10 replies to this topic

#1 AlaskanRavensFan

AlaskanRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Harbaugh has opened the door to shceme change, trades, cuts etc. I am curious to know what changes you all think and/or will happen before the Ravens play their next game on November 3rd.

Here are my thoughts:

Scheme change-

Offensive- I think the Ravens will continue the offensive trend they set against Pittsburgh. I expect to see more spread, more 3 WR sets and more shotgun. The Ravens couldn't get touchdowns on Sunday, but Flacco looked sharp for the most part and Rice saw some more space in the run game than he has in several weeks.

Defensive- I don't think there will be a whole lot of change in terms of scheme the addition of Cody back into the lineup and two weeks of rest for Ngata will be the biggest factors in the improvement in the run game.

Cuts- (possible not necessarily what I'd want and not necessarily all of them) Anthony Levine, Jeromy Miles, Michael Huff (still hope he can contribute at some point), A.Q. Shipley, Brandon Stokely, Vonta Leach (don't want to see this one, but if the Ravens decide to go with a pass-first, spread approach then I don't see Leach getting much playing time anyways).

Trades-

Fred Davis for 6th (that would give the Ravens another TE receiving threat... not a blockbuster but at this point in the season you wouldn't expect one)

-Kenny Britt for a 5th (he's not had a good season this year and his off the field issues are multiple, but Ray Rice knows him and may be able to get in his ear about turning his life and career around. He would certainly give the Ravens a legitimate counterpart to Smith) If this trade did go through I would expect to see Stokely cut.

Depth Chart Changes-

McClain becomes full time starter (Brown has yet to grab the job and McClain has much more experience than Bynes and can be the signal caller on defense.

Asa Jackson becomes nickel corner over Graham (this is unlikely to happen over the bye, but I think it will happen before the regular season is over.)

Ryan Jensen become starting center (Gradkowski hasn't really shown that he owns the spot and I have to believe that the coaches kept Jensen off of IR for something. Again this is one that may happen a little later than the bye)

Kyle Juszczyk becomes starting fullback (I don't expect to see the Ravens in much I-formation after the bye and Jus is a better receiver and can be one of the backs in a two-back shot-gun formation. The Ravens haven't been able to run the ball even with one of the best fullbacks in the game. I think the coaches are going to move on from that identity and hand the reigns over to Flacco)

I'm a machine Jerk!

#2 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

At this point, I don't know. There are not that many players I can point to and say "hey, now that guy is good!"

I'd agree on Asa as long as he's remained in shape the last 8 weeks and takes advantage of every snap he plays as he did in preseason.

I think the offense will remain as it is right now. Jacoby will be the #2 and Brown/Doss will do #3 by committee. We won't trade for a TE and give up anymore picks because Clark is actually starting to make plays. Dickson picked it up in Pitt. Nope. We won't make a TE move.

I have no idea why Stokely is still here. He's injured plus other guys are making plays. We are not hurting for WR. We won't trade for any. Torrey, Jacoby, Brown, Doss and Thompson are just fine.

I know what Harbaugh said but I really don't envision cuts other than if we need to make room for someone coming back like Asa or Pitta.

I would have liked to hear the word coach(s) when he said about doing what whatever it takes...I think there could be too many voices in the ears.

Edited by ravensdfan, 22 October 2013 - 12:01 AM.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#3 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

I don't really agree with starting McClain over Bynes at this point. Bynes has been getting better as the season goes along and has made a lot of plays especially in the run game. Him being out last week is a big reason why we got run all over imo. 

I think Fred Davis is a bit washed up at this point. He is basically Washington's version of Ed Dickson, all the ability but could never put it together. I like what I have seen out of Clark the past couple of weeks even though he is not a blocker in the least, he is a very steady receiver. I'm not interested in Britt at all.

I  do expect Asa Jackson to take over a roster spot when his suspension is over. He proved his worth in the preseason IMO. Whether or not he will leapfrog Graham on the depthchart I dont know, I think he has more talent, but will take some time as you stated.

I definitely don't think Jensen should start at C, a position he hasn't played at all for us. Frankly, there is zero reason to think he would be an upgrade and would probably just hurt the chemistry of the OL even worst. Gino has been really bad at times, but his play has improved. It's too early to pull the plug on him.

Edited by gabefergy, 22 October 2013 - 12:27 AM.

@gabefergy

#4 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

We should trade Castillo......

#5 Rav'n Maniac

Rav'n Maniac

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

The first thing they need to do is lower beer prices. We certainly need to drink more this season.

