39 replies to this topic

#1 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

With only two weeks left in the season, I thought it might be a fair time to give our replacements grades.  Only a few months ago many Raven's fans were worried about how many players we lost.  Here is who we lost since the Superbowl.  

Ray Lewis (Retired) Replaced by Daryl Smith.  I think Smith has done an excellent job stepping into big shoes.  Ray Lewis has commanded the defense for 17 seasons.  He does an excellent job in pass coverage.  he is currently leads the team wit 107 tackles.

Ed Reed (FA Houston/NY) Replaced by Matt Elam.  Elam was our first round draft pick.  He was expected to immediately step in at FS.  Although he has not quite lived up to high expectations, Elam is progressing.  I would currently take him over the 35 year old Ed Reed.

Paul Kruger (FA Cleveland) Replaced by Elvis Dumervil.  When Kruger left, many wondered who would fill the pass rushing role opposite of Suggs.  Dumervil popped onto the market and we were lucky enough to get him at a discount over Kruger.  Kruger has 4.5 sacks and 36 tackles compared to Dumervil's 9.5 sacks and 30 tackles.  Dumervil isn't an every down player, but he puts great pressure on the QB in passing plays.

Danelle Ellerbee (FA Dolphins)  Replaced by Bynes/McClain/Brown.  This one is a bit tricky.  I wish we could have kept Ellerbee but his price was too high.  Our LBs have done a good job at filling in for the departed Ellerbee.  I believe Arthur Brown is a project right now and we will see more of him in the future.

Bernard Pollard (Cut) It was a bit of a shock to learn Pollard had been cut.  However, we are now better off without him.  He use to hit with such intensity.  However, Pollard cost us many penalties.  I think Digz has done a good job at SS.  He hits hard like pollard and he his hits don't cost us 15 yards.

Cary Williams (FA Philadelphia)  Replaced by Jimmy Smith.  Jimmy Smith has seen a lot more playing time.  I always felt Cary played too far off receivers allowing WRs to beat him.  Jimmy Seems to be playing tighter coverage. 

Anquan Boldin (Traded to 49ers)  Replaced by Marlon Brown.  This move was not popular with fans.  Torrey Smith has moved up to #1 receiver and Marlon Brown was an UDFA put immediately into the #3 receiver role.  I believe this move is good for the future.  Boldin is 33 years old right now while Marlon is a rookie and seems to be learning quick.

Matt Birk (retired)  Replaced by Gino Gradkowski.  I had high hopes for Gino.  He has had a rough start to the year.  He still seems to be struggling to a degree.

We have also gained Chris Canty who has been having a solid year.

Overall, I believe that the Ravens FO made some great moves.  While many panicked and the media said we could loose every game, OZ stayed calm and played his cards wisely.  So, here we are with two weeks to go and a chance to make the playoffs.  What does everyone think of how well our roster replacements have done?

1egs.png

#2 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

Idealy id like to have kept 3 players along with birk not retiring

boldin
Ellerbe
Pollard

We could have kept pollard obviously and birk would have probably played another year if we asked him to.

We could have kept boldin and made the moves we did..ellerbe was the one that wasnt possible. An ellerbe daryl smith combo though would be epic.

#3 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

boldin
Ellerbe
Pollard

We could have kept pollard obviously and birk would have probably played another year if we asked him to.

We could have kept boldin and made the moves we did..ellerbe was the one that wasnt possible. An ellerbe daryl smith combo though would be epic.

Pollard really wouldn't have made a difference.  He's basically the same player as Digz with personality problems.  

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#4 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

Oz and Co. did a fantastic job and I'm not sure how they continue to be able to refresh in a capable way when others struggle.

The one thing they didn't plan for and the main source of our offensive woes was losing Pitta. Just wasn't much out there at the time. To say we needed him back would be a huge understatement.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#5 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

Look at how the teams that grabbed our guys have done. The Titans are still irrelevant with Pollard. The Browns are still abysmal with Kruger. The Texans dropped off the planet with Reed, and the Jets season turned for the worse when they picked him up after the Texans dropped him. The 49ers went from a #2 seed and dominant team to a team fighting for a wildcard with Boldin.

For the good, the Dolphins with Ellerbe are legit contenders and the Eagles with Williams have completely shifted things for the better (opposite of the Texans).

Of course, you can't put the success or failure of these teams solely on the one ex-Raven player they signed. It's just interesting. Meanwhile, we will likely finish with the same record or one game worse with all the replacements. There is no way we can consider what happened with us a failure in light of these circumstances.

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Look at how the teams that grabbed our guys have done. The Titans are still irrelevant with Pollard. The Browns are still abysmal with Kruger. The Texans dropped off the planet with Reed, and the Jets season turned for the worse when they picked him up after the Texans dropped him. The 49ers went from a #2 seed and dominant team to a team fighting for a wildcard with Boldin.

