Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cushrinada1986

Keep WRs Smith and Brown, cut everyone else and start anew (what do you think?)

84 posts in this topic

(Just the WR core were talking about here)

Would replacing the majority of the WR roster help our passing game? I know our biggest issue comes along the Oline but think about this:

The most common issue was that WRs were not able to get separation - coverage sacks are not the fault of the Oline, its the WRs.

In addition, Deonte was a great option but never able to stay on the field due to the injury bug - and last year had not really proved himself to be a consistent down field threat either.

JJ, who makes great a return man, have not turned his ability into enough game changing plays this season to really deserve a #2 spot(or any spot higher than #3 really.

Doss exploded for a few games and then fizzled out. In addition, I never really saw the consistent hands the coaches raved about in training camp. - Too many drops since the SB to really have trust in him.

Stokley is retiring so there is not much to say there. - Great man, great career, sometimes you just gotta know when to hang them up.

Would it be that far off that via the draft and FA that we replace these spots with more suitable WRs that can get Flacco to the point in which he can be that QB we expected to come along with that 120M price tag? What say you Ravens nation?

I think Doss is an asset to have in transition. Let a more talented player beat him out. However, I would wipe the slate unless the coaching slate is swiped.

Jacoby deserves to stay but, you're right, only at a #3 role. He was a much better option this past year than any other one, from what I've seen of him.

Before going all-in with Marlon, I'd like to see him do it again. He was excellent but we've seen young guys fizzle out - Williams, Moore - or just never improve - Clayton. He was worlds ahead of any of those guys at this stage but there is still that possibility plus he has a history of injuries.

There probably are not too many realistic options to upgrade over him - not unless we draft a guy in the 1st or spend big money on a FA, which I don't think will happen.

Doss could probably stay as a reserve and he has ST experience

I'm sorry the main reason why our wideouts couldn't get separation was because our offensive coordinator suck when it came to calling creative or non predictable passing plays. Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones, Tandon Doss, and Deonte Thompson in my opinion would have been much better  if our offensive coordinator would had called better passing plays.

The Ravens can decide to sign a better receiver  or draft  a good receiver but in the end they will most likely receive the Boldin treatment. The Boldin treatment to me is a wideout that  makes plays  here and there but never produce like  he should because he not being used right( San Francisco have shown us that Boldin was not used properly). None of our receivers are being use in a way to maximize their abilities and it's quite sad but for some reason  they still are the problem which to me doesn't make sense.

I would love to see Jacoby stay and try to keep consistent targets for Joe .  I would love for the fo to  get Boldin back , if he agrees to it. IF ozzie is going to use a high pick not a developmental wideout then why not trim the fat . if he is going to draft more ir players no thanks . how about new coaches . wr;s has been an issue for a very long time we are atrocious at developing young wideouts

Would replacing the majority of the WR roster help our passing game? I know our biggest issue comes along the Oline but think about this:

The most common issue was that WRs were not able to get separation - coverage sacks are not the fault of the Oline, its the WRs.

In addition, Deonte was a great option but never able to stay on the field due to the injury bug - and last year had not really proved himself to be a consistent down field threat either.

JJ, who makes great a return man, have not turned his ability into enough game changing plays this season to really deserve a #2 spot(or any spot higher than #3 really.

Doss exploded for a few games and then fizzled out. In addition, I never really saw the consistent hands the coaches raved about in training camp. - Too many drops since the SB to really have trust in him.

Stokley is retiring so there is not much to say there. - Great man, great career, sometimes you just gotta know when to hang them up.

Would it be that far off that via the draft and FA that we replace these spots with more suitable WRs that can get Flacco to the point in which he can be that QB we expected to come along with that 120M price tag? What say you Ravens nation?

With all due respect, this post is absurd! How long did it take 1st round pick Mike Crabtree to become a stud? You don't just cut your whole offense. Once the O-line is fixed the Wr will look better. When you have no run game, it's not hard for the D to know what is coming at them!

Yes, it's time to cut ties with all of these underachievers. We need to learn our lesson and stop taking guys in the middle rounds and hoping our horrible coaches can develop them. We have never developed a mid round-late round WR... EVER!!!! Marlon is the closest, and he is far from a complete receiver. Its partly the players and partly the coaches.... But I think it's time to move on. There is a plethora of talent at the WR position in the draft, and we could defiantly use an upgrade.

