Untitled Document
Preseason Schedule      Official Mobile App      @Ravens on Twitter      on Instagram   

Photo

Secondary

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 52N19

52N19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

"16t. Baltimore Ravens (pending coin flip)
Record: 8-8
Team needs: WR, OT, CB
Analysis: Baltimore's offense hasn't looked the same without Anquan Boldin. They also haven't played that well in the secondary during the 2013 season. Ozzie Newsome will always take the best available player, but it would be tough to pass on a talented wideout to complement Torrey Smith."

why do people say our secondary didn't play well? i think they played very well in 2013 despite the lack of a pass rush in the second half of the year. i think this is one of the only areas we don't need to address for 2014.

#2 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

"16t. Baltimore Ravens (pending coin flip)
Record: 8-8
Team needs: WR, OT, CB
Analysis: Baltimore's offense hasn't looked the same without Anquan Boldin. They also haven't played that well in the secondary during the 2013 season. Ozzie Newsome will always take the best available player, but it would be tough to pass on a talented wideout to complement Torrey Smith."

why do people say our secondary didn't play well? i think they played very well in 2013 despite the lack of a pass rush in the second half of the year. i think this is one of the only areas we don't need to address for 2014.

I think it has to do with the fact that the Ravens were very prone to the big play and deep ball this year, something that would be easily fixed by signing a true free safety, in my opinion. Having a rookie strong safety trying to play single high free safety is difficult, but with someone back there who knows what they're doing, the Ravens will be alright.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 31 December 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#3 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I agree with Bmorebird22 Elam played very  well closer to the line of scrimmage. I even thought Ihedigbo played well I think we gave up more big plays in zone versus man coverage. Jimmy Smith locked down a bunch of talented receivers this year (loved seeing Brandon marshall bang his helmet on the bench in frustration). Do the analyst actually watch the games . webb was playing injured he had a sports hernia even he played well.

#4 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

So do we keep Diggs as a backup or not?

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

So do we keep Diggs as a backup or not?

He's plan B.  If we don't find a FS that we like, I assume we'll bring Diggs back.  If we do find a FS, I assume he moves on in hopes of finding another starting spot somewhere.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#6 TSizzle00

TSizzle00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Ravens secondary is good, we need a good FS and for their communication to get better though. ILB and the Secondary were question marks going into the season. They were not even close to the main problems the Ravens ended up having.

Metalsiren00 on ESPN.COM

GO RAVENS

AFCN

#7 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,674 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

The biggest issue I've seen in the secondary is FS, which is a lethal issue we have right now that really needs to be corrected in some way. It is an issue because we're giving up more deep plays than we have in years. I think the reality is we would've given up these plays before but we had Ed "Respect" Reed back there and guys were mostly afraid of throwing at him and if they did throw at him, he either made something happen, got someone else into position to make something happen, or gave up a play on occasion. 

Then we did have issues with Graham covering guys at times as well as even Webb and Jimmy Smith had his own issues with penalties and not turning his head at times but these are very minor issues for the most part. Graham was our weakest CB of the starting three and that's not a bad thing. He didn't have a good year, however, compared to last. That may work out for us because we might be able to re-sign him for a low cost as a result. 

#8 Gorillaz MD

Gorillaz MD

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

How many 3rd and shorts turned into 30-40-50 yard plays on the defense this year? During crucial situations? I feel like it was quite a few. Now, were those on the linebackers or the secondary? The scheme perhaps? Hopefully it gets fixed.

Edited by Gorillaz MD, 01 January 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#9 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

Then we did have issues with Graham covering guys at times as well as even Webb and Jimmy Smith had his own issues with penalties and not turning his head at times but these are very minor issues for the most part. Graham was our weakest CB of the starting three and that's not a bad thing. He didn't have a good year, however, compared to last. That may work out for us because we might be able to re-sign him for a low cost as a result. 

