Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ravens533

James Ihedigbo got fined for that hit - $15,750

32 posts in this topic

I am starting this topic just so James knows that the fans support him. He really needs to appeal that fine. He hit Marvin Jones with his shoulder. We all saw it on replay. Why did the NFL fine him? He did a great job with that hit. Appeal it and hope you can win it.

He has been good in the secondary all year. Hope he can come back.

I was upset it was flagged, and even more so that he got fined. It's like the NFL is saying no more violent hits, regardless of if it's head to head or leading with the crown. It was just a really hard but clean hit..

So dig gets fined for hitting a guy in the shoulder, while the guy from the Lions doesn't get fined at all for hitting Joe low?

Roger Goodell has to go. He has single handedly turned the game I love into crap. That was a terrible call and cost us on the field. There is no reason or explanation for why it cost Digs off the field besides a greedy commissioner. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

The other thing that gets me angry about that is that the official threw the flag about one second before Digs hit the player legally.

The officiating this year has been the worst I've ever witnessed. I'm not surprised...

Seems like every year, we keep saying this.

They've got too many rules now. trying to make the game "safer" and that's part of what's made the officiating worse overall.

This fine is even more of a joke than the flag was.

So dig gets fined for hitting a guy in the shoulder, while the guy from the Lions doesn't get fined at all for hitting Joe low?

Yeah, makes one wonder if all the conspiracy feelings are justified at times.

I see how the NFL is constructed now a days. After that concussion law suite the NFL is basically handing out fines like they are playing with monopoly money. They say the money goes to charity, but I have my doubts. To me this is close to being a criminal act.

seems as if even the officials don't know what's legal and what's not

Well, it's not just the officials. The League chimed in and fined him too.

I have to tell you, if that play is not legal in the NFL, I have to SERIOUSLY consider bidding adieu to the NFL. 

Digger timed that hit to post possession and drove the receiver out of bounds so that he could not get his feet down. He used out of bounds to nullify the play.  There was no head to head and it was necessary to break up the play.  If the fine stands at this point I'll likely not devote the time and energy to a league that is in complete disarray.

Personally, I think its time for a rival league. A new league that does not allow blatant head to head's on defenseless receivers but provides modern equipment for it's players and negotiates contracts with clear language to participate they assume the risk of concussions which are not clear infractions.

If the fine stands, I'll try to convince as many people as possible to join a "fishing league" as well.  Fall fishing is beautiful, fun and the guy that sells you the fishing gear can't take it away from you at his whim.

I have to tell you, if that play is not legal in the NFL, I have to SERIOUSLY consider bidding adieu to the NFL. 

Digger timed that hit to post possession and drove the receiver out of bounds so that he could not get his feet down. He used out of bounds to nullify the play.  There was no head to head and it was necessary to break up the play.  If the fine stands at this point I'll likely not devote the time and energy to a league that is in complete disarray.

Personally, I think its time for a rival league. A new league that does not allow blatant head to head's on defenseless receivers but provides modern equipment for it's players and negotiates contracts with clear language to participate they assume the risk of concussions which are not clear infractions.

If the fine stands, I'll try to convince as many people as possible to join a "fishing league" as well.  Fall fishing is beautiful, fun and the guy that sells you the fishing gear can't take it away from you at his whim.

epic post I love it. the players get paid allot of money to play this game. they know going into it that it is a violent sport. that flag was bogus and I thought he made a great play.

I'd like to know how the league comes up with the figures for fines.  I'd like to see their list of penalties and associated fines.  Is there such an animal?

I'd like to know how the league comes up with the figures for fines.  I'd like to see their list of penalties and associated fines.  Is there such an animal?

Goodell flips a coin to decide whether or not a player will be fined for a controversial play. Then, he spins a wheel similar to the one used on The Price is Right to decide the amount of money the player will be fined.

This is baffling.  He was punished because he "struck a defenseless player with the crown of his helmet."  I thought it was clear in the replay that it was a solid shoulder hit.

I have a few feelings on this, so I'll point form them.

In terms of the play itself, I remember seeing the replay more than a few times and Ihedigbo's head is what leads.  It was the correct call by the officials, regardless of the strike zone you can never lead with your lid.  Now having said that if someone provides a video showing the contrary I'll gladly recant my point.

To the second, I feel more interesting point, is that of the second league with clearly defined language based on the assumption of risk as I feel this is the defining point for the direction the NFL has taken.  No real, traditionalist football fan likes Goodell, they just simple can't.  The game has changed more in 8 years than it has in about 40 prior to that.  I miss the days when QBs were penalized with their WR getting annihilated over the middle because of a horse crap pass.  Now it's 15 yards and you're rewarded for trying to fit that ball in all the while the QB knows his WR will get killed.  That irks me to no end.  However, like all commissioners in sports, he operates the league to the wishes of team owners.  Gary Bettman is the same way, I can tell you that guy has done more to change the actual game of hockey than any single commissioner of any sport ever, but he grows the sport and keeps owners money safe.  Goodell is the same way, after owners and the NFL were dinged in the concussion law suites you think owners were going to tell Goodell to keep the game the same way?  Not a chance.  It's business.  However football players, I feel, would  still sign a professional (we'll just say NFL for the sake of it) contract if it was clearly defined that major injury was very likely.  Most of these guys just feel they're born to play the game, their skill set is too great and the payout too great.