Besides Torrey and Marlon, I do think Jacoby should be re-signed. Say what you will about him, but he is always a big play away from making a touchdown when he has the ball in his hands. I think he was even more effective than Torrey when a deep ball was thrown to him. I also think Mellette is a wildcard to make the team. I liked what I saw last pre-season. It's probably unrealistic that we draft Mike Evans, but I'd love for that to happen. With the last WR spot going to a good special teams player, I honestly think that could be a good WR corps. And I agree with jazz1988. I think the WRs would've looked much better with a more creative and inventive OC. There is still potential to have a great offense if the O-Line can be fixed.

It all depends on free agency/draft - Jacoby is a valuable asset as a number 3 WR/return man, but that's all - if some team wants to pay him starter money I don't think the Ravens will match it.  The others are decent depth/ST, but as with any player, getting rid of them means you have to have a viable alternative in place.  For instance, in the case of our TEs, whether we resign Pitta or not, I suspect neither Dickson nor Clark will be on this team next year, necessitating us drafting or signing at least one.  It's all well and good so say "all of our receivers suck, lets replace them" but it's not something I feel you can do in the course of one offseason.  Certainly my hope is that there will be at least one promising young prospect at both the receiver and tight end position next year, but these things take time.  For instance, Green Bay's current roster includes 7 years worth of draft investments.

So in this thread's logic:

1) We are cutting every WR on the team

2) Trading with SF to get Boldin back

3) Keeping Doss

Most of these players were on the team last year (Brown is the exception). We cut a number of WR this pre-season, Streeter being one.

To effectively dispatch our entire WR corps we would need money. We are already struggling with the cap. What is the proposal? Cut all of the WR, turn away Leach, Koch, and Suggs and use the money to bring in a new group.

Save the drastic cuts. Invest in the offensive line and see what this useless WR are capable of when their QB has a solid pocket to throw from. Forget all about the impact the O Line will have on the running game. From a solid running threat we develop a nasty play action pass.

Or just fire the entire WR group and hope that the table scrap group we bring in is better.

.....continue wasting band width here.......

It all depends on free agency/draft - Jacoby is a valuable asset as a number 3 WR/return man, but that's all - if some team wants to pay him starter money I don't think the Ravens will match it.  The others are decent depth/ST, but as with any player, getting rid of them means you have to have a viable alternative in place.  For instance, in the case of our TEs, whether we resign Pitta or not, I suspect neither Dickson nor Clark will be on this team next year, necessitating us drafting or signing at least one.  It's all well and good so say "all of our receivers suck, lets replace them" but it's not something I feel you can do in the course of one offseason.  Certainly my hope is that there will be at least one promising young prospect at both the receiver and tight end position next year, but these things take time.  For instance, Green Bay's current roster includes 7 years worth of draft investments.

Totally agree; we can wait until August to make release decisions. We will likely have Pitta, Furstenburg, and hopefully Amaro or Ebron. At WR -- Torrey, Marlon, Aaron, Doss and Thompson, maybe Jacoby, plus (hopefully) a 2nd round draft pick. Add in PS and UdFAs and the coaches//FO will have their release options.

This is something you wait until training camp to do. I don't think there's much question that Jacoby won't be back. You're left with Thompson, Mellette, and maybe Doss. Why cut them now? They're all cheap labor in NFL terms. If they don't work out in training camp, you cut them at little to no cost.

If Jacoby didn't ask for too much like more than he is paid right now, then I think we can keep him for ST and #3 WR.

The rest will be tested in the training camp...

We need to draft good OT, WR, and TE....

This is something you wait until training camp to do. I don't think there's much question that Jacoby won't be back. You're left with Thompson, Mellette, and maybe Doss. Why cut them now? They're all cheap labor in NFL terms. If they don't work out in training camp, you cut them at little to no cost.

Doss isn't under our control, I don't think, since we cut him and brought him back.  He's an URFA

Doss isn't under our control, I don't think, since we cut him and brought him back.  He's an URFA

That's why I threw the maybe in front of him.  Even if we bring him back, it's going to be for very cheap with little, if any, guaranteed money.

