Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arnie_uk

RB coach Wilbert Montgomery leaving

82 posts in this topic

“Wilbert has decided to pursue other coaching and life opportunities,” Harbaugh said

Sounds to me like it was mutual and that Wilbert has another job he's after. Solid RB coach who served the Ravens well though, that's for sure. 

Fall guy. Plain and simple. Apparently there are still teams interested in Caldwell and Castillo. If they don't get hired elsewhere they could be gone too.

“Wilbert has decided to pursue other coaching and life opportunities,” Harbaugh said

Sounds to me like it was mutual and that Wilbert has another job he's after. Solid RB coach who served the Ravens well though, that's for sure. 

I hope this is true and I'm sure we will hear nothing different ,thanks for everything Coach I myself hope your not being used as a scapegoat!!! Castillo needs to be shown the door asap.

I hope this is true and I'm sure we will hear nothing different ,thanks for everything Coach I myself hope your not being used as a scapegoat!!! Castillo needs to be shown the door asap.

You mean Castillo should have been shown the door yesterday.

If this is the only release...Castillo needs to go..and to think i was excited about him coming in before the season started..

This reminds me of when they fired Zorn and kept Cam...

And why did that happen? Because Cam was one of Harbaugh's best buds. So is Castillo.

Apparently Castillo is still highly regarded on staff. He's drawing interest from other teams though via Aaron Wilson's twitter.

Apparently Castillo is still highly regarded on staff. He's drawing interest from other teams though via Aaron Wilson's twitter.

Good.

Yep!  But the last part concerns me

Juan Castillo is drawing interest from other NFL teams, per a source, and is still highly regarded Still on the staff.

Apparently, it was his choice...  he is taking on a job that is less demanding and he'll be able to spend more time with family as well.

If this is the only release...Castillo needs to go..and to think i was excited about him coming in before the season started..

Call me an optimist, but I don't think he'll be the only one who goes this offseason. I can't see us making a flurry of personnel changes (unlike a certain team in Ohio), but I do think the FO knows something big needs to happen. Wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting to see what was happening re Caldwell and Castillo.

Then again, I don't think our rushing problems really stemmed from our RBs techniques. I could well see Montgomery being a scapegoat or him just being sick of working as an RBs coach. There's a lot going on that we don't know about.

VontaLeach44 ‏@vleach44
I hate it for coach that he looks like the fall guy for our running game problems. Coach have had pro bowlers for years in the backfield.

Vonta not happy.

Call me an optimist, but I don't think he'll be the only one who goes this offseason. I can't see us making a flurry of personnel changes (unlike a certain team in Ohio), but I do think the FO knows something big needs to happen. Wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting to see what was happening re Caldwell and Castillo.

Then again, I don't think our rushing problems really stemmed from our RBs techniques. I could well see Montgomery being a scapegoat or him just being sick of working as an RBs coach. There's a lot going on that we don't know about.

I actually can agree with this right now. With other teams interested in Castillo & Caldwell, no need to let them go until you see if that pans out. 

Only thing that concerns me is if all the good candidates to replace them will be snatched up before we can make a move.

VontaLeach44 ‏@vleach44
I hate it for coach that he looks like the fall guy for our running game problems. Coach have had pro bowlers for years in the backfield.

Vonta not happy.

Hegonetoo

I actually can agree with this right now. With other teams interested in Castillo & Caldwell, no need to let them go until you see if that pans out. 

Only thing that concerns me is if all the good candidates to replace them will be snatched up before we can make a move.

Tbh the only guy I'd like to see brought in as an OC at this point is Chudzinski. Wouldn't be opposed to Norv at all, but it sounds like Cleveland's waiting to see what the new boss thinks of him before dipping into their supplies of pink paper again.

And if they do hire McDaniel and target Manziel in the draft, I could see them moving on from Norv too. I understand your point, but I don't think we need to stress just yet.

Tbh the only guy I'd like to see brought in as an OC at this point is Chudzinski. Wouldn't be opposed to Norv at all, but it sounds like Cleveland's waiting to see what the new boss thinks of him before dipping into their supplies of pink paper again.

And if they do hire McDaniel and target Manziel in the draft, I could see them moving on from Norv too. I understand your point, but I don't think we need to stress just yet.

tbh we had Cam for too long. I get my hopes up during our post season run when we were actually creative, players were used properly, it was awesome. Then this year, back to Cam calls. Can't figure it out but we need a real live OC in here.

Please God, let that be true.

More changes to Ravens' staff likely, but nothing final yet, per sources. Offensive side of ball expected to be impacted most heavily

I love Aaron Wilson's anonymous sources. I hate getting hit with big team changes out of the blue.

Exactly. It's really hard to try to understand the inner dealings of the franchise. Montgomery looks like the scapegoat but who really knows?

