152 replies to this topic

#1 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yesterday, the league announced to teams that they are projecting the salary cap for 2014 to be $126.3M, about $3M more than anticipated.  There's also a rumor that it could reach $127.5M, but I'll use the $126.3M figure for now.  That number is not final, but it's a good barometer for what we'll be looking at this offseason.  I've discussed this a bit in the Jacoby thread, but I'd like for this to have its own thread since this will affect more than just Jacoby.

As it currently stands, the Ravens have 37 players under contract, and with dead money included, we'll have approximately $111.9M on the books entering 2014.  At $126.3M (plus a $1.5M carry over from this year), we'll have $15.9M to play with, but that we will need to account for all RFA and ERFA tenders as well.

We can carve more off with these potential cuts.  I'm not saying that all of these guys will be gone, but all would save more than $1M, so they at least have to be considered.  Some other guys could be cut that would save <$1M, but I won't mention them here.

Potential Cuts:

Terrell Suggs (would save $7.8M, but more likely to be extended)

Jameel McClain (would save $3.2M)

Chris Canty (would save $1.8M)

Sam Koch (would save $1.6M)

Vonta Leach (would save $1.8M)

Total Potential Savings: $16.2M

Next we have our free agents.  I've included the franchise tag number with each of the guys we'd at least consider.

UFA:

Eugene Monroe (Franchise Tag: $11.1M)

Dennis Pitta (Franchise Tag: $6.7M)

Arthur Jones (Franchise Tag: $9.2M/$12.5M depending on whether he's DT or DE)

Jacoby Jones

Daryl Smith

James Ihedigbo

Terrence Cody

Ed Dickson

Michael Oher

Corey Graham

Jeromy Miles

Dallas Clark

Brandon Stokley

RFA:

Tandon Doss

Albert McClellan

Anthony Levine

ERFA:

Omar Brown

DJ Bryant

Josh Bynes

Adrian Hamilton

So, at the end of the day, we could have anywhere from $15.9M to $32.1M to play with, although that last number is assuming all potential cuts are actually cut.  That's before we sign any free agents and with anywhere from 32 to 37 guys under contract.  There's also the draft pool allocation, but that's pretty minimal and impossible to know the amount at this point, but you should probably allot $3M or so for that.

That extra $3M or so will really help us out.  I doubt we let Monroe or Pitta go, and it's possible that Pitta gets the FT at that amount.  That opens us up for more than 1 of Smith, Jones, Jones, or Ihedigbo if we really want to keep them.  Besides locking Monroe and Pitta up, I think the most important thing is to extend/restructure Suggs because he could save us a lot and really open the cap up to keep some of these guys around.

Edited by rmw10, 12 December 2013 - 02:07 PM.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#2 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I didn't know Doss would still be restricted after we cut him earlier this year.  Anyway, it looks like we will be okay next year in terms of cap room.  The expected increase definitely helped us.  As always, it'll be interesting to see if any potential FAs from other teams interest us more than those from our current squad.

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

I didn't know Doss would still be restricted after we cut him earlier this year.  Anyway, it looks like we will be okay next year in terms of cap room.  The expected increase definitely helped us.  As always, it'll be interesting to see if any potential FAs from other teams interest us more than those from our current squad.

Yeah since Doss was cut, his rookie contract was voided, I guess you could say.  We re-signed him to a 1 year deal, and since he'll only have 3 years of service time, he's restricted.  I wouldn't be surprised if we non-tender him and re-sign him to a minimum contract instead of the original round tender.

But yeah, that increase, even though it's minimal, really helps.  That could be the difference in one player we anticipated losing actually staying.  I think most people were looking forward to Monroe, Pitta, and one of the remaining 4 in the top 6.  That probably opens it up to 2 guys out of the remaining 4 if we really want them back.  I still think Art Jones has priced himself out of Baltimore, but at least we have room to put up a fight if that's what it comes to.

#4 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Yesterday, the league announced to teams that they are projecting the salary cap for 2014 to be $126.3M, about $3M more than anticipated.  There's also a rumor that it could reach $127.5M, but I'll use the $126.3M figure for now.  That number is not final, but it's a good barometer for what we'll be looking at this offseason.  I've discussed this a bit in the Jacoby thread, but I'd like for this to have its own thread since this will affect more than just Jacoby.