For the good, the Dolphins with Ellerbe are legit contenders and the Eagles with Williams have completely shifted things for the better (opposite of the Texans).

Of course, you can't put the success or failure of these teams solely on the one ex-Raven player they signed. It's just interesting. Meanwhile, we will likely finish with the same record or one game worse with all the replacements. There is no way we can consider what happened with us a failure in light of these circumstances.

Ellerbe was clearly the best player of the bunch.  But he just can't stay healthy.  

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Very true, and I believe players like Marlon Brown and Matt Elam can improve.  Where as most of the players that left have passed their prime.  I have noticed that Reed seems to be a curse this year too ha

1egs.png

#8 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Oz and Co. did a fantastic job and I'm not sure how they continue to be able to refresh in a capable way when others struggle.

The one thing they didn't plan for and the main source of our offensive woes was losing Pitta. Just wasn't much out there at the time. To say we needed him back would be a huge understatement.

Yes and in all honesty I had my doubts about this year and our FO replacing our roster losses.  Oz did a great job.  Now, I can see our reaching the meadowlands.

1egs.png

#9 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Technically Huff was supposed to replace Reed.
We all know how that went over right?
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#10 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

boldin
Ellerbe
Pollard

If only it was that simple...ha!
Posted Image

#11 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

With only two weeks left in the season, I thought it might be a fair time to give our replacements grades.  Only a few months ago many Raven's fans were worried about how many players we lost.  Here is who we lost since the Superbowl.  

Ray Lewis (Retired) Replaced by Daryl Smith.  I think Smith has done an excellent job stepping into big shoes.  Ray Lewis has commanded the defense for 17 seasons.  He does an excellent job in pass coverage.  he is currently leads the team wit 107 tackles.

Ed Reed (FA Houston/NY) Replaced by Matt Elam.  Elam was our first round draft pick.  He was expected to immediately step in at FS.  Although he has not quite lived up to high expectations, Elam is progressing.  I would currently take him over the 35 year old Ed Reed.

Paul Kruger (FA Cleveland) Replaced by Elvis Dumervil.  When Kruger left, many wondered who would fill the pass rushing role opposite of Suggs.  Dumervil popped onto the market and we were lucky enough to get him at a discount over Kruger.  Kruger has 4.5 sacks and 36 tackles compared to Dumervil's 9.5 sacks and 30 tackles.  Dumervil isn't an every down player, but he puts great pressure on the QB in passing plays.

Danelle Ellerbee (FA Dolphins)  Replaced by Bynes/McClain/Brown.  This one is a bit tricky.  I wish we could have kept Ellerbee but his price was too high.  Our LBs have done a good job at filling in for the departed Ellerbee.  I believe Arthur Brown is a project right now and we will see more of him in the future.

Bernard Pollard (Cut) It was a bit of a shock to learn Pollard had been cut.  However, we are now better off without him.  He use to hit with such intensity.  However, Pollard cost us many penalties.  I think Digz has done a good job at SS.  He hits hard like pollard and he his hits don't cost us 15 yards.

Cary Williams (FA Philadelphia)  Replaced by Jimmy Smith.  Jimmy Smith has seen a lot more playing time.  I always felt Cary played too far off receivers allowing WRs to beat him.  Jimmy Seems to be playing tighter coverage. 

Anquan Boldin (Traded to 49ers)  Replaced by Marlon Brown.  This move was not popular with fans.  Torrey Smith has moved up to #1 receiver and Marlon Brown was an UDFA put immediately into the #3 receiver role.  I believe this move is good for the future.  Boldin is 33 years old right now while Marlon is a rookie and seems to be learning quick.

Matt Birk (retired)  Replaced by Gino Gradkowski.  I had high hopes for Gino.  He has had a rough start to the year.  He still seems to be struggling to a degree.

We have also gained Chris Canty who has been having a solid year.

Overall, I believe that the Ravens FO made some great moves.  While many panicked and the media said we could loose every game, OZ stayed calm and played his cards wisely.  So, here we are with two weeks to go and a chance to make the playoffs.  What does everyone think of how well our roster replacements have done?

The other thing you haven't mentioned here is the cost against the cap the players who left made on their current teams vs. what our replacements make.  For instance, Doom's contract is 5 for 26, and right now I think he's just 2.5 million against our cap, whereas Kruger aside from this year will be at least 7 million against the Brown's cap going forward.  I said it when each of them signed, but every one of our free agents got overpaid, and just about all of them were replaced by guys who probably have more of a long-term future than those guys would have had with us anyway.

