292 replies to this topic

#1 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

When Mike Preston actually blames someone other than Joe, you know it's got to be so obvious that even he can't deny it.

Here's a summary of the "highlights" from his article on the game against the Patriots (with my commentary added in parenthesis):

** A Ravens' team source claims that the Patriots defense were calling out our plays as we were running them.

Literally.

Using the codewords 'airplane' if they read it was going to pass, and 'car' if they believed we were going to run. (Many of us have suspected that this was likely, but now to have possible confirmation that it's true?)

** Both of our tackles use an easily recognizable pass blocking stance whenever its a pass play, no matter the down or distance. However, they use more of a square stance oriented toward the line of scrimmage whenever its a run. So, they're both giving away what type of play it is to the opposing defense. (We have 2 offensive line coaches, yet neither sees this? Or if they do, they make no effort to fix this?)

** When running out of the shotgun, the running backs almost always move across Flacco for the hand-off. When the Patriots saw this, they always countered by run-blitzing their linebackers through the gaps between the center and guards to hit our running backs while they were still in the backfield. (I've noticed this too. Isn't this something that's easily fixable?)

** Juan Castillo changed the terminology for not just our run blocking, but also our pass blocking, even though he's supposed to be just the "run game coordinator". (Could this have contributed to the communications issues that our offensive line has had this year?)

** Even though during the playoffs last year, Flacco was given more free reign to call his own plays once Caldwell became OC, and responded with a historic post season performance, this year the reins have been tightened once again (Harbaugh's doing?)

This year, Jim Caldwell and Jim Hostler, our WRs coach have been putting together the game plans and calling most of the plays (Why Hostler? He was a failure as an OC at San Francisco, lasting only 1 year there!! Is it a coincidence that he gains greater input and our offense tanks, just like it did for the 49ers?)

** Flacco, according to Preston, is not too happy with having much of the control of the offense taken from him (AGAIN!) even though he seems to play more "more efficient when running the two-minute offense and making his own calls" (Which we've all noticed!)

** Apparently, Caldwell and Hostler prepare for each game by creating a script with 125 plays.

A script that they don't like to deviate from, regardless of the way the game is being played by both us and our opponent. For example, even when the Patriots switched to double zones to cover our receivers, instead of countering with crossing routes (obvious adjustment), our playcallers stuck to their (precious) script and kept sending our guys downfield!! (*speechless*)

** There's actually more, but I don't feel like continuing, so just read the rest for yourselves in Preston's article (if you want to be outraged and/or disheartened).

Here's the link for it:

http://www.baltimore...,5829128.column

Edited by PerpetuallyBored74, 24 December 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#2 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

Mike Preston huh

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#3 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Preston is a windbag but I do like that he doesn't stick to the company line.

Also inb4probablemerge

Edited by ratedr, 24 December 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Mike Preston is usually right. I read his columns often, and this year, he's been on point. He's right again.

#5 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I don't disagree that the offense has been poor. I've been pretty vocal about the play calling as well.

To me this sounds like he got a few quotes from a player and wrote a story on something that wasn't really there. Sensationalism if you will.

Go watch the film. The offense actually moved the ball well for most of the game. The run game was working despite the pats knowing what was coming...

#6 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Frustrating that Joe can't call his own plays

2mhhjsi.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Patriots GM

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

We lost because of turnovers and two horrendous play calls/coaching gaffs.

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

I don't disagree that the offense has been poor. I've been pretty vocal about the play calling as well.

To me this sounds like he got a few quotes from a player and wrote a story on something that wasn't really there. Sensationalism if you will.

Go watch the film. The offense actually moved the ball well for most of the game. The run game was working despite the pats knowing what was coming...

Definitely not sensationalism.

Yeah, maybe. Rice had 3.9 YPc and Pierce had 3.1 YPC, if you call that working. Flacco was sacked four times, the most times in about a month, and he had under 60% completion and 6.7 yards per attempt. Not the most efficient.

#9 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

We lost because of turnovers and two horrendous play calls/coaching gaffs.

I can get behind that

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Definitely not sensationalism.

Yeah, maybe. Rice had 3.9 YPc and Pierce had 3.1 YPC, if you call that working. Flacco was sacked four times, the most times in about a month, and he had under 60% completion and 6.7 yards per attempt. Not the most efficient.

Those rushing numbers are better than what they have been all season.

How much of that was due to Joe's knee though? He clearly lacked his normal mobility and ability to step into his throws. Also there were several drops. I didn't see anything in this game that suggested the Pats had some kind of leg up.

#11 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Those rushing numbers are better than what they have been all season.

How much of that was due to Joe's knee though? He clearly lacked his normal mobility and ability to step into his throws. Also there were several drops. I didn't see anything in this game that suggested the Pats had some kind of leg up.

Yeah, but hardly effective.

I think Preston was using evidence from the Pats game to suggest a problem that has been consistent through the entire season.

#12 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,627 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Preston is quite generally a ( not nice) with how he expresses himself, but his football opinion is usually pretty accurate.

Put it this way, would it surprise any of us if Flacco had his leash put back on?

#13 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, but hardly effective.

I think Preston was using evidence from the Pats game to suggest a problem that has been consistent through the entire season.

Its possible. Tendencies are out there for teams to see. I haven't liked Caldwell's play calling at all this year. The scheme and flexibility with personnel has been a breath of fresh air, but in game I have been underwhelmed.

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Preston is quite generally a (not nice) with how he expresses himself, but his football opinion is usually pretty accurate.

Put it this way, would it surprise any of us if Flacco had his leash put back on?

I think Flacco has much more influence than most of us realize.

#15 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Mike Preston huh

I know Preston is always stirring the pot, but he's never gone this far before with his claims. (AFAIK anyway).

And where there's smoke, even if it's mixed with a lot of blustering hot air, there's still usually some sort of fire.

#16 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

I know Preston is always stirring the pot, but he's never gone this far before with his claims. (AFAIK anyway).

And where there's smoke, even if it's mixed with a lot of blustering hot air, there's still usually some sort of fire.

No doubt there is something there. My guess is its not anything that far out of the norm though.

#17 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,073 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Preston likes to fabricate sometimes but it does not take a rocket scientist to crack our offensive playbook
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#18 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

I mean, this along with McKinnie pretty much confirms what we've been saying about Castillo.

#19 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

The Patriots involved in controversy....Boulder dash!

#20 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Preston likes to fabricate sometimes but it does not take a rocket scientist to crack our offensive playbook

lol....if we fans know our playcallings, so do the Pats....We have no creative playcallings to help our WRs get opened...

We really need a OC for real....

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users