47 replies to this topic

#1 RavensFanMvp

RavensFanMvp

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

I watched the state of the ravens yesterday and I heard Ozzie mention a certain type of player the team is looking for at WR. He basically said by the time the 2014 season starts, he will have his "guy." Now I was as excited as most when I heard this but then I got to thinking.... Instead of us finding our "guy", why can't we go out and find our "guys?"

I mean, every time we go searching for help at receiver (or help on offense in general), we always look for that one guy, then we ignore the WR position for the next few years, in hopes of this "one" guy being the savior. Meanwhile, on defense we bring in 2 or 3 players for each position of need to try to improve those positions.

Well we need to do what we did in 2005, when we signed a free agent receiver (Derrick Mason), and drafted one as well (Mark Clayton). That's almost ten years since we made any kind of serious effort to bring in high level guys at wideout. Even before 2005, we always depended on the savior. Remember Travis Taylor anyone? Once we drafted Taylor in 2000, we didn't really try to bring in any top level receiver until 05.

We need to sign multiple free agent WRs, or draft 2 or 3 guys in the draft, two of them being high draft picks (1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounders), or a mixture of both.

Whatever the case may be, we need to bring in at least 3 highly talented guys that could compete for the second receiver spot. I'm not saying we should break the bank for receivers, but teams like the Packers, Saints, Giants, Eagles, 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos, etc.... those teams bring in multiple guys each year to compete for a roster spot and we need to do the same.

And no... 6th or 7th rounders, UDFAs, waiver and practice squad guys don't count. That's the Ravens way of doing things. We need to switch things up and start making an assertive effort to CONSTANTLY bring in talented WRs. Not just this off-season, but moving forward as well. The front office set Joe up for failure by trading Boldin, now it's time to make it up to him by finding him multiple guys to throw to. Ozzie said it himself at the presser, "finding a good wide receiver is hit or miss".

Basically Ozzie was saying that it's a 50/50 chance a WR will come in and fit our (or any team) system (or in a rookie's case play well in the NFL, like he did in college). Well, if that's the case, then bringing in multiple guys would be the smart thing to do IMO. I mean why bring in one guy in hopes of him being the savior, if it's either hit or miss? We've done this for the last 7 years. We put the weight of the world on "one" guy shoulders, and hoped and prayed that he can turn around our always struggling offense.

What ends up happening is....

We scrutinize every single mistake our so called savior makes and he ends up being the scapegoat for why our O still sucks. But if we bring in 3 or more guys, we put ourselves in position to have a guy most likely hit, rather than miss because the more guys we bring in, the higher the chance someone steps up to be that guy. Look at what happened with Pitta and Dickson. We didn't have to put all the pressure on one guy to replace Heap. We brought in 2 guys that was competing against each other to replace him. We didn't have to worry about our one guy not stepping up because we had two guys competing and we knew that one of them would rise to the occasion.

You can use Gino for comparison on the opposite end of the speculum. Instead of bringing in another high talented guy to push Gino at center, we stuck with Gino and hoped that he could replace Birk and look how that worked out.

Anyway, I truly hope the front office recognize that bringing in "one" guy at WR is not going to be the answer for us (it hasn't worked in the last 7 years). Since WRs are so hit or miss, we need to bring in multiple guys, so Joe and hopefully the new offensive coordinator can have some weapons to work with on offense. And let's stick to talented guys with upside this time too, instead of low level receivers who is already at their ceiling when we sign them.

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of... You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fingers and say, "That's the bad guy."

So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide. How to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! It's the last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. - Tony "Scarface" Montana.

#2 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

I watched the state of the ravens yesterday and I heard Ozzie mention a certain type of player the team is looking for at WR. He basically said by the time the 2014 season starts, he will have his "guy." Now I was as excited as most when I heard this but then I got to thinking.... Instead of us finding our "guy", why can't we go out and find our "guys?"

I mean, every time we go searching for help at receiver (or help on offense in general), we always look for that one guy, then we ignore the WR position for the next few years, in hopes of this "one" guy being the savior. Meanwhile, on defense we bring in 2 or 3 players for each position of need to try to improve those positions.