Yes, it's time to cut ties with all of these underachievers. We need to learn our lesson and stop taking guys in the middle rounds and hoping our horrible coaches can develop them. We have never developed a mid round-late round WR... EVER!!!! Marlon is the closest, and he is far from a complete receiver. Its partly the players and partly the coaches.... But I think it's time to move on. There is a plethora of talent at the WR position in the draft, and we could defiantly use an upgrade.

After watching the whole offense go down the tube including the OL, RBs, QB, and WRs, I think it's more of a coaching problem.

After watching the whole offense go down the tube including the OL, RBs, QB, and WRs, I think it's more of a coaching problem.

If the offensive line is a bust, the team is a bust. Everything starts with the front five. They suck the whole team sucks.

With all due respect, this post is absurd! How long did it take 1st round pick Mike Crabtree to become a stud? You don't just cut your whole offense. Once the O-line is fixed the Wr will look better. When you have no run game, it's not hard for the D to know what is coming at them!

I get what your saying to a point but:

The Oline can only be blamed for so much. a good portion of those sacks Flacco got were coverage sacks, which means even when the Oline held up, which I admitt was not as often as they should, the WR were still not getting open, causing Flacco to eat it or throw up picks. And as much as I would love to agree with you about Crabtree, lets not forget hes not doing it all on his own. Vernon Davis is one of if not the most dangerous vertical TEs in the game, Gore can be even more of a threat on the ground, Bodlin can still win one on ones even in tight coverage, and Kap can freeze any defense with his legs. So im sorry but your logic is a bit off. If Crabtree was the only consistent weapon on that team, the 49ers would not be in the playoffs.

Whoever is brought in, the play-calling has to improve. PFF just released an article on screens during the regular season. The team got 102 yards off RB screens, good for a respectable 13th. How did they do in WR yards? An embarrassing 34th out of 38 QBs that threw the rock. The team got 24 screen yards from WRs. 

Torrey isn't a YAC beast like Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant but he's more than capable of picking up yards after the catch. Same goes Jacoby and even Marlon.   

So in this thread's logic:

1) We are cutting every WR on the team

2) Trading with SF to get Boldin back

3) Keeping Doss

Most of these players were on the team last year (Brown is the exception). We cut a number of WR this pre-season, Streeter being one.

To effectively dispatch our entire WR corps we would need money. We are already struggling with the cap. What is the proposal? Cut all of the WR, turn away Leach, Koch, and Suggs and use the money to bring in a new group.

Save the drastic cuts. Invest in the offensive line and see what this useless WR are capable of when their QB has a solid pocket to throw from. Forget all about the impact the O Line will have on the running game. From a solid running threat we develop a nasty play action pass.

Or just fire the entire WR group and hope that the table scrap group we bring in is better.

.....continue wasting band width here.......

Im looking and....................nope, no where in the threat was it mentioned to release ALL our WRs, just the ones not named Marlon Brown and Torrey Smith. I can understand the OLine issue but to a certain extent. I can even understand the coaches being to blame but when you go a whole season and almost every game you hear a commentator mention how the WRs don't get separation, sometimes you just have to come to terms that the bench players and reserve guys are not doing their job. 2014 is loaded with WR talent all over the board and honestly, we can find another return man, a #2, and potentially a cheap #4 and #5 in FA. We need to stop kicking the dead horse, these guys shine for a game or two and then go stat AWOL afterwards. Sorry but cannot see your point on this one.

The point is financially this idea will not work. How do you realistically expect to dismiss the majority of our WR corp and pay for it? Who are you going to bring in to do better? An entire rookie class consisting of players deeper and deeper in the draft? Can't afford a big name WR and additional replacements. Would like to see these drastic ideas discussed with some realization that financially they can not be done.

Agreed- the post did mention saving Brown and Smith. This board is unglued with inane ideas of drastic cuts and firings right now. We are not even dethroned yet as reigning SUPER BOWL champs, and fan after fan is calling for gutting the team.

