Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Vonta Leach Gets 3 Snaps Vs. Detroit

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I've posted many times this season with confusion about why the Ravens aren't using the best blocking fullback left in the NFL, while meanwhile struggling to find their run game. I still don't understand that, but I'm now moving on to another thought. Can anybody here talk about what sort of cap affect it will have when Leach is cut this offseason? And, yes, I did say "when" as opposed to "if," because I can't imagine why he wouldn't be. He played just three snaps in the entire Detroit game, while we ran the ball 19 times. Unless there's an injury that hasn't been talked about, it's clear that he just doesn't fit into our plans going forward. He's too good to be wasted on this roster, and I assume his cap hit would make a difference if he's not at all a part of our offensive plan.

I really hope I'm wrong. I hope he's used more in traditional running formations this year, I hope he's back next year, and I hope he's used properly that entire season, as well. I just have absolutely no delusions that that's going to happen anymore.

Posted Image

#2 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Not using him cause even when we don't show run we get stuffed. Vonta is basically showing our hand. I wouldn't mind trying him in there for PA with the pass blocking getting better, but it's too dangerous cause this line seems to struggle picking up extra pressure.

#3 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Why aren't we using him? Because Rice has a better chance of running on six man fronts than seven and eight man fronts.

I fully expect that he will be gone next season, and I doubt Ozzie gave him a contract that would give him a big hit.

#4 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

Well we struggle with running the ball even when it's a surprise move (See the 3rd and 10 run on Sunday).  When we telegraph it, its even worse.  

I think Joe has his input in this as well.  He does better out of the shotgun against a dominant front four.   Instead of throwing off his back foot every play. 

Then there's Pitta.  With him back, we can go more 2 TE sets.  

So really there is a whole slew of things that played into him getting 3 snaps in Detroit and his limited use.  

Posted Image

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

Vonta has had a pretty poor year blocking when he has been in there.  Even when he is hot, Rice/Pierce can't pound it through behind him because the OL is poor in run blocking.  There's only so many guys a FB can take on.

And has already been stated, when he's in, you can almost key in that it's a run.  Putting him in puts more in the box, which is a recipe for disaster for run games.  Pretty much all teams are spreading it out nowadays.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#6 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

The Ravens offense clearly changes with the times. Finally. Put the ball in the hands of the QB. Let's go.

bJNF689.jpg

#7 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Most teams don't even carry a FB anymore. Leach is the best one I've seen in a long while, but teams just don't consistently line up in I-Form anymore. I'd use him here or there in the Shotgun to pass block, run up the middle or even catch the occasional ball. Obviously, the coaches don't see the upside. 

Note: He's been killing it on Special Teams with his blocking. Go back and look at a bunch of returns he's made an impact on. 

#8 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,159 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

I was wrong about wanting to resign him last year. I didn't think it would be like this.

Ugh
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#9 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

I was wrong about wanting to resign him last year. I didn't think it would be like this.

Ugh

Don't feel bad. I felt the same way.

I have always been a fan of Leach. Always will be, but his
time is done here.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#10 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,159 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Don't feel bad. I felt the same way.

I have always been a fan of Leach. Always will be, but his
time is done here.

Yeah he'll always be my favorite FB ever and I'll never forget the way he rocked Patrick Willis. I hope he retires with us. It's sad that the position is becoming instinct.

I'm holding out hope Juice is our secret weapon and we've been saving him lol. I wonder how much he's seen the field this year? (On offense). Can't remember one time.

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Yeah he'll always be my favorite FB ever and I'll never forget the way he rocked Patrick Willis. I hope he retires with us. It's sad that the position is becoming instinct.

I'm holding out hope Juice is our secret weapon and we've been saving him lol. I wonder how much he's seen the field this year? (On offense). Can't remember one time.

Juice had one snap on offense that I can remember.  It was a pass thrown over his head.  The only real highlight he's had was knocking out Conte on that kickoff return.  Either way, it seems we aren't looking for a true lead blocker anyway.  He'll be a good move guy that will keep the defense guessing.

