Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

Defensive Overview

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

With 2 gaping holes on the O-Line, a need for a dynamic TE, and a playmaking outside WR, we are understandably focusing on offense in the draft and FA. This does not mean defense poses no concern at all, however. We have a lot of guys hitting free agency and with them ,we still had noticeable weaknesses. 

Some units were strengths and some need work. No unrestricted free agents will be listed, but they will be mentioned as solutions to fill certain holes. 

D-Linee(5):

Haloti Ngata, Brandon Williams, Deangelo Tyson, Chris Canty, Kapron Lewis-Moore

The line did a great job all year. They stuffed runs and generated a decent pass rush at times. Having Arthur Jones here would be great but is not necessary at all. Considering McPhee can slide in at DE in passing downs and our recent streak of hitting on defensive lineman in the later rounds of the draft, we can draft another guy, graduate Tyson to a starter, and maybe sign cody to a minimum deal.  

Outside Lbs(5)

Terrell Suggs, Elvis Dumervil, Courtney Upshaw, Pernell McPhee, John Simon

The pass rush was great early,especially from Dumervil. With injuries, it slowed down greatly. Strangely, we had trouble shutting down the edge. Suggs, later in  the season, had trouble holding position and was quick to push his man inside and let the runner go outside him. Upshaw had the worst PFF grade on the defense for his lack of a pash rush(I suppose) and he was not blowing up run plays like last year either.  McPhee was good in spot duty as a pash rusher and Simon demonstrated potential as a run defender and pash rusher in the preseason. 

Cutting Suggs here would allow us to bring back some other defensive guys and maybe a C or RT in FA, but I don't know if we can replace him even though we have great depth here. Pass rush could be a problem next season but trading Suggs for a second round pick could give us a guy who can rush and defend the run.

Inside Lbs(4)

Arthur Brown, Jameel McClain, Josh Bynes, Albert McClellan

No one really shined at either Mike or Will. Brown needs to start next year. McClain should be cut

Smith is not really good as a run defender but he has been our best coverage lb in a long time. PFF thought he was average and he is getting up there in age. If he does not sign for cheap, find someone else in FA. I would like Rolando back and Bynes would be a last resort. Drafting promising depth would be good too. 

Corners(4)

Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson

Webb and Smith were awesome. So was Graham. If we let go of Sugg's huge contract, we should try to resign Corey unless Asa or even Chykie can replace that production.  Drafting depth would help and if we don't sign Corey, another veteran would not hurt.

Safety(2)

Matt Elam, Omar Brown

We need a true FS and depth. Elam performed admirably and could do better at SS. Trawick and Levine were pure ST and I don't expect them to do anything else in the future. That is why they are not listed. Signing Kendrick lewis or even ihedigbo as stopgaps would be fine. I don't think we can find a player for the future this year with our current needs on offense but next year could see us drafting a safety early. Drafting depth is fine.

Needs(assuming depth can be addressed easily):

FS, Mike lb

*The very same positions Lewis and Reed held

#2 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

I am fine with cutting Suggs (restructure would be preferred) and re-signing Art Jones. I don't know where we get the money from, maybe a Webb restructure? But I would also like to keep Daryl Smith. It is hard to call Arthur Brown a disappointment but using such a high pick (1st and 2nd rounders are usually starters) and seeing him behind Bynes and McClain was disheartening. Hopefully he can get on the field more next season.

Safety wise, here is what I think...We are tied down by our lack of cap space. I do not want to waste it on a safety. Omar Brown has shown flashes. I rather have him back there then bring in a vet and spend a million or 2. We need the money for offensive and defensive line.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#3 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Upshaw has been very mediocre.

OUr lack of successful drafting, ageing stars and lack of cap don't bode well. I think a lot of people here are being way to optimistic about our future. 

Im also very disappointed in arthur brown. It was his position to lose. He didnt do anything noteworthy.

#4 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Im also very disappointed in arthur brown. It was his position to lose. He didnt do anything noteworthy.

His position to lose? He had Daryl Smith, Josh Bynes, and an eventually healthy Jameel McClain to beat out. Plus the guy was a rookie, he had to get the defense down. And I'd say he was our best coverage linebacker this season, thats pretty noteworthy.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

-Detroit Lions GM-

#5 blackandpurplesacks

blackandpurplesacks

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

His position to lose? He had Daryl Smith, Josh Bynes, and an eventually healthy Jameel McClain to beat out. Plus the guy was a rookie, he had to get the defense down. And I'd say he was our best coverage linebacker this season, thats pretty noteworthy.

