251 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

This isn't a "who do you want us to get thread"? Rather a what kind of WR do you think WR should get?

WR is a huge need(duh). But what kind? Some will say possession WR(Boldin esq dude. Matthews, Nicks) Others will say big body WR. (Cooper, Benjamin, Evans, Barden), some will say playmaker(Lee, Watkins, Beckham).

Me? Well what do Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady all have in common.

They have a tough slot WR that will go over the middle and take a hit, but still have the chance to make a big play afterwards.

I think we are missing a little quickie slot WR, and it's obvious Marlon can't be that.

I may have us getting Beckham Jr, but I'm also an advocate for us getting a Hawkins, a Brandin Cooks. A little out WR.
Banned

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,460 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Somebody like Boldin. Simple as that. Attack the middle and make tough catches. Break tackles and get YACs. Fight for yardage.

You know, a guy that does things that NONE of our current guys do except MAYBE Marlon.

#3 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

I think what we need is a clear WR2 and/or a clear slot receiver. Marlon Brown can improve at either role if he has to imo, and Aaron Mellette looked good enough in the preseason to play a possession guy if we need it (wouldn't be opposed to having him in the slot tbh). But Marlon gives us a lot of flexibility as to what kind of guy we can take.

Most importantly we need someone who can run short and intermediate routes, and has reliable hands. The short passing game is a huge link in the chain missing from our system as that allows us to attack more of the field vertically, forces a defence to spread out and really opens up the deep threat (I also think it would help the running game if we had that credible threat, though not solve everything by any stretch). Jacoby was good as that guy for us, but I fear he'll be a cap casualty. If we replace him I'd rather see a guy who can run better routes and has more reliable hands.

Being able to go up and the ball's another big component, and I think that inclines me towards a bigger receiver who can also run a few nice routes.

Finally, I think we need another deep threat more than the coaches are letting on. Don't get me wrong here, I love the idea of bringing our passing game closer to the LoS and think we should. But the deep ball is our big weapon, and if we let Jacoby walk then we'd only have Torrey for that role (and Deonte Thompson, who needs a bit more work). I'd rather have a second guy who can blow the top off a defence among other things, as any deep safety could just focus on Torrey otherwise.

I don't think we have a crippling need for a Welker-like slot guy, as long as whoever we bring in can provide Joe with a quick release valve if he needs it. Wouldn't complain at all about a pure slot guy though.

In the draft I really like Marqise Lee and Odell Beckham Jr as I think they're the best fit for all three categories. There isn't really anyone who stands out to me in a big way in FA imo.

#4 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,694 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Something like Jeffery or Vincent Jackson. ;)

Tough and physical who can go up and fight for the ball.

Someone with Matt Elams initials.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#5 Caliravenlover

Caliravenlover

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

No we aren't getting Mike Evan's far to slow, we need a fast playmaking receiver, quick slot receivers can be found in later rounds 

#6 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

Someone with reliable hands.

#7 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

i think we should get an OC first and depending on the scheme decide what kind of WR we need.

ideally a Calvin Johnson, AJ green, Fitz  like wr who is a physical freak would be ideally but those dont grow on trees.

#8 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

No we aren't getting Mike Evan's far to slow, we need a fast playmaking receiver, quick slot receivers can be found in later rounds 

We already have fast playmaking receivers. Boldin already proved that you don't need speed to make plays. A lot of our receivers don't jump up and overpower people for the ball. That being said, I'd love for the Ravens to draft Mike Evans.

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#9 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

someone who can be a contributor from day one. No Injured reserve, no raw talent, no needs to learn x y z. we have enough of those already .

#10 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

i think we should get an OC first and depending on the scheme decide what kind of WR we need.

ideally a Calvin Johnson, AJ green, Fitz  like wr who is a physical freak would be ideally but those dont grow on trees.

Kenny Britt the ability to be one of those guys.We should sign him.The only reason people don't mention his name along with those other guys is because he has never had a good QB.If Flacco was throwing to him his numbers would explode just like Demaryius Thomas' did when he got Manning.

#11 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,718 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

Kenny Britt the ability to be one of those guys.We should sign him.The only reason people don't mention his name along with those other guys is because he has never had a good QB.If Flacco was throwing to him his numbers would explode just like Demaryius Thomas' did when he got Manning.

I thought Britt was also lazy and an alcoholic, but maybe I'm getting my reports mixed up. He's not mentioned with those guys because he isn't one. Megatron was still productive before Stafford, and Fitz wasn't that bad without Warner.

#12 MrDelDante

MrDelDante

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:01 AM

We need a fighter. Someone to battle for balls in the air, solid hands and a great route runner. Doesn't need to have blazing speed, we have Torrey, Jacoby (at the moment) and Deonte for that.

Posted Image

#13 Tru11

Tru11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

im not sure though.

britt does have exceptional physical skills but he does not have a good mentality if i have to believe all the reports about him.

so far he has shown questionable hands and sloppy RR.

based on potential and if he is cheap he could be a good signing but do you have faith the ravens have the coaches to make that potential come out?

Ravens havent been that good at getting the best out of a WR.

And with Britt mental issues i have a hard time believing they will get through to him.

He is nice though in madden lol.

#14 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

This isn't a "who do you want us to get thread"? Rather a what kind of WR do you think WR should get?

WR is a huge need(duh). But what kind? Some will say possession WR(Boldin esq dude. Matthews, Nicks) Others will say big body WR. (Cooper, Benjamin, Evans, Barden), some will say playmaker(Lee, Watkins, Beckham).

Me? Well what do Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady all have in common.

They have a tough slot WR that will go over the middle and take a hit, but still have the chance to make a big play afterwards.

I think we are missing a little quickie slot WR, and it's obvious Marlon can't be that.

I may have us getting Beckham Jr, but I'm also an advocate for us getting a Hawkins, a Brandin Cooks. A little out WR.

Tough over the middle the guy with reliable hands - the one thing our receivers tend to do is drop a few easy ones, and that's costly.  Q's and Pitta's specialties are catching the tough passes and moving the chains, and being open when Flacco needs them the most.  We missed that this entire season.  I'm all for taking one of the tight ends in round 1 and then coming out with a guy like Jordan Matthews (my favorite receiver in this draft) in round 2.

#15 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

The WR i like is Jordan Matthews from day one i said he is a raven to me. but don't be surprise if the ravens trade back a little and take Bradin Cooks to be a tavon austin type guy in the slot with Marlon brown. also don't be surprise the ravens double dip at WR.

here's Bradin cooks highlights he matches touch catches, run excellent Routes has great hands and he's not afraid of going over the middle to make a catch and take hit.  

http://youtu.be/lfJvQEYRJsw

#16 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

Reminder: this is supposed to be "what kind" not "who".
15fqib6.jpg

#17 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Does his name rhyme with Ike Mevans? LOL
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#18 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Big ,fast like Megatron or Dez Bryant.

Wishful thinking , i know

#19 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

I've been tweeting my horn for Beckham Jr in the draft. I'm looking for more of a slot guy to work the underneath,catch screens,run reverses and in general not drop the ball.

#20 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm torn. One part of me wants us to get the big, fast beast like Evans, Benjamin or even Coleman(project) who could be around in the second round. The other part wants a compact, quick, tough possession type guy that can move the chains like Beckham or Cook.

How about both?  :D

The bigger need seems to be in the slot.  The OP is right. We are missing that quick possession type guy that seems to be the common thread for big passing game success.  

Edited by Tank 92, 07 January 2014 - 09:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users