Untitled Document
Preseason Schedule      Official Mobile App      @Ravens on Twitter      on Instagram   

Photo

Season Summary and Upcoming Expectations

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky Raven

Ricky Raven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

An 8-8 season isn't what I wanted, I was thinking a 10-6 record before it started.  We were an average football team this year in all three phases, same mistakes week after week.. and it showed in our record. You can't get more average than 8-8.  We had a target on our backs week after week being super bowl champs, getting the best from each team every game. I'm actually very impressed with what we accomplished this year and how many games we won and fighting to the very end in five(maybe six) of our eight losses. I'm not happy or satisfied with our 2013 record, I obviously want better for my Ravens, but it is impressive. Think about it:  Tough schedule, game delays, losing eight starters from the super bowl team(Ray Lewis and Matt Birk retiring, Boldin Traded, Pollard being released and Reed, Cary Williams, Kruger and Ellerbe to FA).  Then not to mention losing Pitta all of camp, pre-season and 12 games of the regular season, Jacoby Jones being hurt a few games, Flacco with a sprained MCL, both Rice and Pierce battling through injuries, losing K.O. and a whole new revamped defense. Now I know every team faces adversity every year, but that's a long list. I was NOT impressed with the Juan Castillo and his scheme or Caldwell's boring and predictable offensive plans. On "O" we were trying to be a team we aren't. We aren't a pass first/pass happy team. We run the ball with a hat on a hat blocking scheme. We should create an offensive system and game plan that fits our guys we have and there strengths. Run the ball with the best 1-2 punch in the game with the best FB in the NFL. The passing game will open up and be a threat, With Smith being not only a speedster down field but now a complete receiver, Pitta in the middle, Rice as an outlet and now the emergence of Marlon Brown. Fire Castillo and beg Caldwell to get creative.  The guys are the on defense. We finally have two shut down corners, a young promising safety, and a REALLY GOOD front seven.  I have not liked Pees as the coordinator since he filled the position! Only being concerned with 3rd down and red zone %? I want organized chaos back! We have the boys to do it! Pees calls very boring and vanilla defense, honestly.  Get him out of there. Maybe there is a reason Pagano and Rex (aggressive play callers)got head coaching jobs. To me that's a waste of talent and amazing potential.

2014 expectations:  Get healthy and focused. I think Pitta, Daryl Smith, Monroe, Art and Jacoby Jones should be re-signed and let Ozzie do his thing in the draft. I love Marlon Brown, I'd like to see him put on about ten of 15 pounds...he'll be a beast either way. Get back to our 2008-2010 offensive PHILOSOPHY, run first and run often and gain big chunks in the passing game. Get the O-line a LOT better as well. And on defense.. just hunt. Get after the opposing QB. Sack em, hit em and chase em, force throws and get interceptions. We have the potential to be a very great defense. Just have a lot more aggressive game plan and play calling, don't just focus on 3rd down and red zone %, focus on sacks, rank against the run, interceptions along with the 3rd down and red zone%.  I see us getting back on track. We will go 11-5 next year. Win, lose or tie.. I LOVE my Ravens. Great effort you guys.

GO RAVENS!!!!

#2 jkm5bmore

jkm5bmore

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

An 8-8 season isn't what I wanted, I was thinking a 10-6 record before it started.  We were an average football team this year in all three phases, same mistakes week after week.. and it showed in our record. You can't get more average than 8-8.  We had a target on our backs week after week being super bowl champs, getting the best from each team every game. I'm actually very impressed with what we accomplished this year and how many games we won and fighting to the very end in five(maybe six) of our eight losses. I'm not happy or satisfied with our 2013 record, I obviously want better for my Ravens, but it is impressive. Think about it:  Tough schedule, game delays, losing eight starters from the super bowl team(Ray Lewis and Matt Birk retiring, Boldin Traded, Pollard being released and Reed, Cary Williams, Kruger and Ellerbe to FA).  Then not to mention losing Pitta all of camp, pre-season and 12 games of the regular season, Jacoby Jones being hurt a few games, Flacco with a sprained MCL, both Rice and Pierce battling through injuries, losing K.O. and a whole new revamped defense. Now I know every team faces adversity every year, but that's a long list. I was NOT impressed with the Juan Castillo and his scheme or Caldwell's boring and predictable offensive plans. On "O" we were trying to be a team we aren't. We aren't a pass first/pass happy team. We run the ball with a hat on a hat blocking scheme. We should create an offensive system and game plan that fits our guys we have and there strengths. Run the ball with the best 1-2 punch in the game with the best FB in the NFL. The passing game will open up and be a threat, With Smith being not only a speedster down field but now a complete receiver, Pitta in the middle, Rice as an outlet and now the emergence of Marlon Brown. Fire Castillo and beg Caldwell to get creative.  The guys are the on defense. We finally have two shut down corners, a young promising safety, and a REALLY GOOD front seven.  I have not liked Pees as the coordinator since he filled the position! Only being concerned with 3rd down and red zone %? I want organized chaos back! We have the boys to do it! Pees calls very boring and vanilla defense, honestly.  Get him out of there. Maybe there is a reason Pagano and Rex (aggressive play callers)got head coaching jobs. To me that's a waste of talent and amazing potential.

2014 expectations:  Get healthy and focused. I think Pitta, Daryl Smith, Monroe, Art and Jacoby Jones should be re-signed and let Ozzie do his thing in the draft. I love Marlon Brown, I'd like to see him put on about ten of 15 pounds...he'll be a beast either way. Get back to our 2008-2010 offensive PHILOSOPHY, run first and run often and gain big chunks in the passing game. Get the O-line a LOT better as well. And on defense.. just hunt. Get after the opposing QB. Sack em, hit em and chase em, force throws and get interceptions. We have the potential to be a very great defense. Just have a lot more aggressive game plan and play calling, don't just focus on 3rd down and red zone %, focus on sacks, rank against the run, interceptions along with the 3rd down and red zone%.  I see us getting back on track. We will go 11-5 next year. Win, lose or tie.. I LOVE my Ravens. Great effort you guys.

