334 replies to this topic

#1 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

I was doing some research into how much work Dennis Pitta could get for the game against the Detroit Lions, and I stumbled across his career stats. I saw them and at first I thought it was a joke. His career stats are really pedestrian, nothing to write home about. Now, I have no doubt that he could have developed into a great pass catching tight end had he not been injured, but he was and it derailed him from getting going.

I see a lot of people who are worried about resigning Pitta, but honestly, I'm not too worried. Those stats are going to be brought up in negotiations, and they clearly favor the Ravens. The injury will also likely be in the Ravens favor. I could easily see the Ravens resigning Pitta, and I do not think it will be a mega-contract.

What do you think?

Edited by BmoreBird22, 14 December 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#2 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Dennis Pitta resigned? Why?! Why would he quit now?

Just kidding. We will RE-SIGN him because we saw we really don't have much at the TE position. Clark will be gone next year, Dickson as well. Do you expect us to replace 3 tight ends in one off season?

Ozzie will be sure to point out the injury, point at the stats but I have a feeling the ball is in Pitta's court. He is Flacco's favorite target and they will not let him walk.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

I never thought he'd get a mega deal to begin with. He'll get a modest, fair deal. $5M or so per year is my guess.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#4 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Dennis Pitta resigned? Why?! Why would he quit now?

Just kidding. We will RE-SIGN him because we saw we really don't have much at the TE position. Clark will be gone next year, Dickson as well. Do you expect us to replace 3 tight ends in one off season?

Ozzie will be sure to point out the injury, point at the stats but I have a feeling the ball is in Pitta's court. He is Flacco's favorite target and they will not let him walk.

I'm honestly a little torn on the stats. Yes, he is clearly the favorite target, but he has not yet shown to be an elite pass catcher like a Graham or Gronk.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 14 December 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#5 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

I never thought he'd get a mega deal to begin with. He'll get a modest, fair deal. $5M or so per year is my guess.

I mean, obviously not everyone thought he would, but some people thought he'd get a Gonzalez or Gates type deal.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 14 December 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#6 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm honestly a little torn on the stats. Yes, he is clearly the favorite target, but he has not yet shown to be an elite pass catcher like a Graham or Gronk.

Well Graham and Gronk have much better Quarterbacks and a freaks of nature. That's like comparing Torrey to Calvin Johnson.

Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#7 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well Graham and Gronk have much better Quarterbacks and a freaks of nature. That's like comparing Torrey to Calvin Johnson.

I don't agree with them having better quarterbacks (I think Joe is just as capable if that were the Ravens offensive philosophy), but I do agree that the builds and physical attributes are different. However, with Pitta offering so little as a blocker, he would need to put up the big receiving numbers to receive the massive contract that some fans believe he'll get.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 14 December 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#8 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I don't agree with them having better quarterbacks (I think Joe is just as capable if that were the Ravens offensive philosophy), but I do agree that the builds and physical attributes are different. However, with Pitta offering so little as a blocker, he would need to put up the big receiving numbers to receive the massive contract that some fans believe he'll get.

Well I am going to ignore the first sentence because I am not going to get into that debate. Too much of that on here anyways.

Pitta offering so little as a blocker? He graded out positively in his return back and that was in bad conditions. Is he the best blocker? Far from it but he is the best blocking tight end we have that can go out for a pass after laying a hit at the LoS. I don't think he will get a massive Contract. $5-$7 million range a year is probably tops.

Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Well I am going to ignore the first sentence because I am not going to get into that debate. Too much of that on here anyways.

Pitta offering so little as a blocker? He graded out positively in his return back and that was in bad conditions. Is he the best blocker? Far from it but he is the best blocking tight end we have that can go out for a pass after laying a hit at the LoS. I don't think he will get a massive Contract. $5-$7 million range a year is probably tops.

There's a reason Dickson is the starter over Pitta. He doesn't block much. He graded out positively on three blocking snaps. He isn't going to be an online tight end, and I think the lack of blocking could drop it.
I agree with around $5 million per year.

#10 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

There's a reason Dickson is the starter over Pitta. He doesn't block much. He graded out positively on three blocking snaps. He isn't going to be an online tight end, and I think the lack of blocking could drop it.
I agree with around $5 million per year.

