Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info »
Close

Photo

Keep WRs Smith and Brown, cut everyone else and start anew (what do you think?)

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

(Just the WR core were talking about here)

Would replacing the majority of the WR roster help our passing game? I know our biggest issue comes along the Oline but think about this:

The most common issue was that WRs were not able to get separation - coverage sacks are not the fault of the Oline, its the WRs.

In addition, Deonte was a great option but never able to stay on the field due to the injury bug - and last year had not really proved himself to be a consistent down field threat either.

JJ, who makes great a return man, have not turned his ability into enough game changing plays this season to really deserve a #2 spot(or any spot higher than #3 really.

Doss exploded for a few games and then fizzled out. In addition, I never really saw the consistent hands the coaches raved about in training camp. - Too many drops since the SB to really have trust in him.

Stokley is retiring so there is not much to say there. - Great man, great career, sometimes you just gotta know when to hang them up.

Would it be that far off that via the draft and FA that we replace these spots with more suitable WRs that can get Flacco to the point in which he can be that QB we expected to come along with that 120M price tag? What say you Ravens nation?

Edited by cushrinada1986, 06 January 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#2 Brandon22

Brandon22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

I Agree But Think We Keep Jacoby For Special Teams

"Its not about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward!...thats how winning is done!"-Rocky
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#3 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

I think Doss is an asset to have in transition. Let a more talented player beat him out. However, I would wipe the slate unless the coaching slate is swiped.

#4 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Jacoby deserves to stay but, you're right, only at a #3 role. He was a much better option this past year than any other one, from what I've seen of him.

Before going all-in with Marlon, I'd like to see him do it again. He was excellent but we've seen young guys fizzle out - Williams, Moore - or just never improve - Clayton. He was worlds ahead of any of those guys at this stage but there is still that possibility plus he has a history of injuries.

There probably are not too many realistic options to upgrade over him - not unless we draft a guy in the 1st or spend big money on a FA, which I don't think will happen.

Doss could probably stay as a reserve and he has ST experience

Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#5 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm sorry the main reason why our wideouts couldn't get separation was because our offensive coordinator suck when it came to calling creative or non predictable passing plays. Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones, Tandon Doss, and Deonte Thompson in my opinion would have been much better  if our offensive coordinator would had called better passing plays.

The Ravens can decide to sign a better receiver  or draft  a good receiver but in the end they will most likely receive the Boldin treatment. The Boldin treatment to me is a wideout that  makes plays  here and there but never produce like  he should because he not being used right( San Francisco have shown us that Boldin was not used properly). None of our receivers are being use in a way to maximize their abilities and it's quite sad but for some reason  they still are the problem which to me doesn't make sense.

#6 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

I would love to see Jacoby stay and try to keep consistent targets for Joe .  I would love for the fo to  get Boldin back , if he agrees to it. IF ozzie is going to use a high pick not a developmental wideout then why not trim the fat . if he is going to draft more ir players no thanks . how about new coaches . wr;s has been an issue for a very long time we are atrocious at developing young wideouts

Edited by runamuk, 06 January 2014 - 11:47 AM.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#7 Stephenjr

Stephenjr

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

(Just the WR core were talking about here)

Would replacing the majority of the WR roster help our passing game? I know our biggest issue comes along the Oline but think about this:

The most common issue was that WRs were not able to get separation - coverage sacks are not the fault of the Oline, its the WRs.

In addition, Deonte was a great option but never able to stay on the field due to the injury bug - and last year had not really proved himself to be a consistent down field threat either.

JJ, who makes great a return man, have not turned his ability into enough game changing plays this season to really deserve a #2 spot(or any spot higher than #3 really.

Doss exploded for a few games and then fizzled out. In addition, I never really saw the consistent hands the coaches raved about in training camp. - Too many drops since the SB to really have trust in him.

Stokley is retiring so there is not much to say there. - Great man, great career, sometimes you just gotta know when to hang them up.

Would it be that far off that via the draft and FA that we replace these spots with more suitable WRs that can get Flacco to the point in which he can be that QB we expected to come along with that 120M price tag? What say you Ravens nation?

