Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Keeping Jim Caldwell: Pros and Cons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
350 replies to this topic

#1 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

By now pretty much everyone has heard that Harbaugh is not planning to make staff changes, so we can assume Caldwell gets a 2nd year. Is that really a bad thing?

Before the Camectomy last year, Caldwell had never been an OC at any level. He was a QB coach and a HC, but never an OC.

Is Caldwell smart enough/flexible enough to make adjustments to how things were done this year? I've never heard any stories about him being stubborn. I have heard that Joe likes working with Caldwell.

Is keeping Caldwell the worst idea ever?
10wmids.jpg

#2 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Tbh Joe might like to play out of shotgun all the time but he had his one year and threw more picks than TDs. Watching them do 5 wide spreads on 3rd and short is driving me nuts. We have to start bringing back some ball control and some muscle. Nobody fears this O.

I'd like to show Pees the door too. It never good when people start figgering out how to stuff your passrush the later it gets into the season and it seemed like every time they needed to make a stop we didn't.

As I've said before too many chiefs running this team

#3 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

IDK what strategies they plan to employ, but it all depends on the philosophy.  Last year I think the biggest change was Caldwell's absolute willingness to commit to the run game.  After the loss to Denver we hit at least 120 yards rushing the next 5 weeks straight - the only game we didn't was the Superbowl.  If they're willing to give Caldwell a second shot, what I'm thinking is that Harbs and the front office feel a lot of the problems were related to personnel issues e.g. a poor offensive line contributing to a poor run game, and injuries to TEs preventing the implementation of a 2 TE set as a consistent package. 

#4 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Tbh Joe might like to play out of shotgun all the time but he had his one year and threw more picks than TDs. Watching them do 5 wide spreads on 3rd and short is driving me nuts. We have to start bringing back some ball control and some muscle. Nobody fears this O.

I'd like to show Pees the door too. It never good when people start figgering out how to stuff your passrush the later it gets into the season and it seemed like every time they needed to make a stop we didn't.

I think a huge issue was that the erosion of the run game made them question whether they could convert on third and short.

#5 5aiah

5aiah

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

By now pretty much everyone has heard that Harbaugh is not planning to make staff changes, so we can assume Caldwell gets a 2nd year. Is that really a bad thing?

Before the Camectomy last year, Caldwell had never been an OC at any level. He was a QB coach and a HC, but never an OC.

Is Caldwell smart enough/flexible enough to make adjustments to how things were done this year? I've never heard any stories about him being stubborn. I have heard that Joe likes working with Caldwell.

Is keeping Caldwell the worst idea ever?

No, its the best idea. I'm going to stand firm and say that he needs another year with adequate talent on the field before we can truly judge him. Most of the people calling for his head are ignorant of the intricacies on how coaching works and how walking into certain systems can influence what you practice and as a result, what you can call on game day. We are all in the dark when it comes what really goes on during the most important part of play calling(practice) but yet we call for the guys head. 

#6 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

The shotgun is the one thing that did work this season and the one way we were even able to move the ball up the field. I wouldn't get caught up with stats and judge that system based on that. It needs more time to grow and adjust, but there is definitely potential there, if the games against the Steelers, Packers or Lions are any indication.

I said it a bunch of times already. Would the OL have been atleast average, we would've made the playoffs. No doubt.

bJNF689.jpg

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,023 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Keeping Caldwell has its merits, especially if the FO gets him some weapons and works to fix the OL.

I liked some things Caldwell did this year. He was willing to adapt and try new things. There were some really smart plays that he implemented.

On the other hand, some of the play calling was downright horrendous at times, but I think that can be attributed to a first time OC.

Caldwell and Joe seem to work well together which is obviously a good thing. More than anything we just need more consistent playmakers.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#8 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

If we hire another Offensive coordinator and they are calling the same stuff and keeping Flacco on a leash, we will know why. If Flacco flourishes, we will know Caldwell and Cameron were bad choices. I think Caldwell stays as a QB coach and Harbaugh will be all cute and hire a "offensive consultant"

Edited by Alexir, 31 December 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#9 Guest_Moderator 6_*

Guest_Moderator 6_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

I never thought Caldwell or Flacco was the problem.  It is the supporting cast around them that needs some work.

So keeping Caldwell is a good thing.

#10 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

The shotgun is the one thing that did work this season and the one way we were even able to move the ball up the field. I wouldn't get caught up with stats and judge that system based on that. It needs more time to grow and adjust, but there is definitely potential there, if the games against the Steelers, Packers or Lions are any indication.

I said it a bunch of times already. Would the OL have been atleast average, we would've made the playoffs. No doubt.

The shotgun was a breath of fresh air for awhile but they never ditched it after the Bills game.It seemed like that was the only formation they played out of. Flacco might get payed like Manning but he's not he's more deadly when he can playaction and he doesn't look great at doing it out of shotgun. We're fooling nobody. A lot of the reasons we couldn't run at the beginning of the season was the complete diffrent blocking schemes installed by Castillo. I'd get rid of him before Caldwell. I personally thought the line was average just a lot of bad playcalling and bad techniques.

