56 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'm calling for the benching of Ray Rice.

While most of the blame doesn't go onto him, it is obvious to me that he has gotten old. 

This doesn't come as much of a surprise to me.  Unless you're a super back (AP) or a power back (Frank Gore), a shelf life for a RB is very short.

So, I'm not mad at Rice for getting older..... 

In fact, I applaud him for being a smart business man, and taking the money he could while he could.

Thankfully, we have Bernard Pierce, who I think could be a capable starter for us. 

He's big enough to be a feature back (6'0, 220)

Is a very athletic back (4.4 40 time) 

And can make something out of nothing (seen numerous times).

I want him as the starter going forward. Rice has gotten old, no shame in it, but he doesn't scare defenses anymore. 

It's clear to me he doesn't have it anymore.  

This post will probably be ridiculed by the masses, but I don't care. I'm going to call for Rice's job. He's too old, and has lost it. Sad thing is we can't cut him either. 

I think Pierce should start next season. He's certainly athletic enough and has good enough vision to do so. He wouldn't fall flat on his face every play like Rice has. 

The only concern with BP is that he has some injury history, which is why I think we take a RB in the draft this year. 

Anyone else think that BP will be the starter next year? 

#2 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

So...we have one of the highest paid running backs on the bench eating cap space...

Sadly it may have to come down to that.

#3 tsizzle95

tsizzle95

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Considering that pierce's numbers werent great, benching rice wont solve everything. As you stated, there are other issues that have to be addressed and whether its the scheme or the personnel i don't really know... If pierce started this year i doubt his numbers were be much better than rice's. Rice has been one of my favorite players, so its hard to admit that he is regressing, but without a doubt its true. If rice comes into camp next year and isnt in GREAT shape, im all for seeing what pierce can do as the starter. I just hope the FO sees the need to address the offensive line first.

Posted Image

#4 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,627 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

So...we have one of the highest paid running backs on the bench eating cap space...

Sadly it may have to come down to that.

Gotta play the best for the good of the team.

Edited by Moderator 3, 23 December 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#5 redravenfan

redravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Pierce needs to run in bubble wrap he takes one hit and he is injured rice is more durable .need to concentrate on fixing the oline  and we won't have a high dollar back on the bench .

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'm not sure that benching Ray Rice is the answer, but moving to more of a 50/50 split is probably a good choice.  I think if you fix the OL, both guys perform better.  Ray Rice is obviously on the decline, but he still has some value.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#7 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

Problem is pierce can't even stay healthy through a full games work anymore

#8 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Get better at O-line is the answer not benching your best player.

#9 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

I disagree. While Ray Rice's injuries have limited him this year, the lack of any push from the Oline in the run game is to blame. I think we've discussed this issue enough. Until that problem is addressed, it truly doesn't matter who is at RB, they will see no daylight. 

It's been a scheme and player problem. Both are to blame (maybe Castillo)? In any event. I'm confident before the draft and free agency our Front Office will watch every snap and pin point the issue. 

#10 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

The issue is that Rice is NOT being utilized properly at this stage in his career and it is catching up with him.  He is more of a "out in space" type of back.  Always has been in my eyes due to his size.  Get him the ball on sweeps, tosses and pitches.  Hit him with a few HB screens and passes in the flats.  Instead, they keep trying to run him up the gut in between the tackles.  Smh!  Pierce is that back!  He's bigger than Rice and can hit those holes with bad intentions.  These cats would make a hellacious 1-2 punch combination if they were being rotated in properly.

#Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#11 pmr468

pmr468

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

I think Pierce is just as capable as Rice. He's also younger and cheaper, so it might not be a bad idea to think about at least trading Rice.

#12 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

The issue is that Rice is NOT being utilized properly at this stage in his career and it is catching up with him.  He is more of a "out in space" type of back.  Always has been in my eyes due to his size.  Get him the ball on sweeps, tosses and pitches.  Hit him with a few HB screens and passes in the flats.  Instead, they keep trying to run him up the gut in between the tackles.  Smh!  Pierce is that back!  He's bigger than Rice and can hit those holes with bad intentions.  These cats would make a hellacious 1-2 punch combination if they were being rotated in properly.

