34 replies to this topic

#1 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

I dont know the exact date, but we cant be too far from the one year anniversary of hearing those words,

".. today I told my team..... that this would be my last ride. "

We are at least three games shy of our first "post Ray Lewis" season.

I wonder what people think of this new era.

Unfortunately I have yet to go to a game at M&T this season.  (If I dont make it to the Pats game it will be 12 years since I have not made it to at least one home game  )

I can only speculate the intro is just missing a little something.

There is no question it has been different with out him.  Not seeing him at the very least in sweats on the side line is just very strange.

I dont see the leadership void I was expecting to see.  I am not saying there isnt a void, just not what I was expecting.  Most of these guys remain very focused and determined.  Early in the season it seemed his on field smarts and leadership seemed clear, but our D has tightened up.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for defense meetings.  Seeing the kind of dialog Lewis and Pees had. 
All in all I dont see the huge difference I was expecting to see.  I would imagine behind the closed doors he is missed way more than we see.  He was a true leader in every way, shape and form.  Make no mistake, much of who the Ravens are today is due to Ray Lewis.  I hope that will never change.

Dont be surprised to see him back at the castle if we make the post season though.

What do you all think of our first "post Ray Lewis " season ?  (thus far )

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#2 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,627 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Growing pains, as to be expected.  This defense would be alot worse without Darryl Smith as neither Bynes nor McClain can cover anything that gets past their 6 yard placement on the field.  Those guys can't backpedal worth a damn.

Having a rookie FS and rookie ILB would have been a recipe for disaster with this defense I think.

Ray was essentially what Bynes and McClain are now, ontop of being a field on the coach.  I loved watching SoundFX with him calling out different guys' assignments when they were lost or calling out likely plays in certain scenarios.

The GOAT.

#3 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

I think we are doing alright. There is an adjustment period, and our franchise as a whole has lost a little bit of attention with him gone, but that was to be expected.

CABMSM-1.jpg

ARIZONA CARDINALS GM

#4 Poes Crows

Poes Crows

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Ray Lewis was still a very effective player in his last year.

We gave up over the middle short pass plays and we gave up points, but the defense was steady. It could be counted upon. We were great in the Red Zone and we played with key injuries to Lewis, Suggs, and Webb. Went through that stretch where we lost 4 of 5. Lost to Washington, when our D did lapse late.  Denver got us, but there was a 14 point swing at a point in the game where we couldn't overcome it. Pittsburgh got us, but they usually take one. We crushed the Giants and then we lost to the Bengals in a game that meant nothing to either side.

This year's defense lacks consistent play at safety. It's an achilles heel for us. If we don't get some pressure vs Stafford it's liable to be exposed.  No sacks for us the last two games if I recall correctly. Linebacker play has been decent. Jimmy Smith has moved way up. 

The issue is late game defensive lapses. Don't know if it been merely an aberration or if our guys really do gas out in the 4th.  It's happened enough, you have to believe its the latter.  They get to suckin air late.  Last year's defense was not that unreliable.

Every game the last three weeks has felt like an elimination game, but we played a 5-6 Yets team, a 5-6 Steelers team and a 2-9-1 Minnesota Team.  Teams likely to miss the playoffs.  None of those games were easy. Fortunately Geno Smith helped us.

Now we go to Detroit. This is the first real elimination game. A team with a winning record, playing at home. A team under performing with the talent to explode on somebody. They keep other teams in the game though with untimely turnovers, poor penalties, poor coaching decisions. They are a very talented, but very dysfunctional team. If they played a game with poise, we wouldn't have a prayer.  But each week they find a way to waste their immense talent.

Hopefully they do so this week.  

John Smith of Titanic lore did not board a lifeboat Ozzie. A Captain that has blundered does the honorable thing. He goes down with his ship.

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

As you said, its a different era.   As much as the fans, players respects him, we already moved on.    I'm surprised as how fast we moved on, but that's just how it is, when the organization is always winning and looking forward to bigger things every year.

I'm just proud to be a Ravens fan and proud of Ray on what he has accomplished.   He'll always have a home @ the bank.  

I have a feeling he'll be like Cal Ripken where he comes to the stadium every few times.   He'll be around imo.

#6 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Baptism with fire!!

#Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,104 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

When I changed my name I was hesitant to putting 52 over 5 lol - since it's a new era and all.

I actually like what we've done so far. Every game we've played we had a chance to win late. Even week 1 @ Denver. The issues we've faced on defense without 52 or 20 have mostly been communication and instincts. Our defense hasn't been closing out games this year. Some might think it's because a big piece of leadership is gone. I think it's a lot more because of inexperience as a unit, not to mention we have a mark on us from being champs. Also not being able to run the ball effectively hurts.

So far in this new era I like what I've been seeing. There's always things that need improvement but I think the teams handling the transition great.

Edited by Gordo52, 10 December 2013 - 11:25 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 2legit2quit

2legit2quit

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'm just upset that the last person do the Lewis dance in our stadium is a steeler.

