Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitalize

Letting S Bernard Pollard go was a dumb move

62 posts in this topic

I respect Ozzie and by no means am I calling him dumb. The move was a dumb.

Bernard Pollard was an enforcer and a voice on the Ravens Defense. The Defense had toughnes and their usual killer instinct.

And to get a little personal, Bernard Pollard was my favorite player because he knocks people out of games.

It was a bad move to let Pollard go for a couple reasons:

1). He is capable of anything such a knocking players out of games especially at critical times in a game.

And

2). He has the voice to be a leader in the locker room with his tough love attitude.

In order to have a great Defense you need players like that! You need killer instincts and even be willing to play dirty.

After Bernard left our defense got soft.The D lost their killer instinct and dirtyness. They were only better statistically last year thats it.

The Organization doesn't show it know but I think they are and will Regret letting Pollard go!

He could have won us 2 more games also. He could have delivered the knock out blow vs the Packers to give us the ball back in the 4th QTR and in the Patriot game he also could have kncoked Steven Ridley out of the game as well and maybe Brady! and we could have been 10-6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxYmGQMVTA

I like Pollard, but he was a liability in coverage and for all his big hits not far above average as a run stopper. And if you think a team needs to be able to play dirty to win you should go buy yourself a Hines Ward jersey.

He could have won us 2 more games also. He could have delivered the knock out blow vs the Packers to give us the ball back in the 4th QTR and in the Patriot game he also could have kncoked Steven Ridley out of the game as well and maybe Brady! and we could have been 10-6.

I love the assumption that Pollard would have single-handedly won the team games by simply knocking fools out.

yeah, I'm actually happy he's gone, never really liked him... we had very good play at the position this year and we're set for the next... so yeah, no need for him at all

Pollard had off field issues... and on field issues too... 4 teams in 5 years... There is a reason for that too.  That, and he was penalty ridden... The guy was hot-tempered. 

Yes, the Pollard who constantly gave up 15 yard penalties that inflated our redzone percentage by allowing poor offenses to get into the redzone.

Bernard Pollard was an enforcer and a voice on the Ravens Defense. The Defense had toughnes and their usual killer instinct.

And to get a little personal, Bernard Pollard was my favorite player because he knocks people out of games.

1). He is capable of anything such a knocking players out of games especially at critical times in a game.

And

2). He has the voice to be a leader in the locker room with his tough love attitude.

In order to have a great Defense you need players like that! You need killer instincts and even be willing to play dirty.

After Bernard left our defense got soft.The D lost their killer instinct and dirtyness. They were only better statistically last year thats it.

The Organization doesn't show it know but I think they are and will Regret letting Pollard go!

The defense "got soft", because we lost Pollard, Reed, Lewis, Ellerbe, Kruger, Williams... etc.  And even though we picked up Dumervil, Canty, Spears, Smith, Elam, etc...  There were too many changes... It's my opinion that Pollard was not the defacto of it all.

Gotta agree with the consensus on this topic. Losing Pollard was the least of our problems on D. Ihedigbo was arguably an upgrade actually. What we really need to worry about on defense is finding a true FS who can play the center field role and get Elam into a more in the box role. I have been a huge Elam fan since before the draft and he impressed me with solid play for a rookie playing out of position. I think he will be one of the best SS in the league in a few years, so no, cutting Pollard was not a mistake.

I love the assumption that Pollard would have single-handedly won the team games by simply knocking fools out.

i love the phrasing "knocking fools out" lmao 

but cmon man, diggs played better at SS than pollard did, and was every bit as tough. ihedigbo was a straight up wrecking ball this year

Pollard was a Real Raven....so was Boldin. Tough hard hitting out of the Bart Scott mode. Coaches need to see value in players like this as opposed to Huff etc...They are type A guys that will run through a brick wall for you if you earn their respect. Unfortunally Harbaugh wussed out imo by getting rid of them as opposed to learn how to get the most out of them

I liked Pollard, even though he was a liability in coverage. But had we kept him, we would've no better off than we were. We would've simply had three strong safeties instead of two. It still wouldn't have solved the lack of FS problem.

Pollard was a Real Raven....so was Boldin. Tough hard hitting out of the Bart Scott mode. Coaches need to see value in players like this as opposed to Huff etc...They are type A guys that will run through a brick wall for you if you earn their respect. Unfortunally Harbaugh wussed out imo by getting rid of them as opposed to learn how to get the most out of them

I agree with this to an extent.  I could be very wrong, because I have no idea what the relationships are like between the players and Harbaugh, but I don't feel the players go the extra mile for Harbaugh.  At least that's the feeling I get.  I don't think we have any coach right now, except maybe Austin, who players will really fight for.

I miss BP's energy, not sure we necessarily need him back on the team though.  We need a rangy FS to help out our secondary and move guys into their natural position.

Tough, hard hitter yes, but sometimes that's a 15 yd. penalty waiting to happen. We get flagged enough as it is. Besides we would have cut him this year anyway for cap space. There is a fine line between good and dirty and a referee waiting to throw the laundry. IMO.

Don't let the hits fool you. Pollard sucked.

Ignore the 75% or something like that completion % when thrown at, he hit like a MACK truck.

...when he hit them in the strike zone.

Ignore the 75% or something like that completion % when thrown at, he hit like a MACK truck.

...when he hit them in the strike zone.

Definitely not disputing that. The dude could hit. He just couldn't cover worth a damn. If he played twenty years ago  he'd be a HOFer, or at least a pro bowler. But, he didn't and he's not.

there is NOTHING cool about taking a player out of the game.

We would be ticked off if some one took one of our players out right?

So why should be proud when one of our players does the same thing.

Its just a game and there is no reward in taking away a mans ability to make a living.

Who cares about Pollard? We replaced him twice over :lol:

I'm serious!

[URL=http://s305.photobucket.com/user/MilitantX1/media/Lamontlaughinggif_zpsd48abac5.gif.html]Lamontlaughinggif_zpsd48abac5.gif[/URL]

#Mili

Pollard's a baller, but not extremely talented. I equate him to an enforcer on a hockey team and just like hockey, the NFL doesn't like enforcers these days. Best that he's gone and Diggs has better skills anyway.

Gentlemen,

It is refreshing to read opinion that is steeped in knowledge and understanding.  One can read posts by hundreds of football fans and not find it once. It's a rare commodity everywhere and especially rare in the NFL, even all the way up to team managers earning huge salaries though not possessing it in the least. 

If like some in our organization, you judged based upon statistics and simple math, you failed. But if you judged by additional means, you reached conclusions that eluded others upon the team with much greater influence than you can exert. Those that are making the missteps still don't understand what is wrong. 

Bisciotti has an inkling and will be forced to act, but you gentlemen are already closest to the truth.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxYmGQMVTA

Bernard Pollard.....the Mike Tyson of the NFL

Elam knocked a couple of guys out of the game with his low hits to their legs.

And Ihedigbo hit pretty hard himself.

But without a true free safety, along with all the other problems, it made no difference.

We still went 8-8.

I don't see how Pollard, instead of Ihedigbo or Elam, would've changed that for the better.