However I'll present an alternate view, that of the players being used essentially like race horses, as soon as they are no longer of use they're taken out back and shot.  When teams squeeze out as much as they can, they just dump them to the ground, regardless if the player still has a standing contract.  No other sport in the ENTIRE WORLD does this.  The NFLPA has to be one of the biggest jokes of a union on the face of planet Earth.  Do we really dare to presume that NFL owners can't afford the salaries baseball or hockey hand out that are all FULLY guaranteed (realize baseball has no cap but hockey does have one)?  Or do billionaire owners not owe it to players to at least try to keep them safe in some capacity? Considering the money they make off their bodies? Especially if rule changes can be applied to make the game safer when it comes to brain injuries?

Agreed that the Players Union is not an independent union at all.  It is a conduit for the owners wishes. The players union actually pays half of the referee salaries. That's how lopsided the negotiation has been. Does the Players Union get to determine Rule Revisions?  Not hardly, that is done by the League, why should the Players pay for the League Instructed Referees?  Hopefully that illustration helps the less fortunate here.  

Unions have been busted across the Nation and the NFL Players Union is a joke. What is needed to correct the inequities is to abolish the salary cap, but the propaganda used by the Have's has been very effective upon the masses. They don't even realize they've been "socialized". 

Clearly, salaries have developed to less than fully guaranteed in the NFL due to the risk of injury. Players need to understand all they will receive is the "guarantee money".  Everything else they "negotiate" is vapor.

Agreed that like thoroughbreds, the players are tools for the owners and they have no problem with replacing them when they are used up. The League has some interest in player safety, but not to the extent they advertise.  The League's primary focus is profit and to avoid lawsuits. Teams too, we saw how Keenan Allen and Jamaal Charles were kept out of play Saturday.

Disagree on the Digger play, as previously stated, I'm about done with the NFL.  If the Raven's were heading in the right direction it would be tempting to stay tuned, but they are clearly heading in the wrong way.

I have a few feelings on this, so I'll point form them.

In terms of the play itself, I remember seeing the replay more than a few times and Ihedigbo's head is what leads.  It was the correct call by the officials, regardless of the strike zone you can never lead with your lid.  Now having said that if someone provides a video showing the contrary I'll gladly recant my point.

To the second, I feel more interesting point, is that of the second league with clearly defined language based on the assumption of risk as I feel this is the defining point for the direction the NFL has taken.  No real, traditionalist football fan likes Goodell, they just simple can't.  The game has changed more in 8 years than it has in about 40 prior to that.  I miss the days when QBs were penalized with their WR getting annihilated over the middle because of a horse crap pass.  Now it's 15 yards and you're rewarded for trying to fit that ball in all the while the QB knows his WR will get killed.  That irks me to no end.  However, like all commissioners in sports, he operates the league to the wishes of team owners.  Gary Bettman is the same way, I can tell you that guy has done more to change the actual game of hockey than any single commissioner of any sport ever, but he grows the sport and keeps owners money safe.  Goodell is the same way, after owners and the NFL were dinged in the concussion law suites you think owners were going to tell Goodell to keep the game the same way?  Not a chance.  It's business.  However football players, I feel, would  still sign a professional (we'll just say NFL for the sake of it) contract if it was clearly defined that major injury was very likely.  Most of these guys just feel they're born to play the game, their skill set is too great and the payout too great.

However I'll present an alternate view, that of the players being used essentially like race horses, as soon as they are no longer of use they're taken out back and shot.  When teams squeeze out as much as they can, they just dump them to the ground, regardless if the player still has a standing contract.  No other sport in the ENTIRE WORLD does this.  The NFLPA has to be one of the biggest jokes of a union on the face of planet Earth.  Do we really dare to presume that NFL owners can't afford the salaries baseball or hockey hand out that are all FULLY guaranteed (realize baseball has no cap but hockey does have one)?  Or do billionaire owners not owe it to players to at least try to keep them safe in some capacity? Considering the money they make off their bodies? Especially if rule changes can be applied to make the game safer when it comes to brain injuries?

Goodell and the NFL don't care about knees .. They only care about high hits and concussions.

Agree 100%. All of the rules are taking the game out of control of players and puts it in the hands of refs. Just like, and I hate to get political but, sacrificing freedom for security leaves one with neither security or freedom. Won't be long before we watch the NFL like we watch, ugh, WWE. Already they collude to "get the call right" just to make a bone headed decision that forces us, the fans in the stands, to chant "Bull stuff"

I can't understand him being fined for that hit.

That was a possible touchdown saver, and I didnt see the helmet hit the reciever whatsoever.

To me that is exactly how football should be played!

intersting, so one hit almost ends a franchise QB season or even career, and the other hit is legal, and u fine us but no the lions player, wow, r we the step child in league , gosh what a disrespect,