There's nothing he can do about the flags, that's the league being too soft and making sure receivers have an easier time making plays. Big corners will always be flagged regularly for pass interference / holding, that's just the way it is. You look around the league, all the big top corners are getting flagged like crazy, Jimmy is one of them. You have Cromartie who is a penalty machine, he's 6'2 as well, you have Richard Sherman one of the finest corners in the league, he's 6'2 and he gets flagged like crazy as well, you have THE OTHER Seahawks corner Brandon Browner who is a good corner as well, he stands 6'4 and he got flagged like 5 times in 5 games. Aqib Talib leads the Pats in penalties. So the refs are definitely going after these big corners. Personally it wasn't really an issue for me with Jimmy, it happened a few times over the season but it's not a constant thing and I don't want him to change the way he plays / covers people. Him not turning his head at all times is an experience thing, he's done that well in the 2nd half of the season and against the Bengals that was why he ended up with the INT in the endzone, he's definitely getting better at it, it's not an issue anymore. At the beginning of the year it was a little, I agree.

As for Webb, he just seems to be too short to cover receivers over 6'3. A lot of times he gives up those bigplays because he can't reach the ball, not because of bad coverage. Usually it's tight and decent coverage, he just can't bat down the ball and gives up too many bigplays because of his height. He can't fix that either.

I'm not sure what we'll do with our safeties though. Elam is an in the box safety, he's not good in coverage. Ihedigbo is an in the box safety (better than Elam as well), but he's also somewhat decent in coverage. What I'd like us see to do is bring in a big name free safety (Byrd?), pair him up with Ihedigbo for 1-2 seasons, then replace Ihedigno with Elam.

Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#10 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,159 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

Some of the best free safeties in the league are converted cornerbacks. Just a thought.

#11 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,674 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Some of the best free safeties in the league are converted cornerbacks. Just a thought.

I would still like us to convert Graham to FS. If he's re-signed that is.

#12 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

The secondary was OK, but gave up too many big plays. The lack of a pass rush and the inexperience of Elam can account for part of the issue, but Webb's poor play is to blame as well. I hope he can get it back and play the way he did prior to his second injury. And they were still having communication issues late into the season which have to be fixed moving forward.

J Smith emerged and I think will get even better. Diggs offers much more than Pollard did and probably stays. I think Graham stays as well. Not sure what to think about Elam, maybe we are trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. 

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#13 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

I was starting to wonder how much does a sports hernia injury affect out corners because they seem to not play up to par when they have them.

#14 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

I never thought about that but that's a good idea. He is 6 feet 195 so he is slightly undersized but he did league our team in INTs as the nickel back so he does have fairly decent ball skills. I would need to see game tape of him and see how he played in zone defense but I think that we could pull that off

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Harbaugh seemed really interested in having him back, but definitely as a CB.  He basically said they'd love to have Graham back so CB wouldn't be a position they need to worry about bringing in someone new.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#16 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I think it has to do with the fact that the Ravens were very prone to the big play and deep ball this year, something that would be easily fixed by signing a true free safety, in my opinion. Having a rookie strong safety trying to play single high free safety is difficult, but with someone back there who knows what they're doing, the Ravens will be alright.

Totally agrree. It should be FS not CB on that list especiaaly after watching Elam get burned by Green last Sun.

#17 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

Harbaugh seemed really interested in having him back, but definitely as a CB.  He basically said they'd love to have Graham back so CB wouldn't be a position they need to worry about bringing in someone new.

Graham can cover the slot and outside plus he's a good SpTeamer. I'd like to see him back at a good price.

#18 LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Hire Seattle's secondary coach, Kris Richard, for defensive coordinator, have him bring Walter Thurmond with him, and let Graham walk. Between Richard's coaching, Webby getting completely healthy and Elo getting NFL experience our secondary would be second only to Seattle's.

Elam

Diggz

Jimmy                                                                                                                  Webb                          Thurmond

Edited by LEGEN-wait for it-DARY, 01 January 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#19 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Byrd should be our big FA signing if We let suggs go.

#20 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Free safety is the biggest need in the secondary right now.  If Graham leaves in FA, then another cornerback is needed as only Webb, Jimmy Smith, Chykie Brown, and Asa Jackson will be under contract.

Edited by Mt. Crushmore, 01 January 2014 - 12:51 PM.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users