Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info »
Close

Photo

Players Worth Bringing back as a Core Group

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Who do you feel gave Max Effort and is worthy of being a Core Raven to build around in 2014?

Note: I was very impressed at how the second stringers in KC stepped up, the effort they gave.

I didn't see that from many of our guys. Who would you keep? Is Monroe worth a 4th and 5th?
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#2 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Jimmy smith matt elam arthur brown are the three key players on d. Flacco monroe yanda and torrey on o. Need to build around them

#3 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Daryl, JImmy & Monroe all a MUST NEED.

I don't know how our FO can muster a cap to bring them back but they are the wiz for a reason..   GL Oz!

#4 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

If we are talking about out of contract players monroe smith and pitta for me

#5 Static

Static

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

More effort better coaching. Its pathetic when you compare how we play to other teams, but thats another thread.

Ngata's late season play makes me want him back.

Digs is nothing more than a good back-up. Had some good games but we need a true FS and move elam to SS.

We need to get rid of every single LB that isn't Arthur Brown and that is taking his development time.

We need some more Daryl.( ProBowl Snub :/ )

I think Eugene is worth keeping considering we have to make alot of other moves on the O-line we can't replace everyone.

Edited by Static, 29 December 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Bodybuilder , Rugby Player , and Diehard fan.

#6 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Who do you feel gave Max Effort and is worthy of being a Core Raven to build around in 2014?

Note: I was very impressed at how the second stringers in KC stepped up, the effort they gave.

I didn't see that from many of our guys. Who would you keep? Is Monroe worth a 4th and 5th?

I'd say so - he won't command a huge contract, is a serviceable left tackle, and like you said we're already out 2 picks for him.

#7 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

Would you dump salary on Suggs and Ngata to resign A Jones? Stay young
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#8 443hurricane

443hurricane

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Nope I would definitely

let

Jacoby

Arthur

walk

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

I'm not sure if you mean free agents or not, but regardless, I'll answer the question: 

QB: Flacco

RB: Pierce, Rice

OL: Yanda, KO, Monroe

TE: Pitta*

WR: Smith, Brown

On offense, I feel these are our core players. Rice hasn't been the same, but you don't quit on him yet because 1) you can't financially afford to do it, 2) it's easier to replace coaches and change schemes than to replace expensive players, 3) there's a chance it isn't him but the coordinating. Pitta, I feel like he's a guy we should bring back but I don't think he's a core player. I think he's important and should return but I think he could be upgraded and if lost we could rebound. As for defense...

CB: Smith, Webb

S: Elam

ILB: Brown, Smith*

DL: Williams, Ngata, Jones

On defense, I'm mixed. I feel like we should keep Suggs, Ngata but I can't predict moves we might make and it's certainly possible we could see them gone. I feel Jones & Smith should be re-signed, but I ultimately expect Jones & Smith to leave. I think we feel we can replace Jones with what we have. Smith has a chance to return. 

Those are who I believe are our core players--players we can build around. 

#10 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Nope I would definitely

let

Jacoby

Arthur

walk

...hate to say it, but Jacoby doesn't go up and get the ball. The ST part is replaceable if we can get the offense on track. I would let Jacody walk in exchange for a legit receiver and/or ballhawk.

#11 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,969 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

Pitta
Art Jones

that's about it

#12 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Here is a nice balanced article I just read about the Ravens struggles this season and on what needs to or may happen to aid the Ravens in "retooling" around Joe Flacco:

http://bleacherrepor...ampaign=buzztap

#Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#13 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Here is a nice balanced article I just read about the Ravens struggles this season and on what needs to or may happen to aid the Ravens in "retooling" around Joe Flacco:

http://bleacherrepor...ampaign=buzztap

#Mili

Great Article Mili...  Thanks for sharing.

2jcew5c.jpg

#14 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,925 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

If we could save more on Ngata by cutting him, I would cut him to re-sign Art Jones and plug Brandon Williams in at NT and have a DL of Canty, Williams and Jones.

Monroe, Pitta, Jones, Daryl Smith would be the four players I would re-sign if we had the cap room to do so out of our free agents. If anything, Monroe gets the Franchise Tag to give us more time to work out a deal.

#15 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

If we could save more on Ngata by cutting him, I would cut him to re-sign Art Jones and plug Brandon Williams in at NT and have a DL of Canty, Williams and Jones.

Monroe, Pitta, Jones, Daryl Smith would be the four players I would re-sign if we had the cap room to do so out of our free agents. If anything, Monroe gets the Franchise Tag to give us more time to work out a deal.

I like that group...  I'd hate to lose Ngata, but there are going to be casualties....  again.

2jcew5c.jpg

#16 ccflraven

ccflraven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

...hate to say it, but Jacoby doesn't go up and get the ball. The ST part is replaceable if we can get the offense on track. I would let Jacody walk in exchange for a legit receiver and/or ballhawk.

yea did you see him turn his head on that pass in the end zone today i think if he was'nt scared he could of caught it. doss on punt returns thompson on kicks

#17 ccflraven

ccflraven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

ngata cap hit is 16 million next year 15 mill guaranteed would only save one mill.

#18 StingerNLG

StingerNLG

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

What is the context here?   Team as a whole?   Not every cut we might want is realistic.

I think you keep Eugene Monroe, Darryl Smith, and do whatever you can to keep Jacoby Jones.   I'd like to keep Arthur Jones but I don't know if they can afford it.

Do you cut Ngata at this point?   He has been ineffective since his last injuries.   Or Suggs?    Ray Rice, who hinted he's not far from retirement anyway?

Sigh.

#19 Wisdom

Wisdom

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

What is the context here?   Team as a whole?   Not every cut we might want is realistic.

I think you keep Eugene Monroe, Darryl Smith, and do whatever you can to keep Jacoby Jones.   I'd like to keep Arthur Jones but I don't know if they can afford it.

Do you cut Ngata at this point?   He has been ineffective since his last injuries.   Or Suggs?    Ray Rice, who hinted he's not far from retirement anyway?

Sigh.

Ray Rice hinted that he could consider retiring when he hits his 30th birthday, he didn’t say today.  Perhaps, we should explore all options like asking Joe to take a pay cut.  He knows he needs help and they need cap space to do it…… Otherwise, he may continue to take a beating well into next season.

#20 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

Would you dump salary on Suggs and Ngata to resign A Jones? Stay young

I wouldn't since they're still productive.

I think Arthur Jones won't get the big overpaid contracts because this upcoming defensive line free agents are loaded.

I feel we can resign him for a good solid value like Jameel McClain.

Ozzie did a good job balancing out the salary cap for the future so we can sign players to backload contracts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users