26 replies to this topic

#1 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

Obviously Daryl Smith is holding the middle down...

But so far this season he has not played much and seems like a project or developmetal  player, I knew he was raw but I am surprised we have not gotten any use out of him. But he did have a fumble force today Im pretty sure. Im scratching my head as to why we do not trot him out  there more.

2013 stats- 13 total tackles. 0.5 sacks. 1Fumble Force

He has not played enough yet to truly judge him or grade him but I guess he just needs more time to learn and grow.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#2 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,627 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

He just needs to get bigger and stronger in his upper body.  Outside of that he's exactly what you want at MLB in this day in age.

#3 Static

Static

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

Can he tackle? Because I heard we need a new safety.

Bodybuilder , Rugby Player , and Diehard fan.

#4 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,424 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

He will develop in time into a decent player, I just can't believe how good Daryl Smith is right now.

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

He looks good in small stints so far this year.  He has a knack for pressuring the QB up the middle.  As long as you pair him with a run-stopping, sure tackler, I wouldn't see why he can't excel.  He's no slouch in that area himself, but he could stand to put on a bit more muscle.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#6 Geving

Geving

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Has looked good to me. Obviously needs more seasoning and add some muscle. But he will be a great player for us for years to come. No doubt in my mind.

He's fast, can cover, good blitzer and will only get better.

Smith has been awesome, and McClain is a pretty good run stopper and has a lot more experience. Brown's time will come.

tumblr_lvia7kopmJ1qcplw1o1_400.jpg

#7 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

I still have high hopes for Arthur.  Like Bltravens said, he is the prototypical LB for today's NFL.  He battled some injuries in TC, hasn't seen much playing time.  But I think he can still develop into a fine LB for us.  

Posted Image

#8 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

He hasn't played enough to let us know for sure. However, if Ozzie is smart he just needs to resign D. Smith to a 3 year contract.
"We are the Champions my friends"!

#9 CoolRodney

CoolRodney

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I think he can be a good player.

#10 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

Arthur Brown is not the prototypical ILB of the 2010s.Daryl Smith,Luke Kuechly,Brian Cushing,Kiko Alonso,Daryl Washington and Paul Posluszny are the prototypical linebackers of today's game.They're big 6 foot 2/6 foot 3 long arm athletic guys who cover these tightend happy teams in the nfl and can still make all the hits.

#11 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

He's absolutely terrible taking on and shedding blocks thus far. He really struggles to tackle bigger backs. He desperately needs to get bigger and stronger. But damn he is excellent in coverage.

Basically everything I thought about him when we drafted him. Terrible against the run and amazing against the pass.

#12 Yum Chickens

Yum Chickens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Well I hope he doesn't take as long as Jimmy Smith did to develop =P

RUH ROH! It's Ray Rice!!!

#13 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,175 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Brown is the prototypical WILL linebacker.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#14 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

I think he could really do some damage in a 43. I would think he can be so good in it that we might want to consider switching to a 43 for him. Or at least do a 43 like seattle which is basically a 34 in a 43 front.

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

I think he could really do some damage in a 43. I would think he can be so good in it that we might want to consider switching to a 43 for him. Or at least do a 43 like seattle which is basically a 34 in a 43 front.

I do think our younger players might be better suited for it. Wouldn't be a big transition for most of our guys. I could get with it.

#16 Ravens1991

Ravens1991

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

if Spagnola(sp) is the DC in the waiting then we def will probably transition to a 43 soon. I am shocked we haven't yet because Harbaugh coached under Jim Johnson. If we can grab Stephon Tuitt in the draft we definetly can show a lot more 43 looks.

http://www.fieldgull...ility-diversity

that is a good explanation of seattle defense. If we take Clinton-Dix we maybe able to pull this off. I think Doom could be the LEO and Suggs standing up. IDK if we can do this every down but we definetly should have the talent to mix this in.

Edited by Ravens1991, 08 December 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#17 PurpleReign92

PurpleReign92

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

I like the 3 middle inside guys at linebacker.  Daryl smith, Art brown and Jameel McClain these guys are doing will in the Dean Peas 3-4 defense.

Edited by PurpleReign92, 08 December 2013 - 11:52 PM.

Champs!

#18 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,355 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

if Spagnola(sp) is the DC in the waiting then we def will probably transition to a 43 soon. I am shocked we haven't yet because Harbaugh coached under Jim Johnson. If we can grab Stephon Tuitt in the draft we definetly can show a lot more 43 looks.

http://www.fieldgull...ility-diversity

that is a good explanation of seattle defense. If we take Clinton-Dix we maybe able to pull this off. I think Doom could be the LEO and Suggs standing up. IDK if we can do this every down but we definetly should have the talent to mix this in.

Theoretically, Spags would institute the 'Giants' defense, which is a defensive scheme I kinda like.  The question is about the team in transition, and about his ability as a coordinator.  He was a bust as a HC, and he's only been a DC two seasons.  One he won a Super Bowl, the other he coordinated one of the worst defenses in NFL history.  Obviously the Saints lacked talent at a lot of positions, but still they've been better with minimal changes this season.  Who is the real Steve Spagnuolo?

For the record, in a 4-3 set Suggs and Doom are both DEs.  It would be foolish to stand them up.  But I'm all for transitioning to the 4-3, with all the evolution of the passing game I think it makes more sense.  It reduces the personnel changes when you run nickel, which teams are forced to do more often now.  As long as you build your front seven right, you can have success.

Edited by T3hRaven, 08 December 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#19 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

He's not raw or developmental. He is playing a position where we have a ton of depth, and has played well when on the field. He has been our best coverage LB when out there, which is impressive considering how well Daryl Smith has played as well.

The only thing Brown could use is a little more bulk, but his closing speed and ability to shoot gaps is special.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#20 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,627 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

Theoretically, Spags would institute the 'Giants' defense, which is a defensive scheme I kinda like.  The question is about the team in transition, and about his ability as a coordinator.  He was a bust as a HC, and he's only been a DC two seasons.  One he won a Super Bowl, the other he coordinated one of the worst defenses in NFL history.  Obviously the Saints lacked talent at a lot of positions, but still they've been better with minimal changes this season.  Who is the real Steve Spagnuolo?

For the record, in a 4-3 set Suggs and Doom are both DEs.  It would be foolish to stand them up.  But I'm all for transitioning to the 4-3, with all the evolution of the passing game I think it makes more sense.  It reduces the personnel changes when you run nickel, which teams are forced to do more often now.  As long as you build your front seven right, you can have success.

Doom gets rocked in the 43 as a DE.  He doesn't have the length or build.  Suggs can last, he's a universal player.  We have plenty of guys that can play the DT and NT in a 43.  We actually are even close to LB right now as well, though Smith would need replacing soon.  Though it's pointless.  We've been playing multiple fronts since 1999 I believe.  

I don't trust Spags as a DC, his NO defense was horrific and in NY he just unleashed Tuck, Umenyiora and Strahan.  We could have coordinated that defense.

Edited by Bltravens, 09 December 2013 - 01:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users