#12 frozen joe flacco fan

frozen joe flacco fan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Noble effort at grading the roster changes but I have a problem with your grading system and its premature to give anyone a final grade. One eighth of the season remains. First, the use of the word replacements is the problem.  You can't replace future HOFers like Lewis and Reed and perennial All-Pros like Birk and Boldin. Secondly, you left Eugene Monroe off the list. Thirdly, we played 2/3 of the year w/o Dennis Pitta and he's still not back to where he was. What about the All-Pro who filled his void? So, Darryl Smith gets an A-, Matt Elam gets a solid B, Dumervil receives a B+, Bynes/ McClain/ Brown deserves an A+ for effort & McClain's courage but an average C for performance so they get a B, Hedigbo gets an A+, Jimmy Smith gets a solid A, Marlon Brown has done everything that is expected of him so he gets a C+; he has enormous potential but he cannot be expected to replace Anquan Boldin and is nowhere near Anquan's performance level. Gino Gradkowski gets a D+. Monroe seems to have solidified the O-line so he gets a B+; I think he can do better. Other role players brought in by the FO like Spears, Canty, Huff and Rolando McClain had too little game reps to deserve a grade. Clark tried to fill the void created by Pitta's injury but didn't meet expectations IMO. He gets a C+. Stokely probably deserves some extra credit for helping out some of the younger receivers so I give him an A for the extra credit but a C+ for performance. 

All of the above grades should be consolidated into a single grade for the Front Office's job in re-loading the offense, defense and the special teams. Again, the jury is still out in my opinion. We're still not out of the woods yet and a lot will depend on whether or not we make the playoffs and how many of the "replacements" are retained on the 2014 roster. If we don't do a good job of retention, there will be a lot of second-guessing and recrimination. So, to date, I give the Wizard of Oz an overall mark of C+ for the re-loading program but the jury is still out. As far as I'm concerned, the Boldin "trade" deserves a grade of F because it was an utter failure so far. It remains to be seen if the moves made result in strategic gains or just good tactical moves.

Edited by frozen joe flacco fan, 19 December 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#13 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Cary Williams is still abysmal and one of the worst starting cornerbacks in the league

#14 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Ellerbe and Quan were the ones that hurt. Can't change retirement so not stressing Birk. Ellerbe was too high and we might not have found or utilized Marlon if Boldin was still here. I think Brown develops into a very solid LB with more playing time and an off season to add muscle.

#15 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

Cary Williams is still abysmal and one of the worst starting cornerbacks in the league

He may not be the reason for the turnaround, but he was part of the overhaul, especially in the secondary in Philly, and that unit and team are markedly improved from last year.  Again, I noted that each particular addition or loss is not the sole reason for the results, but Philly is one of the few teams that picked up a Raven this off-season that clearly made good decisions overall this past spring and summer.

#16 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

He may not be the reason for the turnaround, but he was part of the overhaul, especially in the secondary in Philly, and that unit and team are markedly improved from last year.  Again, I noted that each particular addition or loss is not the sole reason for the results, but Philly is one of the few teams that picked up a Raven this off-season that clearly made good decisions overall this past spring and summer.

Second most targeted cornerback and second most receptions allowed. He doesn't have much to do with that turnaround. Not even to mention he's given up almost 800 yards. I'm glad he's gone.

#17 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Second most targeted cornerback and second most receptions allowed. He doesn't have much to do with that turnaround. Not even to mention he's given up almost 800 yards. I'm glad he's gone.

I feel as though you are debating a point I'm not making.  I have never been upset he left, and I know how he's performed this year.  However, that was not the point of my post.

#18 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

I feel as though you are debating a point I'm not making.  I have never been upset he left, and I know how he's performed this year.  However, that was not the point of my post.

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to get at, to be honest.

If you're point is to say that the Eagles improved and he helped, I disagree. If you're point is to say that we upgraded the position despite his departure I do agree. if you want to say that the Eagles defense improved, despite his presence, I'll agree.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 19 December 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#19 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to get at, to be honest.

If you're point is to say that the Eagles improved and he helped, I disagree. If you're point is to say that we upgraded the position despite his departure I do agree. if you want to say that the Eagles defense improved, despite his presence, I'll agree.

We're in agreement.  His is the only team that signed an ex-Raven and improved.  I've stated a bunch of times that none of the team results are due to one particular signings.  I never once stated that Williams is doing well.  It just wouldn't be fair for me to make a post about how teams scooped up our former players and, in general, didn't improve without mentioning a team that did actually improve.

#20 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

We're in agreement.  His is the only team that signed an ex-Raven and improved.  I've stated a bunch of times that none of the team results are due to one particular signings.  I never once stated that Williams is doing well.  It just wouldn't be fair for me to make a post about how teams scooped up our former players and, in general, didn't improve without mentioning a team that did actually improve.

The Eagles were a surprise team to me to see do well, but I guess Chip Kelly has really turned Nick Foles around, for the time being.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 19 December 2013 - 11:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users