Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rmw10

Ravens can control Jimmy Smith for 2 more years, not 1

27 posts in this topic

Good news in Ravens land!  It looks like the Ravens will have the option to wait on Jimmy's contract for 1 more year if they so choose.  I'll spare you the details and have you read the below article from Brian McFarland.  If there's one guy I trust to get all of this stuff right regarding cap and contracts, it's Brian.

http://russellstreetreport.com/cba-allows-ravens-to-control-j-smith-for-5th-season/

Steep price to pay. You'd have to assume he'd be then cut or extended

Expensive, no doubt.  But if Torrey doesn't get extended, this basically gives another "franchise tag" to give us another year of control.

I don't see that happening tbh. 8M is a lot.

Webb is getting paid $10M and Jimmy played better than him this year, if he continues to grow then 8M could be peanuts in two years time with the cap expected to move up

I don't see that happening tbh. 8M is a lot.

I'm going to open a can of worms here, but does anyone know the repercussions of releasing Webb?

The only reason I ask is because if we were ever in a position to choose between Webb and Jimmy, adios Webby.

I'm going to open a can of worms here, but does anyone know the repercussions of releasing Webb?

The only reason I ask is because if we were ever in a position to choose between Webb and Jimmy, adios Webby.

rumours circulating we coukd be extending him to reduce his cap number by 5 mil or so this year

rumours circulating we coukd be extending him to reduce his cap number by 5 mil or so this year

We'd save 5m this year .. But add close to 2m on the following 2-3 years. Which really isn't too steep a price to pay, if we could add some talent with that 5m.

They're talking about a restructure.  It would save $5M and increase his cap number by $1.7M in 2015, 2016, and 2017.  It's actually pretty manageable since most of his cap hit in those years in base salary, and not guaranteed bonus money.

Yep!  Adios!!

#Mili

I saw this too.  Restructuring him frees up around 5 or 6 and all it does is increase him cap number by 1.6 each year over the next 3 years.

If Jimmy continues to improve and play better than 2013 and Webb returns to his old form, we better make a move now to keep both of them; the sooner we deal with Jimmy and extending Webb, the better cap space we are looking at.  If we wait another year for Jimmy, he's going to be too expensive to afford if he has a breakout 2014 year.

If it comes down to choose between Webb and Jimmy, Jimmy will be the Ravens for life.  His technique and ball skills improve tremendously; with his body size and physicality, he will control his own island....

PS: We might have another clone of Chris McAlister........

Cornerbacks rarely stay on one team. Don't see him staying here forever.

All we need is his best 5 years; during that time, we should win 1-2 SBs.....

They're talking about a restructure.  It would save $5M and increase his cap number by $1.7M in 2015, 2016, and 2017.  It's actually pretty manageable since most of his cap hit in those years in base salary, and not guaranteed bonus money.

Yeah.  Almost certainly. 

And the other thing about Jimmy, and this is my only knock on him, he has trouble over the slot.  So if someone goes in motion he's a lot less effective.  Webb on the other hand can move around a lot more.

All we need is his best 5 years; during that time, we should win 1-2 SBs.....

should is the key word here lol 

But yeah 5 years is probably our best bet. Anyone remember Samari Rolle? 

lol Dominque Foxworth

should is the key word here lol 

But yeah 5 years is probably our best bet. Anyone remember Samari Rolle? 

lol Dominque Foxworth

We have stable FO, Coaching staffs, and QB; 1-2 SBs shouldn't be too much to ask.

Washington and Chris Carr looks so bad that Foxworth is the only option we went for during that time span, and Webb is still in developing.....

We have stable FO, Coaching staffs, and QB; 1-2 SBs shouldn't be too much to ask.

Washington and Chris Carr looks so bad that Foxworth is the only option we went for during that time span, and Webb is still in developing.....

I bet half the people on these boards don't even know who those dudes are. lol Those were the days.

I don't think it would be too bad, but Webb is still a very good corner. I don't think the FO would release him to create space to sign Jimmy.

8M is just a lot for a 1 year Tag.

I don't think it would be too bad, but Webb is still a very good corner. I don't think the FO would release him to create space to sign Jimmy.

It's a lot, but I think it would only come into play if we can't get Torrey signed to an extension before the deadline to pick up Jimmy's option.  Or you at least pick up the option and talk extension all year in hopes of getting something done with Jimmy before 2016 free agency.

It's a lot, but I think it would only come into play if we can't get Torrey signed to an extension before the deadline to pick up Jimmy's option. Or you at least pick up the option and talk extension all year in hopes of getting something done with Jimmy before 2016 free agency.

I doubt there is cap room to "Tag" both Smiths if neither has signed an extension. That's 20M between the two of them. Ideally one or both get extended now so its not an issue next off season.

I'm not really sure either is a tag-worthy player though.

