48 replies to this topic

#1 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

we are arguing who is to blame for a lost game.

you want to blame the part that failed on the last 1 or 2 drives.

i rather blame the part who failed on  the many drives prior to the last 1 or 2.

Because then it IS their fault. If the offense has tied the game or taken the lead - from there it is up to the defense. Period. The offense has now done their part to either take us into OT or win the game. Period. That is just a fact.

I don't care if we lead the game 7-3 with 2 mins left. We are winning. Whether we win or lose at that point is in the hands of the defense. No one else controls it at that point.

For every "the offense didn't score" claim you want to make about earlier in the game there will be just as many plays on defense that one can point to throughout the game. It is just a fact that once the game is tied or we've taken a lead in the 4th - it is now in the hands of the defense. If they fail - then they have failed. That is just a fact.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#2 jkm5bmore

jkm5bmore

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

And I'd be fine with that if we'd learned anything and were making necessary coaching changes. We are not.

What we should have learned:

1. Castillo's ZBS system is crap.

2. Eventually Joe will get hurt.

3. Castillo's system destroyed our run game in one off season.

4. While he may not be the best, the Ravens need Pitta.

5. Torrey has not made the transition to a true #1 just yet (WR coaching ???)

6. Rice is not effective injured.

7. You won't know what you've got until you let them play (Marlon Brown)

8. You can't have a functioning offense with a stale playbook.

But, Castillo is sticking around and getting more responsibility. - which is something else Harbs should have learned with Cam - don't hold on so tight to friends.

Caldwell is still here. We've made no coaching changes on offense. Why expect different results?

If you build it they will come.

Play Like Ravens...52+1

FlocksGotta'FEED!

#3 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

And I'd be fine with that if we'd learned anything and were making necessary coaching changes. We are not.

What we should have learned:

1. Castillo's ZBS system is crap.

2. Eventually Joe will get hurt.

3. Castillo's system destroyed our run game in one off season.

4. While he may not be the best, the Ravens need Pitta.

5. Torrey has not made the transition to a true #1 just yet (WR coaching ???)

6. Rice is not effective injured.

7. You won't know what you've got until you let them play (Marlon Brown)

8. You can't have a functioning offense with a stale playbook.

But, Castillo is sticking around and getting more responsibility. - which is something else Harbs should have learned with Cam - don't hold on so tight to friends.

Caldwell is still here. We've made no coaching changes on offense. Why expect different results?

It's more on the players than it is the coaches.  Position coaches can't work miracles if the players just aren't that good (talking about the offense).  Not saying Torrey isn't good, but I think we've learned that he isn't a number 1 guy, but I'll give our FO a chance to rectify that by getting someone else before I just pass judgement and say the problem won't be fixed.  

Caldwells offense, hell, CAM's offense looked soooo much better when we had a better offensive line and a stable of quality receivers in appropriate roles (Boldin 1, Torrey 2, healthy Pitta).  And he had a healthy Rice.  How was anyone supposed to predict Ray would hurt his hip or that it wouldn't fully heal all season long?  Besides, if your impatient with Caldwell running the offense, there is a decent possibility that he won't even be here next year given all the HC interviews he's been doing.

Of the 8 things you mentioned, only 4, 6 and 7 are things that we legitimately should've know before the season started.  And as far as "no coaching changes," what about letting Wilbert Montgomery go?  

It's easy to say the ZBS is crap when we remade most of the offensive line last season.  If Osemele comes back healthy and the players adapt to the scheme over time (which isn't impossible), it might not be so crappy later on.  It's not impossible to run the scheme effectively, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't we run it with Cam??

#4 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

It's more on the players than it is the coaches.  Position coaches can't work miracles if the players just aren't that good (talking about the offense).  Not saying Torrey isn't good, but I think we've learned that he isn't a number 1 guy, but I'll give our FO a chance to rectify that by getting someone else before I just pass judgement and say the problem won't be fixed.  

Caldwells offense, hell, CAM's offense looked soooo much better when we had a better offensive line and a stable of quality receivers in appropriate roles (Boldin 1, Torrey 2, healthy Pitta).  And he had a healthy Rice.  How was anyone supposed to predict Ray would hurt his hip or that it wouldn't fully heal all season long?  Besides, if your impatient with Caldwell running the offense, there is a decent possibility that he won't even be here next year given all the HC interviews he's been doing.

Of the 8 things you mentioned, only 4, 6 and 7 are things that we legitimately should've know before the season started.  And as far as "no coaching changes," what about letting Wilbert Montgomery go?  

