Ravens at Bengals      Pro Bowl Voting      #RavensPumpkin      Game Rewind   

Photo

Steve Biscotti giving the FO and John Harbaugh one more chance before he steps in

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Article from Preston, with direct quotes from Steve. Basically saying, he's patient, but can't allow repeat failure and will step in next year if it happens again.

http://touch.baltimo...e/p2p-78823631/

Qb joe flacco took chances he shouldn't have.

Believes in Juan and thinks he and the players had an improved relationship as the year went on.

The offence frustrated him the most, esp the running game.

They have questioned if rice is done, concludes he was too heavy, lost elusiveness without adding much power.

Edited by arnie_uk, 08 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#2 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

what I took away from the whole thing was it was all the players faults and the coaches did nothing wrong. Rice isn;t done and not overweight but he did say himself he was losing weight. at least they are in tune with how the fans feel . I am curious to see what happens if 5 games in no run game ,no pass blocking, ten games and so on . and if Biscotti is serious and if things do not get better and it is the coaches  if he will step in and fire them cause o f it. will Ozzie do that has he ever had to   and they didn't announce a new rb coach .

I will say this in Castillo defense our run game improved toward the end of the season. but were we grasping the new scheme or were we getting back to what we know.

Joe was trying to win games he the one who takes more heat all you hear is ozzie is a genius, harbs is fantastic and Joe is a one trick pony blah blah blah.

Edited by Jokerraven, 08 January 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#3 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Everyone noticed Rice was a little bigger this season.  Also noticed that Suggs seemed to add weight as the season progressed.  Still can't believe Juan is getting another chance after No Vaseline'n the run game.

#4 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Mostly what i took from this is Ray rice , is he done? or if he doesn't pass 1000 yards next year there will be a tough decision coming on him. also he said Joe took alot of chance becasue he had too. he had no one ut torrey to throw the ball too. Torrey can't get off press coverage, Marlon is unpolished, and Jacoby is inconsistant and piita was hurt. who is throw the ball too. if your going to pay your QB that money you have to surround him with weapons.

Edited by Ravenskid52752, 09 January 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#5 admartian

admartian

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Mostly waht i took from this is Ray rice , is he done? or if he doesn't pass 1000 yards next year there will be a tough decision coming on him. also he said Joe took alot of chance becasue he had too. he had no one ut torrey to throw the ball too. Torrey can't get off press coverage, Marlon is unpolished, and Jacoby is inconsistant and piita was hurt. who is throw the ball too. if your going to pay your QB that money you have to surround him with weapons.

Then that's the FO's fault for undervaluing Boldin. The impact of losing Pitta (which no one could have predicted) would have been far less had we had Q.

And seeing as we cut Huff and Spears anyway, and Doom was unseen (as well as T-sizzle tbf) in the 2nd half of the season + Q having a great year; in hindsight that decision ultimately cost us our season/playoff spot imo.

But yeah, I put that on the FO and partly coaching for not adjusting as well as they could have.

Edited by admartian, 08 January 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#FlaccoProBowl2014 (Aug 2014 prediction)

Win or lose, I believe.

PS4 is WOW!

#6 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Think Flacco taking chances was a by product of how bad the offense was.  He was forced to and didn't make great ones all the time.

Interesting article though.

#7 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Good post Arnie; would not have seen the article otherwise. Don't know that you needed to start a new thread tho.

#8 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Bisciotti (note the 2nd "i") is the only one who makes me feel better about the direction of the team. Ozzie and Harbaugh (and our coordinators) are very traditionalist or overly grounded in experience and Steve is the one willing to take risks. Don't misunderstand me - I like our entire staff, but Steve will be the one to say "We're going to change before this gets ugly" while everyone else says "We'll go with it until it stops working". I guess that's part of being a businessman, to stay one step ahead. 

#9 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Bisciotti (note the 2nd "i") is the only one who makes me feel better about the direction of the team. Ozzie and Harbaugh (and our coordinators) are very traditionalist or overly grounded in experience and Steve is the one willing to take risks. Don't misunderstand me - I like our entire staff, but Steve will be the one to say "We're going to change before this gets ugly" while everyone else says "We'll go with it until it stops working". I guess that's part of being a businessman, to stay one step ahead. 

I agree.

He is the right amount of "hands off" until need may be.

One thing he said that really impressed me in his leadership is something about "Asking a lot of questions "
He is not an arrogant know it all.  He will admit he doesnt know how to RUN a football team, but he knows when things need to change. He is slow to react, but when he does he does it decisively ( cough cough Snyder )

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#10 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Read the entire article...  I like how Bisciotti is handling this...  As your boss, I am sure that you would want that kind of respect and opportunity to straighten things out.