Chud to my understand runs a offense just as similar to the one the ravens ran last year and this  goes for Norv as well. I know they better play callers but it's getting tiresome to see vertical routes used 90% of the time

VontaLeach44 ‏@vleach44

Vonta not happy.

Hegonetoo

Yep!  No one puts Leach in a doghouse. 

We could run the ball with Montgomery for years and then Castillo comes in 1 season and we can't run the ball worth a damn for an entire season.  And Montgomery is leaving?  Wow!  It may be his decision to leave but Castillo needs to be FIRED!!  Smh!

#Mili

Chud to my understand runs a offense just as similar to the one the ravens ran last year and this  goes for Norv as well. I know they better play callers but it's getting tiresome to see vertical routes used 90% of the time

Personally I don't mind the system, and if we go for another Air Coryell kinda guy then that'll make the transition easier. It's just the playcalling and personnel I'm not satisfied with.

The playcalling's an easy one - just bring in a different guy who can make better calls based on what how the game's gone and what kind of situation you're in.

However, I really think the personnel is something we're missing. Earlier in the week someone posted a quality article on how the Air Coryell works, and when you look at the plays and the key principles of it, we still have some big missing pieces. The idea is to stretch the field vertically, but to stretch them you need some guys who are better at the short and intermediate routes than the guys we have. You also need to use the deep "home run" plays more sparingly than once a drive (which comes back to the caller).

But we need to be able to run those 15-yard routes so the defence doesn't get comfortable and start dropping deep safeties on every play. Jacoby's good, but he's likely gone next year (love the guy, but I suspect he'll be a cap casualty) and Marlon isn't too flash with his routes just yet. The point is that the system's struggling to work with what we have and that's huge for any OC.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that because we've probably gone far enough off topic. Feel free to quote this in one of the OC threads or take it up in PM. But the bottom line is that, like I said on the first page, I think staff changes are coming. I'd like to stick to our offensive philosophy, but we need better components to make it work.

VontaLeach44 ‏@vleach44

Vonta not happy.

He can whine all he wants, he won't be on the team next year.

More changes to Ravens' staff likely, but nothing final yet, per sources. Offensive side of ball expected to be impacted most heavily

Hostler needs to be next.  Hopefully someone else hires Caldwell and Castillo.  Wouldn't mind jettisoning Moeller either.

He can whine all he wants, he won't be on the team next year.

Hostler needs to be next.  Hopefully someone else hires Caldwell and Castillo.  Wouldn't mind jettisoning Moeller either.

Blow it up and restart on offensive coaches basically?  I'm on board.

I've ignored it before but, if Castillo stays, then it's clear that Harbaugh protects his friends.  I've been liking the guy less and less each year.  Unfortunately I can't tell if our success has anything to do with him or not.

Blow it up and restart on offensive coaches basically?  I'm on board.

After that massive failure this last season, it's not the worst idea.

Blow it up and restart on offensive coaches basically? I'm on board.

We let go the one coach on offense I wanted to keep. -_-

After that massive failure this last season, it's not the worst idea.

What can it hurt?  I don't see anyone worth keeping at this point.

We let go the one coach on offense I wanted to keep. -_-

Yeah Montgomery was clearly the scapegoat here.  A guy that had fantastic RB's for 5 straight seasons under Harbaugh doesn't suddenly lose his touch.

Earnest Byner just got let go during the bucs coach cleanup....might he be a viable RB coach? 

Earnest Byner just got let go during the bucs coach cleanup....might he be a viable RB coach? 

Is he Harbaugh's friend?

The unfortunate scapegoat to ensure Juan Castillo stays. This kind of game is going to get John Harbaugh fired soon...

The unfortunate scapegoat to ensure Juan Castillo stays. This kind of game is going to get John Harbaugh fired soon...

We've got another two years of Harbaugh, at least.

I don't think this is Harbaugh - he brought Wilbert in originally. Might this be Caldwell filling in his staff? Or Wilbert really just leaving for something else? Don't know, can't judge.

Either way, sad to see him go. Our RBs, outside of this year, were pretty consistently great with him.

The idea is to stretch the field vertically, but to stretch them you need some guys who are better at the short and intermediate routes than the guys we have. You also need to use the deep "home run" plays more sparingly than once a drive (which comes back to the caller).

But we need to be able to run those 15-yard routes so the defence doesn't get comfortable and start dropping deep safeties on every play. 

Yes, this right here is the key. The Air Coryell System in and of itself it pretty solid in theory. Run the ball effectively, throw some short/intermediate routes for completions, and THEN try and hit the home run play. Far too many times we go for the home run on 1st and 2nd down and find ourselves in 3rd and 10 with terrible odds to convert the down, and zero confidence to do so.