It's easy to say the ZBS is crap when we remade most of the offensive line last season.  If Osemele comes back healthy and the players adapt to the scheme over time (which isn't impossible), it might not be so crappy later on.  It's not impossible to run the scheme effectively, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't we run it with Cam??

Except I wasn't talking about things we should have known before the season started - I was talking about what the season should have taught us but with the inaction - we apparently did not learn.

I disagree about the WR coach. Torrey has been here long enough, he is always praised for being a hard worker, studying, always trying to improve - still having issues with tracking & route running? - that is a coaching limitation. I just don't think it's a coincidence that none of our WRs are good at route running. What are the odds? That is a coaching limitation and a big issue.

Yeah I'm impatient with Caldwell and I don't see him being hired anywhere else. When we're in do or die (last Cincy game) down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter and we run on first for a loss and then do it again on 2nd down? That was the final straw for me with Caldwell. Not to mention the complete lack of any creativity all season long.

My impatience though is that we've been down this road before with Cam and to take the next step we had to fire him. We should know better by now.

The ZBS is crap and I say that because the evidence is before our very eyes. The run game was not broken before Castillo and his brilliant scheme. Afterwards, we finished last in the league and were historically bad. Not franchise history either but league history.

Not to mention, if you look at the stats in Philly they are not all that impressive.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#5 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Except I wasn't talking about things we should have known before the season started - I was talking about what the season should have taught us but with the inaction - we apparently did not learn.

I disagree about the WR coach. Torrey has been here long enough, he is always praised for being a hard worker, studying, always trying to improve - still having issues with tracking & route running? - that is a coaching limitation. I just don't think it's a coincidence that none of our WRs are good at route running. What are the odds? That is a coaching limitation and a big issue.

Yeah I'm impatient with Caldwell and I don't see him being hired anywhere else. When we're in do or die (last Cincy game) down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter and we run on first for a loss and then do it again on 2nd down? That was the final straw for me with Caldwell. Not to mention the complete lack of any creativity all season long.

My impatience though is that we've been down this road before with Cam and to take the next step we had to fire him. We should know better by now.

The ZBS is crap and I say that because the evidence is before our very eyes. The run game was not broken before Castillo and his brilliant scheme. Afterwards, we finished last in the league and were historically bad. Not franchise history either but league history.

Not to mention, if you look at the stats in Philly they are not all that impressive.

Maybe it's a talent thing too. I mean isn't that at least a possibility? Some players just aren't good at doing things no matter how much they get coached up.

@gabefergy

#6 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Maybe it's a talent thing too. I mean isn't that at least a possibility? Some players just aren't good at doing things no matter how much they get coached up.

So we don't have a single WR that can run a crisp route? No one? Not one of them has that talent or even the ability to learn?

When it is a player here or there, it is most likely talent. When it is everyone - it is coaching.

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

So we don't have a single WR that can run a crisp route? No one? Not one of them has that talent or even the ability to learn?

When it is a player here or there, it is most likely talent. When it is everyone - it is coaching.

We didnt have those problems with Boldin and Mason, at least route running problems. We have a very young WR corps and no, we really don't have a crisp route runner. 

@gabefergy

#8 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

We didnt have those problems with Boldin and Mason, at least route running problems. We have a very young WR corps and no, we really don't have a crisp route runner. 

Mason was an exceptional route runner. I'd love to see them bring him in to coach up our WRs. Not everyone is cut out to be a coach but even if they brought him in as a consultant I think he'd help all our WRs with their routes.

#9 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

You know that we didn't learn because of the moves we haven't made 10 days into the offseason?  And secondly, it shouldn't be a significant surprise to anyone that the offense took a step back when you consider how much focus we put on defense last offseason, plus we traded our best receiver for cap reasons, plus we lost our other very reliable receiver to injury for 12 games.  

I didn't hear as much about bad route running when we had Boldin, Mason and Housh.  And if nothing else, Torrey has at least expanded on his route tree.  He caught a lot more short passes this season, and early in the season was a beast after the catch.  

It's not like the play calling was flawless this season.  Early on, we used little crossing routes to Torrey for him to catch the ball and get YAC, which actually helped start a lot of our drives.  Why we went away from that as the season went on, I have no idea.  I also thought we threw way too many short passes all year, but maybe that had something to do with a lack of faith in the O lines ability to protect long enough for 10+ yard plays to develop.  We also never figured out how to stop double A gap blitzes all season long, and we had way too many free runners take shots at Flacco, and we kept getting in third and long.  These are are undeniable problems.  But as far as a lack of creativity, we did see stacks/bunches/different route concepts this year, just like we did in the SB run, as well as off and on (at best) during Cam's tenure.

