Photo

Let's Talk About The Offense: Where are the TDs?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

This is a predicament and it begs a ton of questions about why, why, why, but first let's look at some numbers.

We are tied with the Bucs for the 3rd worst TD% in the red zone.  The bottom 2 are the abysmal Jets and Jags teams.

We aren't bad at *getting* to the red zone, though.  We have been there 45 times this season, which is tied with the Saints for 13th most.  It's a little above average, which is 44 times.

But we are also having problems scoring TDs from outside the red zone.  We have had just 2 touchdown plays of 20+ yards, both passing.  That's not only the worst in the NFL, but by a significant margin.  The Jets & Jags are tied for 2nd worst, and they each have had 5 touchdowns from outside the red zone.  The average team has scored 9 touchdowns this year from 20+ yards out.

So we've got the worst running game in the NFL, we aren't completing deep passes for touchdowns outside the red zone, and we aren't getting into the end zone from inside the red zone either.

All this adds up to just 26 offensive TDs scored this year... that's tied with the Jets for 2nd worst, just 2 more than the awful Jags.  The NFL average team this year has scored 37 offensive TDs! (Even if you remove the Broncos from the equation, who have 20 more than anyone else, the average is still 36).

The average distance of our touchdown plays this season has been just 8.54 yards, which is by far the lowest in the NFL, and the NFL average is 14.22 yards.  Since 2008, only 4 teams have had a lower average in this category, the 2012 & 2011 Jets, the 2009 Redskins, and the 2008 Browns.

Let's talk about what's going on, and why we can't get into the end zone.

Edited by callahan09, 18 December 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#2 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

We need a superstar "bring it down double coverage beating " TE or WR. We have 2 very good but not elite options in torrey and dennis with an inconsistant x factors in jacoby and marlon.

as we dont have a running game it also makes us more predictable. Ozzie get us a superstar wr in the draft please.

#3 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

How many times have we seen ourselves @ goalline on 1st down, only to let it go to FGs?

Its atrocious

#4 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,073 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Running game, it's been the worst in the league - maybe ever

Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#5 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Terrible run game = terrible red zone offense. Fact.

Just watch New England and see how much they run in the red zone.

#6 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

It's the guaranteed one or two running plays at the goal line that kill us every time. We'd be better off throwing the ball the entire time in the red zone or setting up screens. Running the ball with our o-line at the goal line is just a waste of time.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

-Detroit Lions GM-

#7 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Very true, the running game makes a huge difference.  We use to be able to pound it in almost every time.  Now, we are very predictable in the red zone since we pass often.  Also, when the D knows we are throwing it is much easier to cover our receivers with such a small field.

1egs.png

#8 TSizzle00

TSizzle00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Well when you do not run the ball well it limits your ability to score in the redzone. Most of the year we had no real short range passing attack which again limits your ability to score in the redzone. Only big body we had was Brown and he has 6 TDs.

Metalsiren00 on ESPN.COM

GO RAVENS

AFCN

#9 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

I agree with everyone, and we've well-covered the topic of red zone scoring as it relates to the run game.  How about the long ball?  Why aren't we getting touchdowns from outside the red zone either?

#10 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

We would have already locked up the 2nd seed if we converted even half of our red zone trips into TDs.

The run game is horrendous, it's easy to defend the pass when you know we can't even get 3 yards on a run.  Need better blocking and smarter play calling.  Also need to stop putting Rice in on "& Goal" plays - Pierce would be better to power the ball into the EZ.

#11 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

We would have already locked up the 2nd seed if we converted even half of our red zone trips into TDs.

The run game is horrendous, it's easy to defend the pass when you know we can't even get 3 yards on a run.  Need better blocking and smarter play calling.  Also need to stop putting Rice in on "& Goal" plays - Pierce would be better to power the ball into the EZ.

Should try jumping over the line...it tends to work..sure you take a hit..but hey..

#12 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Totally agree, we should stop using Rice inside 20yd line cuz he can't even pass 2 yd.  Rice should recieve 30% of the snap and Pierce for 70%....

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#13 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

I highly agree with the majority of posts here.  Our running game has been atrocious all season long and that limits our effectiveness in the redzone.  I absolutely hate our offenses ineptness to score TD's once they are in the redzone.  They may not be "elite" (as someone in the thread mentioned) but, we have some big bodies to target there if they choose to pass the ball...Pitta, Dickson and Brown.  And with Leach, Pierce and Rice in the backfield, there are no excuses for their pathetic display and piss poor running.  Man up O-line!  Smh!

#Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#14 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Looking back over past years, I found some interesting stats.

Through the first 14 games of the season in the Harbaugh era, here's how we did in 20+ yard touchdowns:

2012: 11 (T-8th)
2011: 8 (T-15th)
2010: 11 (T-6th)
2009: 12 (T-7th)
2008: 10 (T-5th)
2008-2012: 52 (5th)
Avg: 10.4 per season

We were never in the bottom half of the league and in the top 10 all but once, and over the full span of time, we were top 5.  Our worst year we still had 4x as many as this year.

Our current count of 2 is the worst in the first 14 games of the season since the 2008 Bengals.

Since 1999, only 5 teams have been as bad or worse.  The 2008 Bengals, 2007 Redskins, and 2006 Rams all had 2 each, and the 2004 Redskins and 2000 Browns each had 1.

None of those teams were as bad in the red zone as we are this year.

