Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Myth Busters

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#1 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,528 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Subtitle: wide-spread erroneous beliefs.

Saw something in another thread earlier that I know to be widely believed, but untrue, got me thinking about starting this thread. Every day we see things in the forums that are just not true. I'll start with one that chaps me and I hope you will contribute more. Maybe we can fight ignorance together.

Myth 1: Oher is a penalty machine/false starts every game.

Truth: in 2013 Michael Oher was penalized a total of 6 times. Only 3 of those were false starts and they were ALL in the same game (possible officiating issue?). Oher had 4 false starts in 2012. In comparison, Yanda was penalized 7 times and 5 of those were false starts this past year. He has 3 false starts in 2012.
10wmids.jpg

#2 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

actually mod 3 I was one that perpetrated that myth too I thought it was allot more

Myth: Flacco's contract has crippled this team and is the reason we got rid of all the players last year and won't be able to retain players this year because of it . 

http://www.spotrac.c...ens/joe-flacco/  pay attention to cap hit number ....I would copy the graphic but mobile is not letting me

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#3 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,528 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Keep 'em coming. Ignorance must be defeated!
10wmids.jpg

#4 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Myth 2: Run game issues lie on Castillo

Personnel is why we sucked this year. Oher has never been good since his rookie year, Gino was unproven but apparently admired by the FO, and KO got injured.  Even Yanda had struggles earlier in the year because of his rotator cuff.

Castillo's scheme worked with the Eagles and ZBS has worked wonders with the Texans. We've used the ZBS scheme in the past as well. Castillo, in fact, added wrinkles to help. The guy was such a good O-Line coach, the eagles thought he could coach defense. 

Look at the PFF grades, you can't run the ball if three starters are in double negatives.  Castillo was an undeserving scapegoat. 

#5 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,635 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Awesome idea for a thread!

I have a couple long winded, but hopefully interesting rants to post when I have time.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#6 5aiah

5aiah

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

What an excellent idea for a thread. 

1. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were solely responsible(with their on field coordinating tactics) for the success of our "bend but don't break" defense and it wouldn't be the same without them. It's been better this year.

2. Flacco had one of the best deep balls(in the entire league) in the past 5 years. His accuracy had been way off and on during the regular season but his performance during the run only served to help perpetuate this myth.

3. The Zone blocking scheme is some new to the Ravens. We have been successful at using the more fullback oriented zone blocking ever since Leach came.

#7 5aiah

5aiah

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

Personnel is why we sucked this year. Oher has never been good since his rookie year, Gino was unproven but apparently admired by the FO, and KO got injured.  Even Yanda had struggles earlier in the year because of his rotator cuff.

Castillo's scheme worked with the Eagles and ZBS has worked wonders with the Texans. We've used the ZBS scheme in the past as well. Castillo, in fact, added wrinkles to help. The guy was such a good O-Line coach, the eagles thought he could coach defense. 

Look at the PFF grades, you can't run the ball if three starters are in double negatives.  Castillo was an undeserving scapegoat. 

I concur. Also, speaking of scapegoats, Cam Cameron was a scapegoat and the play calling(despite what people try to show you in charts) wasn't too big of a change and would have gone in that direction, regardless of who was calling the plays, with the line solidification.

2. Bernard Pierce can replace Ray Rice because he has the more physical running style. Ray Rice has always been our durable workhorse even though he has been at his best when he shares the load with other backs. Bernard will never make it through one season alone or with another back without a number of injuries.

3. Ed Dickson is a blocking Tight End. He can't block worth crap and is one of the worst starting TEs when it comes to blocking.

#8 Puntit

Puntit

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Personnel is why we sucked this year. Oher has never been good since his rookie year, Gino was unproven but apparently admired by the FO, and KO got injured. Even Yanda had struggles earlier in the year because of his rotator cuff.

Look at the PFF grades, you can't run the ball if three starters are in double negatives. Castillo was an undeserving scapegoat.

The problem in your theory is that you seem to think part of the job of an o-line Coach isn't to create schemes that work with the personnel he is given. If the personnel couldn't run a ZBS scheme effectively you don't just shrug your shoulders and keep running it, you go back to the drawing board and figure out something that works better. He didn't, and that makes it his fault. No myth there.

Edited by Puntit, 31 December 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#9 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,098 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Myth: "This team needs to be a throw-first/run-first team".  