I would be willing to guess that McClain gets cut and Brown takes over his starting spot next year, with Bynes subbing in (if we re-sign Daryl)

#6 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

I would be willing to guess that McClain gets cut and Brown takes over his starting spot next year, with Bynes subbing in (if we re-sign Daryl)

I would be totally okay with that. I'm not a McClain fan.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

-Detroit Lions GM-

#7 LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I would be totally okay with that. I'm not a McClain fan.

Cutting McClain, Leach, and Koch, extending Suggs, and restructuring Webb would open up a ton of cap space.

It would be better to release Koch after June 1st though because it would save 600k more and would give us time to look at the new punter.

Edited by LEGEN-wait for it-DARY, 03 January 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#8 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

OUr lack of successful drafting, ageing stars and lack of cap don't bode well. I think a lot of people here are being way to optimistic about our future. 

Upshaw is mediocre in terms of his development into a 3 down pass rushing OLB. But he still brings alot to the run defense on early downs.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#9 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Resign Daryl Smith to a 2 year contract. Look at someone like Ryan Mundy or Kerry Rhodes in free agency and draft a 2nd or 3rd round FS. Than you have your mike LB and FS.

#10 ravefan52

ravefan52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

Resign Daryl Smith to a 2 year contract. Look at someone like Ryan Mundy or Kerry Rhodes in free agency and draft a 2nd or 3rd round FS. Than you have your mike LB and FS.

I like Rhodes as an option too. With some of the stuff off the field I could see him coming cheap. I think he can still be a good player and it seems like the type of vet bargain signing we would make. My other top options for FS would be Clemons and Griffin. Both might be a little pricey, but we could afford it if Pitta walks and both would be great additions to our secondary. There's a few FS draft prospects I like, but I don't want to rely solely on that.

Edited by ravefan52, 19 February 2014 - 01:39 AM.

Miami Dolphins GM

#11 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

I like Rhodes as an option too. With some of the stuff off the field I could see him coming cheap. I think he can still be a good player and it seems like the type of vet bargain signing we would make. My other top options for FS would be Clemons and Griffin. Both might be a little pricey, but we could afford it if Pitta walks and both would be great additions to our secondary. There's a few FS draft prospects I like, but I don't want to rely solely on that.

I dont know about Michael Griffin, he is coming off a pretty solid season and would likely become one of the most sought after safeties and probably end up making more than we can pay him. I feel like a cheap veteran FS combined with a drafted FS could be a good combo. If our veteran signee pulls a Michael Huff on us we could just part ways and use our rookie.

Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 19 February 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#12 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

John Harbaugh when asked if he expects Jameel McClain back: 'Absolutely, he can be a part of this. I would expect him to be a part of this.'

coach speak or no?

"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#13 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider  22m
John Harbaugh when asked if he expects Jameel McClain back: 'Absolutely, he can be a part of this. I would expect him to be a part of this.'

coach speak or no?

Hopefully coach speak, but who knows. I mean the guy was better than Ellerbe 2 years ago, but didn't look the same after the injury. I think we've done right by him in keeping his salary the whole time he was injured. He needs to take a more drastic pay cut this year, or I think its best to let him walk.

Arthur Brown should be starting and I want Daryl back.
Google me.

#14 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,143 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

With the Seahawks rumored to cut Red Bryant for cap room, anybody opposed to picking him up to replace Art Jones?

#15 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

With the Seahawks rumored to cut Red Bryant for cap room, anybody opposed to picking him up to replace Art Jones?

Bryant is a big boy who excels in stopping the run. It would literally be two 320 + lbs guys on the line... He'd be a great pickup for that reason alone..

#16 DomMcRaven

DomMcRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'm not opposed with getting Red Bryant. Besides Ozzie likes to get those who were cut.........of course at the right price.

#17 display name

display name

Ravenous Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,279 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

coach speak or no?

Hopefully coach speak, but who knows. I mean the guy was better than Ellerbe 2 years ago, but didn't look the same after the injury. I think we've done right by him in keeping his salary the whole time he was injured. He needs to take a more drastic pay cut this year, or I think its best to let him walk.

Arthur Brown should be starting and I want Daryl back.

I think McClain is most likely gone. His six years with the team have been solid overall (especially for an undrafted FA), but nothing spectacular.

The Raven, on 03 January 2012 - 05:24 PM said:
"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

#18 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Falcons to cut Thomas DeCoud: Pro Bowl safety in 2012. http://chilp.it/ca50eb  @footballpost #NFL

Not sure what type of safety he is but worth noting

"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#19 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

No more FA, let the young draft picks try for some of these starting postions that will be open.

#20 Hjulmann

Hjulmann

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Let's give up before the season starts, shall we?

Posted Image
"It's all for Ray Lewis" - Ray Rice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users