Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

Coaching decisions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Why are we not taking points in games when they continually present themselves?

Why do we not get the ball in the hands of our playmakers in critical situations? Throw to Leach on 4th and 1?

I could go on but these scenarios keep presenting themselves game after game. Its like we keep getting cute and out thinking ourselves. I hate to say this, but history keeps repeating itself as Billick used to do the same dumb crap.

Anybody else care to bring up any other questionable coaching decisions that has been on their minds?
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Why do we not get the ball in the hands of our playmakers in critical situations? Throw to Leach on 4th and 1?

I could go on but these scenarios keep presenting themselves game after game. Its like we keep getting cute and out thinking ourselves. I hate to say this, but history keeps repeating itself as Billick used to do the same dumb crap.

Anybody else care to bring up any other questionable coaching decisions that has been on their minds?

Simply put, we are getting the ball to our play makers, at least when they're open. We gave Rice plenty of carries and a lot of passes. Marlon Brown was open all day, and we fed him the ball. Pitta just came back, and we gave him six passes, and he made the most of it. We gave Leach a chance to convert with one yard to go.

We didn't take the FG yesterday because it wouldn't have mattered. It was TD or die. 

Edited by The Raven, 09 December 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#3 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,413 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:08 AM

Simply put, we are getting the ball to our play makers, at least when they're open. We gave Rice plenty of carries and a lot of passes. Marlon Brown was open all day, and we fed him the ball. Pitta just came back, and we gave him six passes, and he made the most of it. We gave Leach a chance to convert with one yard to go.

We didn't take the FG yesterday because it wouldn't have mattered. It was TD or die.

hes on about the earlier one when it was a 5 or 6 point difference. We had a fourth down went and leach got stuffed. if we just kicked that fg we would only have needed a fg to tie or win when joe hit pitta.

In a close game in the snow, with a close to automatic kicker we should have took the points.

#4 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Going for the FG, in the end, wouldn't have changed much I don't think.  On our next 4 drives we went INT, TD, TD  (ST), TD.

The only difference is that we would have been up by 6 points after our second TD (or 7 if we went for 2 points on the ST TD).  That might have lead us to settle for OT on that last drive that started w/ 45 seconds left in the game, rather than driving down the field for the win.

#5 JEEPercreepermd

JEEPercreepermd

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

I was in agreement with the call to go for it on 4th and half a yard. There is no reason why this offensive line can't get 1 yard when we need it. Its disgusting.
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

#6 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,413 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I was in agreement with the call to go for it on 4th and half a yard. There is no reason why this offensive line can't get 1 yard when we need it. Its disgusting.

but the fact of th3 matter is they can't. They've failed on multiple short yardage situations all year. Leach up the gut was a stupid stubborn call. Spread them out and try to get rice space. Or roll flacco out with a throw run option.

Thats are best chance of converting short yardage situations. Yet we still try to bully teams by running up the gut

#7 Speed Kills

Speed Kills

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

You know why? because our head coach is a boss and goes for the win instead of playing it safe. In Carolina they call him Riverboat Ron, I wish we had a similarly cool nickname for Harbs since he also takes tons of high risk high reward chances and I absolutely love it. More importantly the players love it too.

#8 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

You know why? because our head coach is a boss and goes for the win instead of playing it safe. In Carolina they call him Riverboat Ron, I wish we had a similarly cool nickname for Harbs since he also takes tons of high risk high reward chances and I absolutely love it. More importantly the players love it too.

I think so too. I think that instills confidence in the players when a HC puts faith in his players like that. Its funny, it seems like after Cam left, so did conservative Harbaugh.

#9 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

hes on about the earlier one when it was a 5 or 6 point difference. We had a fourth down went and leach got stuffed. if we just kicked that fg we would only have needed a fg to tie or win when joe hit pitta.

In a close game in the snow, with a close to automatic kicker we should have took the points.

Perhaps that decision was made with the prediction that the defense was going to allow points, and the coaches thought it was going to be TD or die. If I knew my defense had been terrible all year in clutch situations, I'd go for a TD too. IIRC, there was only 5 or 6 minutes left at that point. If the defense allowed a TD right there, we would have been even more points down. It was certainly a gamble, and I see both sides, but I'm behind Harbs on this one.

When there's one yard to go, you'd better convert on a FB dive. It should be automatic, but with this line I guess it's not. With how our defense has been in the 4th quarter, I too would have went for the TD.

Edited by The Raven, 11 December 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#10 frozen joe flacco fan

frozen joe flacco fan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

There was another coaching decision that almost came back to bite us in the tail. Coach Harbaugh decided to go for it on 4th and we didn't even come close to making it. Not kicking a FG in that situation could have affected the final outcome of the game. Fortunately, the players bailed out Coach Harbaugh who would have most assuredly been the goat of the game in sharp contrast to the G.O.A.T.. Being an aggressive coach is fine until it deprives one's team the opportunity to win or tie a game, which almost happened until Toby Gerhart's run put the Vikings ahead 19-15.  

#11 RBates

RBates

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

The only Question I have is-

Why is our Head coach, still learning how to coach a game of football.  If you don't know to go for it when you have only been in the enemy territory twice the whole game. It's the 4th quarter, you are down 20-0, 14:20 left in the game. Still down three scores if you make it.  I have no words.

Get it together Harbaugh.   SMH 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users