As it currently stands, the Ravens have 37 players under contract, and with dead money included, we'll have approximately $111.9M on the books entering 2014.  At $126.3M (plus a $1.5M carry over from this year), we'll have $15.9M to play with, but that we will need to account for all RFA and ERFA tenders as well.

We can carve more off with these potential cuts.  I'm not saying that all of these guys will be gone, but all would save more than $1M, so they at least have to be considered.  Some other guys could be cut that would save <$1M, but I won't mention them here.

Potential Cuts:

Terrell Suggs (would save $7.8M, but more likely to be extended)

Jameel McClain (would save $3.2M)

Chris Canty (would save $1.8M)

Sam Koch (would save $1.6M)

Vonta Leach (would save $1.8M)

Total Potential Savings: $16.2M

Next we have our free agents.  I've included the franchise tag number with each of the guys we'd at least consider.

UFA:

Eugene Monroe (Franchise Tag: $11.1M)

Dennis Pitta (Franchise Tag: $6.7M)

Arthur Jones (Franchise Tag: $9.2M/$12.5M depending on whether he's DT or DE)

Jacoby Jones

Daryl Smith

James Ihedigbo

Terrence Cody

Ed Dickson

Michael Oher

Corey Graham

Jeromy Miles

Dallas Clark

Brandon Stokley

RFA:

Tandon Doss

Albert McClellan

Anthony Levine

ERFA:

Omar Brown

DJ Bryant

Josh Bynes

Adrian Hamilton

So, at the end of the day, we could have anywhere from $15.9M to $32.1M to play with, although that last number is assuming all potential cuts are actually cut.  That's before we sign any free agents and with anywhere from 32 to 37 guys under contract.  There's also the draft pool allocation, but that's pretty minimal and impossible to know the amount at this point, but you should probably allot $3M or so for that.

That extra $3M or so will really help us out.  I doubt we let Monroe or Pitta go, and it's possible that Pitta gets the FT at that amount.  That opens us up for more than 1 of Smith, Jones, Jones, or Ihedigbo if we really want to keep them.  Besides locking Monroe and Pitta up, I think the most important thing is to extend/restructure Suggs because he could save us a lot and really open the cap up to keep some of these guys around.

I don't see any of the following (strike through their names) returning

Edited by redlobster, 12 December 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#5 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

I wonder if Ozzie thinks about a guy like Jairus Byrd if we have a little more wiggle room.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

I wonder if Ozzie thinks about a guy like Jairus Byrd if we have a little more wiggle room.

I would, but Ozzie isn't the type to go for one of those high $ guys.

#7 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

I'd hope we restructure Suggs to something like a 3 year deal. Would hope he would take a reasonable contract, considering he was made the highest paid at the moment I think, when he did get the original contract. I see the team locking up Pitta and Monroe. Daryl Smith could be back and feel Jacoby could be brought back for less. Would love to resign Art, but don't see it happening. Most of the guys though I think are replaceable

#8 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'd hope we restructure Suggs to something like a 3 year deal. Would hope he would take a reasonable contract, considering he was made the highest paid at the moment I think, when he did get the original contract. I see the team locking up Pitta and Monroe. Daryl Smith could be back and feel Jacoby could be brought back for less. Would love to resign Art, but don't see it happening. Most of the guys though I think are replaceable

I really wish Arthur Jones was affordable.  I saw a tweet today that he's our #1 run defender.  Combined with his inside pass rushing ability, that's a very valuable commodity.  Unfortunately, I think a team is going to throw a good amount of money his way.  I'm glad that he broke out because he deserves it, but that break out probably puts him out of our range, or even what we're willing to pay.

#9 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I really wish Arthur Jones was affordable.  I saw a tweet today that he's our #1 run defender.  Combined with his inside pass rushing ability, that's a very valuable commodity.  Unfortunately, I think a team is going to throw a good amount of money his way.  I'm glad that he broke out because he deserves it, but that break out probably puts him out of our range, or even what we're willing to pay.

Ngata is still our #1 run defender, I'm not sure who would thinkg otherwise.

