Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

2012 season vs. 2013 season

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

For various reasons, whenever it came down to the wire, last year, we pulled out the win.

This year, not so much.

We did miss Ray Lewis, maybe not so much for the physical play, but the emotional uplift. He is inspirational, and wildly passionate. I don't see that in these guys , anywhere.

We really missed Matt Birk - sorry Gino. not cutting it - at all.

Getting rid of Boldin was a mistake, he is strong enough to outplay any corner or safety and make the clutch play.

Let's not even talk about the running game. Where did that go? Could we trust Ray Rice with a 4th and 29 this year? Not so much.

I still think Flacco is worth it - other teams beat him up, a lot. He got up for more.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were more hurt than we knew about.

Let's see what happens off season to make another run.

Still my team, heart and soul.

Go Ravens!!!

#2 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Biggest difference to me was the lack of clutch plays - no RR 4th and 29, no Mile High Miracle, no beating the Patriots who had a half-time lead in the playoffs, no regular season comeback against the Patriots, etc.  We just didn't have enough of the clutch plays.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 31 December 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#3 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,539 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

I missed our smash mouth, ground and pound, 3-headed monster of a rushing attack we use to have.

#Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#4 IH EART DA RAVENS

IH EART DA RAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

A lack of receivers and a nonexistent running game made the Ravens an 8-8 team this year. Flacco wasn't great but I don't think the blame is totally considering the average NFL fan could probably only name Torrey Smith from the receiving corps.

#5 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Going from a good running game to league AND franchise worst tends to cause bad things to happen.

#6 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,216 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

This years team was too inconsistent.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#7 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

For various reasons, whenever it came down to the wire, last year, we pulled out the win.

This year, not so much.

We did miss Ray Lewis, maybe not so much for the physical play, but the emotional uplift. He is inspirational, and wildly passionate. I don't see that in these guys , anywhere.

We really missed Matt Birk - sorry Gino. not cutting it - at all.

Getting rid of Boldin was a mistake, he is strong enough to outplay any corner or safety and make the clutch play.

Let's not even talk about the running game. Where did that go? Could we trust Ray Rice with a 4th and 29 this year? Not so much.

I still think Flacco is worth it - other teams beat him up, a lot. He got up for more.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were more hurt than we knew about.

Let's see what happens off season to make another run.

Still my team, heart and soul.

Go Ravens!!!

Agreed on all points, good post!

I dont think people really look at the fact that the O-line played out of their minds in the play-offs last year.  I've never seen Mckinnie play like that game in and game out for any stretch of his whole career. 

And while I agree about the inspiration of Ray Lewis, I also feel the O-line went and put the whole run on its back for Birk.

Seriously its such a huge difference in the offense and made the whole offense very hard to watch at times this past year.

Pre-Snap penalities should NEVER happen at home! The whole offensive line group (most of the time) were called repeatedly, and often by the same players mutliple times in one game.  One of these penalties alone was enough to kill an entire possession.  Not enough time to throw, or protection for Flacoo either who desperately needs just a little more time to throw to make him deadly accurate with a deep ball.  The run game rarely had any running lanes and it beat our backs up pretty good all season having to fight on every carry. 

So yes losing Birk cannot be overstated.  You can lose receivers and other skill position guys, but if you solely watch the battle in the trenches like I do (former O-lineman here) then this season was not adequate for that whole group. 

I've been watching highly rated centers going for years, and I wouldn't mind getting one by round 3 either.  Especially if they are the best player available. 

Lastly, on a side note I wouldn't mind seeing us move up 5-6 spots in the draft and grab a superior player that we really like and maybe get like a 12th overall pick.  You never know it could happen, and it could be any position including wide receiver, corner, or pass rusher (already strong position groups) that Ozzie has stated that you never can have enough.

Edited by Dudeman, 02 January 2014 - 11:59 PM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#8 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

More talent on the team last year as opposed to this year. the problem with getting younger is drops missed assignments, blown coverages. injuries have been huge too and no oline depth killed this season . add to that changes to the scheme and the run game being non existent . the offense was very hard to watch this year . having said that ozzie puts together a good draft if we fix the oline we are right back in it .

Edited by runamuk, 03 January 2014 - 12:00 AM.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#9 52N19

52N19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

the biggest shock to me about 2013 was the absolute collapse of the running game and offensive line. after the Super Bowl we lost a lot of players but we only lost one player in the run game,matt birk. the run game is one of the facets of football where you need continuity and we had continuity in the run game returning for 2013. it just goes to show you that you never know what will happen because i thought after the 2012 season the one area we were good in was the run game and in 2013 it turned out that the run game was the death knell of the team.

it may be a passing league but if you can't run the ball you can't win.

#10 uhhhh

uhhhh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

This is one of the most penalized teams in the league. Penalties also killed a lot of drives, or helped other teams getting first downs.

The Ravens D was THE most penalized defense in the NFL. 126 times for 1196 yards. The nr.2 was Dallas with 112 times.

The offense wasn't helping either. 6th most in the NFL. Tied with Houston

What's wrong with crows? Compared to a poor bird that's been caged and forgotten how to fly, this is much better. "I'm fine with being a crow" -  Harumichi Bouya

#11 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

I think the defense actually showed up and played great.

We need major work on the O line. That is the key.

That would open up Flacco to make the right decisions and time to get the plays off. There were no holes for the running game, whoever had the ball in the backfield. Granted, RIce didn't perform but either did Pierce. They are both talented in different ways ,but with no help on that interior line, nothing opened up to give them running room.

Best for 2014. Go Ravens!!

#12 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

I missed our smash mouth, ground and pound, 3-headed monster of a rushing attack we use to have.

#Mili

LOL!  Mili, didn't almost getting to The Dance in 2011 and winning it in 2012 make you forget about the 3 headed monster?

Just kiddin' and I'm with ya. Even though it's become a passing league, you have to have a run game to go deep into post season..  Ultimately, that's what did us in this past year.

Willis, RR and McClain were special there for a couple of years. We just wore the opposition down at times running that trio at them. But the one I miss is Jamal. He was The Beast.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#13 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,539 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

LOL!  Mili, didn't almost getting to The Dance in 2011 and winning it in 2012 make you forget about the 3 headed monster?

Just kiddin' and I'm with ya. Even though it's become a passing league, you have to have a run game to go deep into post season..  Ultimately, that's what did us in this past year.

Willis, RR and McClain were special there for a couple of years. We just wore the opposition down at times running that trio at them. But the one I miss is Jamal. He was The Beast.

LOL!  I hear you Tank!  Man...I have always been a lover of smash-mouth, ground and pound football!  Nothing like it to me!  Of course we need to pass the ball...that goes without saying!  But man....we use to hang our hat on that running game!  I like the old saying of..... "There a three things that can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad!"  LOL!!

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 04 January 2014 - 10:13 PM.

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#14 Bobby

Bobby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Mili and Tank - I am with you.  Lack of a run game was the killer this year.  Just watching Lacy churn out 5,6,7 yards a carry last night and how that totally changes how the defense sets up and opens up the passing game.  I was drooling watching that kid go!  Now if only the Packers D could have gotten off the field.....that looked really familiar... : (

Win, Lose, or Draw - RAVENS ARE MY TEAM!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users