Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitalize

Letting S Bernard Pollard go was a dumb move

62 posts in this topic

I respect Ozzie and by no means am I calling him dumb. The move was a dumb.

Bernard Pollard was an enforcer and a voice on the Ravens Defense. The Defense had toughnes and their usual killer instinct.

And to get a little personal, Bernard Pollard was my favorite player because he knocks people out of games.

It was a bad move to let Pollard go for a couple reasons:

1). He is capable of anything such a knocking players out of games especially at critical times in a game.

And

2). He has the voice to be a leader in the locker room with his tough love attitude.

In order to have a great Defense you need players like that! You need killer instincts and even be willing to play dirty.

After Bernard left our defense got soft.The D lost their killer instinct and dirtyness. They were only better statistically last year thats it.

The Organization doesn't show it know but I think they are and will Regret letting Pollard go!

He could have won us 2 more games also. He could have delivered the knock out blow vs the Packers to give us the ball back in the 4th QTR and in the Patriot game he also could have kncoked Steven Ridley out of the game as well and maybe Brady! and we could have been 10-6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxYmGQMVTA

I like Pollard, but he was a liability in coverage and for all his big hits not far above average as a run stopper. And if you think a team needs to be able to play dirty to win you should go buy yourself a Hines Ward jersey.

He could have won us 2 more games also. He could have delivered the knock out blow vs the Packers to give us the ball back in the 4th QTR and in the Patriot game he also could have kncoked Steven Ridley out of the game as well and maybe Brady! and we could have been 10-6.

I love the assumption that Pollard would have single-handedly won the team games by simply knocking fools out.

yeah, I'm actually happy he's gone, never really liked him... we had very good play at the position this year and we're set for the next... so yeah, no need for him at all

Pollard had off field issues... and on field issues too... 4 teams in 5 years... There is a reason for that too.  That, and he was penalty ridden... The guy was hot-tempered. 

Yes, the Pollard who constantly gave up 15 yard penalties that inflated our redzone percentage by allowing poor offenses to get into the redzone.

Bernard Pollard was an enforcer and a voice on the Ravens Defense. The Defense had toughnes and their usual killer instinct.

And to get a little personal, Bernard Pollard was my favorite player because he knocks people out of games.

1). He is capable of anything such a knocking players out of games especially at critical times in a game.

And

2). He has the voice to be a leader in the locker room with his tough love attitude.

In order to have a great Defense you need players like that! You need killer instincts and even be willing to play dirty.

After Bernard left our defense got soft.The D lost their killer instinct and dirtyness. They were only better statistically last year thats it.

The Organization doesn't show it know but I think they are and will Regret letting Pollard go!

The defense "got soft", because we lost Pollard, Reed, Lewis, Ellerbe, Kruger, Williams... etc.  And even though we picked up Dumervil, Canty, Spears, Smith, Elam, etc...  There were too many changes... It's my opinion that Pollard was not the defacto of it all.

Gotta agree with the consensus on this topic. Losing Pollard was the least of our problems on D. Ihedigbo was arguably an upgrade actually. What we really need to worry about on defense is finding a true FS who can play the center field role and get Elam into a more in the box role. I have been a huge Elam fan since before the draft and he impressed me with solid play for a rookie playing out of position. I think he will be one of the best SS in the league in a few years, so no, cutting Pollard was not a mistake.

I love the assumption that Pollard would have single-handedly won the team games by simply knocking fools out.

i love the phrasing "knocking fools out" lmao 

but cmon man, diggs played better at SS than pollard did, and was every bit as tough. ihedigbo was a straight up wrecking ball this year

Pollard was a Real Raven....so was Boldin. Tough hard hitting out of the Bart Scott mode. Coaches need to see value in players like this as opposed to Huff etc...They are type A guys that will run through a brick wall for you if you earn their respect. Unfortunally Harbaugh wussed out imo by getting rid of them as opposed to learn how to get the most out of them

I liked Pollard, even though he was a liability in coverage. But had we kept him, we would've no better off than we were. We would've simply had three strong safeties instead of two. It still wouldn't have solved the lack of FS problem.