#10 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ngata is still our #1 run defender, I'm not sure who would thinkg otherwise.

They used some site.  It wasn't PFF, but another one of those types of things.  I'm not big on those types of sites, but I thought it was interesting.  It wasn't strictly opinion from whoever tweeted it.  But hey, either way, if he can stop the run and offer interior pass rush, he's a valuable guy.

#11 JamesRaven

JamesRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Wouldn't it be great if all our players thought, 'you know what, I don't need all this money', and took a pay cut :)

#12 xxhighriser

xxhighriser

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

We need to make sure we get our offensive guys (Monroe, Pitta, maybe Jacoby) then defensively I'd like Smith back but if not it's whatever.

RAVENNATION

36104234.png

#13 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,624 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

I don't see any of the following (strike through their names) returning

Other than Daryl Smith, looks about right to me

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#14 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,624 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I really wish Arthur Jones was affordable. I saw a tweet today that he's our #1 run defender. Combined with his inside pass rushing ability, that's a very valuable commodity. Unfortunately, I think a team is going to throw a good amount of money his way. I'm glad that he broke out because he deserves it, but that break out probably puts him out of our range, or even what we're willing to pay.

I don't see Jones getting the huge payday that many people think he will get. My guess is in the $4M - $5M per year range.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#15 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

They used some site.  It wasn't PFF, but another one of those types of things.  I'm not big on those types of sites, but I thought it was interesting.  It wasn't strictly opinion from whoever tweeted it.  But hey, either way, if he can stop the run and offer interior pass rush, he's a valuable guy.

Jones has more "stops" but he also plays a different position where he is expected to make more plays. I'm not saying that Jones has been poor by any means, but Ngata has been a beast against the run. Jones has really become a very good all around player. I hope we can keep him, but it's tough to say whether or not we will be able. One thing that does benefit our chances is he only has 4 sacks on the year. While that is only 1 stat, most of the higher paid DTs are close to double digit sacks. I don't think he can command a top contract.

#16 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Jones has more "stops" but he also plays a different position where he is expected to make more plays. I'm not saying that Jones has been poor by any means, but Ngata has been a beast against the run. Jones has really become a very good all around player. I hope we can keep him, but it's tough to say whether or not we will be able. One thing that does benefit our chances is he only has 4 sacks on the year. While that is only 1 stat, most of the higher paid DTs are close to double digit sacks. I don't think he can command a top contract.

I won't argue either way lol.  I was just reporting the tweet.  If he's 1st, great.  If he's 2nd or 3rd, also great.  I think he's a very good player no matter where he's ranked at stopping the run.

But yeah, we're definitely still in the hunt for him.  I'd like to think we can keep him, but I don't know.  Either way, if there's a guy that deserves a pay day, it's Art Jones.  I'm happy for the guy.

#17 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,355 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

Too much money for a FS, and Ozzie is more apt to go for a value solution (if there is one) or the draft.

That's good news that the cap is more than expected.  With Leach and McClain getting cut and the money we already have, locking Monroe and Pitta up and getting a few value guys is a strong possibility.  Around half of what we already have is going to Monroe, I don't know how much Pitta will wind up costing.

#18 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Other than Daryl Smith, looks about right to me

I'd like Smith and brown as the starting ilb I just think he (smith) will be too expensive , after finally getting to showcase himself with a good team/organization

#19 5aiah

5aiah

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I don't think he can command a top contract.

Depends if his brother Bones comes along to hammer out the deal. I doubt we can bring Arthur back though it would be ideal. I'm wondering if maybe Pernell could move back to defensive end. Not to mention the high hopes for Kapron. I'm not worried about losing Arthur to be honest, we are pretty deep.

#20 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

A lot of talk about losing Arthur Jones, but Ozzie seems to have these moves already in mind, such as when he drafted Kapron Lewis-Moore. He is thinking a year ahead in developing these guys and letting them learn. 

Either way, I don't think getting Art Jones back is make or break. It would be nice, but not the biggest loss. I think losing Daryl Smith would be a bigger loss.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Haloti Ngata as a potential restructure. Sure, he's good, but he is not deserving of his mammoth contract with the way he just isn't dominating like he used to.

Edited by BmoreBird22, 12 December 2013 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users