18 replies to this topic

#1 The King

The King

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

After a disappointing year as the Ravens just had it's natural, and even helpful, to focus on what went wrong. But it's still important to remember the things that went well this year, so I wanted to start this thread to commemorate the things that can give us hope for next year.

1) Elvis Dumervil is a nightmare off the edge. As a situational pass rusher he was incredibly efficient at providing pressure on the QB. Considering the bargain price we got on his contract, I would say he was the best FA signing of the offseason by any team.

2) Torrey Smith continued to improve. This season he was our first 1000 yard receiver since Derrick Mason left. He showed off his ability to run the full route tree. Although there were games where he seemed to disappear, I would put that more on a lack of help from the rest of the WR corps. I have no doubt he'll continue to be a top-20 WR in this league for years to come.

3) Marlon Brown had a record setting rookie year. He's a big bodied WR who can outmuscle DBs in the end zone. I'm excited to see how he continues to develop with another red zone threat next year in Dennis Pitta to take some of the pressure off of him. With all the hype that other physical rookie wideouts such as Keenan Allen and Deandre Hopkins got, and it was deserved for them, Brown had an effective year as well.

4) Justin Tucker doing JT things. He's our All-Pro kicker for the next decade. No chance of him shanking a 30 yarder in a big game. If you weren't jumping out of your seat to celebrate his 61 yard game winner against the lions then you're either dead inside or a Detroit fan. So basically the only option is that you're dead inside.

5) Jimmy Smith got better by leaps and bounds. I was as excited as anyone when the Ravens drafted Smith at the bottom of the first round in 2011. He's 6'2, 212 pounds and he can run a 4.4 40 and jump out of the gym. But at the beginning of this year the bust buzz was beginning to grow. Even the late game heroics in the Super Bowl weren't enough to quiet the doubters, and I'd admit that I was among them. In the second half of this season he just seemed to have the game slow down for him, and his final 10 game of the year showed the shutdown corner potential we all saw when he was drafted.

I know that this is a far from all-inclusive list, and I hope that everyone else can think of things to add on to it.

#2 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

After a disappointing year as the Ravens just had it's natural, and even helpful, to focus on what went wrong. But it's still important to remember the things that went well this year, so I wanted to start this thread to commemorate the things that can give us hope for next year.

1) Elvis Dumervil is a nightmare off the edge. As a situational pass rusher he was incredibly efficient at providing pressure on the QB. Considering the bargain price we got on his contract, I would say he was the best FA signing of the offseason by any team.

2) Torrey Smith continued to improve. This season he was our first 1000 yard receiver since Derrick Mason left. He showed off his ability to run the full route tree. Although there were games where he seemed to disappear, I would put that more on a lack of help from the rest of the WR corps. I have no doubt he'll continue to be a top-20 WR in this league for years to come.

3) Marlon Brown had a record setting rookie year. He's a big bodied WR who can outmuscle DBs in the end zone. I'm excited to see how he continues to develop with another red zone threat next year in Dennis Pitta to take some of the pressure off of him. With all the hype that other physical rookie wideouts such as Keenan Allen and Deandre Hopkins got, and it was deserved for them, Brown had an effective year as well.

4) Justin Tucker doing JT things. He's our All-Pro kicker for the next decade. No chance of him shanking a 30 yarder in a big game. If you weren't jumping out of your seat to celebrate his 61 yard game winner against the lions then you're either dead inside or a Detroit fan. So basically the only option is that you're dead inside.

5) Jimmy Smith got better by leaps and bounds. I was as excited as anyone when the Ravens drafted Smith at the bottom of the first round in 2011. He's 6'2, 212 pounds and he can run a 4.4 40 and jump out of the gym. But at the beginning of this year the bust buzz was beginning to grow. Even the late game heroics in the Super Bowl weren't enough to quiet the doubters, and I'd admit that I was among them. In the second half of this season he just seemed to have the game slow down for him, and his final 10 game of the year showed the shutdown corner potential we all saw when he was drafted.

I know that this is a far from all-inclusive list, and I hope that everyone else can think of things to add on to it.

Very nice list. At least there's a few positive fans around here.

1) Agreed. My best friend is a Broncos fan and as soon as I saw him after it was announced we got Dumervil because of the fax fiasco, he didn't want me to say a word! Lol but nonetheless, speaking of pass-rushers, I can't wait to see what John Simon brings to the table. I didn't get to watch him but I heard positive things from him.