These are all correctable without being forced to overhaul the offensive staff because this was the same staff, minus Castillo, that was here when we fielded way better offenses in years prior.  What does that scream?  To me, personnel upgrades!!  Torrey's not a legit number 1, and Jacoby's not a legit number 2.  Marlon, maybe.  

And again, I'm pretty sure we ran at least some ZBS when Cam was here.  We definitely ran our share of zone stretch plays.  I'm not going to break down why it's a good scheme because I'm not football smart enough to do so, but it can work.

#10 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

So what can we do in replacing Caldwell if everyone else is up for a HC job?  You basically just told me that we can't replace him, so he has to stay, which is true to a certain extent.  That's different from choosing him over any other prime candidate.  When we replaced Cam in the middle of the season, we had to hire from within.  We couldn't bring in someone from outside the organization for him to instill his system with three games left in the season.  In hindsight, we picked the right guy because the first thing we did after we promoted Caldwell was win a SB.  I wouldn't trade that run for anything.

I first read numerous sources that said Montgomery was just not coming back.  They didn't say he was being fired or he was going elsewhere, but now I see that he is going elsewhere.  Just to clarify.

Then I guess by your logic, we can't hold Jacobys bad route running against Hostler because he was in Houston before coming here.  But take a guy like Marlon.  First, he was only a rookie who had a serious injury in college before that.  So he hasn't had much time to develop NFL route running yet.  Secondly, even if he isn't a great route runner or never becomes one, he's still a threat in the redzone, and he still had 7 TDs last season.  I'll take that production from an UDFA rookie any day.  

I guess you missed the part where I said all of these issues in terms of play calling are fixable without having to fire the guy right away.  Don't tell me they aren't.  We didn't have these issues when Caldwell was calling plays for our SB run.  And as far as "not even attempting to scheme our way" out of running game issues, yes we did.  How many times did we go 3 or 4 wide to try and throw our way out of stacked boxes?  We just weren't able to for the most part.  Just because plays didn't work, doesn't automatically mean they weren't creative.  They look bad when the don't work, and they look masterful when the do.

What do you mean "they aren't the same guys?"  

Hostler - 2008.  We had a way better passing game in 2009, 2010 and 2012.  2011 was arguably better also.

Caldwell - 2012.  So who was the coordinator for our SB run, plus the Giants game at the end of the regular season?

Castillo - 2013.  Doesn't count.  I already said "minus Castillo."

Moeller - 2008.  We had a damn good O line in 2008, and we were on our way to having one in 2009 before Gaither went down.  The O line was average in 10 and 11 from my perspective, but noticeably better then than in 2013.

You just proved my point.

And as far as Hostler not developing receivers, I'm sure you can say that about 90% of wide receiver coaches in the NFL. You really think if we traded WR coaches with the Patriots, Marlon and Torrey would wake up tomorrow morning having perfected the route tree?  This is a PLAYERS league far more than it is a coaches league.  Players are paid to produce.

So that's all on Castillo?  It had nothing to do with the players they had?

No I didn't. I said the worthwhile people will have jobs by the end of the week. If we were going to fire him, we would have done it. Is it my fault if they drag their feet and decide to do it too late? Not like I can make a phone call and get it done.

Are we even sure he was calling the plays during that SB run? I'm beginning to think our SB run was more a product of Harbs taking off the handcuffs and giving Flacco more freedom. Which disappeared this season.

Who did we have here that Hostler developed? No one. He has not developed one WR and our entire receiving corps cannot run routes, fight for balls, gain separation and have tracking issues. All the ones you named were veterans that came in with their fundamentals in place. His job is fundamentals. When that is not there in your entire corps - it is with the coaching.

No one holds Jacoby's issue against him - he has more hand issues really, likes cradles - that doesn't make the rest of our receivers developed.

Guess you haven't seen NE play much lately huh? Those no names? They're running some pretty crisp routes now.

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Well let's see - logically, since we only lost 3 games by more than 1 score, I guess the defense's 4th quarter failings have more impact.

It isn't about this one or that one costing a game here or there - it is about the myth that the defense was so great and so much better than last year - it is a myth.

Their 4th quarter failings - giving up the 3rd most points in the 4th quarter - getting scored on 67% of the time in the red zone -  cost us games this season. Did the offesnse cost us games? Yep. But there is no myth around that they were better than last season or so great.