#Mili

I'll actually have to disagree here.  Rice has not been good in space all season.  He's doing the Jamal Lewis studder step/dance thing and he is not making people miss anymore.  That ability isn't completely gone, but he's certainly not the open space back he used to be.  I think he needs to lose some weight this offseason and hopefully he returns to the old Rice.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#13 Ravenskid52752

Ravenskid52752

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

i think one thing that is going unsaid is that ray rice VISION has took 6 steps back. holy cow his vision is way off. i saw a play where the oline block good on the play and there was a hole there and he just straight ran into marshal yanda and yanda looked at him like c'mon man your hole is over there why are you running into me. and here is the play. and other plays

http://baltimorespor...vens-run-game/'

http://russellstreet...ce-still-leads/

#14 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

Pierce looks good at times, and I thought he was going to emerge this year... but he's not tough enough! He's injured far too often!

#15 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

I'll actually have to disagree here.  Rice has not been good in space all season.  He's doing the Jamal Lewis studder step/dance thing and he is not making people miss anymore.  That ability isn't completely gone, but he's certainly not the open space back he used to be.  I think he needs to lose some weight this offseason and hopefully he returns to the old Rice.

And, I respectfully disagree with this because we saw a play like that from him last night that went for a few yards.  To me, I see more of the studder step/dance thing that you mentioned from him running up the gut.

#Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 23 December 2013 - 11:44 PM.

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#16 PoeDinkum

PoeDinkum

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

#Mili

Well said! Neither have impressed me physically as they haven't been durable this year. Worse, as you point out our coaching staff has yet to CONSISTENTLY maximize the strengths of each with innovative game plans, or at the very least timely play calls. I can't tell if it's a lack of faith in the players, or if the coaches have too much faith in what they perceive to be the fundamentals to victory, or if they lack the skill set to evolve and adapt.

In any event, Ray's play this year dictates that he needs to be put on notice that next year it is indeed his starting job to lose AND I'd like to think that if he loses the job to Pierce or a FA that Ray is T-E-A-M oriented enough to fulfill his role as a 3rd down back. 

#17 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

I mean Pierce is under 3 yards a carry and Rice is BARELY at that number so neither option is looking too good right now. 

2mhhjsi.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Patriots GM

#18 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'm calling for the benching of Ray Rice.

While most of the blame doesn't go onto him, it is obvious to me that he has gotten old.

This doesn't come as much of a surprise to me. Unless you're a super back (AP) or a power back (Frank Gore), a shelf life for a RB is very short.

So, I'm not mad at Rice for getting older.....

In fact, I applaud him for being a smart business man, and taking the money he could while he could.

Thankfully, we have Bernard Pierce, who I think could be a capable starter for us.

He's big enough to be a feature back (6'0, 220)

Is a very athletic back (4.4 40 time)

And can make something out of nothing (seen numerous times).

I want him as the starter going forward. Rice has gotten old, no shame in it, but he doesn't scare defenses anymore.

It's clear to me he doesn't have it anymore.

This post will probably be ridiculed by the masses, but I don't care. I'm going to call for Rice's job. He's too old, and has lost it. Sad thing is we can't cut him either.

I think Pierce should start next season. He's certainly athletic enough and has good enough vision to do so. He wouldn't fall flat on his face every play like Rice has.

The only concern with BP is that he has some injury history, which is why I think we take a RB in the draft this year.

Anyone else think that BP will be the starter next year?

Wouldn't mind it all. A 60-40 split with Rice as the 3rd down back seems like it would probably help them both out and maybe keep Rice semi productive through the rest of his contract. Hoping the injruy is still lingering why he still seems to be struggling a bit. People keep saying blow up the o line, but I don't think it's that drastic. I'd give KO another shot while atill drafting a guard late and look for a replacement at center while getting a rt in rounds 2-4.

Edited by redrum52, 24 December 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#19 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

Did Rice put on weight this season? 

Posted Image

#20 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

Solves absolutely nothing.

The backs go as far as how the lineman performs. I still believe Ray & Pierce(both statiscally one of the worst) are pro backs. But you cant do squat when you have clueless div3 gino dudskowski commanding the line and juan castillo developing pur young lineman. It spells disaster when you mix them all together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users