Neither one is a great blocking option. Hopefully we address Tight End in the draft to complement Pitta, I don't see Dickson being back. But at this rate, I rather take a Center or Right Tackle in the first...

Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#11 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Neither one is a great blocking option. Hopefully we address Tight End in the draft to complement Pitta, I don't see Dickson being back. But at this rate, I rather take a Center or Right Tackle in the first...

I think they have faith in Ricky Wagner, honestly. I think they let him try to win the job.
I'm not keen on ever taking a center in the first, but you have to remember that a rookie center doesn't have a lot of the line calls or blitz recognitions down yet, so it's likely to slow him down. If we were to get one, I'd want Swanson in the third.
I'm still pulling for TE or WR first

#12 jkm5bmore

jkm5bmore

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Agreed Pitta stays. There is absolutely no doubt that Pitta will be back and be open to adjusting his contract to stay a Raven. Another reason is there is so much talent at the TE position coming out of college this year that will command less salary/gauranteed money that the market's supply and demand will dictate value.

Example - Projected to go 238th in 2014 Draft

2013 MACKEY AWARD WATCH LIST: Kaneakua Friel, BYU...One of 37 players named to the Mackey Award watch list, Friel had 30 receptions for 308 yards in 13 starts last season for BYU, averaging 10.3 yards per catch. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound native of Kaneohe, Hawai'i, was second on the team with five receiving touchdowns in 2012. - BYU football

This guy looks like a Jimmy Graham-type TE. We should be able to get one of these and keep (one of my favorites) Pitta.

Edited by jkm5bmore, 14 December 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Raven%20Leader2%20Signature.jpg

FlocksGotta'FEED!

#13 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I think they have faith in Ricky Wagner, honestly. I think they let him try to win the job.
I'm not keen on ever taking a center in the first, but you have to remember that a rookie center doesn't have a lot of the line calls or blitz recognitions down yet, so it's likely to slow him down. If we were to get one, I'd want Swanson in the third.
I'm still pulling for TE or WR first

Everyone is going to want Swanson in the third which means we will have to take him in the 2nd :)

I would say OL in the first just because of how poor ours has been but looking at this draft...they are mostly day 2 talent within our range...TE or WR it is I guess.

Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#14 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Now that Joe has matured he has proven to be comparable to Brady at least. He DID outplay him the last few times the two teams met. Once could be a fluke, twice is a habit.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#15 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,410 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Why does every thread turn into a flacco one?

#16 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

TEs arent super expensive, but Pitta is probably top 10 or so in the league. The going rate is about 6-7M per year. I think someone will sign him for that.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#17 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

I don't think it will be too awful.  Though, if we low-ball him I'm sure he and his agent will just try to get a one-year deal.   Then he will probably be more expensive the next season.  Don't make the mistake we made with Flacco.  Just pay him a big deal now so it doesn't get bigger in the future.

We still need another tight end though.  They usually go late and I'd love to get the best one in the draft.  Considering our only other needs are re-upping the offensive line.  We will probably need a RT and C this offseason as well.  

#18 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

It might be smart to franchise next year to see if he's still the same player through an extended period. Tes aren't that expensive and would buy the team time. The team hasn't had the best luck recently with second contracts. Rice looks OLD a year after his, same with Ngata, Fat Suggs showed up to camp, and Webb got hurt. The last one I remember doing well was Yanda he's been cursed with Oher next to him.

#19 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

It might be smart to franchise next year to see if he's still the same player through an extended period. Tes aren't that expensive and would buy the team time. The team hasn't had the best luck recently with second contracts. Rice looks OLD a year after his, same with Ngata, Fat Suggs showed up to camp, and Webb got hurt. The last one I remember doing well was Yanda he's been cursed with Oher next to him.

Don't be so superstitious.  This is reality.  It's not like if we sign Pitta he will suddenly break every bone in his body or become the worst football player.  Our past success with contracts should have nothing to do with this.  It's like saying we haven't had a ton of luck drafting receivers (before Torrey) so we should never draft receivers.  It's just dumb.

#20 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

TEs arent super expensive, but Pitta is probably top 10 or so in the league. The going rate is about 6-7M per year. I think someone will sign him for that.

also keep in mind that teams have a minimum salary they must now hit.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users