Pollard was a Real Raven....so was Boldin. Tough hard hitting out of the Bart Scott mode. Coaches need to see value in players like this as opposed to Huff etc...They are type A guys that will run through a brick wall for you if you earn their respect. Unfortunally Harbaugh wussed out imo by getting rid of them as opposed to learn how to get the most out of them

I agree with this to an extent.  I could be very wrong, because I have no idea what the relationships are like between the players and Harbaugh, but I don't feel the players go the extra mile for Harbaugh.  At least that's the feeling I get.  I don't think we have any coach right now, except maybe Austin, who players will really fight for.

I miss BP's energy, not sure we necessarily need him back on the team though.  We need a rangy FS to help out our secondary and move guys into their natural position.

Tough, hard hitter yes, but sometimes that's a 15 yd. penalty waiting to happen. We get flagged enough as it is. Besides we would have cut him this year anyway for cap space. There is a fine line between good and dirty and a referee waiting to throw the laundry. IMO.

Don't let the hits fool you. Pollard sucked.

Ignore the 75% or something like that completion % when thrown at, he hit like a MACK truck.

...when he hit them in the strike zone.

Ignore the 75% or something like that completion % when thrown at, he hit like a MACK truck.

...when he hit them in the strike zone.

Definitely not disputing that. The dude could hit. He just couldn't cover worth a damn. If he played twenty years ago  he'd be a HOFer, or at least a pro bowler. But, he didn't and he's not.

there is NOTHING cool about taking a player out of the game.

We would be ticked off if some one took one of our players out right?

So why should be proud when one of our players does the same thing.

Its just a game and there is no reward in taking away a mans ability to make a living.

Who cares about Pollard? We replaced him twice over :lol:

I'm serious!

[URL=http://s305.photobucket.com/user/MilitantX1/media/Lamontlaughinggif_zpsd48abac5.gif.html]Lamontlaughinggif_zpsd48abac5.gif[/URL]

#Mili

Pollard's a baller, but not extremely talented. I equate him to an enforcer on a hockey team and just like hockey, the NFL doesn't like enforcers these days. Best that he's gone and Diggs has better skills anyway.

Gentlemen,

It is refreshing to read opinion that is steeped in knowledge and understanding.  One can read posts by hundreds of football fans and not find it once. It's a rare commodity everywhere and especially rare in the NFL, even all the way up to team managers earning huge salaries though not possessing it in the least. 

If like some in our organization, you judged based upon statistics and simple math, you failed. But if you judged by additional means, you reached conclusions that eluded others upon the team with much greater influence than you can exert. Those that are making the missteps still don't understand what is wrong. 

Bisciotti has an inkling and will be forced to act, but you gentlemen are already closest to the truth.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxYmGQMVTA

Bernard Pollard.....the Mike Tyson of the NFL

Elam knocked a couple of guys out of the game with his low hits to their legs.

And Ihedigbo hit pretty hard himself.

But without a true free safety, along with all the other problems, it made no difference.

We still went 8-8.

I don't see how Pollard, instead of Ihedigbo or Elam, would've changed that for the better.

This thread is hilarious

^

My problem was the Ravens wasted a first round pick on Elam who is basically the same player as Pollard or digs. Personally I like Pollard better, he'll cost you 15 yards at times (sometimes because of the reputation) but he'll make some plays as a SS and play injured. Pollards a leader and gamer and holds people accountable. Harbaugh neutered the locker room.

The first round pick could have been better spent.

As much as I beat on Flacco this season , the Ravens front office (in the draft, trades or free agency) had just as bad a season as the coaches, O-line, quarterback or any other unit.

Trading Boldin for a 6th and a low one at that was a laugher.

Yes indeed my man Like I said the Ridley hit came we he was running all over the Ravens so some one had to right the wrong.

And people.

I think we will loose Diggs to Free Agency so that' one less hard hitter. Did you guys know that Pollard signed a three year extension, which would have been effective this offseason? He would have been a long staple enforcer. I also don't give a rats ass about his off field issues and character! Randy Moss put together a hall of fame career despite those non sense.

Also,

We need an enforcer. But Bernard was a special kind of enforcer. He would deliver a knockout shot at critical moments at a game. If a player was having a big game against the Ravens he would knock them out of the game. He times his hits right and he hits the right people that would pose a threat. He doesn't throw hits just for the sake of them he makes the hits count and we end up winning the game! (Steven Ridley)

Matt Elam or even Diggs will never be at the level that Bernard Pollard was.