Well we need to do what we did in 2005, when we signed a free agent receiver (Derrick Mason), and drafted one as well (Mark Clayton). That's almost ten years since we made any kind of serious effort to bring in high level guys at wideout. Even before 2005, we always depended on the savior. Remember Travis Taylor anyone? Once we drafted Taylor in 2000, we didn't really try to bring in any top level receiver until 05.

We need to sign multiple free agent WRs, or draft 2 or 3 guys in the draft, two of them being high draft picks (1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounders), or a mixture of both.

Whatever the case may be, we need to bring in at least 3 highly talented guys that could compete for the second receiver spot. I'm not saying we should break the bank for receivers, but teams like the Packers, Saints, Giants, Eagles, 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos, etc.... those teams bring in multiple guys each year to compete for a roster spot and we need to do the same.

And no... 6th or 7th rounders, UDFAs, waiver and practice squad guys don't count. That's the Ravens way of doing things. We need to switch things up and start making an assertive effort to CONSTANTLY bring in talented WRs. Not just this off-season, but moving forward as well. The front office set Joe up for failure by trading Boldin, now it's time to make it up to him by finding him multiple guys to throw to. Ozzie said it himself at the presser, "finding a good wide receiver is hit or miss".

Basically Ozzie was saying that it's a 50/50 chance a WR will come in and fit our (or any team) system (or in a rookie's case play well in the NFL, like he did in college). Well, if that's the case, then bringing in multiple guys would be the smart thing to do IMO. I mean why bring in one guy in hopes of him being the savior, if it's either hit or miss? We've done this for the last 7 years. We put the weight of the world on "one" guy shoulders, and hoped and prayed that he can turn around our always struggling offense.

What ends up happening is....

We scrutinize every single mistake our so called savior makes and he ends up being the scapegoat for why our O still sucks. But if we bring in 3 or more guys, we put ourselves in position to have a guy most likely hit, rather than miss because the more guys we bring in, the higher the chance someone steps up to be that guy. Look at what happened with Pitta and Dickson. We didn't have to put all the pressure on one guy to replace Heap. We brought in 2 guys that was competing against each other to replace him. We didn't have to worry about our one guy not stepping up because we had two guys competing and we knew that one of them would rise to the occasion.

You can use Gino for comparison on the opposite end of the speculum. Instead of bringing in another high talented guy to push Gino at center, we stuck with Gino and hoped that he could replace Birk and look how that worked out.

Anyway, I truly hope the front office recognize that bringing in "one" guy at WR is not going to be the answer for us (it hasn't worked in the last 7 years). Since WRs are so hit or miss, we need to bring in multiple guys, so Joe and hopefully the new offensive coordinator can have some weapons to work with on offense. And let's stick to talented guys with upside this time too, instead of low level receivers who is already at their ceiling when we sign them.

I agree with everything you have said , we don't need developmental wide outs. I get that it can be a crap shot . but 20 and only one has a 1000 yard season that's not good. why draft someone who can't run routes, doesn't have a full route tree, lots of drops, can't box out defenders. ...don't we have enough of those already.

#3 edthehead

edthehead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

I feel your pain no late round WR(we got lucky with brown)I hope we draft Ebron in the first and get a WR in the second a center in the 3rd or 4th and I am good

#4 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

If somehow Mike Evans falls in our 18th pick, it would be ecstatic..........

I wish I wish.......can't wait for the draft....

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#5 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

If somehow Mike Evans falls in our 18th pick, it would be ecstatic..........

I wish I wish.......can't wait for the draft....

my fear is this Evans is there and so is Clinton dix ,,,,,,,,,or a pass rusher he likes. will he still take evans

#6 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

I will reiterate my opinion... I don't believe that Mike Evans is around at 17 (unless we trade up)...  Only because you look at the teams making picks prior to us....  Teams that NEED WR's BAD.... Cardinals... Fitz is getting older, Houston or NY Jets,   Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, even the Steelers...  To get Mike Evans we will need to trade up.  He's at least Top 10.