Remain calm, accept a bad season, and trust that it is not the norm. Drastic measures like the one outlined in this point just are not the Raven's way.

Does that explain my intention?

I would love to see Jacoby stay and try to keep consistent targets for Joe .  I would love for the fo to  get Boldin back , if he agrees to it. IF ozzie is going to use a high pick not a developmental wideout then why not trim the fat . if he is going to draft more ir players no thanks . how about new coaches . wr;s has been an issue for a very long time we are atrocious at developing young wideouts

Thats the thing though, a lot of these guys are not rookies, they were here last year and still had the same issues. Doss dropped passes in the SB, Deonte cannot seem to stay off IR, and Jones is a big play threat but compared to the production he provides outside of KR and PR, its not worth his current salary. Besides, De'Anthony Thomas could drop to us in the draft and he would be much cheaper and younger, and faster then our own dragonfly.

Whoever is brought in, the play-calling has to improve. PFF just released an article on screens during the regular season. The team got 102 yards off RB screens, good for a respectable 13th. How did they do in WR yards? An embarrassing 34th out of 38 QBs that threw the rock. The team got 24 screen yards from WRs. 

Torrey isn't a YAC beast like Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant but he's more than capable of picking up yards after the catch. Same goes Jacoby and even Marlon.

Jeremy Macklin could be a cheap choice since he is coming off of injury. He is a solid WR that can excel off screens, crossing routes, and the deep 9. Having him and Torrey as our 1 and 2, along with JJ, Marlon, and potentially a draft pick player as our slot guy would give us a serious boost.

Would like to see us draft Mike Evans or even Sammy Watkins, though the latter is more doubtful to be available at our position. If we got Evans, he could be the answer at our third swinging door receiving spot, and he adds something different than the skillset speedsters like Jacoby and Torrey have. We need a possession receiver.

Jeremy Macklin could be a cheap choice since he is coming off of injury. He is a solid WR that can excel off screens, crossing routes, and the deep 9. Having him and Torrey as our 1 and 2, along with JJ, Marlon, and potentially a draft pick player as our slot guy would give us a serious boost.

Word is Maclin is heading back to Philly.

Thats the thing though, a lot of these guys are not rookies, they were here last year and still had the same issues. Doss dropped passes in the SB, Deonte cannot seem to stay off IR, and Jones is a big play threat but compared to the production he provides outside of KR and PR, its not worth his current salary. Besides, De'Anthony Thomas could drop to us in the draft and he would be much cheaper and younger, and faster then our own dragonfly.

this post is not going to go over well  but here goes. I do not trust the fo to draft a  top wide receiver . aren't we up to like 20 and torrey had his first 1000 pus year, and no one else has. doss I think we can let go . I would like to see Mellette see what he has. I also think we need better coaches  wr and oc . cam was here  the offense was plain vanilla conservative, we change to caldwell and get the same thing how is that even possible. Look at how  the niners use boldin,,,, Jacoby is a favorite of mine but if we can find a better returner cheaper perhaps one with better hands,, then I'm all for it  we definitely have to resign Pitta . we saw life without him. this is my first year not following college and I'm not up to speed with options. but will ozzie pick the one who can start day one or one we have to stash on ir  like all the rest.  

I get what your saying to a point but:

The Oline can only be blamed for so much. a good portion of those sacks Flacco got were coverage sacks, which means even when the Oline held up, which I admitt was not as often as they should, the WR were still not getting open, causing Flacco to eat it or throw up picks. And as much as I would love to agree with you about Crabtree, lets not forget hes not doing it all on his own. Vernon Davis is one of if not the most dangerous vertical TEs in the game, Gore can be even more of a threat on the ground, Bodlin can still win one on ones even in tight coverage, and Kap can freeze any defense with his legs. So im sorry but your logic is a bit off. If Crabtree was the only consistent weapon on that team, the 49ers would not be in the playoffs.

My logic is Run the ball better to open up the pass! I just used Crab as an example!

At times coverage sacks may have occurred this year, they occur with every team, however " the old WR separation " thing has been beaten to death by Fans on here for the last few years.

