60 replies to this topic

#1 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:18 AM

So the way I see it, Free Safety is the position we will need to address with free agency.  I have two reasons for this assumption.

First, I suspect we go receiver with the first pick.  If we re-sign Pitta and Monroe then our biggest needs will be C, FS, WR, RT, TE in no specific order.  The only position out of those which is worth a 1st round would be receiver.  Considering we draft at 16/17, it is too high to use on most other positions in my opinion.  There are some great receivers in this draft and I think we could snag a great one with our pick.  Probably go TE/RT/C in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  

While going offense three straight rounds seems a bit much, we get Kapron Lewis Moore from injury which is like a free second round pick.

Secondly, we don't want a very young secondary.  Obviously we have some vets at the corner position, but pairing Elam and a rookie FS doesn't sit well with me.  I think it would be better to get a guy with experience rather than throw two young guys back there.  

With all that said.  Who is out there?

2yno6dx.png

#2 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

Kendrick Lewis is about the only affordable option, but the Chiefs might want him back because of that.  Chris Clemons would be too expensive, and I don't know why the Dolphins wouldn't bring him back.  There are a lot of swing safeties available, like Jim Leonhard and one of the kids from Carolina, but I'm not sure they put us in a better position than where we are now.  It'll be a tough year to get better at the safety position.

#3 NFLfan123

NFLfan123

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

There is also MD Jennings, Ryan Clark, and Brandon Merriweather. Antoine Bethea, TJ Ward, and Jarius Byrd are all prob out og the Ravens price range

2014 Oakland Raiders GM

2014 Buffalo Pirates GM

#4 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Coming off a season-ending injury and likely to be a salary dump, Daniel Manning could be worth considering. He'd be an ideal stop-gap. 

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#5 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

There is also MD Jennings, Ryan Clark, and Brandon Merriweather. Antoine Bethea, TJ Ward, and Jarius Byrd are all prob out og the Ravens price range

I would stop being a Ravens fan if we signed this <butt>hole!
Posted Image

#6 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Safety? I don't wanna talk about Safetys? Safetys?! I wanna just re-sign Art Jones! Don't talk to me about Safetys.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#7 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

I would stop being a Ravens fan if we signed this <butt>hole!

It would be very, very hard to watch the games. I can't stand him. People give Pollard crap for being a "dirty" player. This guy wrote the book on being a dirty player, Hines Ward wrote the forward, and then this guy dedicated the book to Suh.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#8 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

It would be very, very hard to watch the games. I can't stand him. People give Pollard crap for being a "dirty" player. This guy wrote the book on being a dirty player, Hines Ward wrote the forward, and then this guy dedicated the book to Suh.

Ha, well said.
Posted Image

#9 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

This UFA class sucks.

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Personally, I'm comfortable with bringing back Ihedigbo. I revert back to what Harbaugh said at his presser, the fact that nowadays Safeties are more interchangeable in where they can line up or end up. 

While I think everybody agrees that Elam is much better suited at SS, I mean the guy is a tackling machine when he's around the line of scrimmage. I think the problem is there is no solid FS out there and bringing back Diggs might be the only way to go. 

#11 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Restructure Webb release suggs and get BYRD and MACK as our FA signings.

Go big or go home. The draft is an uncertainty. BYRD AND MACK are not.

#12 LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

James Ihedigbo.

#13 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,490 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Ward is also a SS not a FS.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#14 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Is Omar Brown that bad now ? I remember him making a lot of plays.

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Is Omar Brown that bad now ? I remember him making a lot of plays.

If Omar Brown was someone they viewed as an answer, I'm sure he would have seen some time back there by now.

#16 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Restructure Webb release suggs and get BYRD and MACK as our FA signings.

Go big or go home. The draft is an uncertainty. BYRD AND MACK are not.

Who is Mack?

#17 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Who is Mack?

Alex Mack, Cleveland's Center. Has FS potential :P
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#18 blackandpurplesacks

blackandpurplesacks

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Just read on Rotoworld that Louis Delmas may not be coming back to the Lions next year, as they need to get under the cap. If he gets cut, could be someone we look at. Played 16 games this year for the first time in his career. May be priced out of our range though

#19 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing Lardarius tested out at FS if we can't find anyone suitable through free agency or the draft (though I don't particularly like the idea of him having to tackle players down the field).  He was pretty darn bad as a corner this year, he was beat numerous times on play-action passes and doesn't look anywhere near his 2011 form.

However, that move would leave us fairly light on corners, so we'd have to pick up one or two players there for insurance anyway, so it may be better to just look at people accustomed to playing FS.  It would also be really expensive to have him as FS, since generally safeties make a lot less than corners.

Edited by A Fish Called Yanda, 03 January 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#20 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing Lardarius tested out at FS (though I don't particularly like the idea of him having to tackle players down the field).  He was pretty darn bad as a corner this year, he was beat numerous times on play-action passes and doesn't look anywhere near his 2011 form.

However, that move would leave us fairly light on corners, so we'd have to pick up one or two players there for insurance anyway, so it may be better to just look at people accustomed to playing FS.

It's probably a move that should be considered if the Webb we saw last year is the Webb we'll get this year.  I'm not convinced it is, however.  He came back in less than a year from an ACL tear and had his obvious struggles coming back from that.  Then, later in the year, it was reported that he had been playing with a sports hernia, which I can imagine must feel very unpleasant.  In between all of this, he still had his games that were reminiscent of the Webb we signed to a big deal.  Moving him to FS is something that is probably worth considering, but I don't think we can make that move until he gets a chance to prove he's healthy and back to the Webb we're used to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users