117hd79.jpg

#7 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

The thing is if you're talking about multiple receivers, it gets hard to get all these guys on the field at the same time. You have Torrey, Marlon, Pitta, New WR A, and New WR B. That's a five wide set right there.

So the question becomes, would you rather add one guy who can take over a game and earn that starting job? Or add multiple guys who become role players in various situations?

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#8 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm going to say the team needs to go all in this draft.  There are enough pieces here now to build around.  You fill in some holes here by trading up, or trading back into the first to get solid players you want, not just guys who fall to you and build.  It might sound stupid, but the team is good, minus a few positions.  If Ozzie is willing to give up next years 1st and second to get the guys we need now I feel this team will be better in the long and short term. 

I don't think we go into the season without adding at least 2 receivers or a wr and a te before camp starts.  And the team should stop with this power in numbers game.  Go get the guy who will get the job done and keep them on the field unless you're mixing it up with 2 TEs.

Edited by redrum52, 09 January 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#9 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

We may even be surprised at who is still around next year...  I mean, do we dump Doss and some others to keep Jones???  So you have your two outside speedsters too...  This offseason could get REALLY REALLY interesting...  yeah, you are exactly right...  who can be on the field at one time??? 

The thing is if you're talking about multiple receivers, it gets hard to get all these guys on the field at the same time. You have Torrey, Marlon, Pitta, New WR A, and New WR B. That's a five wide set right there.

So the question becomes, would you rather add one guy who can take over a game and earn that starting job? Or add multiple guys who become role players in various situations?

117hd79.jpg

#10 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

I will reiterate my opinion... I don't believe that Mike Evans is around at 17 (unless we trade up)... Only because you look at the teams making picks prior to us.... Teams that NEED WR's BAD.... Cardinals... Fitz is getting older, Houston or NY Jets, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, even the Steelers... To get Mike Evans we will need to trade up. He's at least Top 10.

Evans has top ten talent, but between the QBs, LT, pass rushers and other WR who are just as talented and in as high demand, a lot of guys, including Evans, could fall to us in the middle of the first. He has some question marks, I don't think he is a lock to go in the top 20, much less top ten.

That said, Evans is my "dream scenario". Really hope we land him.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#11 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I'm going to say the team needs to go all in this draft.  There are enough pieces here now to build around.  You fill in some holes here by trading up, or trading back into the first to get solid players you want, not just guys who fall to you and build.  It might sound stupid, but the team is good, minus a few positions.  If Ozzie is willing to give up next years 1st and second to get the guys we need now I feel this team will be better in the long and short term. 

I don't think we go into the season without adding at least 2 receivers or a wr and a te before camp starts.  And the team should stop with this power in numbers game.  Go get the guy who will get the job done and keep them on the field unless you're mixing it up with 2 TEs.

So true...  but don't forget...  We got Furstenburg sitting back there learning.  I didn't understand why we didn't use him when Pitta was out...  I just think that guy has sooooo much potential.  He remninds me so much of Todd Heap sometimes... 

117hd79.jpg

#12 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Evans has top ten talent, but between the QBs, LT, pass rushers and other WR who are just as talented and in as high demand, a lot of guys, including Evans, could fall to us in the middle of the first. He has some question marks, I don't think he is a lock to go in the top 20, much less top ten.

That said, Evans is my "dream scenario". Really hope we land him.

That and they're gonna be looking at Linemen Fiy.  Which we need WAY MORE!

117hd79.jpg

#13 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

my fear is this Evans is there and so is Clinton dix ,,,,,,,,,or a pass rusher he likes. will he still take evans

I'm hoping the Ravens don't draft Evans at all or Clinton Dix atleast in the first round but if it happens well I won't question Ozzie

Edited by jazz1988, 09 January 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#14 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm hoping the Ravens don't draft Evans at all or Clinton Dix atleast in the first round but if it happens well I won't question Ozzie

will he go offense or go defense that's all I meant . I prefer amaro personally . Clinton dix I like as well but evans is the popular name here

Edited by Jokerraven, 09 January 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#15 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Since we only have 4 WRs under contract going into next year, I think it is fair to say we will bring in at least 2 new guys. Whether via draft or FA is hard to say, but I would guess we draft a couple, perhaps one early and one later, and also sign a free agent or two.

