Untitled Document
Preseason Schedule      Official Mobile App      @Ravens on Twitter      on Instagram   

Photo

John Harbaugh Challenges

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'm hoping John can use the red flag correctly.  That touchdown of Torrey's he didn't challenge against the steelers was huge to me,  I was freaking out watching it, if we didn't score could of been the difference in the game, Please challenged Touchdown's John. 

I don't know whats going on, but we have to get better at challenging John! Denver game and some others come to mind, this could be the difference moving forward.

Also, let's run the clock down late game!  Whats the point of snapping it with 15 sec on play clock, when you give the other team the ball back with way more time then they should have.  John said in a press conference its so they can stay in rhythm, the clock management is more important late game with a lead!  Let's get these head coaching mistakes cleaned up!

#2 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Challenges aren't all on Harbaugh. There's a staff that reviews the plays as they're replayed and tells Hat a ugh whether or not it's a good challenge. You also have to remember that Harbaugh himself doesn't have the replays always available like we do. And furthermore, if he loses a challenge, that's a very crucial timeout.
I can't speak much for the late game clock management, but it's a duel edged sword to me. What if the other team scores late and the Ravens need a little time to score, much like the Cowboys vs Lions game. It goes both ways to me.

#3 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Very true, I should of said, the whole Raven's replay team, they need to get it together!  How is the jumbotron at the M&T for replays like Torrey's all most touchdown?  Because on TV it looked clearly in!

#4 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

I would love to see the clock get milked late game with a lead though, take there time for comebacks!

#5 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

Very true, I should of said, the whole Raven's replay team, they need to get it together!  How is the jumbotron at the M&T for replays like Torrey's all most touchdown?  Because on TV it looked clearly in!

The touchdown was close, and you have to remember that it has to be unquestionable evidence(can't remember the exact term) to overturn the call on the field. I guess they didn't see it as being enough to overturn it.

#6 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

True, what I mean't was its been tough for us to score TD's this year, and are oline really doesn't get much push, a yard or half a yard has been hard for us this year, when we get a great play that looks like a TD we need to challenge it regardless!  What if we would of came away with only 3 because we didn't challenge the TD, would be been HUGE!

#7 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

True, what I mean't was its been tough for us to score TD's this year, and are oline really doesn't get much push, a yard or half a yard has been hard for us this year, when we get a great play that looks like a TD we need to challenge it regardless!  What if we would of came away with only 3 because we didn't challenge the TD, would be been HUGE!

It would have, but if you and I recognize it, I'm sure the Ravens do and I think they're trying to avoid mistakes like week 1 and potential mistakes like they could have had there. The best we can say is that I hope it doesn't come back to haunt the Ravens.

#8 jkm5bmore

jkm5bmore

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

Agreed. I think as the coaching staff gets more familiar with the new team chemistry there will be greater trust with the leaders on the field to alert them to replys and challenges quicker. With all the vocal leaders gone - they have to develop more trust. That takes a little time. The up-side: I think we are improving in trust every game.

GO Raven!

Raven%20Leader2%20Signature.jpg

FlocksGotta'FEED!

#9 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think that was the right call not to challenge there. You have the ball on the 1 and the defense on its heels. A challenge not only has the chance of backfiring, but it also gives the D a break.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#10 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

I think that was the right call not to challenge there. You have the ball on the 1 and the defense on its heels. A challenge not only has the chance of backfiring, but it also gives the D a break

It should of been challenged, I mean the steelers D took us back 5 yards, an put us in a third an 6, rest should have nothing to do with challenges, if anything our O-line needed the rest to get a good push on the 1st an goal! 

Thankfully, Polamalu messed up his coverage, and we ended up getting the easy TD!

#11 Hey Diddle

Hey Diddle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

My heart sank when this didn't get challenged, I thought it could of been the low of the season if we didn't score there, an lost the game an our playoff chances!  That was an intense 3rd an goal, All because we wanted to save our flag encase we needed it later in the half? We needed it there!

#12 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

It should of been challenged, I mean the steelers D took us back 5 yards, an put us in a third an 6, rest should have nothing to do with challenges, if anything our O-line needed the rest to get a good push on the 1st an goal!

Thankfully, Polamalu messed up his coverage, and we ended up getting the easy TD!

No. There was far from definitive evidence, and the ball is at the 1. Its not close to worth the risk of losing a challenge that early in the game. Belichick had a similar situation and never challenges here, its just not smart.

Edited by gabefergy, 07 December 2013 - 05:03 PM.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#13 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

No. There was far from definitive evidence, and the ball is at the 1. Its not close to worth the risk of losing a challenge that early in the game. Belichick had a similar situation and never challenges here, its just not smart.

Completely agree.  There was no camera shot down the end zone line - all they showed on TV was from different angles that did not clearly show the ball going over the plane.  While I think he was in the end zone when his knee came down, I doubt the evidence was good enough to overturn the ruling on the field.

Not only that, but we were only 4 minutes and 30 seconds into the game.  You can't afford to challenge plays where the evidence isn't clear that early in the game.  We would have only had one challenge left for the entire game.

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

Yeah that Torrey play wouldn't have been a good challenge.  I'm 99% sure that it would not have been overturned and we'd be down a challenge and timeout.  There wasn't enough evidence either way you look at it.  However, I think the refs should have called it a touchdown since all touchdowns are subject to review.  If it's that close, call it a TD and send it up to the booth and let them choose, rather than make a coach potentially waste a challenge.  That's why they implemented that rule, right?

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#15 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yeah that Torrey play wouldn't have been a good challenge.  I'm 99% sure that it would not have been overturned and we'd be down a challenge and timeout.  There wasn't enough evidence either way you look at it.  However, I think the refs should have called it a touchdown since all touchdowns are subject to review.  If it's that close, call it a TD and send it up to the booth and let them choose, rather than make a coach potentially waste a challenge.  That's why they implemented that rule, right?

Drives me crazy when the refs do this.

They should err on the side of TDs and turnovers.  They will be reviewed anyway.  Refs do not seem to agree with me though lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users