The real problem was and still is play-calling, players have to be put in positions to succeed. Coaches have to adjust schemes and play-calling to their WRs strengths and talents. Example for years Cam Cameron took D.Mason, A.Boldin and forced them to run constant streaks, 10 yd curls and digs with little speed to threaten the DBs they just sat on those routes. Even this year we lacked creativity in play-calling anytime Torrey smith caught a crossing route he took it 10-25 yds yet we rarely called them, no pick or rub routes, quick slants to soften the underneath coverage.

The patriots and Chargers don't have any speed WRs to "create separation" but they run various route combinations to free guys up underneath or over the middle.

With all the new nfl rules to protect WRs, lack of contact the no separation thing is silly.

Torrey Smith is blazing fast but send him down field on the same 2 or 3 routes streak, curl, dig without putting him in motion or line up in different areas and it becomes harder to get him open.

As for the other WRs:

I previously stated I don't want the team to tie down serious money to Jacoby as a WR anything he is given should be on the strength of him being a ST player first and part time WR second. Jacoby is a playmaker for us but he isn't a consistent receiving threat.

Brown has always been a talented player but while in college he was constantly injured, he became a solid contributor for us and I believe he can become even better next year as redzone target and mid-field option over the middle.

Doss had his moments this year and he did fizzle out as you said, so he is back to square one competing for a job.

Thompson is potential that we may never see, an ankle injury lingers for 6 or 7 weeks upon coming back another injury setback seems to just be the story for him.

This is a great point, it goes right with my thoughts on lack of creativity and route combinations to get the players in position to succeed. We don't do many WR screens and when we did it seemed to be at odd moments over thrown or something.

Smoke screens or down field pick plays are easy ways to get the ball into a WR hands quickly and allow them to just gain yards.

It's like we get a glimpse of Torrey's ability with rare crossing routes go for big yards then it takes another 2 games before we see that again.

The coaches could use Torrey in a variety of ways similar to how Desean Jackson is used, or Antonio Brown. They are put in motion at times to create mismatches lined up in the slot motion to the slot, screens, slants, crosses, run-routes, double moves. Using more underneath routes would eventually cause defense to focus on that Torrey can go deep.

At times it seems we do the opposite we go deep, go deep then finally something short.

But if these theoretical new guys can't run block well...they are no more qualified IMO to be a Raven. We saw what happen when the steelers went all speed guys and forgoed run blocking receivers.

Deonte never was placed on I.R he had some injuries this year but never was on I.R and Doss didn't drop a passes in the SB I thought that was the playoff game against the colts but any way . I don't think Deonte injury or Doss drop passes should be enough discredit the fact that none of our receivers were used in a way that suit  there strength consistently .

But if these theoretical new guys can't run block well...they are no more qualified IMO to be a Raven. We saw what happen when the steelers went all speed guys and forgoed run blocking receivers.

What happened?

I am anxious to see Aaron Mellette get back on the field.

I don't know why anyone considers Mellette to be a viable WR in our lineup... maybe as a #4? 

Was he good in the pre-season? Yes. Good enough to be a starter? Far from it.

Ozzie needs to ditch his reputation of drafting expendable 4th,5th,6th round offensive skill players that never do anything and always just have "potential." We NEED a dependable star WR who can come in and start Day 1 opposite Torrey. Brown will develop into a fine WR2 Talent but we need a guy like Mike Evans who can come in and dominate. If you want to open up the pass, you need someone to actually catch those passes.and be a dominant talent.

Point is, I realllly don't want to see Ozzie bring in some third rate trash "talent" who can't stay healthy or ball this off season. 

I don't know why anyone considers Mellette to be a viable WR in our lineup... maybe as a #4? 

Was he good in the pre-season? Yes. Good enough to be a starter? Far from it.

Ozzie needs to ditch his reputation of drafting expendable 4th,5th,6th round offensive skill players that never do anything and always just have "potential." We NEED a dependable star WR who can come in and start Day 1 opposite Torrey. Brown will develop into a fine WR2 Talent but we need a guy like Mike Evans who can come in and dominate. If you want to open up the pass, you need someone to actually catch those passes.and be a dominant talent.

Point is, I realllly don't want to see Ozzie bring in some third rate trash "talent" who can't stay healthy or ball this off season. 