@gabefergy

#16 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yeah lets draft a TE and WE first and second and watch them do nothing as Flacco is sacked 50 times a year.

#17 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yeah lets draft a TE and WE first and second and watch them do nothing as Flacco is sacked 50 times a year.

I'm pretty sure we will draft an OL early as well, and KO coming back healthy could be a big improvement.

@gabefergy

#18 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

There are so many good weapons though this draft.  We can find a stop gap at center and there is no way they can be worse than Gino.  I think KO comes back and is productive as well and you can pick up a RT later in the draft who will most likely put up more resistance than the Michael "Turnstile" Oher.

#19 RavensFanMvp

RavensFanMvp

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

I agree with everything you have said , we don't need developmental wide outs. I get that it can be a crap shot . but 20 and only one has a 1000 yard season that's not good. why draft someone who can't run routes, doesn't have a full route tree, lots of drops, can't box out defenders. ...don't we have enough of those already.

Exactly. It's basically a crap shoot when it comes to receivers, Ozzie stated this himself. Your chances decrease dramatically if you are bringing in low level guys that are low round draft picks or guys you pick up off the waiver wire. So we need to go after 2 or 3 guys that could possiblly become a 1,000 yard receiver within a year or two of being in the league.

But that's the thing. It's not about getting all these guys out on the field. We was able to get guys like Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Kevin Johnson, Mark Clayton, D- Will, Doss, etc., out on the field and they still didn't produce. But if you bring in 2 or 3 guys, we don't have to worry about them not producing because the chances are, at least one of those 3 guys will most likely step
up. The ones that don't produce can spend another year developing until they are ready.

Developing good wideouts is more so about options than it is finding that one guy that can "hopefully" come in and produce. And BTW, having 5 potentially good receivers is a good thing. It give us more the reason to play 4 or 5 wide sets, which is what most great modern offenses run.

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of... You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fingers and say, "That's the bad guy."

So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide. How to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! It's the last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. - Tony "Scarface" Montana.

#20 RavensFanMvp

RavensFanMvp

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

That and they're gonna be looking at Linemen Fiy.  Which we need WAY MORE!

I don't think O-line is a necessarily a bigger need than wideout. If we're going to stick with the air coryell, then yes O-line is a more pressing need. But if we bring in a offensive coordinator that's willing to go deep and short, 50/50, then I think WR is going to be a bigger need than O-line. A good offensive scheme can mask a lot of things. The air coryell is a intermediate to deep offensive system which forces the linemen to have to hold their blocks longer than guys who play in a west coast offense. So if we bring in a OC that's going to not only attack down field but also run short routes, I think WR is a bigger need than O-line.

We was in the same predicament in 2009. The situation was... do we draft Oher and sew up the RT (or in Ozzie case long term, LT) or draft a guy like Desean Jackson, Hakeem Nicks or Kenny Britt. Well Oher has been average at best, while Jackson, Nicks and Britt has shown they are capable of being number one receivers. Look at the Packers.... their O-line isn't all that great, but their offensive scheme makes up for that because of the short, quick passes they they constantly run.

Since we only have 4 WRs under contract going into next year, I think it is fair to say we will bring in at least 2 new guys. Whether via draft or FA is hard to say, but I would guess we draft a couple, perhaps one early and one later, and also sign a free agent or two.

I hope you're right! Cause bringing in "one" guy and hoping he can be that guy is obviously not going to work.

There are so many good weapons though this draft.  We can find a stop gap at center and there is no way they can be worse than Gino.  I think KO comes back and is productive as well and you can pick up a RT later in the draft who will most likely put up more resistance than the Michael "Turnstile" Oher.

No doubt. If Ozzie can't find 2 or 3 guys he like at WR in this draft, then something is wrong. I mean why is it ok to go all out to restock on D, but when the offense needs to be revamp it's, "we're going to find our "guy". I mean we signed multiple D linemen, linebackers, and safeties last year. It's time to do the same at WR and get Joe some weapons that can really contribute in a major way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users