#11 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

I think we have too many line coaches... and they have different philosophies. I also dont know what Spags did... I wouldnt mind makings brooks or martindale or even ausitn defensive coordinators... they have been with this team awhile and know how we want to play.

#12 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Caldwell as an offensive coordinator. I never wanted him to remain the coordinator. I wanted someone else last year and still do. Nothing has changed.

#13 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,023 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

If we hire another Offensive coordinator and they are calling the same stuff and keeping Flacco on a leash, we will know why. If Flacco flourishes, we will know Caldwell and Cameron were bad choices. I think Caldwell stays as a QB coach and Harbaugh will be all cute and hire a "offensive consultant"

Flacco wasn't on a leash this year, he just didn't have anyone to throw to.

Edited by gabefergy, 31 December 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#14 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

The pros:  

1. atleast the players have some one they are familiar with and the system will be the same
  2.  Better talent will be added hopefully to make it easier on Jim           

. The cons 

Flacco gets hurt/sacked a lot again

1.        star players looking mediocre
  2.        losing games that we should win
  3.        maybe even the another mutiny but just from the offense
  4.        making our defense look bad
  5.         not score touchdowns when we should especially when you right at the goal line or almost there .
  6.         Flacco gets hurt/sacked a lot again

(Al this may happen again if Jim Caldwell doesn't improve as a play caller and actually adept to what the defense is doing) .

I have no problem with the air corydell system  its just that there shouldn't be consistent moments when you as the offensive coordinator sees your star quarterback getting sacked 3 times(making him feel uncomfortable)  or more but refuses to call better plays to slow down the opposing teams pass rush. There really shouldn't be consistent moments where the offensive coordinator is  asking his running back to run up the gut knowing it's not workin  and still refuse to call some different run plays like a counter or pitch .

#15 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

Getting a guy like Jace Amaro to replace Dickson and pairing him with Pitta would give us a great TE combo. Add in a sound O-Line and a playmaking WR, the offense becomes just like the one in the playoffs last year, except Amaro is much,much better than whatever Dickson was. 

Personnel was a huge part of the failures on offense this year. I do think our playbook is ancient, but it worked last year. Since we had no run game because of personnel, the FO gave Caldwell a pass until they give him a proper offense this year. 

#16 LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

I don't think we scored me than 3 TDs in a game all year, did we? No-brainer, he's gotta go.

#17 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

The pros:  

1. atleast the players have some one they are familiar with and the system will be the same
  2.  Better talent will be added hopefully to make it easier on Jim           

. The cons 

Flacco gets hurt/sacked a lot again

1.        star players looking mediocre
  2.        losing games that we should win
  3.        maybe even the another mutiny but just from the offense
  4.        making our defense look bad
  5.         not score touchdowns when we should especially when you right at the goal line or almost there .
  6.         Flacco gets hurt/sacked a lot again

(Al this may happen again if Jim Caldwell doesn't improve as a play caller and actually adept to what the defense is doing) .

I have no problem with the air corydell system  its just that there shouldn't be consistent moments when you as the offensive coordinator sees your star quarterback getting sacked 3 times(making him feel uncomfortable)  or more but refuses to call better plays to slow down the opposing teams pass rush. There really shouldn't be consistent moments where the offensive coordinator is  asking his running back to run up the gut knowing it's not workin  and still refuse to call some different run plays like a counter or pitch .

And to add to your list how bout some screens even WR screens. Why have speed and not use it. I guess it's not the playcalling. Let's just blame Shipley

#18 MDCop

MDCop

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

This is a tough one. If we sure up our o-line and add a couple weapons i.e. a BIG TE and a true slot guy ( Which are available in the draft this year ). Then we should be good to go. I know a lot of times this year our WR didn't get open when Joe had time and that needs to change. However, Joe needs to work on getting the ball out faster and it NOT result in so many INT's ( again that's when he has time ). The only real issue with Caldwell is his play selection. He needs to watch a lot of film and see that the game is changing and use his talent appropriately. Our offense was too predictable.....just like Cams.  If that changes....then he is fine as our OC. I just hate another test year to see if that's the case.

#19 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

I believe Caldwell needs to go, but I could see why the FO might not be as quick to get rid of him. The supporting cast was horrible. We had no weapons, got nothing from our RBs, and our offensive line was just horrid. Not to mention we had to deal with the loss of Boldin and Pitta for most of the season.

They'll probably be aggressive by add weapons (hoping for a 1st round WR) and rebuild the offensive line. If the same results occur, Caldwell will be gone after next season.

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.."-- EAP

Posted Image

#20 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Caldwell as an offensive coordinator. I never wanted him to remain the coordinator. I wanted someone else last year and still do. Nothing has changed.

Basically this. We don't just need a change at OC, we need to rework our offensive philosophy. We need someone who will come in with an idea of how they think our offense will best run and a plan for how to make it work. We need someone who has the talent to not only rewrite the playbook, but also the understanding to communicate it to the players.

Caldwell is an excellent QB coach, and an adequate playcaller, but he's not an offensive mind and he's not the guy we need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users