#15 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

It becomes very tough inside the red zone when your running game is crap. The defense can just key on your receivers pretty much with way less ground to be covered.

We should take more end zone shots through the air from the 30 IMO. We have the QB with the arm to do it.

By all that is holy though, stop feeding Rice the ball down there. Pierce/Leach, bring in Ngata I don't care but Rice is not getting it done at the goal line.

Edited by ravensdfan, 18 December 2013 - 11:20 AM.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#16 Hardbaugh

Hardbaugh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Was listening to the Vinny & Rob show earlier and Vinny brought up a good point on this. 

He mentioned Torrey and Jones being speed guys ,  when the field gets condensed inside the 20 and since there's no running game it makes it tougher to score Td's in the Red Zone.

The logic is hard to argue with.

An argument for a different day but this offense would be better with Boldin.

"It's obvious to anyone who has played this game that this guy is not thinking"  ~ Wally Williams on Joe Flacco , 11/11/13 105.7 the fan.

" -- they want to make Joe Flacco a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. He’s not that type of guy. He’s a system type of guy "  ~ Ray Lewis  ESPN 11/25/13

"The Ravens also need to light a little fire under both Flacco and Rice .  Flacco needs to work with the receivers more during the offseason instead of just waiting for occasional minicamps"  - Mike Preston 1/2/2014

#17 Hardbaugh

Hardbaugh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

It becomes very tough inside the red zone when your running game is crap. The defense can just key on your receivers pretty much with way less ground to be covered.

We should take more end zone shots through the air from the 30 IMO. We have the QB with the arm to do it.

By all that is holy though, stop feeding Rice the ball down there. Pierce/Leach, bring in Ngata I don't care but Rice is not getting it done at the goal line.

Rice is as close to a favorite player I got on the Ravens but he either needs to come into camp in back to his previous success playing weight/build or get healthy.

If the problem isn't one of those two he's finished as a feature back in this league.

A single safety brought him down in the open field against Det. , in years past he'd use some wiggle, stiff arm or run them over, rarely was he brought down by a single db in my memory.

"It's obvious to anyone who has played this game that this guy is not thinking"  ~ Wally Williams on Joe Flacco , 11/11/13 105.7 the fan.

" -- they want to make Joe Flacco a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. He’s not that type of guy. He’s a system type of guy "  ~ Ray Lewis  ESPN 11/25/13

"The Ravens also need to light a little fire under both Flacco and Rice .  Flacco needs to work with the receivers more during the offseason instead of just waiting for occasional minicamps"  - Mike Preston 1/2/2014

#18 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,073 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

I agree with everyone, and we've well-covered the topic of red zone scoring as it relates to the run game.  How about the long ball?  Why aren't we getting touchdowns from outside the red zone either?

In my mind, part of it relates back to the running game. The Ravens love to use play-action and, without a respectable running game, play-action is less effective or not effective at all. Defenders will be less likely to react to a potential run when they no it's not going anywhere. We've also seen more defenders dropping into coverage because of this.

A few other things: Flacco has not looked as sharp on some of his deep passes - I've seen over and under-throws on receivers that were open by NFL standards. We've had a good amount of drops, as well, Torrey has lost the ball or couldn't track it on occasion. And, generally speaking, the OL has not been good enough to afford us those oppourtunities or the time/space to execute it.

I'm blaming the running game and tied into that is the OL. Rice and Pierce are good runners. Yes, Ray Rice is considerably slower than I've ever seen him but not 3.1 ypc bad - and Pierce at 2.8. Our offensive line has struggled mightily.

Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#19 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,098 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'd like to know how many times we run it in a I-back or singleback formation. I'm just curious is all.

I hate running it up the middle out of the pistol. It's so predictable and never seems to work. Whether our oline can't get a push, missed assignments, or Ray Rice not being able to make good reads or miss a defender.

I liked the little pitch play we used Monday against the lions to convert that 3rd down. That was something new.

What really concerns me is the lack of screens and dump offs. If Rice can't get it going on the ground maybe we should try more in the air? I was envious of the way the Lions pulled Warfford (who is a beast) outside and block in the second level. I know Marshall could do it but it probably wouldn't make much of a difference since how bad Rice has been struggling.

I'd like to see more creativity. Flacco in the gun and moving around is nasty. I don't know how his knee is feeling going foward but that's the only thing on offense which has shined so far this year.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#20 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Matt Birk retired.

Our O'line has not kept Flacco upright. The play action was a must to consider when Pitta was in the game. This year Dropsy Mc'Dickson required no coverage since he was no threat to make a catch. No run because O'line can't create separation. Now running backs need to get antsy and second guess their running lanes.

This O'line made some changes and did fantastic against Suh and Fairley. Maybe they are finally gelling. Castillo said that his changes would take 7-8 games to apply. Can't believe we took a 7-8 game risk, but maybe it is finally working?

"“All of a sudden, and I had not officially met Ray yet, I feel this presence over my shoulder and this voice: ‘Ray Rice, this is Ray Lewis. I love the way you play. But, you should pull your pants up.’”

Asked what it’s like to see a deep ball from Flacco, Jones likened it to Starburst candy.
“It’s juicy, it’s good,” Jones said. “It’s like candy. Everybody loves candy. Who don’t like candy?”

"We got the better Harbaugh!" Sherry Huggler

"Finally"

"My descriptions of my actions on that play are a lot of things - embarrassing, inexcusable, a blunder would be a myriad of things I use to describe it." Mike Tomlin (a cheating Stealer)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users