There should be no "first" - success with this team has always come about with a balanced offense.  The last several years we've been in the top half of the league in PPG scored (until this year). We've Never finished top 10 in pass yards per game and only once were higher than 10 in rush yards per game.  Generally we've been between 11-15 in rush yards and 14-17 in pass yards, and we were extremely balanced during our Superbowl run.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 31 December 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#10 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

I disagree with this and there is allot of evidence to the contrary . we have used zone stretch plays in the past . Inside zone blocking is what the players failed to execute, Rice/Pierce up the middle loss of gain of 1 yard. the changes Juan made directly caused the run game and pass protection failures this year. this is not a myth

#11 5aiah

5aiah

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

The problem in your theory is that you seem to think part of the job of an o-line Coach isn't to create schemes that work with the personnel he is given. If the personnel couldn't run a ZBS scheme effectively you don't just shrug your shoulders and keep running it, you go back to the drawing board and figure out something that works better. He didn't, and that makes it his fault. No myth there.

If you have enough players on the line currently and more players down the road who can run it well, yes you do keep running it and get rid of the guys who can't do it, in the off season. It had to be installed sooner or later, lets get it over with now, and we did. Castillo was brought in to do a job the higher ups asked him to and he moved us toward that goal. If anything this is on Harbs for sticking with this all the way. Its his call, not Castillo's. It's not easy for Ravens fans to blame Harbs though is it?

I disagree with this and there is allot of evidence to the contrary . we have used zone stretch plays in the past . Inside zone blocking is what the players failed to execute, Rice/Pierce up the middle loss of gain of 1 yard. the changes Juan made directly caused the run game and pass protection failures this year. this is not a myth

He was brought in to make the changes, and the guys who brought him in knew the pros and cons. We didn't have the talent to make it work nor the talent to fall back on our normal power run. That isn't on one guy.

Subtitle: wide-spread erroneous beliefs.

Saw something in another thread earlier that I know to be widely believed, but untrue, got me thinking about starting this thread. Every day we see things in the forums that are just not true. I'll start with one that chaps me and I hope you will contribute more. Maybe we can fight ignorance together.

I think you just started a thread that will be up until the end of time.

#12 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I am starting to see some opinion floating around here and not so much on the FACT.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#13 JohnJohnson

JohnJohnson

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

actually mod 3 I was one that perpetrated that myth too I thought it was allot more

Myth: Flacco's contract has crippled this team and is the reason we got rid of all the players last year and won't be able to retain players this year because of it . 

http://www.spotrac.c...ens/joe-flacco/  pay attention to cap hit number ....I would copy the graphic but mobile is not letting me

Myth: A contract's impact on a team's ability to sign players is completely determined by the cap hits in the first year or two of the contract.

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,035 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Myth: Flacco is incapable of carrying the offense.

Fact is he did it last year for the entire season and we won the SB because of his play. When he has playmakers and protection, we have seen what he can do.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#15 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

If you have enough players on the line currently and more players down the road who can run it well, yes you do keep running it and get rid of the guys who can't do it, in the off season. It had to be installed sooner or later, lets get it over with now, and we did. Castillo was brought in to do a job the higher ups asked him to and he moved us toward that goal. If anything this is on Harbs for sticking with this all the way. Its his call, not Castillo's. It's not easy for Ravens fans to blame Harbs though is it?

He was brought in to make the changes, and the guys who brought him in knew the pros and cons. We didn't have the talent to make it work nor the talent to fall back on our normal power run. That isn't on one guy.

I think you just started a thread that will be up until the end of time.

No I blame harbs I said this before he knew at the beginning when they first decided to go in this direction that it could make for a bad season. on that much we agree . you and I discussed this before. did it need to be done that's debatable . and that's opinion. sticking with a scheme that does not suit the talent you have makes little sense .

#16 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Myth: A contract's impact on a team's ability to sign players is completely determined by the cap hits in the first year or two of the contract.

flacco's cap hit this past season was 6.8 million and next year it is 14.8 million. flacco's contract is not "crippling" this team . and before it does it will be redone.

#17 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,035 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

No I blame harbs I said this before he knew at the beginning when they first decided to go in this direction that it could make for a bad season. on that much we agree . you and I discussed this before. did it need to be done that's debatable . and that's opinion. sticking with a scheme that does not suit the talent you have makes little sense .

That's why they didnt stick with it.

#18 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Myth 2013 D better than 2012 D

It's not about stats. It's about stops.

#19 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,035 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Myth 2013 D better than 2012 D

It's not about stats. It's about stops.

That's not a myth.

#20 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

That's why they didnt stick with it.

the did stick with it up to and including some plays on sunday .we did have power blocking mixed in. But we never stopped the stretch or inside  zone blocking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users