If you think Mike Evans will come in and dominate you're sadly mistaken. Sorry!

If you think Mike Evans will come in and dominate you're sadly mistaken. Sorry!

He's got the physical tools, what exactly would limit him? Plus it's not exactly limited to him, there's a few receivers that are worthy of top 15 picks.

He's got the physical tools, what exactly would limit him? Plus it's not exactly limited to him, there's a few receivers that are worthy of top 15 picks.

Head to the draft boards and read up on what a lot of people are saying.  To spare tons of writing and to not make this thread totally about the draft, he's very raw.  He needs a lot of improvement in route running.  He's not all that fast.  While he's physical, most of his plays are downfield and size may not win him those match ups in the NFL.

His quickness and speed would limit him, in my opinion. 

But hey, there are a lot of receivers out there that could help.

Word is Maclin is heading back to Philly.

Both Maclin and Cooper? I'm sure both will be wanting sizable contracts, so I sort of expected Philly to only retain one of them.

Both Maclin and Cooper? I'm sure both will be wanting sizable contracts, so I sort of expected Philly to only retain one of them.

Just Maclin from what I have heard, but I did read that Cooper wants to go back too. I don't think either will be able to command that big of a contract. Maclin has dealt with injuries throughout his career and Cooper hadn't done much at all until this season.

Torrey Smith,Kenny Britt(would be 2014's Daryl Smith),Marlon Brown,Cody Hoffman(a second round pick),Aaron Mellette and Deonte Thompson.That needs to be our wr corp next year.It probably wont happen,but if it did,our wr corp would rival Denver's and Atl's.

If Britt bucks his ideas up and gets his head down he's be a great asset.

He might be worth taking a flier on but he hasn't looked the same since his ACL tear in '11. 

He might be worth taking a flier on but he hasn't looked the same since his ACL tear in '11.

Britt wouldn't be bad on a 1 year, prove it deal. Maybe like a Rolando McClain type contract. I'd be open to it.

If you continue to throw deep one can't blame the OLine all the time. You have between 4 and 6 seconds to get rid of the ball and when you do not use screens or quick slants the defense just whales at you and the rush is just to great. No Flacco needs to throw short quick passes to off set a pass rush. Look at FS last night. The reason they won was because the QB changed up and started throwing short. Their rac was amazing and in the end it was the short game that won it for them

I'm sorry the main reason why our wideouts couldn't get separation was because our offensive coordinator suck when it came to calling creative or non predictable passing plays. Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones, Tandon Doss, and Deonte Thompson in my opinion would have been much better  if our offensive coordinator would had called better passing plays.

This is absolutely the major reason in my opinion. I know you never want penalties, but I can't remember if the Ravens got an offensive pass interference call this year. I say this because if we did, it would probably mean the offensive scheme was attempting to run those "pick" or "rub" plays, showing that the scheme was at least trying to get guys open. I can't stand the deep throws for the sake of throwing deep anymore. IMO torrey smith can be an amazing YAC guy, thinking back to that Bengals game i believe his rookie year when he caught a slant and Pacman jones barely brought smith down by his dreds. Torrey split the corner and safety there and nearly turned a 7 yard slant into a like 60 yard TD catch. The scheme of just have Torrey run downfield into double coverage will not be successful.

A true number 1 can play all over the field, Dez bryant, Calvin Johnson...guys like that spend time in the slot as well as the outside. I really do believe Torrey is an athletic freak who can highpoint the ball when given a chance, but he also has the speed to turn 5 yard catches into huge yards after the catch, but the scheme does not allow for this. Its just so hard to make an argument anymore for the lack of talent at WR when other teams have been able to create offensive schemes to maximize the talent they have. I mean the redskins, browns, falcons...all these teams had arguably better passing attacks than the Ravens and those teams dont exactly have the best weapons. Redskins dont have much, browns dont have much with the exception of gordon and cameron, and the falcons had julio jones out for most of the season and roddy white was constantly injured. The Ravens need a new scheme, a new offensive philosophy, and a new and innovative coach to lead that movement. I think with smith, brown, thompson, possibly jones/doss, mellete, and a draft pick, this receiving corps can succeed with the right scheme and play calling