#12 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,159 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Juice had one snap on offense that I can remember. It was a pass thrown over his head. The only real highlight he's had was knocking out Conte on that kickoff return. Either way, it seems we aren't looking for a true lead blocker anyway. He'll be a good move guy that will keep the defense guessing.

I had really high hopes we would contribute in the passing game. Really hope he develops to his potential.

#13 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

I had really high hopes we would contribute in the passing game. Really hope he develops to his potential.

I think we'll see a lot more of him next year.  I think their intent was to use him as a lead blocker, and when that didn't work, they went back to Leach.  Now that we've transitioned to more of a spread, 3 WR base, Leach is kind of useless, but he's still ahead of Juice based on being a veteran and former all pro.  It could be a respect thing.  Since neither would be used that much, give the snaps to the guy who has literally thrown his head into things for this team.  Juice will get his chance.

#14 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Juice had one snap on offense that I can remember.  It was a pass thrown over his head.  The only real highlight he's had was knocking out Conte on that kickoff return.  Either way, it seems we aren't looking for a true lead blocker anyway.  He'll be a good move guy that will keep the defense guessing.

Ya Juice is going to be a really weird flex guy that Joe will use audibles with.  When they stack the box he'll motion Juice into the slot and move into shotgun.  When they're showing a 7 man box we'll use him as a FB.

Im really interested in seeing how they use Juice next year.

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Juice saw two snaps on offense so far, both times in the slot. He could definitely play a move TE role. One thing he could do from the slot is a crack block. For example, we could come put in single back, Pitta on the line and Juice in the slot. Run off tackle, Juice goes from the slot to crack the play side backer. That's a good way we could use him. I think that's part of the future of the fullback position. Athletic 230-40 pound guys that might not be tall enough for TE or fast enough for WR. But, they can line up in the slot and the backfield, and they can be used as a receiver or as a blocker. Lining a receiving type fullback like Juice in the slot and having him crack block a LB could be lethal.

#16 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

The Ravens offense clearly changes with the times. Finally. Put the ball in the hands of the QB. Let's go.

That's one of the the things I truly appreciate about Jim Caldwell. Good ol' Cam would still be trying to pound the ball out of the i-formation, same as week 1. Caldwell has been willing to reshape the offense into something that works, as he's shown with the implementation of the pistol and the spread.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

-Detroit Lions GM-

#17 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

Also, I think we'll see more I formation when: 1: The offensive line proves they can run block effectively again. 2: Juice proves to be a competent receiving option. and 3: We prove we can pass the ball out of the I.

Patriots still use the I formation pretty frequently for today's NFL IIRC. 

#18 jar2260

jar2260

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

We need to better utilize his talents, he is a good blocker, pass protection and moving linebackers out of holes, and he also can catch the ball, I really hope we use him a lot more!

#19 billick

billick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hey, at least we didn't waste money on Boldin.

We got a lead blocker, instead.

Offensive Genuis & Quarterback Guru

#20 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

in my humble opinion Leach was never meant to be apart of the plans for this team. There are 2 big reasons that got him back to Baltimore. #1, Juice didn't develop as quickly as we'd hoped and #2 Pitta's injury forced us to rely more on the WRs and those guys just didn't come through.

I say this because the offense we see now is the offense we intended to have all year. However after Pitta went down and the WRs didn't set up, we we're forced to go back to our bread and butter, the run game. So instead of having mainly 3wr 2Te type offense like we see now, we went back to i-formation football.

To be honest I'm surprised that Leach is even still on the team. But then again there is really no need to cut him because he's a team/fan favorite and you don't want to shake things up. But if I were calling the shots I'd really consider cutting him, giving Juice those 3-6 opportunities at FB, also use him in the pass game, promote Frustenberg as the 3rd TE and get the kid some snap. I'd use him much like we use Wagner, but being a TE we could get him out in space for catches.

Leach is one of my favorites but I can't say i was too happy to see him back. Because more Leach mention the offense wasn't gonna surround Joe imo. Now seeing him not play as much, I know the direction Caldwell at least wants to go and I'm happy the organization supports it.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users