Pollard was a true warrior for this team and served his purpose. However, we miss him the least out of all the players we let go. Easily replaced by Diggs and Elam. Pollard was a vocal guy in his own right, but I believe at times he went overboard and got on guys too much. That was ok with Reed and Lewis around to monitor that, but without them, he is too much of a loose cannon. Plus his penchant for 15 yard penalties and fines was getting to be annoying, lol. 

Yes indeed my man Like I said the Ridley hit came we he was running all over the Ravens so some one had to right the wrong.

Your point is still horribly flawed. Pollard did a produce at least a couple of game-changing hits during his time as a Raven (his hit on Emmanuel Sanders in the '12 SNF game in Pittsburgh was one of the best in recent memory) but those plays don't make up for the numerous tackles he whiffed or times he got smoked in coverage. Did you watch the Super Bowl? He blew at least 3 coverages and Ed Reed wanted to kill him at one point. 

Hopefully, the team can draft or sign a true FS to pair with Elam, who will be just fine at SS. This is a senseless topic. 

Your point is still horribly flawed. Pollard did a produce at least a couple of game-changing hits during his time as a Raven (his hit on Emmanuel Sanders in the '12 SNF game in Pittsburgh was one of the best in recent memory) but those plays don't make up for the numerous tackles he whiffed on or times he got smoked in coverage. Did you watch the Super Bowl? He blew at least 3 coverage and Ed Reed wanted to kill him at one point. 

Hopefully, the team can draft or sign a true FS to pair with Elam, who will be just fine at SS. This is a senseless topic. 

Plus, it's not like at any given moment, Pollard can just decide to knock someone out.  He makes it seem like that's a choice and not something that just happens lol.

I'm glad this thread exists.  I need a good laugh every now and then.

I like Pollard, but he was a liability in coverage and for all his big hits not far above average as a run stopper. And if you think a team needs to be able to play dirty to win you should go buy yourself a Hines Ward jersey.

Everybody in our secondary is a liability, who covers better & by the way he did lead the team in tackles that year.....

My problem was the Ravens wasted a first round pick on Elam who is basically the same player as Pollard or digs. Personally I like Pollard better, he'll cost you 15 yards at times (sometimes because of the reputation) but he'll make some plays as a SS and play injured. Pollards a leader and gamer and holds people accountable. Harbaugh neutered the locker room.

The first round pick could have been better spent.

As much as I beat on Flacco this season , the Ravens front office (in the draft, trades or free agency) had just as bad a season as the coaches, O-line, quarterback or any other unit.

Trading Boldin for a 6th and a low one at that was a laugher.

& dont forget the 1mil cap hit for cutting him like we had room for it...

Pollard was good but he was a liability in coverage and a 15 yard penalty waiting to happen. Ozzie made it clear we are going to get a true FS in the off season and when Elam moves to SS he will be better then both Pollard and Ihedigbo by a long shot.

& dont forget the 1mil cap hit for cutting him like we had room for it...

We saved more money than we had to eat.  The cost benefit ratio was heavily in the benefit ratio in terms of economics.

We are seeingbthe wussification of our team. Once mighty men that bulldozed whoever was in our way in the run game, now we try to run sideways in the hopes of finding a crack to slip through. Thanks Castillo

I can see why this topic got started about Pollard. We really had no consistent physical players on defense or offense.

I did not  see that Ravens trademark toughness that Boldin ,Lewis,Reed,Pollard,offensive line(tail end of last season)

had last year.

There is only one game where I really saw some toughness .That was the Detroit game when Megatron looked like

he had enough of the hits from our secondary. My son and I both agreed that we were playing with last year's

toughness in that game.

Jimmy Smith was the best Raven on defense in terms of improvement and Ravens trademark toughness.

Ihedigibo had a great season and wasnt a liability in coverage. Elam moves to ss next year. Not missing Pollard. 

If Ihedigibo is so great , why is Ozzie gonna shift Elam to SS and find a FS ? He is as good as gone or a backup next year .

I'm sorry Bernard pollard is purely an inbox safety hard hitting, last season he was hardly a sure tackler versus the run for us... He is a tough player but by no means do I feel that pollard would have made a difference in the passing game during critical late drives. If anything he would have hit someone and got a PF tacted on also.

So then we would have had 3 SS rotating in and out.