I doubt there is cap room to "Tag" both Smiths if neither has signed an extension. That's 20M between the two of them. Ideally one or both get extended now so its not an issue next off season.

I'm not really sure either is a tag-worthy player though.

That's what I was referring to.  If Torrey gets his extension before we have to make a decision on Jimmy's option, then we don't go for that $8M.  If Torrey doesn't get the extension, I think you have to at least pick up the option on Jimmy so we don't have to technically deal with both in the same offseason.  It's not like picking up the $8M or so option means we're stuck with it.  That number goes away once we sign him to an extension.

Even if Torrey signs an extension and we have Jimmy under the tag, I'm willing to bet that Torrey's first year number is pretty low since we usually backload contracts.

That's what I was referring to. If Torrey gets his extension before we have to make a decision on Jimmy's option, then we don't go for that $8M. If Torrey doesn't get the extension, I think you have to at least pick up the option on Jimmy so we don't have to technically deal with both in the same offseason. It's not like picking up the $8M or so option means we're stuck with it. That number goes away once we sign him to an extension.

Even if Torrey signs an extension and we have Jimmy under the tag, I'm willing to bet that Torrey's first year number is pretty low since we usually backload contracts.

I still don't see where you are going with this. If Torrey is not extended I assume you mean hr should be Franchise Tagged in the offseason while we try to work out a deal? Or do you think we just let him walk?

If we let Torrry go I can see using this "tag" on Jimmy, but we still have to be able to fit it under the cap whether or not the plan is to sign him to a long term deal or not.

I still don't see where you are going with this. If Torrey is not extended I assume you mean hr should be Franchise Tagged in the offseason while we try to work out a deal? Or do you think we just let him walk?

If we let Torrry go I can see using this "tag" on Jimmy, but we still have to be able to fit it under the cap whether or not the plan is to sign him to a long term deal or not.

No franchise tag at all.  I'm operating under the assumption that Torrey will either get an extension before this season begins, or he'll be re-signed after next season.  I don't see him going anywhere.

If Torrey doesn't get the extension before the season begins, I think you have to use this "option tag" on Jimmy Smith.  That way, we still control Jimmy while we work on extensions for both he and Torrey.  However, because Jimmy is still under control, Torrey becomes the priority.

The cap will probably be tight, but at least we can have Jimmy under team control until we determine exactly how much cap space we have.  At this point, I'm assuming Ngata will be off of the books and possible some other guys as well.  It's looking a little far ahead, but I think you have to pick up Jimmy's "option tag" to play it safe.  If not, it's $8M that's not guaranteed and that gives us options via trade or cut if it really came down to it.

This isn't exactly the best thing to try to type out lol.

No franchise tag at all. I'm operating under the assumption that Torrey will either get an extension before this season begins, or he'll be re-signed after next season. I don't see him going anywhere.

If Torrey doesn't get the extension before the season begins, I think you have to use this "option tag" on Jimmy Smith. That way, we still control Jimmy while we work on extensions for both he and Torrey. However, because Jimmy is still under control, Torrey becomes the priority.

The cap will probably be tight, but at least we can have Jimmy under team control until we determine exactly how much cap space we have. At this point, I'm assuming Ngata will be off of the books and possible some other guys as well. It's looking a little far ahead, but I think you have to pick up Jimmy's "option tag" to play it safe. If not, it's $8M that's not guaranteed and that gives us options via trade or cut if it really came down to it.

This isn't exactly the best thing to try to type out lol.

OK I see what you mean. Torrey might hit FA and you are OK with that as long as he is the priority in contract negotiations. Jimmy will be guaranteed with thus tag and his deal can then be worked out at a later point.

OK I see what you mean. Torrey might hit FA and you are OK with that as long as he is the priority in contract negotiations. Jimmy will be guaranteed with thus tag and his deal can then be worked out at a later point.

Yep exactly.  The "option tag" just helps us out so we don't have to deal with 2 large contracts at once in a short period of time.

Yeah, in no way advocating releasing Webb (will reassess after next year); but if things go bad with extending Jimmy, and assuming that Jimmy continues playing on this level, if a choice had to be made, I'd take Jimmy. Actually, I would rather cut Suggs and keep them both.

If both Webb and Jimmy, have an up year at the same time that would be awesome.

I just wish I knew why Webb was so off this year.
I know he had some sort of a hernia but I don't think it was all season.

If this helps at all, I heard the cap space for 2015 was close to $40 million because guys like Suggs will no longer be on the roster with their massive cap hits, and their is a chance that a guy like Ngata gets cut if he under performs again, which would free up $8.5 million. It all depends on how the cable contracts boost the cap, but with today's cap number, the Ravens would have about $40 million.
Of course, they still need to sign a lot of players, but I don't think there should be a lot of worry about resigning Jimmy.