2) Loved what I saw from Torrey. I'm curious why I didn't see more underneath, crossing, and slants from him as the season went on. Hopefully, our new OC (if we get one), should change this.

3)Marlon Brown has impressed me a lot. Would love for him to put some more muscle and have a better rapport with Flacco. Other from that, he's going to have a promising career (barring injuries) as long as he stays committed. 

4)Justin Tucker. Nuff said. 

5)I can not express enough how much I'm proud of Jimmy Smith (damn, I sound like his father lol!). Let's not forget his performance against Brandon Marshall (4 rec for 42 yds) and that goal-line stand after the penalty against him. 

6)Daryl Smith. This man needs to stay with us. HUGE steal by Ozzie to get him from Jacksonville. He provided some great leadership on the field. If only we had an offense that was at least mediocre. 

7) With him being a free agent this year, we better lock up Eugene Munroe. He needs to be our LT for the future. 

#3 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

refreshing topic. everyone wants to be so negative. allow me add a few more. 

daryl smith played lights out all year, and he should have been a pro bowler. 

arthur jones became our best defensive lineman this year, sadly he is probably going elsewhere. 

we found a possible franchise LT in monroe 

tandon doss finally found his niche, but had to take a step down due to the nfls best returner coming back from injury 

while flacco set personal records for INT's, he showed, time and time again, his ability to put this team on his back and put us in a position to win against all odds, and with just a little help from his line, and receivers, and a few key stops in the 4th quarter, we would have made the playoffs thanks to his late game heroics. i cant wait for the day that harbs lets him finally run the no huddle on a full game basis. 

the few times elam was nearthe LOS, he showed an incredible attacking ability, and when we get a true FS, its go time for him. 

arthur brown doesnt get enough attention, but the dude flies around the field, he is FAST for a MLB, and his delayed blitzing ability is phenomenal, we may have found a very unique weapon on defense with him. 

brandon williams looked very tough and physical and doesnt seem like hes going to struggle making the transition 

aaron mellette looked excellent in the preseason, and who knows he could be the real deal, we have yet to find out.

#4 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Marlon Brown shining in  his  rookie season. 

Matt Elam making plays also shining  in his rookie season.

Justin Tucker balling for the entire year.

Jimmy smith playing lights out  , Brandon Marshall banging his helmet in frustration  cause Jimmy had him on lock down.

Dennis Pitta coming back from injury and playing well showing he was healed .

The snow game against the Vikings 2 mintues  all those touchdowns.

Daryl Smith and Monroe playing like a raven there first seasons with us.

Suggs and Dumervil off the edge.

Kyle Juscyk making plays on special teams

Thanks there was allot of good sometimes it is easy to forget that.

#5 juanman7

juanman7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

Joe Flacco's stats improving in some very important areas. Look I get the 22 interceptions are bad but what people failed to realize is that in the year where our offense was at its absolute worst with Flacco on our team, he still found ways to improve his passing yards and his number of attempts and completions. This is an exciting thing to think about going into the offseason and just dreaming of what he will be able to do next season with a better o-line (hopefully) and better receiving corps (hopefully)!!

#6 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,650 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

In the wake of losing key and "inspirational" figures on defense like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and other players; the Ravens defense played considerably well with a few hickups along the way.  Justin Tucker!  Pure beast!  And Marlon Brown!  The kid really shined.

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 09 January 2014 - 11:44 PM.

@Mili

mili1.png

"Hunt!  Hunt!  Hunt!  Keep Hunting!  Until You Put'em on Your Wall!"

- Ray Lewis

#7 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

Torrey, Marlon and Doss were all bright spots for me in the passing game. I'm not sure why we stop using Doss, especially once Stokley just couldn't stay healthy. If and I think it will happen, Jacoby leaves I feel really confident in Doss returning punts for us. I like him as the #4 WR moving forward. Marlon and Torrey should have even bigger years, especially if we can add a really strong outside WR in the draft.

I thought Monroe and Yanda were bright spots despite the oline struggles. Ricky Wagner was a bright spot for me as well. I know the guy didn't play much, but he showed a lot in run blocking when he got on the field.