This isn't about the offense. The only reason the offense even matters is how the 4th quarter defensive "collapses" would be completely irrelevant if the offense wasn't so terrible.  This is about the defense being better than last year, which they were. Every single possible metric will tell you that except for the "but they didnt make as many 4th quarter stops" which only tells part of the story. It's not even like the 2012 Ravens were getting stops in the regular season anyways. 

@gabefergy

#12 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

No I didn't. I said the worthwhile people will have jobs by the end of the week. If we were going to fire him, we would have done it. Is it my fault if they drag their feet and decide to do it too late? Not like I can make a phone call and get it done.

Are we even sure he was calling the plays during that SB run? I'm beginning to think our SB run was more a product of Harbs taking off the handcuffs and giving Flacco more freedom. Which disappeared this season.

Who did we have here that Hostler developed? No one. He has not developed one WR and our entire receiving corps cannot run routes, fight for balls, gain separation and have tracking issues. All the ones you named were veterans that came in with their fundamentals in place. His job is fundamentals. When that is not there in your entire corps - it is with the coaching.

No one holds Jacoby's issue against him - he has more hand issues really, likes cradles - that doesn't make the rest of our receivers developed.

Guess you haven't seen NE play much lately huh? Those no names? They're running some pretty crisp routes now.

So who should they replace him with? 

So now Torrey can't run routes, fight for balls or get separation?  Even though I've seen him do it all before?  Marlon can too, see his TD in Buffalo where he caught it in coverage.    

I've been watching NE.  I'm not overly impressed by Thompkins and especially not Dobson.  Neither, and I repeat, NEITHER of them outproduced Marlon this season.  Edelman is a fast, nimble Welker type just by nature, not because he was coached up, and Amendola came from STL.  They don't count.

#13 wayne

wayne

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

It's not totally unreasonable to say that if Flacco hadn't demanded such a large contract, the FO might have felt more comfortable with extending Boldin for a year or two and pushing some of his cap hit into the future.

Here's the simplistic reasoning that I am arguing against:

Person A: If Flacco hadn't demanded a huge contract we might have been able to keep Boldin.

Person B: Not true! Flacco's cap hit this season is only $6.8 million, it had nothing to do with us losing Boldin!

Person B is oversimplifying the situation. The FO is not only concerned with this season and next season. They have to plan according to their future obligations. With Flacco's contract, we have large future obligations that must be accounted for. It's really not that difficult to understand, I don't know why some are so unwilling to admit that Flacco's contract is a significant burden. You don't get something for nothing.

Agreed. I think the FO makes decisions based on more than a 2 year window.

#14 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Well the fact is in most games our defense kept us in it, and our O failed to capitalize. Isn't it easier to play with a lead than having to always play catch up too?

I just don't think it's fair to criticize the defense for not making a stop in the 4th quarter, when they have been making stops and getting the ball back throughout the entire game and the offense doesnt do anything with it. The Buffalo and GB games are perfect examples. In Buffalo our defense completely shut down the Bills in the 2nd half but we kept turning the ball over. Against GB, our D locked down Aaron Rodgers who had his worst game of the year, but we didnt have an offense until the 4th quarter, and then it's the defenses fault for not getting 1 stop? I know that last stop could have been the difference in the game, but how many times does the offense get a pass?

I'm not trying to say only the offense was to blame for the team's failures, but I dont see how anyone could objectively look at this year's Ravens and say the defense was the problem. I also don't see how anyone can just point to a very small sample of 4th quarter "failures" and ignore the rest of the game where the defense largely played exceptionally well. 

As I mentioned before, I think it is fact that the D as whole played better in 2013. The point of contention is the 3 or 4 games where they failed at the end of the game when we had a chance to win. I understand what you are saying and no, the offense doesn't get a pass! They are a part of the team as well.

This scenario plays out in games in all sports, at every level, every day. Teams/individuals take leads or perform well for most of a game/match/whatever. Sometimes it happens that they fail at the end and lose/fail. They don't finish. It happens and it spells failure no matter how they/their team performed before that. At the end of the day, what matters most and has the greatest effect on success/failure is how you finish.

#15 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

myth: The defense faced way more top scoring offenses in 2013 than 2012.

Fact: In 2012, we faced 5 offenses in the top 10 for scoring. In 2013, we faced 6 offenses in the top 10 for scoring.

myth: The defense performed much better than 2012 versus top scoring offenses.