GO RAVENS!!!!

Outstanding.

Raven%20Leader2%20Signature.jpg

FlocksGotta'FEED!

#3 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

awesome thread . agree 100 percent

#4 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have no expectations if we do not make any coaching changes.

We lack any creativity on any side of the ball, our playbook was written by cavemen and it is apparent we have no one in our organization who knows how to coach up receivers.

That is without even touching on how our running game got broken in one off season and our O line issues.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#5 LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

LEGEN-wait for it-DARY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

I have no expectations if we do not make any coaching changes.

We lack any creativity on any side of the ball, our playbook was written by cavemen and it is apparent we have no one in our organization who knows how to coach up receivers.

That is without even touching on how our running game got broken in one off season and our O line issues.

Preach. I feel the exact same way, couldn't have said any better myself. If Harbs wasn't kidding when he said he doesn't plan to make any coaching changes then I'm not going to even bother watching us play next year and it won't even matter what we do in the draft. These feeble minded coaches will just continue to hold this team down.

Edited by LEGEN-wait for it-DARY, 31 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#6 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Preach. I feel the exact same way, couldn't have said any better myself. If Harbs wasn't kidding when he said he doesn't plan to make any coaching changes then I'm not going to even bother watching us play next year and it won't even matter what we do in the draft. These feeble minded coaches will just continue to hold this team down.

Oh I'll be watching & hoping, as usual! Same as every year!

Even that dreadful 2007 year where I hoped we could end the Pats undefeated streak to make the season worthwhile. We tried though!

I just won't be expecting much.

Edited by ravensdfan, 31 December 2013 - 03:12 PM.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#7 Ricky Raven

Ricky Raven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

What was just said sums up who we are.. fighters. Even in that dreadful 2007 season, especially against the Pats, we fought and gave every team our best.  And we fought this year to the very end and was in every single game but two.  This guys are fighters. And even know the season didn't turn out the way we all wanted, we cant ask for more, which is a 100% effort every week from our Ravens.

#8 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,518 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

On "O" we were trying to be a team we aren't. We aren't a pass first/pass happy team. We run the ball with a hat on a hat blocking scheme. We should create an offensive system and game plan that fits our guys we have and there strengths. Run the ball with the best 1-2 punch in the game with the best FB in the NFL. The passing game will open up and be a threat,

Great post!  This is the part that stuck out to me though cause I've been saying this as well all season long!  The focus to me should have always been on using Rice, Pierce and Leach to pound the rock and set up the pass for Joe and not the other way around.  Of course, we all know the O-line was trash this season and as a result our running game was putrid so just save it!  To me, the Ravens personnel fits the ground and pound, smash mouth, playaction style of play due to their personnel.  Sure, mix in some Gun formations and a few deep shots down the field here and there but don't totally abandon the true essence of your team's makeup, philosophy and identity...run the rock!!  Even Leach is questioning why the Ravens resigned him and then changed to a scheme that doesn't utilize a FB.  Fix it Harbs!  Smh!

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 31 December 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#9 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

...run the rock!! 

Gotta disagree with you some. Running the rock is definitely needed, but NFL rules these days favor the passing game. Ravens need to continue with the run but we have a franchise, throwing QB and he needs better//more WR & TE targets. If we can't score points, we will not win, and the easiest way to score is to pass.

#10 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Gotta disagree with you some. Running the rock is definitely needed, but NFL rules these days favor the passing game. Ravens need to continue with the run but we have a franchise, throwing QB and he needs better//more WR & TE targets. If we can't score points, we will not win, and the easiest way to score is to pass.

I agree. I love the running game, but it is not the way of the new NFL. It's a passing league now and you just can't regularly grind out 7-3 wins, lol. We didn't have great results this year, but I'am in favour of the shotgun passing offense we went to .. It's what we need to do and build towards. 

Edited by TDubbs, 31 December 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#11 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,518 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

I know that the league favors the passing game.....when a team has one of those....based on their personnel as I stated in my post.  The Ravens don't have the appropriate personnel to me for that!  We saw the effects of that personnel deficiency this season.  So the "easiest way to score is to pass" theory for the Ravens gets thrown out of the window.  Cause they couldn't do it!  But they do have Rice, Pierce and Leach and throw in Juszczyk for good measures in the backfield and Pitta and Dickson for TE's.  Then there is Torrey and Jacoby as the burners on the outside and Brown for the slot. 

To me...that personnel screams a power running game that can also be balanced out by mixing in some playaction and a few Gun sets to air it out!  They can still throw the ball with this personnel....that's my point!  Focusing on the run doesn't mean you don't pass!  Now to me, if the Ravens offense is to be this constant air attack with seemingly lives and dies by the deep threats...they need to bring in the right personnel for that.  Tall wide receivers and TE's that are also speedy and efficient and sure handed route runners as well as playmakers.  If that is not on your roster....then you are trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip with that scheme.  Views will differ but this is mine!

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 31 December 2013 - 08:21 PM.

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#12 Ricky Raven

Ricky Raven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Yeah very different views.  There is nothing wrong using the shot gun and or the ''no huddle, hurry up offense''.  But we definitely should be running the ball about 55% of the time, maybe 60%.  The personnel we have does scream a running team though. Let the league be a passing league, because guess what NFL?? We've always gone against the grain since our conception, hard nosed defense and a bound the ball down your throat with the running game offense.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users