Upshaw was a bright spot to me. He didn't get much attention but he did a lot of the dirty work us fans loved JJ for so much. Doom obviously takes snaps away from him, but he shined this season imo. I saw signs of Ngata returning to his old self towards the end of the season which was great.

I thought the defense overall was a bright spot. We were clearly better then the Super Bowl defense, but we also clearly missed that "IT" factor late in games that both Ray and Ed provided. I thought Elam shined as a SS, put him in that role and watch the kid ball. Digg certain was a bright spot. I vote for Jimmy to be given #1 WR duties every game from now on.

A couple guys who didn't see one snap this year, but I was excited for was Frustenburg and Mellette. I thought both showed the ability to help this offense going forward. Look forward to seeing those guys next year.

I thought Art Brown showed some good signs. He's a good blitzer and good coverage guy. He still has much to learn but if Smith can return that'd help him a lot. I like what I saw from Tyson.

All in all I don't think this team is far away despite how bad things looked this year. Get the oline healthy and ready to go, add another play maker on the outside at WR and watch this team take back the NFL.

mj5v69.jpg

#8 Raven26

Raven26

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

We went 8-8 with all the went wrong I see a very bright spot from the whole team. im excited for next year.

#9 JEEPercreepermd

JEEPercreepermd

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

We went 8-8 with all the went wrong I see a very bright spot from the whole team. im excited for next year.

Agreed 100 percent. After all, the Ravens could have very well been. 12-4 had they made just a play here and there.

Hopefully this season serves as a wake up call to let them, better draft position to re-stock the cupboard with.. also, we get a 3rd place schedule next year too..
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Jimmy Smith was by far the brightest spot for our team this season.

- He erased the continuing question of whether he was a waste of a 1st round pick. 

- Played every single game this season proving he can be durable.

- All but dominated Megatron on MNF in a very impressive showing

- Went toe to toe very admirably with Aj Green yet again

He should come back even better next year with the confidence of this season. He's quietly rising to be one of the better Corners in the league, and next year the NFL will find out about it. 

#11 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Justin Tucker was a major bright spot. We have a reliable kicker perhaps for many years.

Marlon Brown showed he was a playmaker grabbing 7 TDs.

Elam showed he was a hitter which covers our SS position for the next few years.

Torrey Smith made strides.

Daryl Smith provided excellent leadership in the middle.

Jimmy Smith has became a #1 CB.

#12 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

You just about covered all of the bright spots.

Not bad for a team that supposedly was "rebuilding" right? lol 8-8 and we missed the post season by one game. 

Almost EVERYONE outside of our fan base (including some in our fan base) saw us as a team that was "rebuilding" Teams that are rebuilding usually end up with a top 10 pick.

We had a disappointing season, with some ups and downs. Barring any major injuries(Pitta, IMO, was our 2nd biggest lost last season), we're only going up from here!

bleed P U R P L E!

#13 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,650 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

And Jimmy Smith.  lol!

#Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"Hunt!  Hunt!  Hunt!  Keep Hunting!  Until You Put'em on Your Wall!"

- Ray Lewis

#14 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

#1  Tuck

#2  Daryl Smith

#3  ???

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,480 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

Bright spot: Ozzie finally grew the balls to make a splash move in season to fix a big problem.

Thanks for getting Monroe. Now sign him!

#16 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Was there a bright spot?

Wow.....not really

Gun to my head, might say Jimmy Smith seemed to make great strides.  That penalty he took deep vs the Bengals was troubling though.

The bright spot for the future is change.  This season indicated how much change is needed. Next year will illustrate it further and hopefully that change can occur so we can move forward again.

....and Daryl Smith, Overlooked his usually professional play.

Edited by Poes Crows, 10 January 2014 - 11:06 PM.

<p>John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#17 Jillester

Jillester

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

#1  Tuck

#2  Daryl Smith

#3  ???

#3  Jimmy Smith

Edited by Jillester, 10 January 2014 - 11:16 PM.

That which does not kill me... will be the basis for my revenge.

#18 redravenfan

redravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

The biggest bright spot for me this past season is being able to say the ravens are  superbowl champions. and it looks like all the forums members who posted before me , covered everything I would have said

#19 TXRavensFan

TXRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

I can get behind everything everyone has listed above. For me, though, the biggest has to be Jimmy Smith. The last play in the SB seems to have given him confidence that he carried over to this past season. I look forward to his continued progress as a shutdown corner.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users