170 replies to this topic

#1 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I really don't understand it.  I have seen very little wrong with the defensive scheme this year.  Almost all big plays have come from mistakes in execution.  A defensive back failing in 1 on 1 coverage, a player not playing the zone correctly allowing an easy big play, missed tackles.

Why are people blaming Pees?  On both of those quick TDs in the 4th quarter there were multiple players who had chances to make the tackle but simply whiffed.  Not his fault at all.

Give me a logical explanation why he should be fired.  Not just how the defense is playing,  but something wrong with his scheme/play calling SPECIFICALLY that has happened this season.

#2 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Because most of the people here can do a much better job.
:rolleyes:
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#3 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't think Pees is the cause of the problems like op stated its more execution. Why does the entire defense forget how to tackle in the fourth quarter? Pees can't help that .

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#4 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Very little blame can be put on Pees. He has a small role in things (like rushing only 3 guys, the only time you should be doing that is in a clear prevent situation at the end of a game) but ultimately our players are guys responsible for executing. Gerhart's TD could have easily been stopped with our guys not running into one another and tackling well. Frankly, I'm much more worried about how little we've been able to get at the opponent's QB the last two games. The stat sheet doesn't list pressures and hurries but even those serm to have been few and far between these last two games. I'm not one of the ones trying to blame Pees but he AND our pass rushers have to step it up in that regard with Stafford, Brady, and Dalton left on the schedule.

Edited by Corvus, 09 December 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#5 RavensFan34950

RavensFan34950

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Pees isn't the reason Webb couldn't cover yesterday. Pees isn't the reason for Suggs recent play. Pees isn't the reason our safety's couldn't tackle yesterday. Look all i know is he isn't killing the team at all. He knows how to call a defense. I mean sure i wish he would be a little more aggressive but all in all he's doing pretty good. Im happy he's our coordinator. And less likely to leave for a head coaching job else where.

HalotiNgatacopy.jpg

#6 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think some just don't want to believe that a lot of our players on D have been under performing and look to the coach to lay blame. And I bet if you were to go back and look at who they are, many would be the same folks that have been blaming The Flacco and the O for losing the tight games.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#7 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,718 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Uninformed fans? Perhaps...
Posted Image

#8 Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

he doesn't really read the game to make adjustments in time

if game plan fails and the other team plays us a different way to what we prepared for, we're in big trouble as the play calling doesn't help the players re-adjust

at times we play too conservative and at other times we throw everything we got towards the qb, just to be beat by a screen or a run through the middle

#9 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,097 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Scapegoat.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#10 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think some people dislike pees because his playing calling isn't as aggressive as Chuck Pagano or Rey Ryan but I'm fine with him being the defensive coordinator .

#11 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Our defense has struggled with half time adjustments, most defenses do honestly, we are just especially bad at it. 

CABMSM-1.jpg

ARIZONA CARDINALS GM

#12 JohnJohnson

JohnJohnson

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I disagree with rushing 3 in a hail mary situation. But I have to give credit to the Vikings offensive coordinator for yesterday's game. The Gerhart draw was a great call, and the screen pass was smart (especially because it was so slippery). Those plays should have been chunk plays, but not TDs. I'll chalk up the bad tackling to the snow.

#13 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

something wrong with our pass rush or 4 man pressure or tackling or coverage.....It falls on our players...

Is this the scheme or the abilities of our players? I think it's 50/50 but yesterday 80% was our players' faults on mental breakdown for late game scoring......

Pees didn't do anything that would sound a red alarm for me.....

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#14 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Why the hate on Dean Pees? 

1. Baltimore fans are of the belief that you have to blitz to be a good defense because of Rex and his organized chaos.

2. Fans would rather blame the coaches instead of the players that are obviously not producing as well as they should. Easier to blame a coach.

3. Well, because he's not Rex or Pagano. That's another reason.

If you can't get pressure with four, that's on the players and not the DC. We haven't gotten consistent four man pressure in a month.

Edited by The Raven, 09 December 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#15 bayonetxwork

bayonetxwork

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

While some can argue with his fourth quarter passiveness, I see most of the flaws on defense coming from extremely poor execution. At the end of the day, the defense as a whole needs to do a better job at getting off of the field in the fourth quarter and getting to the quarterback.

This defense is ridiculous. They play lights out for three quarters. Do the opposite in the final quarter. Overall, I think we are in a pretty good position--and I don't think the defense should be our primary concern...

#16 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

For as much money we've invested between Suggs, Doom, Ngata, and Canty, it's amazing that our pass rush is so damn inconsistent. 

#17 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

I think some people dislike pees because his playing calling isn't as aggressive as Chuck Pagano or Rey Ryan but I'm fine with him being the defensive coordinator .

Yes ,you hit the jackpot. We are just not used to his style .

#18 Dr. Kelley

Dr. Kelley

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yes ,you hit the jackpot. We are just not used to his style .

What style is that? The " not doing your job" method of defensive coordination?

He's just anothet harbaugh superfriend who will be kept around way too long.

#19 Dr. Kelley

Dr. Kelley

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

For as much money we've invested between Suggs, Doom, Ngata, and Canty, it's amazing that our pass rush is so damn inconsistent.

Also the tackling has been extremely poor. Matt elam had played all season and still hasn't learned to tackle. It's not much of a mystery how we get gouged for large chunks of yardage when our only way to stop the other team is diving half -assedly at the opponents ankles.

#20 TSizzle00

TSizzle00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Pees had little to do with the 100 missed tackles on those late VIkings TDs. Plus that one by that WR was great, he had RB vision and our safety couldn't adjust on the snow.

Metalsiren00 on ESPN.COM

GO RAVENS

AFCN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users