Fact: In 2012 our scoring differential (points allowed against the average points per game for those teams) versus top 10 scoring offenses was plus 17. In 2013, versus top 10 scoring offenses our differential was plus 14. A difference of a mere 3 pts.

Note: This accounts for teams we play twice (if they were in the top 10).

Myth: One statistic or ranking is the sole measurement of performance.

Fact: There are many different variables that need to be taken into account.

Rankings do not tell the whole tale - and of course it becomes difficult to go back & see where they were ranked when we played them etc. These are based on end of season rankings.

I only quoted your post because it mentions getting back to facts. These are facts, easily verified. The entire "we ranked higher so we were way better" argument is myth & opinion.

Edit: After double checking the figures we actually performed better in 2012 than in 2013 versus top 10 scoring offenses. We allowed 13 points over the average in 2012 versus 14 points over the average in 2013.

Eh, I hear what you are saying, but I don't put much faith in rankings and stats.  I watch all games(some twice!) and I'm here to tell you that the defense vastly improved overall as a UNIT in 2013, even considering the communication issues in the secondary. We just fielded a better group in 2013. That said, it is a mystery why they failed to play 4 quarters in some games and why the pass rush disappeared in the second half of the season. Things to improve upon moving forward.   

#16 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

myth: The defense faced way more top scoring offenses in 2013 than 2012.

Fact: In 2012, we faced 5 offenses in the top 10 for scoring. In 2013, we faced 6 offenses in the top 10 for scoring.

myth: The defense performed much better than 2012 versus top scoring offenses.

Fact: In 2012 our scoring differential (points allowed against the average points per game for those teams) versus top 10 scoring offenses was plus 17. In 2013, versus top 10 scoring offenses our differential was plus 14. A difference of a mere 3 pts.

Note: This accounts for teams we play twice (if they were in the top 10).

Myth: One statistic or ranking is the sole measurement of performance.
Fact: There are many different variables that need to be taken into account.

Rankings do not tell the whole tale - and of course it becomes difficult to go back & see where they were ranked when we played them etc. These are based on end of season rankings.

I only quoted your post because it mentions getting back to facts. These are facts, easily verified. The entire "we ranked higher so we were way better" argument is myth & opinion.

Edit: After double checking the figures we actually performed better in 2012 than in 2013 versus top 10 scoring offenses. We allowed 13 points over the average in 2012 versus 14 points over the average in 2013.

How many of those points were defensive though? Didn't NE score 2 defensive TDs and Cinci and Chicago did as well. So not even your facts are factual in this case.

@gabefergy

#17 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

How many of those points were defensive though? Didn't NE score 2 defensive TDs and Cinci and Chicago did as well. So not even your facts are factual in this case.

Exactly, those and special teams points count against the defense.  I'm also assuming the stats aren't going to show where the defense or ST put up points for the anemic offense as well.  The fact is, the defense usually held people to their average or below average points(with or without the 4th q collapses), while the offense usually managed less than their average when needed.  Not only below their own average, but below the league average as well.  I've said it before, 19-20 points is nothing when the league average is around 24.  The rules are catered to teams to be able to score.

#18 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

How many points counted in 2012 were defensive scores?

I can only go by the numbers given at the end of the season  Certainly I can go game by game and include & deduct those for each game in each season - that becomes cherry picking simply because the stats don't support the claim one likes though.

Stats can be manipulated any which way frankly - which is what is happening for measuring the success of the 2013 defense and claiming they were so much better than 2012. They were marginally better overall at best and situationally worse.

Edited by ravensdfan, 09 January 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#19 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

How many points counted in 2012 were defensive scores?

I can only go by the numbers given at the end of the season Certainly I can go game by game and include & deduct those for each game in each season - that becomes cherry picking simply because the stats don't support the claim one likes though.

Stats can be manipulated any which way frankly - which is what is happening for measuring the success of the 2013 defense and claiming they were so much better than 2012. They were marginally better overall at best and situationally worse.

Pick 6's by denver and Houston, that's 2 TDs compared to 4.

Our run defense was way better this year. Our pass defense was better thus year. We got more pressure on the QB this year. They were better at 3rd down defense this year, you know getting stops.

How about grading individual players on D.

Last year our defense graded a cumulative -15.2 by PFF.

This year they graded +77.4.

The Ravens had the 19th best defensive DVOA last year. This year they were 7th best.

DVOA is a play by play statistic to measure a teams performance based on the expected outcome of a given play. This measure is adjusted to compensate for opponent.

@gabefergy

#20 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Since good football discussion has beed reported in the Myth Busters thread it has been moved here.
68f2a8.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users