Please Help!  Wife and dog are missing. Reward offered for return of dog!

#6 Jokerraven

Jokerraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

I don't really agree with starting McClain over Bynes at this point. Bynes has been getting better as the season goes along and has made a lot of plays especially in the run game. Him being out last week is a big reason why we got run all over imo. 

I think Fred Davis is a bit washed up at this point. He is basically Washington's version of Ed Dickson, all the ability but could never put it together. I like what I have seen out of Clark the past couple of weeks even though he is not a blocker in the least, he is a very steady receiver. I'm not interested in Britt at all.

I  do expect Asa Jackson to take over a roster spot when his suspension is over. He proved his worth in the preseason IMO. Whether or not he will leapfrog Graham on the depthchart I dont know, I think he has more talent, but will take some time as you stated.

I definitely don't think Jensen should start at C, a position he hasn't played at all for us. Frankly, there is zero reason to think he would be an upgrade and would probably just hurt the chemistry of the OL even worst. Gino has been really bad at times, but his play has improved. It's too early to pull the plug on him.

I  agree 100% with everything you said I didn't think anyone other then myself noticed that Bynes was the reason the steelers ran all over us. Well  said .I would only add I believe Jensen is here for K.O not Gino and if folks would actually watch Gino he is improving . we have enough issues with execuetion etc we don't need britt to add to the problems we already have

#7 jimjim5

jimjim5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

He will do everything except fire his buddy.

#8 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I agree with half of your post, personnel changes need to be made but only to rest the starters carrying injuries.

You mention that McClain should be the starter because of his experience even though he's rusty, yet you think Asa Jackson and Ryan Jensen are ready to start?

#9 AlaskanRavensFan

AlaskanRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

I agree with half of your post, personnel changes need to be made but only to rest the starters carrying injuries.

You mention that McClain should be the starter because of his experience even though he's rusty, yet you think Asa Jackson and Ryan Jensen are ready to start?

I don't really think that McClain is rusty. I just know that Bynes had surgery on his finger and that McClain has more signal calling experience and starting experience in this defense and in general. I like Bynes because I think he adds some athleticism to he ILB group, but I think McClain's win out at least in base defensive packages. What I've seen and would like to continue seeing is Bynes and Brown in nickel packages. 

Asa and Ryan aren't necessarily ready to start this moment, but I think both will win starting within a few weeks of the bye.

I'm a machine Jerk!

#10 AlaskanRavensFan

AlaskanRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

I  agree 100% with everything you said I didn't think anyone other then myself noticed that Bynes was the reason the steelers ran all over us. Well  said .I would only add I believe Jensen is here for K.O not Gino and if folks would actually watch Gino he is improving . we have enough issues with execuetion etc we don't need britt to add to the problems we already have

I didn't notice Bynes missing so much as D. Smith guessing about which hole Bell was going to come out of. The defensive lineman were getting pushed back for much of the game, but a lot of the reason the runs were so consistently 6 or 7 yards was because Smith wasn't doing a good job of anticipating where the play was going. When he hesitated the guards would get to him and seal him off before he had a chance to make a play.

I think a chance to rest for Ngata and the return of Cody will have the greatest benefit to the run defense. Cody had looked good before his knee got jacked and Ngata could use the rest. Ideally the Ravens will cycle the d-lineman out in rotations, but they've been unable to to that with Cody banged up and other D-lineman (Williams, Spears, Canty) missing starts here and there. 

McClain and Bynes will both play, but I think McClain will be in for base defense and Bynes will replace him in Nickel. I like Bynes and think that he will eventually earn a long-term contract in bmore (been rooting for him since 12' preseason). However, the ability to have two guys in the ILB group who have experience and who can get everyone lined up and make checks/adjustments will be valuable I think.

Honestly I'd like to see the Ravens blitz the run more.

I'm a machine Jerk!

#11 AlaskanRavensFan

AlaskanRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

I don't really think we need Britt at this point with the development of Brown, Doss and the return of Jones to the lineup. However, how much threatening would our WR corps be with Smith, Britt, Jones, Doss, Brown and Thompson. 

At least we'd have two guys who are (or were) legitimate #1 receiving threats. He's still very talented and would come at a cheap price of a late draft pick and low salary. (the Ravens could probably use the pick they got for McKinnie because the Titans ownership is done with Britt at this point)

Fred Davis is only on there because I know the Redskins are shopping him and I know that we have had some issues at TE. I like the way Dickson and Clark have come on too, but we are still one injury away from having a depleted TE corp. 

I'm a machine Jerk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users