117hd79.jpg

#11 Jillester

Jillester

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

It appears that Caldwell is history as I read between the lines of the conversation:

"I won't engage with John about his coaching staff until a lot of this settles down because he [Caldwell] has some good opportunities in a lot of different ways," Bisciotti said. "I certainly can't give him a window and then just fire him."

"If John has made that decision he hasn't told me, and to be honest, I don't believe he has made that decision. Why would you if it could be out of your hands in the next couple of weeks? I think John deserves that time to watch things settle and see where things end up."

I get the feeling that the FO is waiting for Caldwell to make a move so that his parting is amicable and on him.  

That which does not kill me... will be the basis for my revenge.

#12 Jillester

Jillester

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

This piece of the article confirms my assumption about the "letting go"  (i.e. firing) of Montgomery:

Bisciotti wasn't shy in voicing his disappointment in the offense, but said he had no indication if Harbaugh was planning to fire any more assistant coaches after letting running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery go Friday.

That which does not kill me... will be the basis for my revenge.

#13 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

I think the end bit about Rice is most telling. He was playing at 217? Yikes. I knew he looked big, but that is not good. He needs to get back in the 205-210 range and get that elusiveness and burst back. Rice has to know he is under the microscope too with the owner making comments like that.

@gabefergy

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

I can't believe I read a Preston article all the way through and got something useful out of it.

In all seriousness, I'm glad Bisciotti is like this.  He's willing to let the guys do their things, but if it doesn't work out, he's not afraid to pull the plug.  He's always been a guy that wants a top product on the field, both for the fans and for his pockets.

#15 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Article from Preston, with direct quotes from Steve. Basically saying, he's patient, but can't allow repeat failure and will step in next year if it happens again.

Believes in Juan and thinks he and the players had an improved relationship as the year went on.

They have questioned if rice is done, concludes he was too heavy, lost elusiveness without adding much power.

I got skull-dragged when I first suggested this two seasons ago - (and on this board at the beginning of this year). 

Flyismo, Where are you????

:268213:  All I gotta say to the folks that gave me grief.........................

Told ya!

#16 playlikeawhat

playlikeawhat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Steve should step in anyway and buy some refs while he cleans house.  That's right, cheat.  Cheat and win.  NFL media analysts, editors and talk show personalities will pretend The Ravens didn't cheat as long as they win.  See Pats (3-4) in Super Bowl (ideally 0-7 due to cheating).  I don't see why his involvement would be a problem as long as he doesn't Jerry Jones the place.

Edited by playlikeawhat, 08 January 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#17 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Steve should step in anyway and buy some refs while he cleans house.  That's right, cheat.  Cheat and win.  NFL media analysts, editors and talk show personalities will pretend The Ravens didn't cheat as long as they win.  See Pats (3-4) in Super Bowl (ideally 0-7 due to cheating).  I don't see why his involvement would be a problem as long as he doesn't Jerry Jones the place.

Really?  This might be one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here in awhile.

#18 playlikeawhat

playlikeawhat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Really?  This might be one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here in awhile.

It was supposed to be.

Edited by playlikeawhat, 08 January 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#19 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

After reading the article and watching the press conference video, one thing that makes me feel confident about his season and many seasons after is that our smart and understanding owner who doesn't do the knee-jerk reaction although I really want Castillo go but I really don't know the whole story about our failure.

I'm going to wait and see how things unfold...............

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#20 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Bisciotti is starting to get an inkling, but he hasn't endured enough pain yet.  Because the pain has only developed recently, he can't get his head around the severity of the problem. 

Bisciotti is giving "Them" slack for 2014 but if "They" fail again next year he's looking for more input at a minimum.

It's going to take Bisciotti until after the 2015 season to realize some things.  Bisciotti is not adept at personnel evaluation. In fact not unlike Ozzie and Harbaugh, he's completely missed the boat as of late.  But come the end of the 2014 season it will be clear the Raven's missed their "Championship Window".  The team that was effectively disbanded in 2013 should have been in at least 3 Championship Games in that decade, there was that much talent on board.  The fact that it didn't happen is attributable to "Them" and "They". 

Come the end of 2015, there's not going to be any place for those guys to hide.  We've gone into rebuild though, that cleaning of house management should occur this year. The delay will put us 2 years behind the curve.

<p>John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users