#9 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,995 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Well, our defense is a lot better. Take that anyway you like it, but it's a fact. There have been some growing pains, but that is bound to happen with all the new faces, several being rookies. I don't really think our team lacks for leadership either.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#10 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

As much as people made a huge deal of Ray Lewis retiring, I don't think it really had much of an impact on this season.

The team is going through a rebuilding period. The FO has invested alot of time and energy into the defense last offseason and the offense is struggling with a lack of depth (mostly at OL and WR) , after some key injuries, because of it. That has been a far bigger issue than us missing Lewis.

To be honest, Daryl Smith is doing just fine replacing Ray on the field and the team is doing just fine leadership-wise, showing the same grit and poise they always had.

The Ravens are still the Ravens. It isn't always easy, it doesn't always look good, but they keep fighting to the end and you have to appreciate that as a fan.

bJNF689.jpg

#11 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,163 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

It's been a completely mediocre season devoid of any real identity, thats what we're missing wether it's Ray or something else. On paper this looked like a team to be reckoned with but it's been a fairly unimpressive season as a whole.

With that said it's learning to win ugly that gets you to the Super Bowl.

#12 JEEPercreepermd

JEEPercreepermd

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

I loved watching Ray play football but by the end of the playoffs, I didn't want to ever here the term last ride ever again lol
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

#13 TSizzle00

TSizzle00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Ray was worse than people care to admit last season. I think the guy is one of the greatest players of all time but last season he struggled greatly.

Metalsiren00 on ESPN.COM

GO RAVENS

AFCN

#14 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,624 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's been a completely mediocre season devoid of any real identity, thats what we're missing wether it's Ray or something else. On paper this looked like a team to be reckoned with but it's been a fairly unimpressive season as a whole.

With that said it's learning to win ugly that gets you to the Super Bowl.

Precisely how I feel.

I think losing a personality and leader like Ray is part of it, for sure. His football intelligence is the main thing we miss about him and Ed, that becomes very apparent every week...
But that is also encouraging. It tells me that with experience, these guys can hopefully come together and get the kinks sorted out.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#15 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

This team is competing every week. Every game has been close save for the Broncos week 1. At home we're pulling out the close wins and on the road we're losing too many. I think this is where we miss some football IQ - knowing how to stop the other team's offense on 3rd and 4th down late in a game.

Im encouraged for now and the future. This is a team that on paper we the fans thought could compete. But most thought this would be a season of struggling. To some extent it has been, but we're still right in the thick of things.

If this is our down season (and I think we can only get better next year) then things are really looking up for another 4-5 year run of being legitimate Super Bowl contenders.
Google me.

#16 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Precisely how I feel.

I think losing a personality and leader like Ray is part of it, for sure. His football intelligence is the main thing we miss about him and Ed, that becomes very apparent every week...
But that is also encouraging. It tells me that with experience, these guys can hopefully come together and get the kinks sorted out.

Great point!  Ray Lewis will always be my dude!  Always!  I can't and won't erase all of the wonderful memories that Ray Lewis and....Ed Reed brought to the Ravens just because they are no longer on the roster and not going into battle every week with the Ravens this season or in seasons to come!  With that being said;  I don't see this as the Ravens moving on "from" Lewis but these are the Ravens "after" Lewis.  That's a revelation of a difference!  They have struggled but I believe that that was to be expected to some degree with the amount of key players that were traded, released and retired.  Now, they are slowly coming together and discovering who they are in the post Ray Lewis era and that isn't a bad thing!  All I know is that I am riding with them through their ups and downs all the way to the end and beyond!  Go Ravens!!!

#Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#17 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Definitely been an interesting year in Ravens football, without Sugar Ray. In this recent streak we're finally hitting our stride I think. Team confidence looks to be at an all time high for the season, just at the right time. I have confidence that we can run the table to go 10-6 .. No one will want to see this team in the Wild Card if that happens. 

#18 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Well, our defense is a lot better. Take that anyway you like it, but it's a fact. There have been some growing pains, but that is bound to happen with all the new faces, several being rookies. I don't really think our team lacks for leadership either.

I'm right there with you.

Its a different thing if we are talking about losing Lewis in his prime.  Sure he was a great leader but I do think we have leadership on the team (nothing that matches Lewis' level) as well.  I know a lot of people want to point to the loss of Reed & Lewis as the reason to our struggles this year, but to me its been about the personnel and execution on offense more.  

If Reed & Lewis were still here, I doubt our record would be any different than it is now.   I can't say the same if we had Pitta & Boldin instead. 

Posted Image

#19 NFLfan123

NFLfan123

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

Lol. The heading reminded me of the "Ray Lewis needs to go" thread

2014 Oakland Raiders GM

#20 NFLfan123

NFLfan123

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'm right there with you.

Its a different thing if we are talking about losing Lewis in his prime.  Sure he was a great leader but I do think we have leadership on the team (nothing that matches Lewis' level) as well.  I know a lot of people want to point to the loss of Reed & Lewis as the reason to our struggles this year, but to me its been about the personnel and execution on offense more.  

If Reed & Lewis were still here, I doubt our record would be any different than it is now.   I can't say the same if we had Pitta & Boldin instead. 

Agreed

2014 Oakland Raiders GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users