With all due respect, this post is absurd! How long did it take 1st round pick Mike Crabtree to become a stud? You don't just cut your whole offense. Once the O-line is fixed the Wr will look better. When you have no run game, it's not hard for the D to know what is coming at them!

#8 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yes, it's time to cut ties with all of these underachievers. We need to learn our lesson and stop taking guys in the middle rounds and hoping our horrible coaches can develop them. We have never developed a mid round-late round WR... EVER!!!! Marlon is the closest, and he is far from a complete receiver. Its partly the players and partly the coaches.... But I think it's time to move on. There is a plethora of talent at the WR position in the draft, and we could defiantly use an upgrade.

#9 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Besides Torrey and Marlon, I do think Jacoby should be re-signed. Say what you will about him, but he is always a big play away from making a touchdown when he has the ball in his hands. I think he was even more effective than Torrey when a deep ball was thrown to him. I also think Mellette is a wildcard to make the team. I liked what I saw last pre-season. It's probably unrealistic that we draft Mike Evans, but I'd love for that to happen. With the last WR spot going to a good special teams player, I honestly think that could be a good WR corps. And I agree with jazz1988. I think the WRs would've looked much better with a more creative and inventive OC. There is still potential to have a great offense if the O-Line can be fixed.

2z3w5ms.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#10 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

It all depends on free agency/draft - Jacoby is a valuable asset as a number 3 WR/return man, but that's all - if some team wants to pay him starter money I don't think the Ravens will match it.  The others are decent depth/ST, but as with any player, getting rid of them means you have to have a viable alternative in place.  For instance, in the case of our TEs, whether we resign Pitta or not, I suspect neither Dickson nor Clark will be on this team next year, necessitating us drafting or signing at least one.  It's all well and good so say "all of our receivers suck, lets replace them" but it's not something I feel you can do in the course of one offseason.  Certainly my hope is that there will be at least one promising young prospect at both the receiver and tight end position next year, but these things take time.  For instance, Green Bay's current roster includes 7 years worth of draft investments.

#11 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

So in this thread's logic:

1) We are cutting every WR on the team
2) Trading with SF to get Boldin back
3) Keeping Doss

Most of these players were on the team last year (Brown is the exception). We cut a number of WR this pre-season, Streeter being one.

To effectively dispatch our entire WR corps we would need money. We are already struggling with the cap. What is the proposal? Cut all of the WR, turn away Leach, Koch, and Suggs and use the money to bring in a new group.

Save the drastic cuts. Invest in the offensive line and see what this useless WR are capable of when their QB has a solid pocket to throw from. Forget all about the impact the O Line will have on the running game. From a solid running threat we develop a nasty play action pass.

Or just fire the entire WR group and hope that the table scrap group we bring in is better.

.....continue wasting band width here.......

"“All of a sudden, and I had not officially met Ray yet, I feel this presence over my shoulder and this voice: ‘Ray Rice, this is Ray Lewis. I love the way you play. But, you should pull your pants up.’”

Asked what it’s like to see a deep ball from Flacco, Jones likened it to Starburst candy.
“It’s juicy, it’s good,” Jones said. “It’s like candy. Everybody loves candy. Who don’t like candy?”

"We got the better Harbaugh!" Sherry Huggler

"Finally"

"My descriptions of my actions on that play are a lot of things - embarrassing, inexcusable, a blunder would be a myriad of things I use to describe it." Mike Tomlin (a cheating Stealer)

#12 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

It all depends on free agency/draft - Jacoby is a valuable asset as a number 3 WR/return man, but that's all - if some team wants to pay him starter money I don't think the Ravens will match it.  The others are decent depth/ST, but as with any player, getting rid of them means you have to have a viable alternative in place.  For instance, in the case of our TEs, whether we resign Pitta or not, I suspect neither Dickson nor Clark will be on this team next year, necessitating us drafting or signing at least one.  It's all well and good so say "all of our receivers suck, lets replace them" but it's not something I feel you can do in the course of one offseason.  Certainly my hope is that there will be at least one promising young prospect at both the receiver and tight end position next year, but these things take time.  For instance, Green Bay's current roster includes 7 years worth of draft investments.

