60 replies to this topic

#1 Capitalize

Capitalize

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

I respect Ozzie and by no means am I calling him dumb. The move was a dumb.

Bernard Pollard was an enforcer and a voice on the Ravens Defense. The Defense had toughnes and their usual killer instinct.

And to get a little personal, Bernard Pollard was my favorite player because he knocks people out of games.

It was a bad move to let Pollard go for a couple reasons:

1). He is capable of anything such a knocking players out of games especially at critical times in a game.

And

2). He has the voice to be a leader in the locker room with his tough love attitude.

In order to have a great Defense you need players like that! You need killer instincts and even be willing to play dirty.

After Bernard left our defense got soft.The D lost their killer instinct and dirtyness. They were only better statistically last year thats it.

The Organization doesn't show it know but I think they are and will Regret letting Pollard go!

He could have won us 2 more games also. He could have delivered the knock out blow vs the Packers to give us the ball back in the 4th QTR and in the Patriot game he also could have kncoked Steven Ridley out of the game as well and maybe Brady! and we could have been 10-6.

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

James Ihedigbo thinks differently.

#3 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,552 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Out of all the Ravens gone this offseason, Pollard is the one I miss the least

#4 The King

The King

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

I like Pollard, but he was a liability in coverage and for all his big hits not far above average as a run stopper. And if you think a team needs to be able to play dirty to win you should go buy yourself a Hines Ward jersey.

#5 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,742 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

He could have won us 2 more games also. He could have delivered the knock out blow vs the Packers to give us the ball back in the 4th QTR and in the Patriot game he also could have kncoked Steven Ridley out of the game as well and maybe Brady! and we could have been 10-6.

I love the assumption that Pollard would have single-handedly won the team games by simply knocking fools out.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 09 January 2014 - 08:12 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#6 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

yeah, I'm actually happy he's gone, never really liked him... we had very good play at the position this year and we're set for the next... so yeah, no need for him at all

#7 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Pollard had off field issues... and on field issues too... 4 teams in 5 years... There is a reason for that too.  That, and he was penalty ridden... The guy was hot-tempered. 

117hd79.jpg

#8 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Yes, the Pollard who constantly gave up 15 yard penalties that inflated our redzone percentage by allowing poor offenses to get into the redzone.

#9 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

I respect Ozzie and by no means am I calling him dumb. The move was a dumb.

Bernard Pollard was an enforcer and a voice on the Ravens Defense. The Defense had toughnes and their usual killer instinct.

And to get a little personal, Bernard Pollard was my favorite player because he knocks people out of games.

It was a bad move to let Pollard go for a couple reasons:

1). He is capable of anything such a knocking players out of games especially at critical times in a game.

And

2). He has the voice to be a leader in the locker room with his tough love attitude.

In order to have a great Defense you need players like that! You need killer instincts and even be willing to play dirty.

After Bernard left our defense got soft.The D lost their killer instinct and dirtyness. They were only better statistically last year thats it.

The Organization doesn't show it know but I think they are and will Regret letting Pollard go!

The defense "got soft", because we lost Pollard, Reed, Lewis, Ellerbe, Kruger, Williams... etc.  And even though we picked up Dumervil, Canty, Spears, Smith, Elam, etc...  There were too many changes... It's my opinion that Pollard was not the defacto of it all.

117hd79.jpg

#10 stm85

stm85

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Gotta agree with the consensus on this topic. Losing Pollard was the least of our problems on D. Ihedigbo was arguably an upgrade actually. What we really need to worry about on defense is finding a true FS who can play the center field role and get Elam into a more in the box role. I have been a huge Elam fan since before the draft and he impressed me with solid play for a rookie playing out of position. I think he will be one of the best SS in the league in a few years, so no, cutting Pollard was not a mistake.

"It's not the critic who counts. It's the man who's in the arena whose face is covered with blood, sweat and dust. He will never be with those poor and timid souls that know neither victory nor defeat."

- John Harbaugh 

andre.jpg

Proud Owner of the Andre Cried While Watching Jumanji's

#11 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

I love the assumption that Pollard would have single-handedly won the team games by simply knocking fools out.

i love the phrasing "knocking fools out" lmao 

but cmon man, diggs played better at SS than pollard did, and was every bit as tough. ihedigbo was a straight up wrecking ball this year

#12 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Pollard was a Real Raven....so was Boldin. Tough hard hitting out of the Bart Scott mode. Coaches need to see value in players like this as opposed to Huff etc...They are type A guys that will run through a brick wall for you if you earn their respect. Unfortunally Harbaugh wussed out imo by getting rid of them as opposed to learn how to get the most out of them
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#13 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I liked Pollard, even though he was a liability in coverage. But had we kept him, we would've no better off than we were. We would've simply had three strong safeties instead of two. It still wouldn't have solved the lack of FS problem.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#14 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Pollard was a Real Raven....so was Boldin. Tough hard hitting out of the Bart Scott mode. Coaches need to see value in players like this as opposed to Huff etc...They are type A guys that will run through a brick wall for you if you earn their respect. Unfortunally Harbaugh wussed out imo by getting rid of them as opposed to learn how to get the most out of them

I agree with this to an extent.  I could be very wrong, because I have no idea what the relationships are like between the players and Harbaugh, but I don't feel the players go the extra mile for Harbaugh.  At least that's the feeling I get.  I don't think we have any coach right now, except maybe Austin, who players will really fight for.

I miss BP's energy, not sure we necessarily need him back on the team though.  We need a rangy FS to help out our secondary and move guys into their natural position.

Edited by redrum52, 09 January 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#15 I-70WestRaven

I-70WestRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Tough, hard hitter yes, but sometimes that's a 15 yd. penalty waiting to happen. We get flagged enough as it is. Besides we would have cut him this year anyway for cap space. There is a fine line between good and dirty and a referee waiting to throw the laundry. IMO.
The Baltimore Ravens! 'Nuff said!!

#16 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Don't let the hits fool you. Pollard sucked.

#17 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Don't let the hits fool you. Pollard sucked.

Ignore the 75% or something like that completion % when thrown at, he hit like a MACK truck.

...when he hit them in the strike zone.

#18 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Ignore the 75% or something like that completion % when thrown at, he hit like a MACK truck.

...when he hit them in the strike zone.

Definitely not disputing that. The dude could hit. He just couldn't cover worth a damn. If he played twenty years ago  he'd be a HOFer, or at least a pro bowler. But, he didn't and he's not.

#19 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

there is NOTHING cool about taking a player out of the game.

We would be ticked off if some one took one of our players out right?

So why should be proud when one of our players does the same thing.

Its just a game and there is no reward in taking away a mans ability to make a living.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#20 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Lol...of all the guys we got rid of Pollard is the guy we miss the least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users