfortunately. 

Gone. Hopefully overpaid by a division rival.

So he can wreck the interior of our Oline? 

Hopefully you meant, so it would cripple the team cap wise.

I've got a feeling a team with some cap space like the Patriots wouldn't mind getting their hands on him, unfortunately. 

Would that make the Patriots the first team in the NFL to have brothers on the same roster?

Art Jones had a breakout year, but this year is packed with serviceable Defensive Linemen. Ozzie will and should only sign him for the right price. Look at how Paul Kruger performed after the Browns gave him a big contract. Art Jones has already played beyond his 5th round status and contract, so I say he deserves to get the big money. As for us, I say we have plenty of options to reload our D-Line with the available free agents and draftees.

I'm actually not too worried about losing him. I'd love to have him back but it wouldn't be devastating IMO.

He deserves a big contract for all the work he's put in. Each year he's consistently improved and he's going to cash in this offseason. For some reason I can't see longevity out of him. I wish him the best but I really hope and know we won't over pay for him.

So he can wreck the interior of our Oline? 

Hopefully you meant, so it would cripple the team cap wise.

He's good, but he's no pro-bowl player. He'll be paid more than he's worth.

To me it sounded like Ozzie will do everything he can to re-sign Art. And he sounds kind of confident.

At this point he's the only really good D-Lineman we have. He's disruptive, he generates really good pass rush, he can play any position there, he's a great run stuffer and he hasn't even peaked yet. Ngata is slowing down a lot and the rest is backup material. Especially outside (DE) we don't have anybody who can dominate, so losing Art would definitely hurt. We need to re-sign him.

If Jones is viewed as a possible future anchor of the DL, I believe Ozzie will do anything to keep him. Ngata, Ray Lewis, Yanda, Ed Reed were all anchors in their area of the field, every successful team needs them. Ngate appears to be somewhat on the decline so they need to seriously search of his future replacement. If Jones get away it may be years before developing that caliber of player again. 

That brings me to the reason Sugg's contract situation was hinted at the other day, the two (Suggs and Jones) may be connected or perhaps it's Suggs and Pitta, I am not sure. 

I don't know how much the signings of Huff, Stokley, Clark, and Spears cost the team but I think there goes a little of that needed cap space. 

Jones is a stud and someone you can build the d-line around. With Suggs and Ngata on the decline someone like Jones becomes that much more vital.

With that said though, there is only so much money a team can spend. Especially since Monroe is the FO's #1 priority (I would assume) and will be getting paid. Jones is defeintely the better player, but LT's are far more important.

it seems all will fall on being able to extend suggs or not.

ngata might be extended this year as wel but they can also wait till next year.

most cap will be cleared probaly by cutting mclain and leach.

my guess is that monroe will be first priority as he should and pitta will be next in line before art jones is considerd.

with kapron lewis, tyson and williams waiting in line and cody maybe the cheaper option  my guess is that jones is not the highest priority.

canty still around and mcphee could bulk up again to play the position as welll.

I'd rather have Art Jones then Sizzle. He's a stud, works hard, doesn't run his mouth and hasn't even peaked yet. Comparing him to Kruger getting overpaid is absolutely ridiculous. Kruger is a one trick pony, Art does it all. Lock him up Oz!

He's good, but he's no pro-bowl player. He'll be paid more than he's worth.

Ya I feel the same way.  He'd be a great cog to have in your interior line for another 5 years or so but I think someone is going to give him 5+ a year.

love arthur jones. i knew he was a big steal when we got him. our defensive line is so stacked im sad to see him go but the next guy up manra seems to fit here. kapron lewis, tyson, and williams will have a good battle this offseason. or we might see ngata take that position back over and cody might make a big step up. or maybe pernell mcphee will go back to the d-line. who knows, we hav so many options. we will be fine at the position. it will be a downgrade he is more replaceable at this point than pitta and monroe.

Everyone on this board seems pretty resigned to losing him in FA but are we sure about this? He should command a pretty nicely sized contract but I'd also imagine that he's gonna be a massive priority for Ozzie. He was easily our best DL this year and could be a huge part of our defense going forward. There are a couple of options to keep him onboard. I like the idea of offering a market value contract, but with a large portion of the cap hit down the road, after Ngata's contract comes off the books. I know Flacco's cap hit rises astronomically at this time but his deal was always meant to be restructured in an extension. With Suggs, Ngata, and potentially Rice off of the books in the next 2 years we could manage to keep Jones as well as work out extensions for Torrey and Jimmy. Art is just a monster and I can't stand the though of losing him because of massive contracts for declining veterans and I am holding out hope that Ozzie will make it work. Thoughts?

It would be nice to keep him but IMO he's a much better player than any of our free agents were last year, and they all got paid.  I expect him to also get an offer that's just out of our price range.

Teams with franchise QBs can only afford about 8 franchise players at most under the salary cap. That's why we play musical teams each year with the veteran players. It's critical to maintain financial discipline and Ozzie and Pat Moriority do a good but thankless job to keep the Ravens out of Salary Cap Hell.

Yep. It stings to see our beloved players walk, but we have the cap to blame for that. And the inflated paychecks that some teams have created. Art will get an offer that he would be a fool to refuse and the Ravens would be fools to match, because he is that good. With him and other players like him over the years, it isnt about "do we need them" it is about "can we afford them".