Totally agree; we can wait until August to make release decisions. We will likely have Pitta, Furstenburg, and hopefully Amaro or Ebron. At WR -- Torrey, Marlon, Aaron, Doss and Thompson, maybe Jacoby, plus (hopefully) a 2nd round draft pick. Add in PS and UdFAs and the coaches//FO will have their release options.

Edited by Bruce_Almty, 06 January 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#13 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

This is something you wait until training camp to do. I don't think there's much question that Jacoby won't be back. You're left with Thompson, Mellette, and maybe Doss. Why cut them now? They're all cheap labor in NFL terms. If they don't work out in training camp, you cut them at little to no cost.

Edited by rmw10, 06 January 2014 - 02:09 PM.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#14 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

If Jacoby didn't ask for too much like more than he is paid right now, then I think we can keep him for ST and #3 WR.

The rest will be tested in the training camp...

We need to draft good OT, WR, and TE....

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#15 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

This is something you wait until training camp to do. I don't think there's much question that Jacoby won't be back. You're left with Thompson, Mellette, and maybe Doss. Why cut them now? They're all cheap labor in NFL terms. If they don't work out in training camp, you cut them at little to no cost.

Doss isn't under our control, I don't think, since we cut him and brought him back.  He's an URFA

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#16 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Doss isn't under our control, I don't think, since we cut him and brought him back.  He's an URFA

That's why I threw the maybe in front of him.  Even if we bring him back, it's going to be for very cheap with little, if any, guaranteed money.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#17 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yes, it's time to cut ties with all of these underachievers. We need to learn our lesson and stop taking guys in the middle rounds and hoping our horrible coaches can develop them. We have never developed a mid round-late round WR... EVER!!!! Marlon is the closest, and he is far from a complete receiver. Its partly the players and partly the coaches.... But I think it's time to move on. There is a plethora of talent at the WR position in the draft, and we could defiantly use an upgrade.

After watching the whole offense go down the tube including the OL, RBs, QB, and WRs, I think it's more of a coaching problem.

#18 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

After watching the whole offense go down the tube including the OL, RBs, QB, and WRs, I think it's more of a coaching problem.

If the offensive line is a bust, the team is a bust. Everything starts with the front five. They suck the whole team sucks.

"“All of a sudden, and I had not officially met Ray yet, I feel this presence over my shoulder and this voice: ‘Ray Rice, this is Ray Lewis. I love the way you play. But, you should pull your pants up.’”

Asked what it’s like to see a deep ball from Flacco, Jones likened it to Starburst candy.
“It’s juicy, it’s good,” Jones said. “It’s like candy. Everybody loves candy. Who don’t like candy?”

"We got the better Harbaugh!" Sherry Huggler

"Finally"

"My descriptions of my actions on that play are a lot of things - embarrassing, inexcusable, a blunder would be a myriad of things I use to describe it." Mike Tomlin (a cheating Stealer)

#19 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

With all due respect, this post is absurd! How long did it take 1st round pick Mike Crabtree to become a stud? You don't just cut your whole offense. Once the O-line is fixed the Wr will look better. When you have no run game, it's not hard for the D to know what is coming at them!

I get what your saying to a point but:

The Oline can only be blamed for so much. a good portion of those sacks Flacco got were coverage sacks, which means even when the Oline held up, which I admitt was not as often as they should, the WR were still not getting open, causing Flacco to eat it or throw up picks. And as much as I would love to agree with you about Crabtree, lets not forget hes not doing it all on his own. Vernon Davis is one of if not the most dangerous vertical TEs in the game, Gore can be even more of a threat on the ground, Bodlin can still win one on ones even in tight coverage, and Kap can freeze any defense with his legs. So im sorry but your logic is a bit off. If Crabtree was the only consistent weapon on that team, the 49ers would not be in the playoffs.

#20 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,524 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Whoever is brought in, the play-calling has to improve. PFF just released an article on screens during the regular season. The team got 102 yards off RB screens, good for a respectable 13th. How did they do in WR yards? An embarrassing 34th out of 38 QBs that threw the rock. The team got 24 screen yards from WRs. 

Torrey isn't a YAC beast like Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant but he's more than capable of picking up yards after the catch. Same goes Jacoby and even Marlon.   

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 06 January 2014 - 03:31 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users